Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 37

Author Topic: No, I will not fix your computer.  (Read 61807 times)

Royal☭

• Supreme Court Judge President
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: No, I will not fix your computer.
« Reply #100 on: April 13, 2009, 06:19:36 PM »

Forum overload.

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 13, 2009, 06:20:38 PM »

Clearly.

Royal☭

• Supreme Court Judge President
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 13, 2009, 06:21:16 PM »

Then it's agreed.

Classic

• Happens more often than you'd think.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 13, 2009, 08:00:34 PM »

Sick dogs?

You mean like... Like Constantine and Brentai?

Beat Bandit

• be entranced by my sexy rhythm
  • High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 20, 2009, 02:25:25 PM »

I know there was a thread more directly pertaining to computer security but fuck if I can find it. My laptop got the wincodec pro trojan last night that I had never heard of but apparently should have since everyone I talked to today made a grimaced face when I mentioned it.

Anyway, I have an Acer Aspire 5000, when I noticed it developing on my laptop I already had ten IE pages opened and not fully loaded, and twenty of the fake prompts telling me that my computer was about to esplode, with about half as many from AVG saying the same thing. The computer was frozen because of all of the bullshit that had been opened, and when I rebooted it I kept getting the prompts, couldn't open Firefox, or the task manager, with ctrl + alt + delete or the command prompt. It started fucking with me too, decreasing my resolution to 800x400 and things like that. Now the computer just plain wont load from the Acer screen on boot-up and I was praying there was a chance to save it without a full Windows reinstall since I seem to have lost the disks.

Doom

• ~run liek a wind~
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: April 20, 2009, 02:46:14 PM »

That second paragraph is the most amazing sequence of bullets-to-feet I've ever seen.

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 21, 2009, 07:13:57 AM »

Turns out I actually fried my processor on the old compy. It's a shame too, since it was almost ten. I promised the guy I bought it from that I'd dust out the new one he built for me once a week.

I can use an airbrush for that, right?

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 01, 2009, 05:01:34 AM »

Okay, this is driving me nuts because I know the answer's gotta be obvious and I'm just missing it.

How the fuck do you turn off the little CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICKETY CLICK default noise in Windows when you navigate in IE (or Windows Explorer), when you click a link, go forward, go back, etc.

You know, the kind of noises that very clearly tell your coworkers across the office that HAY GUYS I AM SURFING THE INTARNETS HOPE Y'R NOT BUSY, LET ME RUB YOUR FACES INTO THE FACT THAT I AM DONE MY MORNING ORDERS (sorry, it's a work computer, so I'm stuck with shitty IE).

I mean at first I thought "Oh man, I'm dumb, it must be the generic windows navigation setting and not in IE.", but I'll be damned if I don't see anything for it in the Windows audio settings.

I have been searching in the damn IE and Windows settings for twenty damn minutes without success. So I must give up and confess my utter retardedness.

Detonator

• You made me come back for THIS?
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 01, 2009, 05:13:27 AM »

Mute the volume?
"Imagine punching somebody so hard that they turned into a door. Then you found out that's where ALL doors come from, and you got initiated into a murder club that makes doors. The stronger you punch, the better the door. So there are like super strong murderers who punch people into Venetian doors and shit"

Ted Belmont

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 01, 2009, 05:17:36 AM »

Don't use IE?

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 01, 2009, 05:53:26 AM »

Mute the volume?

I do that sometimes, but I want to be able to listen to my mp3s or internet radio.

Don't use IE?
(sorry, it's a work computer, so I'm stuck with shitty IE).

:imagination: WHY DO I TYPE WERDS

Ted Belmont

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 01, 2009, 05:57:01 AM »

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 01, 2009, 06:05:17 AM »

Okay fine. Another workaround.

Is it so wrong to just want to get Windows to do what I tell it to do, just this once, just for this one little thing?

It's the moral victory, man, the Moral Victory:enraged:

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 01, 2009, 07:44:15 AM »

I mean at first I thought "Oh man, I'm dumb, it must be the generic windows navigation setting and not in IE.", but I'll be damned if I don't see anything for it in the Windows audio settings.

It's called "Start Navigation" under the Windows Explorer section.  Just tested it.  Ted's solution is probably better all around of course.

How come you're worried about your coworkers hearing your clicking and not worried that they can hear you listening to podcasts?

MadMAxJr

• Tested
    • View Profile
    • RPG Q&A
« Reply #114 on: May 01, 2009, 07:57:08 AM »

Get an IronKey. (Not a cheap solution)

Quote from: Thinkgeek website
A secure copy of Firefox included with your IronKey encrypts your browsing session through a VPN tunnel to IronKey's Secure Sessions Service. It works by tunneling your entire web browsing communications through the Tor-based Secure Sessions proxy on your IronKey. The Secure Sessions tunnel connects over an encrypted connection to their network routing servers, which in turn route your traffic between a number of servers, and then eventually out to your destination website. This approach protects your identity and your confidentiality, encrypting and anonymizing your Web surfing on almost any network or VPN (virtual private network).

This thing even defeats some web-filters.

Cool points because this key will /destroy/ itself if someone bruteforces your password more than ten times.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt." - Bertrand Russell

Got questions about RPGs?

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 01, 2009, 08:00:24 AM »

Most of them listen to music while working, it's not a big deal. Surfing the internet for hours might be frowned on though.

EDIT. Oh hey, that's neat Max. I don't need it, because my traffic isn't monitored remotely*, but that's definitely a cool-as-hell buy.

*If it was I totally would have been shitcanned by now... so many days in the last month where it's just been totally dead... endless days wasted browsing bad forums.

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 01, 2009, 08:01:39 AM »

We :wuv: you too.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 01, 2009, 08:03:02 AM »

We :wuv: you too.

*Points to forum name*

WEAR IT WITH PRIDE BOYS.

I was really thinking of the MTG and other CCG forums I scan, but the joke reply is better.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 01, 2009, 08:07:16 AM »

It's called "Start Navigation" under the Windows Explorer section.  Just tested it. 

Blessed relief from annoying clicking noises.

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #119 on: May 02, 2009, 02:24:33 PM »

First thing I do on a clean install of pretty much any OS is turn off ALL the sound notifications.  About the only one I need is "IM received when window is not focused".  The rest have no utility and just annoy me.

The fact that actually popping up little notifications in the corner of the screen has become vogue is something of a mixed bag.  They're certainly more detailed than just playing a sound or showing an icon, but they've become decidedly overused and another thing for me to just turn off.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 37