Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: The End (Story Posts Only)  (Read 8073 times)

Friday

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: The End (Story Posts Only)
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2008, 01:30:28 AM »

3. "Can you give me a reason why I shouldn't kill you right now?"

Benny shrugs, his smile fading. "I didn't kill you. I could of. I just wanted the car, man."

"You really think you'd be better off on your own? Where the fuck were you gonna go?" Your finger tightens on the trigger.

Benny sighs. "Look, I know I fucked up, OK? It's just, I didn't want a little girl slowing me down. I saw my chance, I took it. I'm sorry."

"Your chance? Your chance to do what? Strand me and Nicole in the middle of nowhere, in the dark, while you joyride to god knows where? You'd have been up shit creek faster than us, most likely."

"I know, I know," he says. You get the impression he has given this speech, or one like it, plenty of times. "Look, I know it was stupid. But I'm known for doing stupid shit. I'm a slow learner, I guess."

"What happened to Tom?"

"Tom? The place was empty, man. I woke up and wandered in there."

"How did you know about the faceless?"

"The what?"

"The vine creatures."

"I saw one."

"You saw one?"

Benny grimaces. "OK. To be honest, I was with another guy. Friend of mine. We were headed to this bar. Zack saw him first. Big fucker. You know, one of those guys that only goes outside to get more food. Something was wrong with him. His arms were all bunched up... well, you know. Zack went up to ask him if he was OK. The vines shot out and grabbed him," Benny pauses.

"Jesus, he was really screaming. I'm not proud of it, but what was I gonna do? Zack was screaming and... there was blood everywhere. Those vines had wrapped all around him. I didn't have any weapons. I ran. I got the fuck out of there. I saw a few more of those things while I was running. They were taking the bodies," Benny says, nervously fidgeting with his lip piercing.

Something about the way he's currently talking makes you think what he just said is true, at least.

"So, look. Are you kicking me out? I'm sorry about the gun thing. You're the boss from now on, I promise."

1. Boom. Headshot.

2. "You're sorry? Not as sorry as you're gonna be. Get the fuck out of my car."

3. "Alright. You can stay, for now. But I'm gonna be watching you, and you'd better not do anything stupid again, or you're on your own."

Friday

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2008, 01:31:12 AM »

2. "You're sorry? Not as sorry as you're gonna be. Get the fuck out of my car."

Benny frowns. "Come on, man, I said I fucked up. You're seriously, like, kicking me out? Here? Can you at least drive me back to the --"

"No. Get out. I mean it."

Benny's eye flashes, and you can tell he's angry. "Fine. But if I see you again, man, you're fucking dead. Got that?"

"Sure. I'll just start shooting, assume it's self defense."

Benny stares at you for a moment, then opens the door. "See you around, tits."

"No you won't," Nicole says softly.

You leave Benny standing there on the side of the road. He makes a gun motion with his hand at the back of your car as you pull away.

"Fucking prick," you say, glancing at Nicole. "Sorry, sweetie."

"Are we going to the vet now?" she asks.

"Yeah, we are."

"Good," she says, and turns over in her seat.

You put Benny's (or Tom's, you guess) gun in the back seat. You'll fiddle with it later, once you're safe inside.

About ten minutes pass. The roads are still deserted. No signs of life, or whatever passes for life now. You're in the outskirts of town, and this far from the blast, most structures look fairly OK. Some have slight to medium damage. A few cars are overturned. Most are just sitting empty, locked, the keys to them god knows where.

You pull up in front of the circular driveway that leads to the vet. You know the place fairly well, you've taken your dog here a couple of times. The lawn in front looks oddly immaculate. The place looks deserted. Shrugging, you pull into the driveway, bringing your car up alongside the front entrance.

"Come on, Nicole. Let's go inside now."

You get out of the car, hugging your arms to your chest. It's cold out here. You can't quite see your breath, but then, you've always been one who prefers the heat. Probably why you moved to California. Anything to get away from your parents, anyway. They --

Christ. You had forgotten about them. You were on the phone to your mom when the blast hit. Your cell phone must have been knocked out of your hand. Jesus. You wonder if she and your dad are OK. Well. You'll have to worry about that later.

You walk up to the front. Knock knock.

"Hellllllllllllllooooooo?"

No reply. You bring out your gun (the revolver) and try the door.

It swings open, inwards.

You're greeted by the long barrel of a gun pointed at you.

"Great," you say, looking past it to whoever is holding it on you.

The whoever in question appears to be a young man, about your age, slender build. He's holding some kind of hunting rifle, scope and everything, on you. He's got glasses on, is dressed fairly plainly, and is shaking violently.

You drop your gun. "Look, I'm not here to hurt anyone. I've got a little girl with me. Put your gun away."

Behind him, an older man comes up from behind the front counter. He shines a flashlight on you, then on Nicole, making you both wince.

The guy with the rifle swings it over to Nicole.

"Christ! Point that back at me, if you have to point it!"

He doesn't seem to be listening. "You... you can't come in," he says.

"Please? We've come a long way."

"No. No! You're... She's one of them!"

You look at Nicole. She's simply standing there.

"No she isn't. They've got vines coming out of them. Do you see vines coming out of this little girl? Now put the gun down, you're scaring her."

"No, you're... you're wrong. She's one of them! I can tell."

"David," says the older man from behind him. "Let them in."

David looks back over his shoulder at the other guy.

This could be your chance...

1. The rifle isn't that far away. You could simply reach out, grab the barrel, try to disarm David.

2. Or, you could knock it away, then get your gun off the floor. Take command of the situation.

3. Or just shoot David right off.

4. Or, you could just let this situation play out without any violence. But David might not listen to the other guy, and you want in this place.

