Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 20

Author Topic: Freeloader  (Read 39848 times)

Healy

• Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Freeloader
« Reply #100 on: April 30, 2009, 04:54:17 PM »

Ah, okay. I didn't know you could do that.

Anyway, I stopped playing shortly after the game started to open up. It's pretty fun, so far.
the assassination of video james by the coward electronic arts

SCD

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 30, 2009, 09:19:43 PM »

Left 4 dead is free for another day on steam.

Zaratustra

• what
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Zaratustra Productions
« Reply #102 on: May 08, 2009, 06:40:21 AM »

http://www.zachtronicsindustries.com/pivot/entry.php?id=82 Infiniminer is multiplayer dig something blah

Burrito Al Pastor

• Galatea is mai waifu
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 08, 2009, 10:23:15 AM »

Wizards of the Coast are giving away D&D 4E quick-start rules and the first published adventure. Worth a look if you're not already in on fourth edition or D&D generally.

But... but "Keep on the Shadowfell" was a TERRIBLE adventure!
 :ohshi~:
I'm a heartbreaker... My name... Charles.

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 08, 2009, 10:27:29 AM »

I'm always convinced that WotC marketing is specifically designed to drive away the general public.  You don't even have to think very hard for it to make perfect sense.

JDigital

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: May 08, 2009, 01:25:14 PM »

I never got what was bad about Keep on the Shadowfell, aside from it being a generic dungeon crawl with an awful lot of kobolds. The new adventure format seems a wondrous usability improvement, and the monster placement instructions on the room maps are easily ignored by DMs who like to decide tactics for themselves.

Burrito Al Pastor

• Galatea is mai waifu
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 08, 2009, 02:12:31 PM »

The balance was obscene. There was one particular goblin that the PCs are pretty much incapable of defeating; he'd be very hard even if the party was getting loot at a fraction of the DMG reccomended guidelines.

I think there's, like, three magic weapons, in total, over the course of the entire module, counting the one on the last boss. The party should be level 3 or 4 by then. Theoretically, they should all have at least one +1 weapon/implement, +1 armor, some other fun toys, and maybe even a +2 item by then.

Most of the mechanical issues are pretty easy to fix, of course... but if you have to fix the module to make it decent, then it's not very good for newbies who don't know how the game is balanced. :facepalm:

I'm always convinced that WotC marketing is specifically designed to drive away the general public.  You don't even have to think very hard for it to make perfect sense.

Ah, no, you're thinking of Games Workshop.

Saturn

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 09, 2009, 04:39:26 AM »

Wait, a GOBLIN was almost impossible to kill?

Burrito Al Pastor

• Galatea is mai waifu
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 09, 2009, 05:33:24 AM »

When you got him to half health, his damage output basically doubled and he gained regeneration. (Fast healing for you 3e'rs.)

I'll find the statblock tonight.

JDigital

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 09, 2009, 12:41:05 PM »

I think I've found it: Irontooth, an elite level 3 goblin, backed up by a level 3 kobold, two level 2 kobolds, three level 1 kobolds and ten weaker kobold mooks. The party at this stage is level 1.

Irontooth has 106 hit points and an AC of 16. He attacks +8 vs AC for 1d8+4 damage, and can attack two targets per round if he doesn't move. Any time he's on half hit points or less, his attacks deal an additional 1d10 and he heals 5 hit points at the end of each turn.

That's 6-22 damage (average 14) against one or two targets per round. He hits the pregenerated dwarf fighter 60% of the time and on average will kill him in two hits. The fighter hits him 50% of the time dealing 2d6+3 (5-15, average 10). On average, the fighter's basic attacks only just keep Irontooth's regeneration down, which conveniently keeps Irontooth's damage up.

Supposing the rogue makes it past the sixteen underlings and flanks Irontooth, he hits 70% of the time with Sly Flourish for 1d4+7+2d8 (10-27, average 18). That is to say, that once bloodied it takes the fighter and rogue working together an average of just over 4 rounds to kill Irontooth, while it takes Irontooth an average of 3.69 rounds to kill the fighter, assuming the fighter is on full hit points when is the goblin is bloodied and no other minions attack the fighter.

Doom

• ~run liek a wind~
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 09, 2009, 12:50:10 PM »

Pretty terrible for it's level, though an Orbizard could take him.

I wouldn't expect "My First DnD" players to make Orbizards, though!

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 09, 2009, 12:57:41 PM »

"Your First DnD" player wouldn't bother to read all that number-spew that JD just wrote.

Doom

• ~run liek a wind~
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 09, 2009, 01:02:40 PM »

True, but he's going to be pretty sad when it results in "You're all dead because you can't kill this one Goblin."

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 09, 2009, 01:04:53 PM »

How long until I get my first Summon?

Doom

• ~run liek a wind~
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 09, 2009, 01:05:52 PM »

Half a year, I'd wager. Unless they snuck Real Conjurin' into that Arcane Tome they just released. Otherwise you'll wait for PHB3 and you'll like it.

I hate 4e-style summoning.

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 09, 2009, 01:06:49 PM »

It doesn't even take that long to hit endgame in WoW.   ::(:

Doom

• ~run liek a wind~
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 09, 2009, 01:09:25 PM »

As far as I can tell(I havn't read that Arcane Tome, for example) 4e summoning consists of burning half of your turns indefinitely to keep a single summon out, doing anything. You know, like a pair of angels who'll poke anything that passes by them, or an arguably bad-ass giant ice hand who replaces your Wizard if you want it to actually stick around past the first round.

3e was a lot better cause it looked pathetically weak until you realized you could summon a pack of wolves on top of anything within the spell's range who will automatically flank the target from all sides and attempt to trip it with every bite. Then Unearthed Arcana let you specialize into it and groom your own personal summons that grew stronger as you used them, almost.

Zaratustra

• what
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Zaratustra Productions
« Reply #117 on: May 09, 2009, 04:28:05 PM »

More infiniminer:

Beat Bandit

• be entranced by my sexy rhythm
  • High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 09, 2009, 04:30:03 PM »

MY main annoyance with the game right now, other than not getting many people to play at once, is that the prospector's gun shoots through blocks. So, if there's ore with-in range and it's anywhere past where you're pointing, it's pretty useless.

Smiler

• HOM NOM NOM NOM
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 09, 2009, 04:39:05 PM »

I'm really liking infiniminer. I mostly like making huge tunnels until I fall to my death because my tunnel was over a huge cavern.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 20