Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: MMOtymology  (Read 6876 times)

Kazz

• Projekt Direktor
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: MMOtymology
« Reply #40 on: October 07, 2008, 01:21:47 PM »

The PvP in those games is tacked-on.  WAR was built from the ground-up around PvP.

Lyrai: Can you blame me?

McDohl

• Pika-boo
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 07, 2008, 01:23:45 PM »

5 tankers in a free for all PVP fight is funny.

• Magic Gunner Miss Blue
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 07, 2008, 01:23:52 PM »

Not really, no, but Envy isn't Sora.

Envy doesn't purposely say stupid things to troll.

Bongo Bill

• Dinosaurcerer
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 07, 2008, 02:03:02 PM »

I miss Planetside.
...but is it art?

Detonator

• You made me come back for THIS?
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 07, 2008, 03:01:34 PM »

Not really, no, but Envy isn't Sora.

Envy doesn't purposely say stupid things to troll.

Can we have a pot/kettle icon?
"Imagine punching somebody so hard that they turned into a door. Then you found out that's where ALL doors come from, and you got initiated into a murder club that makes doors. The stronger you punch, the better the door. So there are like super strong murderers who punch people into Venetian doors and shit"

Friday

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 07, 2008, 03:05:50 PM »

Soon, actual words will become irrelevant. We will communicate solely as so:

Hey!
 :attn:
 :kazz:
 :blahblahblah:
 :wank:
your
 :cool:
and
 :profit:

:sarcasm:
you
 :fuckoff:
 :loser:

now go  :humpf: :tears: some more

why don't you :endit: emo kid

MadMAxJr

• Tested
    • View Profile
    • RPG Q&A
« Reply #46 on: October 07, 2008, 03:15:32 PM »

I miss Planetside being fun.

Being routinely raped by BFR teams, and the fact there's not enough population anymore to defend regions, only the forward line is kind of silly.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt." - Bertrand Russell

Got questions about RPGs?

Classic

• Happens more often than you'd think.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 07, 2008, 03:26:20 PM »

Please don't blaspheme against the patron saint of obnoxious comments.

:and: :to: :friday: :colon: :classic: :eagerly: :awaits: :day: :!!!: :whoops:

Doom

• ~run liek a wind~
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 07, 2008, 06:16:17 PM »

I always took Carebear to not mean less-than-hardcore, but rather people so namby-pamby that they can't even handle the idea of ATTEMPTING pvp.

I have a co-worker who used to play Mage in WoW who was like this. He couldn't even handle the suggestion that battlegrounds might be a little fun. Now, I can't blame him if he reaches this conclusion after bumming around in them a few times. Every single person having Season 2 gear makes the barrier-to-entry pretty shitty.

But he's a carebear because the idea of conflict frightens him. Lord knows that having never gotten past Karazhan, he wasn't hanging around for the PvE content.

• Magic Gunner Miss Blue
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 07, 2008, 06:25:03 PM »

I did PvP on the BGs up to 'Knight' Rank, participated in more than my fair share of Xroads raids/Southshore raids, and yet was still called a 'Carebear' by someone because i was on a PvE server.

My response was something along the lines of being able to go out and do quests without having to worry if some Undead Rogue nearby was pissy that mommy didn't let him have a cookie and decided to take it out on me and make it impossible for me to get anything done.

yes I am angry.

Norondor

• Where I'm at is: Fuck you, get shot
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 07, 2008, 06:56:07 PM »

My feelings on ganking are more or less the same as The Major's feelings on war, tbqh.

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 07, 2008, 07:24:29 PM »

I played a PvP server until I got to Tarren Mill.