Location: Northern California, ruins of your hometown (Academy Veterinarian)
Health: Poor (Possible unknown internal injuries) Left eye destroyed, left arm cut
Assets: Lead Pipe, change of clothes, contents of wallet, Nice watch (Showing 8:48), Revolver (3 bullets), Automatic pistol (unknown) Swiss Army Knife, Roughly five day's worth of food and water, Car, near full tank of gas, Flashlight, batteries, lighter
Skills: None that would be useful spring to mind. Damn the school system!
Members in party: Nicole

Nicole:
Health: ???? Assets: Clothes (Strangely, they do not appear damaged) Skills: ????

"They" encountered:

"Faceless"

Form: Humanoid
Attacks: Vines
Resilience: Survived being hit by car and run over, being shot in the head
Speed: Low
Special/Notes: Central nervous system does not seem to be present in the head (Does it have a nervous system?) Damaged it by shooting it in the torso

"Flesh Worm"

Form: Worm
Attacks: Mouth, Unknown
Resilience: Unknown
Speed: Unknown
Special/Notes: Unknown

Friday

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2008, 01:31:36 AM »

4. Or, you could just let this situation play out without any violence. But David might not listen to the other guy, and you want in this place.

You decide to wait it out. You're trying to make friends here, and making a scene isn't the way to do that.

David is still looking over his shoulder. "But, but she's..."

"That's enough," says the older guy. "Put the gun away, and let them in."

David turns back to look at you. "Fine. But we're going to regret this, just you wait and see." He lowers the rifle, and turns and walks away.

The older guy comes around the counter, switching off the flashlight. He steps forward as you come in. He's tall, taller than you, dressed in nice clothes. Slacks. His hair is graying but still shows black. Salt and pepper. You'd estimate he's around fifty, fifty-five.

"Please excuse my friend. He's a bit stressed out by the recent happenings. I'm sure you understand," he says, holding out a hand. "My name is Jacob Connor."

You shake his hand and introduce yourself.

"The pleasure is all mine," says Jacob. "And who is this beauty you have with you?"

"That's --"

"My name is Nicole," says Nicole, cutting you off.

Jacob turns and squats down on his heels. "What a pretty name you have. I am honored to meet you, Nicole."

Nicole says nothing, just keeps staring at him. Jacob smiles and stands, turning back to you. "Welcome to Academy Veterinarian. Please, come on in, make yourself at home. We have some food and blankets in the back."

"Is it just the two of you, then?" you ask, following Jacob out of the lobby. Your shoes squeak on the shiny linoleum.

"Yes," Jacob says, opening a door. "We had one other, a woman. Becky. We. Uh. We lost her to one of those creatures."

"The faceless?"

Jacob pauses, and turns. "Yes. A good name for them. David was calling them the tendril freaks."

You shrug, and follow Jacob as he leads you farther inside. He ushers you in past another door, to what looks to be a den. He locks the door behind you.

"I think the vet also lived here," he says. "There's a living room, a kitchen, you name it. We're quite comfy here."

"I have some more supplies out in the car," you say.

Nicole is walking toward what looks to be a beanbag. She pokes at it. You notice a sliding glass door leading to a large backyard, with empty chain link pens.

"The door is locked, and the backyard is fenced in for the animals," says Jacob. "I don't think we need to worry about the faceless getting in here. They don't seem particularly intelligent."

You nod agreement. Suddenly you are exhausted. In the corner a couch, piled with blankets and pillows, silently beckons you.

Jacob smiles. "You and Nicole must be tired from your journey. Please, by all means. We can speak tomorrow."

"Yes, let's do that," you say. Nicole has grabbed a blanket off the couch and is dragging it over to the beanbag, where she promptly curls up under it.

Jacob does a little bow and leaves the room. "David and I will keep watch tonight. Sleep well."

You give him a nod and collapse onto the couch. Within moments you are asleep.

Day 2

A bird is chirping. You reach out for it, but it evades your grasp. You're so hungry, and it's so pretty. If you can just stretch out your arm a bit further, just a little bit further...

You know, what would really help you is if you had some of those tendril/vine things. Then you could --

You wake up. A bird is perched on a feeder, just outside the door. Daylight streams into the room. You glance at your watch. It's 9 am. You slept for twelve hours.

You feel fantastic. You sit up, stretching and yawning. Man. You haven't felt this good in ages. You look down at your hands, and clench them. You feel stronger than ever.

Nicole is awake, and staring at you.

"Good morning," you say.

She raises an arm and points at you.

"Sweetie, it's not polite to point," you say, showing your teeth.

Something is moving around in your head. You lift a hand to scratch it. Probing fingers sink into your eye socket, seeking relief. Ahhhhhh. That feels better. Your finger comes out dripping blood and gore.

But now the itching has spread to your chest. Man. If only you could get out of this dumb skin. So itchy. So useless.

Raised welts begin to appear on your arms as you raise them up to your chest to scratch. As the tendrils burst from your chest and sides, an intense feeling of relief floods through you. Now you can catch that bird outside, and Nicole too. You take a step forward as your sight suddenly is cut off. Nicole is screaming.

You wake up.

Jesus Christ.

You feel like shit.

That bird is still chirping. You raise yourself up, groggily. 9 am. Daylight spills through the glass onto Nicole, still asleep on her bean bag. You can see her hair spilling down the side.

You get up and stumble to a door. Looking for a bathroom. Hallways. There.

You reach the sink and throw up.

A few minutes later, you raise your head and look back into your face.

Christ. Your face is pale and sallow. The one good eye is almost sunken enough to mirror the one that's gone. Bruises, scrapes on your face and neck. You have a black eye. You splash some water on your face. It helps a little.

A good shower would help more. You shut the door and strip, letting the water run down your body. You examine yourself. Bruises, cuts, scrapes. Your arm has scabs on it from where the faceless cut into the flesh.

You push your hands through your hair. They come away with dull bloodstains.

Man. How long had you been walking around like this. Around Nicole? You're lucky she didn't just take one look and run.

