Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8

Author Topic: Good Old Games  (Read 9843 times)

A

• Magic Gunner Miss Blue
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Good Old Games
« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2008, 11:43:54 PM »

I like how GOG is going about it.

Sometimes, it's hard to find a damned torrent that works, and for a lot less than a value meal at McDonalds, you basically get a copy guaranteed to work, mp3s, the whole community thing, and the warm fuzzy feeling in your belly that you did the right thing.

I like that kind of marketing. Make it so cheap that it's appealing to those who just don't want to fuck around with the illegal methods.

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 12, 2008, 11:48:33 PM »

Oh, I was being pragmatic too.

...oh, thank you, page break.  I'm going to have to quote like three messages to make this one fit into any context.  You know what, fuck it.

Also I think GOG's main strength is "Hey, we made it work now," which should be a much bigger draw than calling all the attention to their very flawed licensing scheme.

A

• Magic Gunner Miss Blue
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 12, 2008, 11:53:58 PM »

From what they seem to say on the site, they have bought the old source code wholesale from the old distributors.

I think.

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 12, 2008, 11:55:10 PM »

So these guys pick up the games' original code

False, per 1up:

We don't have the source code for games, so we can't do the optimization that way. It takes a little magic from our programming team to make it work. The biggest issue with the old games is the installation process -- every old game is optimized to install and run on the operating system from back then. Modern operating systems use different libraries and engines that sometimes collide with old games files, so our programmers search for such incompatibilities and bypass them with their great talent -- and little programming tricks that us ordinary people wouldn't understand.

A pity.  If they had the original code, they could port it to other OS's.

A

• Magic Gunner Miss Blue
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 12, 2008, 11:59:19 PM »

:derp:

Classic

• Happens more often than you'd think.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 13, 2008, 12:38:22 AM »

The problem... if there has to be one...:
If you don't "defend" a copyright or IP, you lose it. Devs, pubs, and producers are all frightened of the idea of losing such a costly IP.

It's possible that the same rules don't apply... but...
 :derp:GOTS US A LAWSMAN HERE!?

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #46 on: September 13, 2008, 12:54:07 AM »

If you don't "defend" a copyright [...] you lose it.

WRONG.

WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG.

And here is where the misconception arises:

a copyright or IP

This is the evil of the blanket term "intellectual property": it encourages people to confuse copyrights, patents, and trademarks.

If you don't enforce a TRADEMARK, you lose it.  The same does not apply to copyrights.

It doesn't matter if you let a million guys infringe your copyright and then go after just one -- in fact, this is perfectly common; you go after the big fish, the guy with the warehouse full of bootlegs, instead of the guy who torrents a few files here and there.  Your copyright is still valid and that one guy is still liable (and so are the others, too, if you decide to go after them later).

Copyright and trademark are related, but they're very different.  It's important to keep their distinctions straight.

patito

• kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 13, 2008, 01:34:22 AM »

In this case, you'd lose your privilege to re-download the game and someone else would get the privilege to download it.

The obvious complaint from the seller's end is that there's absolutely no proving you've actually uninstalled the game.

But with a system like GOG, that's completely moot anyway as there's nothing to stop you from sending the installer to somebody else in the first damn place.

Basically, every anti-piracy protection inevitably breaks down to the honor system, whether it be "on my honor, I uninstalled the game before transferring download privileges to somebody else's account", "on my honor, I won't give anyone else this CD key", or "on my honor, I won't just torrent the goddamn thing."

In the case of steam, since you need to be running Steam itself to run any games for it, preventing you from redownloading or even running a game for which you've transferred the rights to is basically trivial. Basically the way they've run their free weekends for TF2 for example. Why they decide not to do it is obviously because they'd stop making money if people just start trading away the games they no longer play.

Kazz

• Projekt Direktor
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 17, 2008, 01:33:21 AM »

i don't know where this should go but shut up

The Unholy War was the best PS1 game ever

discuss.  actually don't discuss, i know i'm right.

Burrito Al Pastor

• Galatea is mai waifu
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 17, 2008, 01:34:07 AM »

I'm a heartbreaker... My name... Charles.

Kazz

• Projekt Direktor
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 17, 2008, 01:41:31 AM »

:MENDOZAAAAA:

PhoenixUltima

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 19, 2008, 04:27:16 PM »

What I'd really like to see on here are the Dark Engine games - that is, Thief 1 and 2 and System Shock 2. Getting those to work on even 32-bit WinXP on a single-core processor is a pain in the ass, nevermind 64-bit Vista on a dual-core or quad-core or octuple-core or whatever. Plus, you know, they're completely awesome games.
The captain of the gravy train!

MadMAxJr

• Tested
    • View Profile
    • RPG Q&A
« Reply #52 on: September 19, 2008, 08:28:23 PM »

System Shock 2.  The game where the zombies tell you to run.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt." - Bertrand Russell

Got questions about RPGs?

Bge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 20, 2008, 04:20:12 AM »

Now I want to play Scorched Earth.

Edit: WHAT THE DICK I'M NOT JOINING GAMESPY

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #54 on: September 23, 2008, 10:42:59 PM »

Got a beta code.  No more signups, but I can give one invite.  Any takers?

Arc

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 23, 2008, 10:49:35 PM »

Sacrifice! My old lover, how are you?

Kingpin! My old mistress, how is the melanoma treating you?

Superface

• Captain Obvious, AWA-A-A-AY
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • The HOTWWATR Conspiracy
« Reply #56 on: September 24, 2008, 08:03:44 AM »

I think I'm stuck permanently about 5 years in the past as far as gaming goes. I bought a Wii mostly for Virtual Console, and to this day have only played Twilight Princess and Galaxy on it as far as real Wii games goes. When I get another system, it's probably going to be a PS3 just so I can still play my old PS1 games.

So like, the PC games GOG offers are almost exactly where I am right now in PC gaming. I played about 5 minutes each of Fallout and Baldur's Gate, not done with them yet, I dug Messiah, I keep reinstalling Morrowind, Unreal 1, Quake 2 and Outcast..

And, I didn't like space combat sims until I played Freespace. Now I love them & seek them out, so much that I want to find & replay the X-Wing series, and I'm going to hook up my Dreamcast later to play Starlancer again..

Superface

• Captain Obvious, AWA-A-A-AY
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • The HOTWWATR Conspiracy
« Reply #57 on: September 24, 2008, 08:06:30 AM »

Thad, I see your point with transfer of ownership, but I don't think any publisher is ever going to. They'd tie disc keys to our SSN's if they could.

Royal☭

• Supreme Court Judge President
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 24, 2008, 09:09:03 AM »

When I get another system, it's probably going to be a PS3 just so I can still play my old PS1 games.

:lol:

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 24, 2008, 11:56:28 AM »

I bought a Wii mostly for Virtual Console, and to this day have only played Twilight Princess and Galaxy on it as far as real Wii games goes.

You think that's bad?  My Wii only plays Brawl and Megaman 9.  It's a big white reminder of how permanently my head is screwed on backwards.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8