Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Old Doctor Who  (Read 20087 times)

Ted Belmont

• Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Old Doctor Who
« Reply #80 on: June 13, 2013, 02:02:10 AM »

Just rumor/speculation, AND it's BC, so take it with a Face of Boe sized grain of salt, but: BBC may have found a large number of presumed-lost old episodes.

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #81 on: June 13, 2013, 02:36:02 AM »

I KNEW we sent Rodman to North Korea for a reason.

(Explaining the reference: a few years ago one of Murdoch's tabloids printed a story suggesting that Kim Jong Il had copies of some of the missing episodes.)

I'm sorta disappointed that the animation thing stalled; the animated episodes of The Invasion were perfectly solid.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #82 on: June 17, 2013, 12:34:50 PM »

Update: Johnston suggests that BBC may have been taken in by a hoax.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #83 on: June 18, 2013, 03:33:36 PM »

And the ping-pong game swings back the other way, with previously-skeptical Ian Levine now a believer.

If nothing else, archivist Philip Morris DOES appear to have received a 3-ton package labeled "old films" from Nigeria in 2011.  That certainly doesn't guarantee that there were 90 episodes of Doctor Who in there, but if it's a hoax it's a hoax by a guy who's either well-equipped enough to ship himself a 3-ton package from Lagos, or at least knows who to bribe at the shipping company to make their website say he did.

Also, from the thread I discover that they haven't stopped animating missing episodes after all like I thought they had after Invasion.  Reign of Terror came out a few months ago with a couple animated episodes, and Ice Warriors and Tenth Planet are on the way.  The missing Tenth Planet episode is rumored to be among the 90 recovered episodes (and would probably be the biggest find of the lot since it's the first regeneration episode), while even the people reporting the rumors are saying there won't be any Ice Warriors in there.  (Per Rich's earlier post: "The only ones not included are nine episodes of The Dalek Master Plan, plus Mission To The Unknown, two episodes of The Invasion, two episodes of The Ice Warriors, and two episodes of The Wheel In Space.")

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 18, 2013, 03:46:48 PM »

Nigeria

Hoo boy.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #85 on: June 18, 2013, 04:13:24 PM »

Dammit, now you made me go and write this when I should be getting ready for bed.

DEAR TO MY FRIEND THE MISTER PHILIP MORRIS

I AM WRITING ON BEHALF OF THE HON. MGUMBU D'CHINBE, DUKE OF LAGOS. AS YOU MAY WELL KNOW THE ROYAL FAMILY WAS DEPOSED IN THE GREAT COUP OF 2006. THE DUKE IT IS BARELY ESCAPED WITH THE CLOTHES OF HIS BACK AND SUBSISTS NOW IN POLITICAL EXILE.

PLEASE TO BE ADVISED THAT THE DUKE THROUGH LOYALISTS STILL IN THE CAPITOL HAS REASONED A DEVICE BY WHICH TO RESECURING HIS VAST FORTUNE AND WEALTHS BUT HE IS UNABLE TO PROVIDE THE FUNDINGS FOR THE DEPOSIT OF MONIES.  WE NEED BUT A SMALL CASH ADVANCE OF TEN THOUSAND (1,0000) BRITISH POUNDS (LBS) AND WE WILL BE PROVIDE ALL THE DUKES MONIES ONCE MORE.

I BESEECH THAT YOU HELP US TO IN OUR TIME OF THE NEED AND PLEASE ASSURANCES THAT IN RETURN FOR YOUR GREATEST OF GENEROSITYS WE WILL REWARD YOU WITH THE DUKES 3 TONNES COLLECTION OF OLD FILM INCLUDING NINETY (90) LOST EPISODES OF DR WHO.

GOD BLESSING TO YOU

YOURS IN CHRIST

BENJAMIN JONES

Bleeding Cool apparently has a filter that changes all-caps messages to mostly-lowercase.  I think it loses something that way.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 18, 2013, 04:42:25 PM »

If it's any consolation, your effort wasn't wasted :lol:

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #87 on: June 19, 2013, 02:46:24 AM »

I knew that post would have a double-digit number of Likes by morning.  There is a strong correlation between people who click "Like" buttons and people who think jokes about Nigerian scams are funny.

Anyway, someone in the thread's linked a map showing where in Africa various Doctor Who episodes were shipped.  90 all coming out of Nigeria seems, as we already knew, a little unlikely -- but they could very well have 19 Troughton episodes.  (This prompts speculation that someone somewhere along the line misheard "19" as "90" and, presumably, the list of episodes was embellished along the way.  It's as reasonable a hypothesis as any, especially since if someone WERE playing a hoax, I doubt they'd say "I have 90 episodes"; they'd say one or two.