Grabbing a bar of soap, you give yourself a good washing. Some shampoo proves to be a bad idea, as it gets into your missing eye and stings like hell.

You turn off the cold water, and towel off. You don't want to put your rags back on, so you exit wearing nothing but the towel and head to your car for the change of clothes in the bag. You grab your other gun while you're out there, too. In the daylight, things almost look normal, except for a complete lack of normal ambient city noise, and no people or traffic. Heading back inside, you go back to the bathroom, and change into your new clothes. Cargo pants, long sleeved green shirt. Nothing fancy. The pants have deep pockets.

You examine the pistol. Seems like it fires 9mm rounds. You fiddle with it until you find the clip release. Funny. Your aversion to guns seems like it took a vacation. Doing a quick count, you find 9 rounds in the clip. Huh. One in the chamber, already? Making sure the safety is on, you look down the barrel. Yep.

"You know, I caught my kid doing that once. I grounded him for two months. What's your excuse?"

You whirl, seeing Jacob standing at the door, which has swung open. He's smiling. You return it, sheepishly. "I'm afraid I don't know much about guns. Probably dangerous to look right down the barrel like that, huh?"

Jacob shrugs. "Normally. I guess in a situation like this, we have to redefine what 'dangerous' means."

You nod, and tuck the weapon away on your left leg. Pants like this will come in handy.

"How did you sleep?"

"Nightmares."

"Yeah, me too. I guess it's only to be expected."

You nod. "So, um. Thanks for getting us in, last night. I appreciate it."

Jacob smiles again. "You're welcome. But honestly, who would turn away a little girl and her... father?"

"No," you say, shaking your head. "It's a bit of a story."

"I have no doubt. Come on, let's have a sit down breakfast. I made bacon and eggs. We can share our stories there."

You follow Jacob to the kitchen, where you and he sit at a small table. The smell of bacon floods your nostrils, and you thank god you dumped your vegetarian girlfriend two months before all this happened. Jacob sets a plate down in front of you, and you dig in.

1. Tell Jacob your story. Don't leave anything out.

2. Tell Jacob your story, but leave out the bits about eyes... and your suspicions about the faceless infections. Especially pertaining to yourself.

3. Make something random that fills the gaps up. You don't want to disclose any information you don't have to until you know who you can trust.

Health: Poor (Possible unknown internal injuries) Left eye destroyed, left arm cut
Assets: Lead Pipe, change of clothes, contents of wallet, Nice watch (Showing 9:26), Revolver (3 bullets), 9mm automatic pistol (10 rounds) Swiss Army Knife, Roughly five day's worth of food and water, Car, near full tank of gas, Flashlight, batteries, lighter

Nicole:
Health: ???? Assets: Clothes (Strangely, they do not appear damaged) Skills: ????

"They" encountered:

"Faceless"

Special/Notes: Central nervous system does not seem to be present in the head (Does it have a nervous system?) Damaged it by shooting it in the torso

"Flesh Worm"

Friday

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2008, 01:32:00 AM »

1. Tell Jacob your story. Don't leave anything out.

About a half hour passes as you relate to Jacob what has happened to you, starting with seeing the mushroom cloud to the south. You leave nothing out. Nicole's odd behavior, Benny, your suspicions about infection, everything.

Jacob listens mostly silently, asking a question here or there.

"And then, well, we pulled up here," you say.

Jacob nods, and leans back in his chair.

"So I don't suppose you've got an X-Ray machine around here," you say, smiling slightly.

"We do, actually," says Jacob, his eyes far away.

"Do you know how to operate it?"

"Yeah, I'm a doctor."

"Really? That's... nice."

"Well, not a brain surgeon or anything. And, uh. I should tell you that I'm not actually a doctor."

"Eh?"

"Well, technically, I guess you could say I 'was' a doctor."

"You were disbarred?"

"Well, that's for lawyers. But yeah. I lost my practicing license. A... woman patient sued me, and won."

You shake your head. "I don't think I give a shit. We should check out my insides."

Jacob nods. "How have you been feeling? I mean, apart from your eye."

You shrug. "Pretty shitty, but, there was a strange boost after the blast. I mean, when I first stood up, I felt like I was on my last legs. But by the time I was in the car, I was feeling a lot better. Still bad, but, not about to keel over. It seemed unnatural."

Jacob leans forward, twists his mouth up. "I don't think we should tell any of this to Nicole, or David. It'd just scare Nicole, and David... well, he's not fully himself."

"I agree. So... X-Ray time?"

"Problem is, there's no power. I can't run a machine like that unless we have power. A generator. You did happen to mention a generator at that gas station..."

You grimace. "That's where Benny most likely returned to, if he survived."

"Well, I can give you a physical, if you want. Maybe I'll be able to ascertain if there's something inside you without having to X-Ray you."

You think about it.

1. Let him give you a physical.

2. If there is something inside you, there might be no time to waste. Best to head to the generator NOW, before any more time passes, and find out for sure if you're infected, or whatever you call it.

Friday

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2008, 01:32:23 AM »

1. Let him give you a physical.

"I think it'd be best to check and see if you can find anything wrong with me," you say.

Jacob sighs. "Okay. Just, uh. Step into my office," he says, leading you to a bedroom.

You strip down all the way, and Jacob proceeds with the physical.

"Open your mouth, say awww."

"Awwwwwwwwww..." you say as he shines a flashlight down your throat.

He checks your ears, has you follow a light with your eye.

About twenty minutes later and a few more invasive pokes, you're finished.

"Well except for the missing eye bit, you seem fine. A bit on the thin side. You could stand to gain some weight."

You laugh. "Oh, if only that were the worst of my problems," you say, getting dressed.

Jacob chuckles with you. "So... I don't really want to meet this Benny guy. Perhaps it's best if David and I stay here while you go."

1. "Could you take care of Nicole, while I'm gone? I don't like putting her in harm's way."

