Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Author Topic: Chiptune enthusiasm  (Read 1542 times)

James Edward Smith

• CIS male, Albeist Scumbag
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Chiptune enthusiasm
« on: August 29, 2008, 11:32:52 PM »

Ha! I've found it; this will be the most videogame related thread the non-videogame board will ever see!

I'm too tired to make a big openning post about the whole chiptune scene to start this thread off, but I'll keep posting stuff in here whenever some thing comes up and maybe this'll actually turn into more of a thread.

But just to start things off, some of my favourite artists and groups in the field are YMCK who I still think are probably the best chiptune creators out there outside of the people who actually did this stuff for games back in the NES days of our youths. Before they came out, a lot of chiptune bands were just Swedish and Japanese wankers who made lame Euro-dance sounding garbage that I couldn't listen to for more than a minute or so, tops. But then YMCK came out of no where and made what was essentially a J-pop album that consisted entirely of the NES sound chip and a Japanese girl singing in Japanese and broken English. You know how a lot of people used to say that German was the perfect language for industrial music? Well it turns out that a Japanese girl is the perfect vocal accompaniment for NES chiptunes.

Normally, I completely abhor J-pop as the pathetic final stage of the late 90s caucasian "otaku", but YMCK's Family Music was something completely different. I mean, it was jpop, but with the NES as the only instument it took all of the gay, over the sappiness out of the sound and to be fair, YMCK's main composer seems to have a lot more of a Jazz influence going on. If you've never heard the album before and you grew up with the NES as your playmate, then you should really check it out.

So other guys I like are American groups that mix the NES in with their garage band guitars in a tasteful way like Anamaguchi. Bit Shifter has always been a big name in the genre since back when it was just dance fags doing it and for the longest time I hated him just like all those Swedes I rag on. But last year I saw him live at Blip Fest in NYC and he really won me over. His stuff doesn't have that videogame soundtrack sound that I love and mostly uses Gameboys which I have no nostagia for, but hearing him played really loud in a room full of fools dancing really makes you get him better. It's just good to dance to. It worked on me anyway. I do still hate his whole holier than thou attitude where he goes on about how chiptunes has nothing to do with videogames and are about expession through intentionally restricted means. I mean, of course it's that, but don't act like people are lame if they like it because of a lifetime of being a gamer, you pretentious jackass.

But I digress, the reason I made this thread was cause I was listening to the first compilation (that's volume 1) that this site ever put out. Most of the music on the compilations is actually old game soundtrack stuff rather than new compositions, but there's a track on Volume one by some Japanese guy called Naruto that was never put in a game and it really hit the spot for me.

Talk? Talk is for lovers, Merlin. I need a sword to be king.

Dooly

• Who?
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Chiptune enthusiasm
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2008, 11:57:51 PM »

I've heard of using NES MIDI as an intrument to make regular music, but I prefer it the other way around.
:painful: :painful: :painful: :painful: :painful: :painful: :painful: :painful:
:painful: :painful: :painful: :painful: :painful: :painful: :painful:

James Edward Smith

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2008, 10:55:18 AM »

Where as I think that sucks and turns into this and then sucks even harder.

Also see those extremely lame a cappella groups who sing the tetris fever song and Zelda's overworld music over and over again on youtube. I do have to commend them for combining the extreme nerdiness of a cappella singing with the equal nerdiness of videogame soundtrack obsession though. That takes some godamn balls... or at least ones that will never be used for their intended purpose.

EmaWii

• Tested
    • View Profile
    • Game Blog
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2008, 10:55:40 AM »

What are some other bands like Anamaguchi?

James Edward Smith

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2008, 11:07:37 AM »

Honestly, my chiptune fandom isn't fervorous enough. I mean, I did visit NYC for the express purpose of seeing the Blip Festival (Well okay, a hot asian girl who I was trying to bang just wanted to go to New York in general), but I don't keep up with it enough to really know every band there is. Also, it's such a young and fragile scene that there actually might not be any one like them, at least not anyone who you'd want to listen to.

On that note, I think I do actually remember some people who had a similar instrument setup at least, but none that were good enough that I remembered their names. If you want a band that is similar although not chiptune based at all, I'd say Battles though. Oh, Mark Denardo is actually fairly similar, but it's hard to get his music and the only song of his I've heard that I really like is Monkey Mountain of which the version he did for the PixelJam game Dino Run is way better than the one where he sings.

Just as a side anecdote; Anamanaguchi played Blip Fest when I went and I had a chance to talk to the lead guitarist/vocalist after the show. He invited me to some party that was in Brooklyn somewhere. I went for a bit, but it just seemed like a bunch of New Yorkers who knew eachother already and were too shy to mingle too much outside of their circles so it wasn't that fun. He was a cool guy though.

Norondor

• Where I'm at is: Fuck you, get shot
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2008, 02:59:18 PM »

What are some other bands like Anamaguchi?

ZIPANGU CHIPTUNES: YMCK, momo-i (look for the famison albums), Plus-Tech Squeeze Box

also maybe check out GOLDEN SHOWER

James Edward Smith

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2009, 12:21:00 AM »

YMCK has released an other album. It seems pretty cool from the clips too which is great because to be honest, I didn't like Family Genesis that much. It just didn't seem to have that same charm that Music and Racing did.

Also, this chick from Seatle has a pretty cool sound going too.

sei

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2009, 03:42:21 AM »

Goto80 (artist's Last.fm station) is worth investigating.

Rico

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2009, 07:34:20 PM »

I'm kind of tempted to go to that upcoming show but... what the fuck happens at a chiptune show at a bar?

Mothra

• ┐('~`;)┌ w/e
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2009, 08:05:31 PM »

I've mentioned them in the other music thread, but Tree Wave is pretty much exactly what I look for in a chiptune band. They've got a few MP3's for download up at their site, if yous fancies.

James Edward Smith

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2009, 08:29:54 PM »

I'm kind of tempted to go to that upcoming show but... what the fuck happens at a chiptune show at a bar?

Uhm well. All I've ever been to was Blipfest and that was pretty much a rock show with full on moshpit in terms of atmosphere once it really got going, but the people who go to Blipfest really wanna rock out to chiptunes and the fact that so many performers are there from so many places around the globe gets everyone sorta pumped. I think it will very much be up to the people there and the artist herself to create how the show is. I mean, there's a chiptune esque DJ and singer band here called Crystal Castles and they try and have a really punky show with a lot of screaming, but I mean, that's their thing.

So I guess my answer is, I have no idea.