Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 58

Author Topic: Jap Cartoons  (Read 92217 times)

Arc

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Jap Cartoons
« Reply #100 on: September 28, 2008, 07:45:40 AM »

Soul Eater is just spunky enough to keep me coming back, but the appeal isn't universal enough to recommend outright.

The two superstars of the season, Code Geass & Macross Frontier, just finished. Gundam 00 will be taking their place.

Disposable Ninja

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 28, 2008, 07:53:37 AM »

Speaking of Code Geass: Cartoon Network just ceased airing it completely a handfull of episodes before it ends.

Ditto Naruto and the filler hell.

That's a fat load of fuck you if ever I have seen.

MadMAxJr

• Tested
    • View Profile
    • RPG Q&A
« Reply #102 on: September 28, 2008, 08:00:58 AM »

So... Are they 'done' with anime or what?  Because last week I managed to get a new episode of Code Geass on my DVR on sunday at close to two in the morning.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt." - Bertrand Russell

Got questions about RPGs?

Arc

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 28, 2008, 08:14:30 AM »

MadMAxJr

• Tested
    • View Profile
    • RPG Q&A
« Reply #104 on: September 28, 2008, 08:28:03 AM »

Dammit, so I missed an episode somewhere.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt." - Bertrand Russell

MarsDragon

• NO FUCKS LEFT TO GIVE
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: September 28, 2008, 10:25:46 AM »

Seriously, as much as I'm a curmudegeon yelling at the kids to get off his (admittedly nonexistant) lawn, I have no natural bias against Anime. But I sure don't see anything worth watching right now.

Protip: This has always been true. You just only got good to slightly medicore stuff before, and even the medicore stuff was exciting and new.

Romosome

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 28, 2008, 11:13:04 AM »

I still miss the homegrown charm and slightly-grungy aesthetics of the OAV/VHS era.

Can we stop buying anime for a while so their production budgets go down again?

Classic

• Happens more often than you'd think.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 28, 2008, 11:20:00 AM »

We... we could just take away all of their computers. I like animation to have lots of frames.

Arc

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 28, 2008, 11:27:20 AM »

That may be the problem. Sales in the United States plummeted last year, and in some cases didn't even break even with the budget. Target no longer stocks anime, Best Buy has cut down drastically on orders, and 35% of the market (Tower Records / Musicland / Media Play) are now out of business. Meanwhile, the market in Japan is steady, but is just retreading itself to death. Haruhi was a gigantic international hit, yet producers are just creating the same junk for random niche markets in Japan. Fansubs have destroyed profits, but if companies bothered to play it smart and release simultaneously in the American & Japanese markets, then the good times could roll.

Romosome

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 28, 2008, 11:43:02 AM »

To be honest I just want a return to late 80s/early 90s scifi aesthetics in general, not just in anime.

Hell, let's just get that going in real life.

Cthulhu-chan

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 28, 2008, 12:05:30 PM »

I can see nothing wrong with this plan!

Disposable Ninja

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: September 28, 2008, 12:10:05 PM »

Not me. I actually like the way everything looks like an iPod these days.

Cthulhu-chan

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: September 28, 2008, 12:12:17 PM »

fuck you technology needs to look more like technology

this sanitized aesthetic is getting fucking old

• Magic Gunner Miss Blue
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: September 28, 2008, 12:14:29 PM »

Fansubs have destroyed profits, but if companies bothered to play it smart and release simultaneously in the American & Japanese markets, then the good times could roll.

Has Japan gotten over it's superiority complex for that? Because there's still a rather large "We're better than you" that's getting in the way of "letting those filthy roundeyes have our cartoons"

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: September 28, 2008, 12:35:36 PM »

Seriously, as much as I'm a curmudegeon yelling at the kids to get off his (admittedly nonexistant) lawn, I have no natural bias against Anime. But I sure don't see anything worth watching right now.

Protip: This has always been true. You just only got good to slightly medicore stuff before, and even the medicore stuff was exciting and new.

Sirrah, I beg to differ.

The last time the retreaded comedy of a 'typical' anime series was new and amusing to me, I was 16 and Ranma 1/2 was still new over here.

MadMAxJr

• Tested
    • View Profile
    • RPG Q&A
« Reply #115 on: September 28, 2008, 02:56:59 PM »

I prefer series that actually end within my lifetime.

Alex

• the Slug
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: September 28, 2008, 03:05:23 PM »

I would be okay if Japan dropped all these slice of life and harem comedies shows then went back to focus on cool stuff again.  Like Angel Cop or Ninja Scroll and so on and so forth.

Doom

• ~run liek a wind~
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: September 28, 2008, 03:14:14 PM »

It sort of pleases me to know that I will finally read the end of One Piece in my 30s.

ps: Thriller Bark is awesome.

• Magic Gunner Miss Blue
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: September 28, 2008, 03:56:06 PM »

So... Are they 'done' with anime or what?  Because last week I managed to get a new episode of Code Geass on my DVR on sunday at close to two in the morning.

The same guy who dropped the megaton bomb that Toonami was ending that very night also said the reason for Code Geass being moved to the death slot was abysmal ratings.

MarsDragon

• NO FUCKS LEFT TO GIVE
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: September 28, 2008, 04:29:16 PM »

Sirrah, I beg to differ.

The last time the retreaded comedy of a 'typical' anime series was new and amusing to me, I was 16 and Ranma 1/2 was still new over here.

I'm not sure what you're saying here. You posted some good anime, two from recent years, one old. Okay? I never said there wasn't good anime, just that the ratio of good to crap is the same as it's always been. Surgeon's Law isn't just for western media.

Then you bring out how the last time you thought a 'typical' anime series was funny was when Ranma 1/2 was new, which fits right in with my second point, that back when anime was new and exciting over here, even mediocre stuff was exciting because of novelty. You say you beg to differ, but from what I can tell we're saying the same thing.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 58