2. "OK. You two stay here, hold the fort. We'll be back soon."

3. "Actually, I wanted to talk to David before I go."

4. "You know what? This whole thing is pointless. Even if we find out I'm infected, it's not like there's a cure or anything. We should concentrate on other issues."

Friday

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2008, 01:32:38 AM »

3. "Actually, I wanted to talk to David before I go."

"Uh, alright. I think he's up front, reading. I'm gonna go check on Nicole, see if she wants breakfast," Jacob says.

"Alright," you say, leaving the bedroom.

Jacob's voice stops you as you're at the door. "Hey... be careful. David is not in a good place, mentally. He's... easily upset-able, right now."

You find David in the lobby, sitting in one of the chairs. He has a coffee table in front of him, and he's got his legs propped up. His rifle is sitting across a nearby chair and he's holding a book in front of his face. Uh. Looks like Foundation.

"David?" you say.

He lowers the book, looks at you with suspicious eyes through his glasses.

"Can I talk to you for a minute?"

"What is it," he almost snaps.

"I wanted to ask you about last night. About Nicole."

"She's one of them. I'm sure of it. Jacob says I'm being paranoid, but he doesn't know. He didn't see what I saw."

You tilt your head. "And what did you see?"

"Why should I tell you? It's not like you're going to believe me if I tell you. You're attached to the girl, and it's going to get you, and maybe us, killed."

"Listen, she's not infected or anything like that. She shows no signs of being one of those vine freak--"

"Did I say she was a vine freak!?"

You pause.

"No...?"

"Yeah. I didn't. She's one of them, and you should get rid of her."

"Listen, I can't just take your word for it. I can't just abandon a little girl."

"Yeah, I know. I should have just shot her. Right then. Now everything is going to get fucked."

"Listen, if you'd just tell me what you saw..."

David stands, and he's visibly shaking. "God damn it. You think you're so smart. You think you have all this shit figured out. You think you can keep yourself safe. Look around you! The entire world is fucking dead!"

You back away. "Look, man, I didn't mean to upset you. I..."

1. 'll be going now. Take it easy.

2. ... just really need to know what it is you saw.

Friday

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2008, 01:32:56 AM »

2. ... just really need to know what it is you saw.

"Why? Why is it you want to know so badly?" David is shouting now.

"I just need to know, man. I need to know what the fuck is going on around here," you say, in a calming tone.

"You... you're one of them," he says, and, suddenly, reaches for his rifle.

Before you can react, Jacob is in the room. "David!"

David's head snaps over, and his arm freezes. "Stay back!"

Jacob is walking forward slowly, arms raised. "Listen. Nobody has to get hurt. Just calm down. I'm sure our friend here just wanted to talk. There's no need for violence."

"He fucking started it! He wouldn't leave me alone with his questions. He and that girl are fucking part of it! You all are!"

David goes for his rifle again.

"David, no!" says Jacob, but this time, David doesn't stop.

1. Pull out your own pistol from your pocket. You might be able to get it on David before he can bring his rifle around. Then you can tell him to drop it, calm the situation down.

2. Pull out your own pistol, and shoot David.

3. Try to get to some cover. The counter. Jacob might be left in the open, but maybe he can calm David down.

Friday

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2008, 01:33:19 AM »

1. Pull out your own pistol from your pocket. You might be able to get it on David before he can bring his rifle around. Then you can tell him to drop it, calm the situation down.

As David hoists his rifle up, you go to one knee, and bring out your 9mm. Fumbling a bit, you nonetheless manage to aim it fairly squarely at David as he also aims his rifle back at you.

"Drop it! Put the gun down!" you yell.

David seems to be past caring, though. He yells, and fires a shot. You feel the wind of it go past your cheek.

Jacob tackles him.

They both go down, in a clutter of arms and legs, sending chairs spinning across the room. David is growling, and saying "No! No! Get off me! No, they'll -- she'll --"

Suddenly he goes limp, seems to pass out.

Jacob takes the rifle from his hands, and brings it over to the counter. In one hand is a needle. He turns to you, and his expression changes from one of distaste to horror.

You look down at your chest. You seem to be fine.

Looking back up, you realize Jacob is looking slight past you.

You turn.

Nicole is standing in the open doorway. There is a hole in her shirt, at the shoulder.

She looks back at you, an errant hair falling across her face.

Then falls to the ground.

"Nicole!" you scream, getting to your feet.

You rush over. There's a bullet hole in the edge of the doorway, and part of you registers that this means the bullet must have passed right through her. You don't know what to do.

Jacob is there. "Move. Let me look. Get out of the way," he says, pushing you aside.

He is quiet for a moment. "She was hit in the shoulder. We have to move her to where I can examine her."

He picks her up, heads toward the medical offices.

You turn. David is lying on the floor, not moving.

1. Motherfucker. Kill him. Now.

2. Follow Jacob to where he's taking Nicole. Grab the rifle off the counter as you go past it.

Health: Normal - Poor, Left eye destroyed, unknown internal injuries/infection
Assets: Lead Pipe, change of clothes, contents of wallet, Nice watch (Showing 9:26), Revolver (3 bullets), 9mm automatic pistol (10 rounds) Swiss Army Knife, Roughly five day's worth of food and water, Car, near full tank of gas, Flashlight, batteries, lighter

Nicole:
Health: Shot in shoulder. Assets: Clothes. Skills: ????

"They" encountered:

"Faceless"

"Flesh Worm"

Friday

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2008, 01:33:45 AM »

2. Follow Jacob to where he's taking Nicole. Grab the rifle off the counter as you go past it.

You follow Jacob as he carries Nicole out of the room. You grab the rifle, passing David on the way. He's still laying on the ground, eyes closed, not moving. Your trigger finger tightens, but you look away, back to Nicole. Her face is visible above Jacob's shoulder, and her eyes are squeezed shut.