Defenestration

• The Sixth Window
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 07, 2008, 07:36:29 PM »

I rolled PVE originally to play with a friend that thought I was crazy to try PVP. As soon as I learned I could stay flagged FOREVER at about level 12, I flagged and never, ever looked back or regretted it. I deflagged for raids and groups, obviously, but all in all I had a grand time. I did eventually reroll PVP, but I wouldn't play an MMORPG any other way now.
Una salus victis nullam sperare salutem

Kayma

• kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • http://twitter.com/kayma
« Reply #53 on: October 07, 2008, 07:42:31 PM »

I played a PvP server until I got to Tarren Mill.

Oh god. I still have nightmares about the first time I arrived at Tarren Mill. PVP central; Gankopolis! Lag lag lag lag lag lag dead.

:ohshi~:

Doom

• ~run liek a wind~
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 07, 2008, 07:45:19 PM »

I rolled PVE originally to play with a friend that thought I was crazy to try PVP. As soon as I learned I could stay flagged FOREVER at about level 12, I flagged and never, ever looked back or regretted it. I deflagged for raids and groups, obviously, but all in all I had a grand time. I did eventually reroll PVP, but I wouldn't play an MMORPG any other way now.

Alternatively, after rumbling through PvP servers at least 3-4 times, I am way too old for this shit and prefer PvE so that I can beat up monsters, get them to a nice percentage, and then go AFK for a minute to read an article paragraph.

I also like popping my cooldowns at less than 20% health and killing my extra mobs instead of being immediately Ambush Crit by some vulture.

... It was still fun-awesome when I did it, though.

Norondor

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 07, 2008, 07:47:59 PM »

I love playing a rogue and sapping people then leaving, stealthing and watching them jump around in a paranoid stupor.

I love playing a warlock and dotting people to death from the bushes where they can't see where i'm casting from.

I love being jumped by a warrior and being killed, knowing they'll charge me again at half health and i'll have a real fight on my hands.

I love chasing people back and forth across safe zones and guarded areas, /spitting on them, dying and leading them into traps and mind controlling them into elite monsters, spending an entire afternoon getting nothing done and posting screenshots of their corpse on the realm forums later.

PvP is fun.

King Klown

• Honk Honk
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 07, 2008, 07:52:36 PM »

Doom, that co-worker of ours is indeed, a genuine care-bear.

Remember that one time you were both over and I wanted to show him how to really gank someone and be an unlikable fuck? Stealthing into the town, ganking two AFK people, then following a 3rd into his grinding area, ganking him twice and massaging his shoulders? Do you remember the utter look of confounded terror in his eyes as he considered what would have probably happened to him on a PvP server? ;D

Doom

• ~run liek a wind~
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 07, 2008, 07:54:20 PM »

It is truly a love-hate affair.

The first great pvp thing I did was to get my mount as a 40 rogue. I rode to that Red Ridge Mountain Alliance town and used my maxed gun skill on lowbies getting quests. If I crit, they died instantly. It took some benevolent 50-60 showing up to even find me.

Between the unguarded bridge/lake and the monster zone directly on top of the town it was a pretty swank set-up.

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 07, 2008, 07:54:57 PM »

World PVP is really just a constant interruption.  Best case scenario, you're messing with somebody while they're trying to do something.  Usually it's someone messing with you while you're trying to do something, and worst case scenario you get ganked and camped and waste most of a day not having a whole lot of fun.

I really do like the battlegrounds - consensual, balanced PvP with its own driven point - and would probably be a lot less irritated if there were more neutral zones in WoW, or at least it didn't filter you straight through the contested zones right as the game's already starting to show its uglier properties.

Of course, the game probably doesn't work like that anymore.  Don't care.  Still tired of ganking.

Norondor

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 07, 2008, 07:55:24 PM »

The best time i ever had in WoW was the time Sei and i went on a cross-country tour of alliance flight masters, back when stunning them prevented them from calling adds. We stopped off in the spooky alliance woods and Sei stealthed into the inn, saying in party "/jawstheme." he was chased out by the hounds of hell, as Iron Arete found out about our little party and chased us down the whole continent into STV and killed us both before we got to duelin'.

I MISS SEI. :(
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5