Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Author Topic: Fetish Talk!  (Read 12873 times)

Norondor

• Where I'm at is: Fuck you, get shot
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Fetish Talk!
« on: September 30, 2008, 12:15:19 PM »

excellent points, rygaron, but to clarify, i don't mean i like gaming or sex, i mean i have a scholarly interest in game design and sex.

sexual fetish, particularly, is fascinating to me. i think it's weird that so little research is done on it, when we have people who actually think that human beings are not attractive without inhuman characteristics. why the hell would that develop? what advantage is gained by being uninterested in your own goddamn species? seriously someone better start talking or i'll start shooting.

Guild

• High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Surviving the Real World.
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2008, 12:29:41 PM »

excellent points, rygaron, but to clarify, i don't mean i like gaming or sex, i mean i have a scholarly interest in game design and sex.

sexual fetish, particularly, is fascinating to me. i think it's weird that so little research is done on it, when we have people who actually think that human beings are not attractive without inhuman characteristics. why the hell would that develop? what advantage is gained by being uninterested in your own goddamn species? seriously someone better start talking or i'll start shooting.

gunplay turns me on

Classic

• Happens more often than you'd think.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2008, 12:32:25 PM »

There are actual sex research jobs, but they're so few you'll probably have to kill and blow someone to get the job. Oh, and you can't get one without at least a bachelor's in the subject.

I'm no expert, but what evidence even is there that fetish is at all hereditary?

sei

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2008, 12:32:28 PM »

It's not that being a furry provides any fitness advantage, as it might interfere a little with procreation (unless shared fetishes are ways that people can twist purchasing power in the mating pool).  It seems more likely that whatever tendencies/framework that such a fetish would free-ride on has/had other uses.  My guess is that it's a sort of analogous case to whatever underlies superstitious behavior.

There are actual sex research jobs, but they're so few you'll probably have to kill and blow someone to get the job. Oh, and you can't get one without at least a bachelor's in the subject.
Can't get an academic position without academic experience?  THAT'S UNPOSSIBLE

gundam turns me on

Ocksi

• Guy on a buffalo
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2008, 06:44:18 PM »

re: fetish: nurture trumps nature here; i would assume that at least most of the more inhuman fetishes stem from an adolescence of not being accepted in normal circles, and adopting a lifestyle that then leads to more social gratitude, which leads to an attraction in that same field.  but that's just an amateur opinion, as i am certain i've never met a well-adjusted furry, either on the enet or in the ar-el.

re: work: to find a job you like, just keep trying?  i work for a nonprofit that is devoted to assisting teachers and other state employees in NC, and we do good work and help keep these people financially stable, since the state itself doesn't seem to care much about doing so.  i got the job by just applying anywhere with an opening, because i was desperate.

it's not something i ever pictured myself doing, but it's given me a lot of insight into the kinds of things i do enjoy doing, and the job itself isn't so bad at all.

Classic

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2008, 06:48:21 PM »

I'm willing to take Ocksi's word as an authoritative source (because I agree with it! ::D: That's good science!).

So, I guess the next question for us to definitively answer is "Why the capacity for fetish at all?"

Do you suppose it helps to counteract how horrifically inbred humans are? As common "fetishes" are race-based?

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2008, 07:19:38 PM »

The path this thread took was, ah, odder than most.

Guild

• High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2008, 07:24:45 PM »

I've recently (read: within the last five years) discovered that my fetishes are based on positive events that happened in my adolescence, rather than negative.

Ocksi

• Guy on a buffalo
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2008, 07:31:15 PM »

makes sense, and works with my theory.  the positive would be the acceptance later, and that's the part focused on.  not the social retardation (because everyone's normal and it's not their fault).

Detonator

• You made me come back for THIS?
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Fetish Talk!
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2008, 07:56:24 PM »

Split this off, mostly so Max's original topic can get back on track.
"Imagine punching somebody so hard that they turned into a door. Then you found out that's where ALL doors come from, and you got initiated into a murder club that makes doors. The stronger you punch, the better the door. So there are like super strong murderers who punch people into Venetian doors and shit"

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2008, 11:06:04 PM »

It bears reminding at this point that humans are capable of sex purely for pleasure and with no intention of procreation.  (This isn't exactly unique to humans.  Homosexual behavior is found in plenty of species.  But we're the ones capable of actually contextualizing "This kind of thing usually leads to babies.  I don't want to have a baby, so I am going to put this object over my penis.")

I think this is usually the part of the conversation where Sharkey comes in and says that intellectual legacy is more important than genetic legacy.

Guild

• High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2008, 11:17:12 PM »

speak for yourself thad (or sharkey)!

the freeman genes are destined to save the universe someday

i gotta get me down to a sperm bank asap

Disposable Ninja

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2008, 11:21:35 PM »

I've recently (read: within the last five years) discovered that my fetishes are based on positive events that happened in my adolescence, rather than negative.

I'm pretty much the opposite, actually: my biggest kink was almost entirely absent from my adolescence.

sei

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2008, 11:23:37 PM »

Mine was just something I had positive experience with before sexuality of any sort entered the picture.

Detonator

• You made me come back for THIS?
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2008, 06:10:57 AM »

I'm pretty much the opposite, actually: my biggest kink was almost entirely absent from my adolescence.

DN lost his feet in a tire yard explosion.
"Imagine punching somebody so hard that they turned into a door. Then you found out that's where ALL doors come from, and you got initiated into a murder club that makes doors. The stronger you punch, the better the door. So there are like super strong murderers who punch people into Venetian doors and shit"

Disposable Ninja

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2008, 06:16:01 AM »

Feet ain't my biggest kink. They're just sexy.

Friday

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2008, 06:24:03 AM »

Mine was just something I had positive experience with before sexuality of any sort entered the picture.

Dinosaurs?

Classic

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2008, 06:58:26 AM »

Dragons... Luck Dragons?

Niku

• MEAT
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2008, 08:00:19 AM »

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_Hwp58SYfg&feature=related
i'm a blog now, blogs are cool: a fantastic machine made of meat

sei

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2008, 11:52:38 AM »

Dinosaurs?
Stomping around the bedroom looking for herbivores to eat is why I can only date vegetarians.

(Six panels and I'm done, every time.)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6