Jacob places her on an operating table. It's small, and probably meant for animals, seeing as how this is a vet. But then, Nicole is just a kid, so she fits on it fairly well.

Jacob leans over, looking at the wound.

"Did you see a bullet hole in the wall behind her? It looks like it went clear through, but I want to be sure."

"Yeah," you answer, your voice shaking a bit. "Yeah, I saw it."

Jacob sighs in relief. "Good. I was hoping that was the case."

You press forward, looking down at Nicole. There's not a whole lot of blood. The thought of going back and beating the shit out of David slips into your mind.

"Is she gonna be OK?" you ask.

"Yeah. I'm sure she'll be fine. I'm not a surgeon, but I'll clean out the wound and put some gauze to it. Put it in a sling for a while. We're lucky, it looks like the bullet missed the bone. Just went right through the meat. It's a good thing that it was such a high caliber rifle, otherwise, there might have been quite a messy exit wound."

You nod. "What did you do to David?"

"He's out. I gave him 2 ccs of Ketamine. He'll be out for a bit."

You touch Nicole's cheek, and run a finger through her hair. Hell, you've only known the kid for two days, if that, but you know you would miss her if she was gone.

"Listen. I need to get to work, here, and, um. You're only get in the way. Trust me, I'll take care of her."

"You've handled gunshot wounds before?"

"Well, no. Not real ones. But I know what to do. Listen, why don't you head out to get that generator? This will take a bit, and she'll probably be out for the rest of the day."

"What about David?"

"Well... I'll handle him. David felt provoked by you. He's had a hard time of it. I'm sure he'll come around, and feel terrible about this, once he's himself again."

"I don't fucking care what he says. You can't just go around shooting little girls."

"I know," Jacob says, and turns to look at you. "But we're in a situation that most people can't even remotely fathom. Some people handle it by detaching themselves. Leaving their emotions behind. Some people can't handle it. They lose their minds. David is fighting for his. I think if we give him time, he'll come back to us."

You shrug. "And you? How do you handle it?"

"Me?" says Jacob. "I use the drink."

You stare at him for a moment.

He laughs. "I'm kidding. I don't drink. Not since the lawsuit, anyway."

You stare again.

"I'm just ... what is that word you kids use? Messing. I'm just messing with you."

You smile a bit.

"There we go. Now, come on. I'll take care of Nicole, I promise. And David, too. I'll give him a good talking to. He'll turn around, you'll see. We can't be fighting each other at the same time we're trying to survive."

You sigh, and nod. "I still want to kick his face in for what he did."

"It's understandable. Now, please."

You turn to leave.

"Wait a minute."

"Yeah?" You say, turning back.

"I was thinking about something."

"What's up?"

"You said you saw... bodies, at that crater?"

"Yeah," you say, the memory suddenly flooding in, wiping everything else out, even the afterimage of Nicole getting shot.

"And that the faceless were bringing the bodies in to feed the worms."

"Uh huh."

"So... whatever this is, it seems to be centered around the crater. The faceless, the worms. The bodies being gathered."

"Yeah."

"So they're -- the faceless -- are bringing the bodies to the worms. This suggests that the worms are not capable of finding their own food source."

"So what?"

"Well, the blast killed a lot of people. A lot of bodies, mostly centered around the crater. But as the faceless find more and more of them, and bring them back to the crater for the worms, they're going to have to go farther and farther from the crater to find more food."

You suddenly realize where Jacob is going with this.

"Oh, shit."

"Yeah."

"So, we're gonna have company. How soon?"

"I don't know," Jacob says. "But we can't stay here. Not for much longer. We have to get away from that crater."

You nod.

"Alright, get going. And watch your back around that Benny guy."

"I will," you say. "You take care of Nicole."

"Will do. Now go."

Taking one last look at Nicole's pretty face, you leave and head back to the Lobby.

David is still laying on the floor, eyes shut. His head has fallen to one side, and there is a pool of drool next to his open mouth. You ignore him, and head out the door.

1. Get in the car, and head back to Tom's. You need to get that generator so Jacob can X-ray you. The sooner this is done, the sooner you can have peace of mind, and get back to Nicole.

2. You know what? You're not comfortable with leaving Nicole with Jacob, and especially David. Head back inside, tell Jacob you're staying until Nicole is better and able to come with you.

Weapons: Lead Pipe, Revolver (3 bullets), 9mm automatic pistol (10 rounds), Hunting Rifle (Scoped, unknown number of bullets)
Assets: change of clothes, contents of wallet, Nice watch (Showing 10:14), Swiss Army Knife, Roughly five day's worth of food and water, Car, near full tank of gas, Flashlight, batteries, lighter
Members in party: None

Nicole:

"They" encountered:

"Faceless"

"Flesh Worm"

Friday

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2008, 01:34:05 AM »

1. Get in the car, and head back to Tom's. You need to get that generator so Jacob can X-ray you. The sooner this is done, the sooner you can have peace of mind, and get back to Nicole.

Although hesitant to leave, you figure if you're going to go, you might as well get it over with. You can get there and back within an hour at the most, assuming you don't have any close encounters.

You check the car to make sure it's OK and all your stuff is there. It is, and you take off for Tom's.

The silent landscape passes by. You're heading back into territory that was damaged by the blast, now. You see no wildlife or humans of any kind, faceless or otherwise.

You're passing by a large billboard, still standing. It's one you've seen before, advertising some local cafe. But now, someone has written something over it, in what looks like a cross between graffiti and calligraphy:

one fine day
in the middle of the night
two dead boys
got up to fight
back to back
they faced each other
drew their swords
and shot each other
two deaf policemen
heard the noise
and they came running
and killed the two dead boys

You've slowed down to read it in full. The final line is cramped, written in smaller letters so it will fit on the billboard. The paint used is red. You're pretty sure this wasn't here last night, but then, you were driving the opposite direction, at night. You could have missed it.

