Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Author Topic: What I learned today!  (Read 185356 times)

MarsDragon

• NO FUCKS LEFT TO GIVE
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: What I learned today!
« Reply #2680 on: November 04, 2013, 01:17:09 PM »

There was a typhoon on the planned date for invading Japan in WWII. Probably wouldn't have changed anything in the long run, but would've hampered the invasion out the gate.

Feel free to use this for all your counterfactual history needs.

Friday

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2681 on: November 04, 2013, 01:25:42 PM »

That somehow makes me even more sad.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2682 on: November 04, 2013, 01:58:20 PM »

Wow, that's actually kind of wild, considering the historical frequency with which armies invading japan were wiped out by typhoons.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2683 on: November 06, 2013, 11:55:59 AM »

There was one confirmed, recorded instance in human history of a person with some number of completely immortal cells.

The cells were from a sample of an extremely aggressive cancerous tumour which was what killed Henrietta Lacks, a black woman (living in Dundalk MD, no less) from a poorer family who died young. 

A doctor noticed the cells in a sample (taken without her permission, though at the time permission was not normally asked for), isolating a single, perfectly immortal human stem cell. That cell has been cultured more than than any human cell in history, was the first human cell to ever be cloned or mass-produced, and has been used in thousands of medical research applications since then.

Whoa.

TA

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2684 on: November 06, 2013, 12:02:17 PM »

Yeah, it's kind of a thing.  Since her family is getting no share of the commercial use of her cells, and neither her nor her family consents to the continued harvesting and replication.  Went to the Supreme Court, even!
Do you understand how terrifying the words “vibrating strap on” are for an asexual? That’s like saying “the holocaust” to a Jew.

Classic

• Happens more often than you'd think.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2685 on: November 06, 2013, 12:07:53 PM »

To top it off, she was a person of color.
The first time I'd heard about her (and her fatal cancer) was in a list of examples where PoC have been exploited or their contributions diminished.

Ocksi

• Guy on a buffalo
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2686 on: November 06, 2013, 11:16:33 PM »

all i'm saying is why isn't their white history month

Lottel

• You know that's right
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2687 on: November 07, 2013, 06:02:45 AM »

There are a few books about her that are very very popular (in the science section of bookstores).

The one that immediately pops to mind is this one. I've not read it but I've heard it's really a pretty good read.

Smiler

• HOM NOM NOM NOM
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile

Disposable Ninja

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2689 on: November 14, 2013, 02:46:41 PM »

A surprising number of anti-feminists are actually women disenfranchised with the movement, like Erin Pizzey, founder of Europe's first modern women's shelter.

TA

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2690 on: November 15, 2013, 07:46:37 AM »

Do you understand how terrifying the words “vibrating strap on” are for an asexual? That’s like saying “the holocaust” to a Jew.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2691 on: November 15, 2013, 08:36:23 AM »

Is this like how there was that whole deal about "This is how monkeys eat a banana" and then everyone nodded and just went back to peeling them the regular way? 

Anyone who wants to eat the "Whole" apple will just do it the way I do when so inclined: Cut apple in half (or quarters); remove seeds, remove stem and whatever the "apple asshole" is properly called; eat.

EDIT: Ah, it's both the Stamen and the Calyx. So actually the apple penis.

Classic

• Happens more often than you'd think.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2692 on: November 15, 2013, 08:47:06 AM »

You can probably eat the stamen and calyx those parts just fine, but I was given to believe that those crevices shielded pesticides from being washed off, and if you eat a lot of that stuff it starts to have adverse effects.

BTW: When I can't pop the stem of a banana off easily, I still use monkey style as a backup. Much like how I'll use my teeth to cut stuff that my keys or nails can't pop.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2693 on: November 15, 2013, 09:00:52 AM »

Well, yeah. Cores aren't GOOD to eat either. Like the article says, seeds have a small amount of freaking cyanide in them and the surrounding bits aren't particularly tasty. The thing is that the space between the stem and the core, as well as the space between the bottom and the core is all perfectly edible.

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2694 on: November 15, 2013, 09:57:52 AM »

Well fuck, you can eat orange peel too. I just can't imagine why anybody would want to. (I usually pop the stem and blossom ends off the core and give them to my rat, throwing away the bit in the middle with the seeds.)

(And I always peel bananas from the blossom end. It's a good trick if you ever have to peel fifty or so at once, as I occasionally have to at work.)

MarsDragon

• NO FUCKS LEFT TO GIVE
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2695 on: November 15, 2013, 10:11:26 AM »

The orange part of the peel isn't very good, but I like to just barely scrape that off and eat the pith with a tiny bit of...orange zest or whatever you call it in there before eating the actual orange. It's good! I swear!

And Classic you should always wash fruit before you eat it. You don't know where it's been.

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2696 on: November 15, 2013, 10:15:29 AM »

Th... the orange part of the peel is the zest.

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2697 on: November 15, 2013, 01:13:08 PM »

Is it true that in the original TMNT comics that April O'Neil was intended to be mixed race?

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #2698 on: November 15, 2013, 04:51:31 PM »

Eastman says yes and that she was based on his then-girlfriend (who was also named April).  Laird says if that's the case then he wasn't aware of it.

Her first appearance, in issue #2, has her looking much as she would in her later animated appearances, but starting in #4 and for the duration of the original Mirage run she had curly black hair.  Her complexion usually tended toward the tan on the occasions when she appeared in color.

So basically I find it fairly plausible that both creators are telling the truth, that Eastman intended her to be biracial and Laird didn't, and it's hard to say what the "original" intent was when her appearance changed pretty substantially a few issues in.

(It does seem a little odd that Laird wouldn't notice that April had the same name as Eastman's girlfriend and also looked like her.  My guess is he knew the name was an homage but didn't know the appearance was -- given that Mirage April also bears a passing resemblance to Julie Strain, it could be that Eastman just has a type.)

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2699 on: November 20, 2013, 04:19:03 PM »

Winamp.com and associated web services will no longer be available past December 20, 2013. Additionally, Winamp Media players will no longer be available for download. Please download the latest version before that date. See release notes for latest improvements to this last release.
Thanks for supporting the Winamp community for over 15 years.
Huh.

Still on v5.61. Works fine.

I had assumed this was still the default player for most people on PC. I actually have no idea what other people are using these days.