Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8

Author Topic: Good Old Games  (Read 10583 times)

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Good Old Games
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2008, 05:17:18 PM »

Except that these games work on Vista and XP with little to no trouble?

Well, that's a little more like it.
Is there a catalog I don't have to sign up to see?

Guild

• High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2008, 05:20:28 PM »

Guild: Severe ADHD/Bi-Polar. Snapped, had an episode, almost killed someone and didn't know it.

:(

Bongo Bill

• Dinosaurcerer
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2008, 05:34:02 PM »

Except that these games work on Vista and XP with little to no trouble?

Well, that's a little more like it.
Is there a catalog I don't have to sign up to see?

According to what I can see, there's the following available now:

1nsane
Conquest of the New World
Descent + Descent 2
Descent 3 + Expansion
Die by the Sword + Expansion
Earthworm Jim 3D
Evolva
F/A-18E Super Hornet
Fallout
Fallout 2
Fallout Tactics
Freespace + Expansion
Freespace 2
Giants: Citizen Kabuto
Hostile Waters: Antaeus Rising
Invictus: In the Shadow of Olympus
Jagged Alliance 2: Unfinished Business
Kingpin: Life of Crime
Lionheart: Legacy of the Crusader
M.A.X. + M.A.X. 2
MDK
MDK 2
Messiah
Original War
Perimeter
Sacrifice
Shattered Steel
Shogo: Mobile Armor Division

And the following listed as Coming Soon:

Colin McRae Rally 2005
Operation Flashpoint GotY
Redneck Rampage Collection
Soldiers: Heroes of World War II
Stonekeep
TOCA Race Driver 3
...but is it art?

Catloaf

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2008, 05:36:00 PM »

Warning - while you were typing a new reply has been posted. You may wish to review your post.

Shit, BongoBill beat me to it.

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2008, 05:41:45 PM »

Earthworm Jim 3D

The fuck?

I've got a copy of the ORIGINAL Earthworm Jim that doesn't work under XP.

Shinra

• Big Juicy Winners
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2008, 05:56:30 PM »

If they can get Baldur's gate I&II, Icewind Dale I&II and Torment on that list I'm sold 4eva.

TA

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2008, 07:05:10 PM »

So, out of curiosity, what games do you play?

A lot of games.  I think that's not what you're meaning to ask, though.  I think what you're asking is what games I buy, and the answer to that is "games that I want to play which do not install DRM, do not require online activation for an offline game, and games where my ownership can be transferred in accordance with US law."  Which is increasingly few, these days.
Do you understand how terrifying the words “vibrating strap on” are for an asexual? That’s like saying “the holocaust” to a Jew.

Burrito Al Pastor

• Galatea is mai waifu
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2008, 08:06:01 PM »

Wow. That's, what, Stardock? Does anybody else really do that? You've ruled out pretty much anything from Valve, for example... or EA... or any MMO...

I guess you're not onboard for this "digital distribution" thing, huh?
I'm a heartbreaker... My name... Charles.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2008, 08:08:02 PM »

Not the point.  They're claiming to sell you a game, when they're actually not giving you ownership over anything.  They're claiming to be DRM-free, when their system is such that they're giving you no rights at all.  Fuck them.

There's a contact link on the site.  Given their emphasis on you owning the game, they might be open to complaints about the fact that you actually don't.

• Magic Gunner Miss Blue
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2008, 08:23:58 PM »

Wow. That's, what, Stardock? Does anybody else really do that? You've ruled out pretty much anything from Valve, for example... or EA... or any MMO...

I guess you're not onboard for this "digital distribution" thing, huh?

Yeah, you're pretty much limited to like, two games. And one of them is crappy.

Also, thanks to help and sneakyness from a #ffer, I got into the GOG beta.

WOO DESCENT.

TA

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2008, 08:26:08 PM »

MMOs are different.  In that, you're by the nature of the game not paying for a single-player offline thing, you're paying for access to the service.  The MMO I play, City of Heroes, lets you download the client for free, without an account.  If you managed to find a pirate server for it?  Nothing gets in the way of that.