You shake your head. Meaningless drivel. Someone probably wrote it just to fuck around. But as you pass the billboard by, something catches your eye. You stop the car and lean out the window. Something is written on the back:

how's your mom? :)

A strange sensation, like being watched, suddenly washes over you. You stare at the red paint. The hairs on your arms and neck are standing up.

The bottom part of the smiley face is still dripping fresh, like blood.

You can't see any ladders or paint buckets. Nothing, other than the writing, (and the apocalypse related stuff) looks out of the ordinary.

You sit there for a moment.

1. Get out of the car, investigate this billboard.

2. Fuck this. You're getting out of here, and getting that generator.

3. Fuck this. You're getting out of here, and fuck that generator too. You're heading back to the the vet, waiting for Nicole to get better, and then getting the fuck away from this place.

Friday

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2008, 01:34:22 AM »

2. Fuck this. You're getting out of here, and getting that generator.

You floor it, peeling out. Calming down a bit, you steady yourself and continue on the Tom's. It's not that far, only another three or four minutes.

The semi greets you as you pull up. It looks like the electricity is off again. Good. At least Benny knew enough to turn the lights off.

You get out of the car, 9mm in your leg pocket, revolver in hand. You leave the rifle in the car, since you won't be able to carry it and the generator. Walking toward the door, you notice that the inside of Tom's is a lot messier than when you left it. Shelves have been knocked over, and everything is strewn about. No sign of Benny, though. The door to the back room is shut.

You walk inside, debris crunching under your feet.

"Benny? Hello?" you say. You're not really intent on making friends again, but if he comes into view so you can put your gun on him, so much the better.

Going past the counter, you try to banish the image of that billboard from your mind. It had to have been a coincidence. You glance down at a can of beer. It's opened, but still has liquid in it.

There's a large bloodstain next to the door to the back room.

Shit. Did the faceless come for Benny last night sometime? Or...

Only one way to find out. You approach the door.

SCREEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

You feel the blast of air hit your shoes from under the door. There is a thud on the other side.

You quickly step back, away from the door you were about to open. You level your revolver at it. After about ten seconds, it becomes obvious that whatever is in there isn't able to open the door. You remember the door opening inward, so it'd have to grasp the handle and pull, instead of just pushing.

Well... looks like something got to Benny, or he turned into one himself.

1. Nah. He can have the generator. Time to head back.

2. Open the door, with a broom or something. Once you've let it out, you can deal with it from there.

3. Go back to the car, get your pipe and rifle. Maybe you could even shoot it through the door with the rifle.

4. Well, it seems to be stuck, for the moment. You could check out that semi.

Location: Northern California, ruins of your hometown (Tom's Gas and Mini-Mart)
Weapons: Lead Pipe, Revolver (3 bullets), 9mm automatic pistol (10 rounds), Hunting Rifle (Scoped, unknown number of bullets)
Assets: change of clothes, contents of wallet, Nice watch (Showing 10:14), Swiss Army Knife, Roughly five day's worth of food and water, Car, near full tank of gas, Flashlight, batteries, lighter

Nicole:

"They" encountered:

"Faceless"

"Flesh Worm"

Friday

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2008, 01:34:44 AM »

4. Well, it seems to be stuck, for the moment. You could check out that semi.

Shrugging, you leave the creature trapped in the room and head back outside to the semi. You're not sure why, but you're curious about it.

Not surprisingly, it's locked, just like Benny said. Holding your pistol by the barrel, you rap the driver's window and shatter it. Then you reach in and unlock the door.

The interior is clean. A hula girl rests on the dash. You check the driver's sun blinder, but find nothing but registration papers and driver's license. Hmm. Looks like this is Tom Jergen's truck. The same Tom who owns the gas station? Probably, but who knows? The picture is unfamiliar. Searching the glove box, you find a few maps you might find useful later. You pocket them.

Continuing your search of the front cab, you find a flashlight, and best of all, a radio. Not sure if you wanna mess with it right now, but you'll take it back to the car when you're done.

Moving your search to the back of the cab, you move aside some floor mats to uncover a small metal box that has been welded into the floor. Hmm. It's got a combination lock. No idea.

Try the lock? Or move on?

(If you have any idea what the combination might be, suggest it. If not, you will give up and move on. I will entertain up to three dual endorsed attempts.)

Friday

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2008, 01:35:04 AM »

Thinking back to the billboard you found earlier, you put together a combination of 1-22-2.

Nothing happens, and the box remains locked.

Hmmm.

(I will entertain two more guesses/attempts. Nice thinking, by the way, but not what I had in mind.)

Friday

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2008, 01:35:25 AM »

Looking up Tom's birth date from his driver's license, you input the combination 11 - 21 - 58.

Click. The lock has opened.

(You gain 150 exp)

With a bit of a self-satisfied smirk, you open up the box to find the staple of the genre, and a box of shells.

Sweet.

Damn. Looks like he sawed off the barrel, too. You count the shells, and find a total of twelve. The shotgun holds three, so you load it up, and stuff the box of shells into a pocket.

You're doing a final check of the cab when you get that little prick in the back of your neck that tells you that someone is behind you. Whirling, you find a faceless less than ten feet away.

Shit. While you were absorbed in the lock, this thing almost managed to sneak up on you. Is it the one from inside the door, or anoth --

SCREEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

You'll figure it out later.

1. Hey, perfect timing, dood! Say hello to my new little friend. (Headshot)

2. Shotgun, Center of Mass.

3. Shotgun, Legs.

4, 5, 6. 9mm, Head/Center/Legs.

7, 8, 9. Revolver, Head/Center/Legs.

10. Get the fuck out of there, get in the car, and drive off. He can keep the generator.

(For the record, this or firing at the lock with the rifle correctly would have worked. Anyway, nice work.)

Friday

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2008, 01:35:55 AM »

2. Shotgun, Center of Mass.

"Don't let this in your chest," you say, and pull the trigger.