And 19 would still be a pretty big deal.  Even one would be a big deal.)

At any rate, with the 3-ton shipping receipt this has turned into an interesting enough story that I'm really interested in hearing how it ends, even if it DOES turn out to be a hoax or misunderstanding or we otherwise end up with no new old Who whatsoever.

...and now I'm posting THIS when I should be leaving for work.  Dammit.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #88 on: June 20, 2013, 04:06:23 PM »

And the latest denial: Philip Morris says nope, the three tons of movies he got from Nigeria do not include any Doctor Who.

Tune in two days from now when Bleeding Cool posts another piece of evidence that no they really are real.

(Me, I'm quite curious as to what IS in the three tons of film, whether it's Who or not.)

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #89 on: July 05, 2013, 03:51:24 PM »

Caithness

• Hat Man
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: July 05, 2013, 04:36:19 PM »

What does it mean?????

(Youtube comments seem to indicate some sort of crossover with the Fourth Doctor guest-starring on the new show.)

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #91 on: July 05, 2013, 05:00:54 PM »

Youtube comments are Youtube comments.

If Baker, or any previous Doctor besides Tennant [spoiler]and Hurt[/spoiler] is going to be in the Fiftieth Anniversary special, they managed to get him to a shoot without anybody noticing, which seems pretty unlikely given how the entire British entertainment press was on the lookout for that exact thing.  That doesn't rule out the possibility of more previous Doctors showing up throughout next season, which could still happen and which I'd love to see, but there's also nothing to substantiate that theory beyond fanboys really wanting it to be true.

On the other hand, a teaser like this suggests something more substantial than just hawking merchandise or upcoming DVD sets.  It's nothing to do with the alleged found episodes because Baker's not in any of them, and it's not related to An Adventure in Space and Time because that's about the beginning of the show and apparently focuses almost entirely on the Hartnell era, with Troughton briefly showing up in the ending.

And speaking of Hartnell and Troughton, well, clearly the #thefourth hashtag suggests we might be seeing more teases with more past Doctors -- so why start at Four?

Well, it could be because he had the longest run and is probably the best-known of the original seven.  But it could also be because he's the earliest Doctor who's still alive.

I DO think this is probably leading up to some announcement about past Doctors reuniting.  Maybe not on the show; maybe it'll be a retrospective or a convention or something.  It'll be interesting to see.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #92 on: July 07, 2013, 02:37:46 PM »

Or it could just be a tease for the new (final) Baker DVD release.

#thefourth - Doctor Who - BBC

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #93 on: August 10, 2013, 07:48:49 AM »

BC's still on the "missing episodes found!" rumor -- most recently reacting to a post about 6 more episodes of Dad's Army.  The rumor was that the lost Who episodes were part of a major load of lost BBC tape, including Dad's Army.

Commenters suggest that Johnston is grasping at straws and it's actually just a bug in the BBC's website template that shows every show having 6 episodes.

McDohl

• Pika-boo
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 06, 2013, 10:15:18 PM »

Is the Mirror a tabloid?  It would seem so, but I don't know a thing about British journalism.  Anyway.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/106-doctor-who-episodes-uncovered-2343474

106 episodes found in Ethiopia.

If this is true, that closes a significant gap of missing episodes from Hartnell, Troughton, and Pertwee's eras.

Zaratustra

• what
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Zaratustra Productions
« Reply #95 on: October 07, 2013, 01:25:36 AM »

Most UK newspapers are tabloids so you can read them in the tube.

But yes, the Mirror is a "red top tabloid" and wouldn't be above posting a poorly-researched story for the sake of shock.

Smiler

• HOM NOM NOM NOM
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 07, 2013, 01:52:35 AM »

On top of all that, this is the same rumor that was debunked a few months ago.

McDohl

• Pika-boo
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 07, 2013, 09:59:31 AM »

Oh.  Well, sad to hear.  But this is my first debunked "lost episode" rumor since getting in to Doctor Who!

Everyone remembers their first.  <3

Smiler

• HOM NOM NOM NOM
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 07, 2013, 10:28:07 AM »

Ahahahah guess what.

The Guardian is reporting that there are episodes found.

Also this is happening around Facebook right now.

For reference Ian Levine is usually the guy who's been saying NO GUYS THIS TIME FOR REAL every time, and Spilsbury is the editor of DWM.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 07, 2013, 12:06:10 PM »

Jesus, what the hell is even going on now?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6