Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 139

Author Topic: What I learned today!  (Read 185340 times)

Fredward

• a romantic soul
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: What I learned today!
« Reply #40 on: June 09, 2008, 12:11:25 PM »

Nguyen apparently is an incredibly common name, somewhere.  (I work with a large database.)

It's Vietnamese.

Quote from: Wikipedia
By some estimates, approximately 40 percent of Vietnamese people have this surname.

Can't get much more Vietnamese than that.
Quote from: Brentai
It's never easy to tell just where the line is between physical malady and the general crushing horror of life itself.

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2008, 01:33:39 PM »

I own a total of 281 Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles comics.  That is not including trades, the new digitally-distributed issue, or their 3-issue appearance in Flaming Carrot.

Kazz

• Projekt Direktor
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 12, 2008, 01:54:16 PM »

I was this close to calling you a nerd, but then I realized that I'm completely jealous.

sei

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 14, 2008, 01:30:47 AM »

The supermarket is not above marking a medium sized bag of mint M&Ms up from $2.50 to $3.00, as supplies run low, but they are apparently above ordering the fucking things with any regularity.  Okay.

Nguyen apparently is an incredibly common name, somewhere.  (I work with a large database.)

It's Vietnamese.

Quote from: Wikipedia
By some estimates, approximately 40 percent of Vietnamese people have this surname.

Can't get much more Vietnamese than that.
I've taken to pronouncing all unpronounceable surnames as "hwin."  This will probably eventually get me fired, shot, etc.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #44 on: June 25, 2008, 11:39:56 PM »

Have been sorting my way through my comic collection (which is why I tallied up my total number of TMNT's).

The thickness of a comic and the capacity of a box can vary wildly.  To the point that I have one short box barely managing to hold 114, and another looking about 25% empty with 118.

Kazz

• Projekt Direktor
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 22, 2008, 08:34:34 PM »

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #46 on: July 23, 2008, 12:28:11 AM »

Every time I read one of TV's Frank's posts over at Cinematic Titanic, I learn something new.  The man has a truly astounding knowledge of old and obscure films.

Thanks to a recent post of his, I just became aware of The Day the Clown Cried, an unfinished film directed by Jerry Lewis and starring him as a clown in a concentration camp.

The existence of this thing is fucking astounding.  It sounds like the Holy Grail of bad movies and bad IDEAS for movies.

Via Wikipedia, I also find a 1992 Spy Magazine article discussing the film with a handful of people who were involved with its creation or have actually seen it.

I should be in bed, but this utterly fascinates me.

• Magic Gunner Miss Blue
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 23, 2008, 01:58:40 AM »

I own a total of 281 Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles comics.  That is not including trades, the new digitally-distributed issue, or their 3-issue appearance in Flaming Carrot.

I have more manga than that
(I think. I set aside a few for selling, but at least twice the bookshelf containing about 70% of it has fallen on me and caused unconciousness)

Royal☭

• Supreme Court Judge President
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 23, 2008, 07:22:49 AM »

Thanks to a recent post of his, I just became aware of The Day the Clown Cried, an unfinished film directed by Jerry Lewis and starring him as a clown in a concentration camp.

So that's where Life is Beautiful came from.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #49 on: July 23, 2008, 03:31:42 PM »

(I think. I set aside a few for selling, but at least twice the bookshelf containing about 70% of it has fallen on me and caused unconciousness)

...Is it your understanding that I collect only Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles?

sei

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 23, 2008, 07:48:57 PM »

:richiam:

:sarcasm:

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #51 on: July 23, 2008, 09:29:49 PM »

One of the pegs managed to dislodge itself from under one of the shelves holding my comics last week.  Fortunately it was just one so the shelf just kind of tilted forward instead of falling down onto the boxes under it.

SCD

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 24, 2008, 08:35:58 AM »

Today, I learned what may be one of the better lessons.  Sometimes in some jobs, you will run across tasks to hellish, or lame that you just want to face the palm right until tomorrow, yet there is that annoying sadistic boss, who seems to just looove this sort of shit. 

Well, on the other side of the coin, it just made sense.  The only way to motivate the little box-pushers and grunts is to make it seem that lying down in the rain, waiting for something to pop up is just your faaaavorite pastime - and that hail, heavy rain and lightning is just the heaven's way of saying "Damn right, skippy!"

Some people even respect you for it which leads me to my next bit - try to memorize every line from those stereotypical puerto rican DIs or sergeants from all those movies.  It's hell of a lot more cleverer than I was without much sleep  ::D:

Classic

• Happens more often than you'd think.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 24, 2008, 08:51:07 AM »

I find Kino's Journey and Paranioa Agent's conclusions to be depressing, not because they were somehow bad, but because I still have their theme songs stuck in my head.
RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA-EEEEEEEE-YAAAAAAAAAAAAA! :victory:

• Magic Gunner Miss Blue
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 24, 2008, 12:24:07 PM »

...Is it your understanding that I collect only Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles?

No, I think you collect 60% of every comic known to man, and you don't collect the other 40% so you can complain about them. That's what Kazz told me, anyway.

McDohl

• Pika-boo
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 30, 2008, 07:05:38 AM »

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 30, 2008, 08:29:19 AM »

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 30, 2008, 06:05:28 PM »

On Wikipedia, I do not exist!  :whoops:

SCD

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 30, 2008, 07:38:58 PM »

A little more on mass manipulation, using things such as pride and shame to get groups of people to do what you wish, and the later to break up possible relationships within the group. 

The day before, it was how to destroy individuals to the point of trauma, and a reiteration on why I hate the healthcare system and its snobby, unionized workers and tomorrow, it will be to increase my methods on making individuals cry in the hopes it will make them either conform to the standards required to make them efficient at what they do, or just realize that this is not the game they want to play in. 

::(:

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 31, 2008, 07:44:32 AM »

Oil was first discovered in North America in Oil Springs, Ontario in 1858.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 139