Nothing happens.

Oh, right.

Shuck-shuck.

It's within five feet, now. You take a single step back.

"Don't let THIS in your chest!"

Nothing happens.

Oh, god damn it.

Safety off.

"Don't let -- oh fuck it."

SCREEEEEEEEEEEEEE -- BLAM

You fire the shotgun into the thing's chest at near point blank range. The blast of hot air abruptly ceases and the faceless goes flying backwards, spraying greenish red gore in all directions, some of it splashing onto you.

The kick is so strong and unexpected that you lose your grip on the shotgun, and it goes shooting backward it the cab with a clatter.

You turn and recover it, quickly, then whirl to face the faceless again.

It's down. Some of the vines are still moving feebly, but most have collapsed. Green blood mixes with red blood with green flecks in it. A pool is forming. Small bubbles of blood rise and pop from the wounds you have inflicted. After a moment of watching it, the remaining vines cease moving and fall to the ground.

You step forward.

1. Put another shell into it from distance. You want to be sure it's dead.

2. Switch to the 9mm, and shoot it, see if it reacts.

3. Switch to the revolver.

4. Nah, it's dead. No sense wasting ammo. Examine the body.

5. It's down, and perhaps dead, but that doesn't mean you wanna get anywhere near it. You'll check the building out, see if it's the one from inside the door. And wipe all this blood and shit off of you.

6. Time to go. You'll take what you've found and get the hell back to the vet.

Friday

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2008, 01:37:16 AM »

5. It's down, and perhaps dead, but that doesn't mean you wanna get anywhere near it. You'll check the building out, see if it's the one from inside the door. And wipe all this blood and shit off of you.

Circling around the downed faceless, you enter the store to find that the door in the back is standing open.

Geh. Damn things can open doors. Did it randomly manage it by pawing at it with vines, or... was it faking it before? The way it tried to sneak up on you makes you think the latter. Apparently these things are not completely devoid of intelligence.

Carefully, you enter the room. It's a mess. Shelves dumped to the ground, beer cans and whiskey bottles everywhere. They seem all at least partially full. Alcohol leaks onto the ground, soaking the blankets and sleeping bag. The generator is in the corner where you left it. You step back outside, checking quickly to see if the faceless is still down. It is.

You peer at it. The arms have relaxed in death. You spot a metal skull ring on one of the fingers you remember Benny wearing.

"Sorry, Benny," you say, though you're not. "I guess Nicole was right about you."

You don't want to be here any longer than you have to. You put the shotgun and revolver in the car so your hands will be free, pop the trunk, and head back for that generator. It takes you a minute to figure out how to unhook it from the wall. A container of gasoline is nearby that you didn't notice before. You lift the generator. It's a bit heavy, but you can manage it. You carry it out to the car, put it in the trunk. You take a quick look around.

Nothing. But a feeling of uneasiness has been steadily growing in you. If the faceless are smart enough to open doors and sneak up on people, they're also smart enough to hear another faceless screaming and head that way. You hurry back inside for the gas.

As you grab it, something catches your eye. It looks like a notebook, wedged in between a shelf and the wall. You pull it out and take a quick look, setting the gas down for the moment.

Most of the pages are blank. The first one has some writing on it:

left me alone here. bastard. when i find him i'll kill him. fucker doesn't know who he's messing with. goddamn it. the fridges must have failed because all the beer tastes like shit here. will get more from elsewhere tomorrow.

voices in my head are getting harder and harder to ignore. god i wish i was drunk right now. this end of the world shit is no fun sober. i miss zack.

zack came back! i saw him, i really did. his face was full of maggots. he wrote something on the wall in his own blood. i saw him do it but when i got close he was gone and so was the blood

little girl came back she was pointing at me i'll get her for leaving me here she knew all along god the voices won't stop god head hurts so much

can't sleep they come in right through the door my mom was yelling at me i've always been a loser i'm sorry mom please make the voices stop

so itchy

The writing trails off into gibberish for about another half a page, then ceases.

You fold the notebook under your arm and take the gas back out to the car. Shutting the trunk, you look around again. Still nothing. You look over at what used to be Benny's body.

1. Time to split. Nicole is waiting for you.

2. Examine the body up close. Maybe you can ever take it back to the vet so Jacob can study it.

Location: Northern California, ruins of your hometown (Tom's Gas and Mini-Mart)
Weapons: Lead Pipe, Revolver (3 bullets), 9mm automatic pistol (10 rounds), Hunting Rifle (Scoped, unknown number of bullets), Sawed-off Shotgun (11 shells)
Assets: change of clothes, contents of wallet, Nice watch (Showing 10:37), Swiss Army Knife, Roughly five day's worth of food and water, Car, near full tank of gas, Flashlight, batteries, lighter

Nicole:

"They" encountered:

"Faceless"

Resilience: Medium, can be killed by massive damage to torso
Special/Notes: Central nervous system does not seem to be present in the head

"Flesh Worm"

Friday

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 30, 2008, 01:37:32 AM »

1. Time to split. Nicole is waiting for you.

You hop in the car and slam the door. Looking in the mirror, you notice your lens that covers the missing eye is bloody. You take off your glasses and wipe them off with a towel. You start the car and pull out of the lot.

Benny's body lays still and quiet as you pull away. You turn your eyes back to the road.

As you drive through what is now becoming a semi-familiar route, you see for the first time movement to your left. You glance over to see a large woman walking toward the way you came on the sidewalk.

She turns to face you as you go slowly by, leaving no doubt as to what she is. He face is a bloody mess, and thin vines sprout from her stomach and back, wrapping her arms to her chest. She screams at you, and though the windows are rolled up, you imagine you can feel the blast of air on your face.

She begins walking toward you, but you quickly leave her behind. She seems to attempt to hurry after you for a moment, then simply turns around and continues on her way toward the gas station.