You're right in that I refuse to give Valve or EA my money anymore.  I'm looking forward to Fallout 3 and Dawn of War 2, as previous Bethesda and DoW games have been perfectly in line with the very simple concept of actually owning a copy of the game you're purchasing.

Not the point.  They're claiming to sell you a game, when they're actually not giving you ownership over anything.  They're claiming to be DRM-free, when their system is such that they're giving you no rights at all.  Fuck them.

There's a contact link on the site.  Given their emphasis on you owning the game, they might be open to complaints about the fact that you actually don't.

Well, I asked their Support line yesterday, and was told "No" earlier today.  Sent the email to their Contact line, though.  Who knows?  Maybe they'll see reason.
Do you understand how terrifying the words “vibrating strap on” are for an asexual? That’s like saying “the holocaust” to a Jew.

MadMAxJr

• Tested
    • View Profile
    • RPG Q&A
« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2008, 08:45:08 PM »

Messiah! Man, I had almost forgotten that game.  Hell of a lot of fun to play, shit ending.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt." - Bertrand Russell

Got questions about RPGs?

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2008, 09:08:27 PM »

Man, I've been playing an entire series like that.

Kashan

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2008, 09:27:20 PM »

I just don't get the emphasis on owning a game vs purchasing right in perpetuity to download an play the game through a specific system front end or service, especially when you play MMOs. It seems like the real breaking point for you is that you can't sell or loan the game to somebody else without selling the whole account or what have you, but I can't remember the last time there was a real secondary market for pc game. Certainly before DRM became a big thing. And as for not being able to loan the game to friends. Yeah I guess that kind of sucks, but if it were really an issue to you couldn't you just have a different steam or whatever account for each game you purchased and loan the account and therefore the game that way?

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2008, 09:32:50 PM »

I think I've actually transferred more MMO accounts to other people than I've ever given PC games to other people, despite one being ostensibly legal and the other being some kind of federal offense.

Bongo Bill

• Dinosaurcerer
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2008, 09:51:30 PM »

From a strictly economic perspective, software is going to have to work differently from physical goods, just by the sheer nature of the product. People are still trying to figure out just what that means, and the envelope isn't always going to be pushed in desirable directions.

The "you are purchasing access to an executable stored on the network" model seems to be the one that these guys have chosen. I can't blame them for that, as it seems to be one of the more humane ones with a history of solvency.
...but is it art?

Detonator

• You made me come back for THIS?
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2008, 08:46:58 PM »

So I'm wondering: what would be the proper way to resell games that are digitally distributed?  A code that can be sold?  Or should downloads always be free (since you are merely copying data, not receiving a product), and any product sold be contained on a physical storage device?  I'm genuinely curious as to how this would work.
"Imagine punching somebody so hard that they turned into a door. Then you found out that's where ALL doors come from, and you got initiated into a murder club that makes doors. The stronger you punch, the better the door. So there are like super strong murderers who punch people into Venetian doors and shit"

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2008, 11:04:58 PM »

In this case, you'd lose your privilege to re-download the game and someone else would get the privilege to download it.

The obvious complaint from the seller's end is that there's absolutely no proving you've actually uninstalled the game.

But with a system like GOG, that's completely moot anyway as there's nothing to stop you from sending the installer to somebody else in the first damn place.

Basically, every anti-piracy protection inevitably breaks down to the honor system, whether it be "on my honor, I uninstalled the game before transferring download privileges to somebody else's account", "on my honor, I won't give anyone else this CD key", or "on my honor, I won't just torrent the goddamn thing."

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2008, 11:28:57 PM »

Which would work a lot better if the other side made an equal vow of non-dickery.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2008, 11:41:12 PM »

That's the ethical way of looking at it.  I meant it more from the pragmatic position of "It doesn't matter, so why bother?"
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8