Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 37

Author Topic: No, I will not fix your computer.  (Read 61825 times)

Rosencrantz

• Renegade Game Counselor
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: No, I will not fix your computer.
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2008, 05:24:04 PM »

So, my mom's laptop started acting funny and she decided to take matters into her own hands. Needless to say, she doesn't know dick about computers, so this has been the pattern over the last few days:

1. She attempts to fix something on the laptop
2. It doesn't work, so she starts using computer-related words she must have heard on Oprah to describe the situation to me
3. I try to help, but she declines the offer
4. She gets furious at the machine, and I can hear the screams on the other side of the house
5. She stops down to my room, screams at me while trying to explain the problem using her moon language
6. I fix the typically-simple problem
7. Start back at 1.

One of the funnier things she's yelled recently was when she had some stupid internet connection issue. She claimed that both Internet Explorer and Foxfire (that's what she calls it) weren't working because they're not HP products, and she is running an HP laptop, so HP is "angry" that she's trying to run them.  :MENDOZAAAAA:

Romosome

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2008, 05:43:31 PM »

My mom knows computers decently and it still took her a few weeks to stop saying "Foxfire".

It's not really irritating.  I found the opposite example to be more annoying:

Lorrin Foxfire - NPC

A reference to firefox?
An obvious one, I might add. ;)

:facepalm:

Friday

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2008, 01:30:19 PM »

I have never understood this shit.

I mean, in thirty years, are we gonna be like this with virtual mindmeld consoles or whatever?

I CAN'T GET MY ROCKET PACK TO WORK AND THE FLYING CAR STILL ISN'T INVENTED. SON CAN YOU COME OVER AND FIGHT NAZIS

Niku

• MEAT
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2008, 01:31:20 PM »

my parents keep trying to get me to take an it job just because i can basically bang on my router really hard and 5 times out of 10 get it working within an hour
i'm a blog now, blogs are cool: a fantastic machine made of meat

Rosencrantz

• Renegade Game Counselor
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2008, 02:00:48 PM »

my parents keep trying to get me to take an it job just because i can basically bang on my router really hard and 5 times out of 10 get it working within an hour

Oh god, my parents are like this too. My mom keeps trying to get me to take an IT job at the hospital she works at. When I inform her that I don't know nearly enough to even get hired, she insists that they will teach me whatever I need to know. They're shocked that I don't want to "major in computers" in college, as well.  :facepalm:

I have never understood this shit.

I mean, in thirty years, are we gonna be like this with virtual mindmeld consoles or whatever?

I CAN'T GET MY ROCKET PACK TO WORK AND THE FLYING CAR STILL ISN'T INVENTED. SON CAN YOU COME OVER AND FIGHT NAZIS

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2008, 02:14:14 PM »

Related strip yesterday.

Anyway.  As Brent pointed out on page 1, we're sorta talking about different things here.  The reason I haven't applied for an IT job lately is that I fucking hate IT, not that I'm lacking in experience or credentials.  Kazz and Niku make a valid point when they say a totally average user of our generation is automatically assumed to be more capable than a user of an older generation, but OTOH when my family assumes I know more about computers than they do, well, I like to think my degree says they have a point (even if prospective employers seem to disagree).

All that said, I don't think we've got a single user on this forum whose skill level is average or lower.  I worked at the campus computer store for a few months.  Do you know how many people don't know the difference between Windows and Office?

McDohl

• Pika-boo
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2008, 02:20:36 PM »

It was sort of the inverse a few years back when I was living in Richardson, just north of Dallas.  Dad was the big computer guru of the block, and it was something of a second business run out of the garage (his first business was also run out of the garage, incidentally).  Bottom line, Dad was the go-to guy for computer stuff.

Last year, when I was going through some computer issues for something (can't remember what exactly):

ME: Hey Dad, do you know anything about this?
DAD: Uh...not really.  I don't keep up with computer stuff much anymore...

I guess switching careers from software engineer to directional drilling lead will do that to you.  Thankfully, he's still competent enough to tech support for Mom and my sister, so I don't have to get involved.  Now, as far as things go for the Wii (which my sister got for Christmas last year)...