Still no signs of human or wild life.

You pass the billboard again. This time the back, advertising a hot-line for teen pregnancy, is facing you.

The original message has been scribbled out and is now unrecognizable. Except for the smiley face, which still looks like it's bleeding.

How's your mom?
How's the little girl? :)

The other side is still the same.

You shake your head, ignoring it. Whatever it is, there's no possible way it could be meant for you.

Suddenly, you slam on the brakes.

Someone is up there, up on the billboard.

How? There's no ladder.

He's looking at you. His face is impossible to make out from this distance. As you watch, he turns and walks around the billboard to the other side.

1. Nope. Keep heading to the vet.

2. Get out and investigate this billboard.

Friday

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 30, 2008, 01:37:49 AM »

2. Get out and investigate this billboard.

You park the car against the curb (wondering why you're bothering to pull over, really) and grab your rifle. You take a look around to make sure no faceless are in the immediate area. It looks clear, so you jog back toward the billboard. You give it plenty of space, and circle round to the other side.

The writing is still the same, and the man you saw earlier is standing right under the mouth of the smiley.

He's pointing at you.

You still can't make out his face from here. He's wearing some kind of dark suit. He is perfectly still, arm outstretched.

go up to him

shoot him

get back in the car and leave

how's your mom

how's nicole

why did you leave me to die

Jacob can't be trusted

Sudden, searing pain in your head. You grab your head and fall to your knees, groaning in agony. You can feel something moving around in the back of your skull. The pain is unlike anything you've ever felt before.

get away from him he is the source of your agony

ssssssssssssssssss

he knows everything he must die shoot him

hahahahaha

two dead boys

see you around, tits

what happened to you? it looks like you've seen a ghost

The pain fades, and with it, the overlapping voices. You regain your feet, panting. The crawling sensation is gone.

1. You've got a scope, a rifle, and a clear line of fire. Boom. Headshot.

2. Yell up to him. "Hello?!"

3. On second thought, forget it. Get back to the car, and head back to the vet.

4. Go to the base of the billboard. Look for a way up.

Friday

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 30, 2008, 01:38:08 AM »

2. Yell up to him. "Hello?!"

Your voice sounds strange to you. It echoes and comes back to your ears, distorted. In the distortions you hear your own voice twisted:

welcome

You take a quick step back, startled. The figure lowers its arm.

"Who are you!?" you yell.

Again, the echoing, your own voice distorted.

i am many

The pain in your head returns. You wince, and yell up again.

"What do you want?"

what you want

The pressure in your head intensifies.

"And what is that?"

Your voice returns once more, but all you can hear is an undercurrent of white hissing noise, like

ssssssssssssssssssssssss

The figure suddenly turns, and starts to walk around the billboard.

The pain in your head suddenly vanishes, like a light switch being turned off.

"Wait! Come back!" you yell, but the figure only turns the corner of the board, and your voice is normal again.

You hurry to the other side, but the figure is nowhere to be seen.

The poem, or whatever it is, is still there, still unaltered. There's no way he could be hiding up there. He might have jumped down and somehow gotten away, but unless he can fly, you'd have thought you'd have seen it.

"Fuck me," you say. You glance over at your car. Nothing left to do, here. And you don't want to stay, anyway. You sling the rifle over you shoulder, and --

Faceless. Three of them. In the yards of two nearby houses. Jesus. How did you miss them before?

They're advancing. You've got about thirty feet and a low fence in between you and them. How did they get so close without you noticing?

1. You're clear to get to your car. Run to it and drive away.

2. Put a rifle shot into the one closest to you, to be sure you'll have enough time to get to the car.

3. Fire at the close one with your 9mm, for above reasons.

4. ssssssssssssssssssssssssss

Friday

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 30, 2008, 01:38:44 AM »

1. You're clear to get to your car. Run to it and drive away.

You turn and flee as the faceless stagger slowly behind you. As you reach the car, you see two more coming in from the other side. One is a kid. His vines seem to be about twice as long as the others, or maybe it's just his (her?) small frame.

You jump in and gun it, steering around the older one who steps into the road, in front of you.

You're clear.

no you're not

check behind you

At the voices prompting, you look behind you again. Nothing is there. The pain in your head subsides again. You press your palms to your forehead and drive.

Seven minutes later, as you near the vet, you glance at your watch.

"What the hell?" you mutter. It's showing 2:28, more than three hours past what it should be. Almost four. You tap the glass with your finger. Weird.

You've reached the vet. The lawn looks like wet green paint in the heat of the day. Parking, you head inside.

A rush of slightly cooler air hits you as you step into the lobby. David is gone, and the chairs have been put back into their proper placements.

"Hello?" you say, a bit unsteadily.

Jacob emerges, looking concerned.

"You're back! What took you so long!? I was worried," he says, wringing his hands.

"Uh..."

1. Tell him everything.

2. Tell him everything except for the part about the Billboard Man and the writing on it.

3. sssssssssssssssssssss

4. "There's... not really time for a story, now. I got the generator, can you X-Ray me?"

Health: Unknown. At this point, you're pretty sure something is wrong with you.
Weapons: Lead Pipe, Revolver (3 bullets), 9mm automatic pistol (10 rounds), Hunting Rifle (Scoped, unknown number of bullets), Sawed-off Shotgun (11 shells)
Assets: change of clothes, contents of wallet, Nice watch (Showing 2:31), Swiss Army Knife, Roughly five day's worth of food and water, Car, near full tank of gas, Flashlight, batteries, lighter

Nicole:

"They" encountered:

"Faceless"

Resilience: Medium, can be killed by massive damage to torso
Special/Notes: Central nervous system does not seem to be present in the head

"Flesh Worm"

"Billboard Man"

Attacks: Unknown, seemed to summon other faceless
Special/Notes: Can suddenly vanish, or turn invisible. May be all in your head.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5