Uhh, oh boy. :facepalm:

Alex

• the Slug
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2008, 02:26:43 PM »

I love being the black sheep (read: the only person who plays video games) of my family, so I never had to worry about the HAY ALEX HOW DO YOU HOOK THIS SUPER X-DREAMGAMEBOXSTATIONTENDO 360 UP TO THE TV AS COLOR COORDINATED AUDIO AND VIDEO JACKS ARE TOO HARD EVEN THOUGH I CAN HOOK MY VCR AND DVD PLAYERS UP FINE requests.

McDohl

• Pika-boo
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2008, 02:30:53 PM »

Mainly it's about the software that comes out for it, and not the technical aspects of it.  Mom's pretty on the ball, and she can figure out how things work pretty easily.  I just sort of have to field the questions that a Gamestop employee might have to field, other than the "DO YOU HAVE ANY WIISIXTY 3'S IN STOCK?!"

EDIT: Wow, 300th post.

Bongo Bill

• Dinosaurcerer
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2008, 02:53:25 PM »

I'm happy to do tech support for most of my family, as long as they remember the things that I tell them. Which is rare. But I've almost got my mother trained to recognize phishing, and my dad's not intimidated, just inexperienced, so the things that befuddle him are the things that are genuinely stupid about software.

On the other hand, I have relatives who ask me to hook up RCA cables for them. Color-coded RCA cables. And these are people who understand how the "input" button on the TV works, so I just can't imagine what they're afraid of. But they've had problems with technology in the past and now they're neurotic, or something.
...but is it art?

Niku

• MEAT
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2008, 03:00:05 PM »

The reason I haven't applied for an IT job lately is that I fucking hate IT, not that I'm lacking in experience or credentials.

Yeah it's not like I wouldn't be willing to shore up my deficient knowledge for a job but uh

i don't want to work in IT at all ever
i'm a blog now, blogs are cool: a fantastic machine made of meat

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2008, 03:06:03 PM »

Me neither, but if I don't get a job I actually like soon, I'm going to have to bite the bullet and do it.

Kayma

• kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • http://twitter.com/kayma
« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2008, 05:54:21 PM »

Having just graduated college and having basically no real job experience, I am very, very close to taking a help desk job........

help me guys  :ohshi~:

Kazz

• Projekt Direktor
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2008, 06:05:18 PM »

My plan for the future is to work for, and with, people who know more than me.

MadMAxJr

• Tested
    • View Profile
    • RPG Q&A
« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2008, 06:38:43 PM »

I dodged the help desk job.  I did not get a fucking four year degree to help people with excel '97.

Any IT job where you have to deal with 'help tickets' in any form, you will want to kill yourself in a month.  I had to do this at ATK.  However, I had to do help desk tickets on TOP of being a programmer, and occasional go-to hardware helper.

You want a job that clearly defines programming, if you're trained for it.  Failing that, I hope you are qualified to manipulate databases.  There is a need for database engineers.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt." - Bertrand Russell

Got questions about RPGs?

Lady Duke

• Shiny Ranger
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2008, 06:51:49 PM »

Parents with computer problems makes me crazy.  I make Kazz deal with my mom's derpy computer problems, because I get irritated after she can't get some simple task that I've taught her about at least a dozen times.  If she doesn't want to write down the steps, I'm not helping.

Kayma

• kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • http://twitter.com/kayma
« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2008, 08:57:14 PM »

You want a job that clearly defines programming, if you're trained for it.  Failing that, I hope you are qualified to manipulate databases.  There is a need for database engineers.

I program abut as well as a monkey. A smart monkey, but a monkey nonetheless. I'm boned.

MadMAxJr

• Tested
    • View Profile
    • RPG Q&A
« Reply #37 on: September 05, 2008, 03:55:38 AM »

I should clairify.  Database engineer does not mean you hit a server with a wrench all day, and ward off spies.  I mean, you get to do that, it's just less than 20% of your duties.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt." - Bertrand Russell

Got questions about RPGs?

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 05, 2008, 08:52:22 AM »

You mean I actually have to use the shotgun too?

Royal☭

• Supreme Court Judge President
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 05, 2008, 10:17:58 AM »

Spy sapping my spreadsheets?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 37