Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 22

Author Topic: Zelda Blows  (Read 24150 times)

Doom

• ~run liek a wind~
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Zelda Sucks
« Reply #60 on: October 08, 2008, 10:45:18 AM »

The Hook-Shot is still the absolutely perfect iconic tool of the series, in my humble opinion.

That the best Zelda game, Wind Waker has two variations of it speaks sublime volumes of it.

But seriously though, I always spend at least infinite hours in each Zelda game firing the hook shot into anything and everything.

McDohl

• Pika-boo
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 08, 2008, 10:55:45 AM »

of course, nowadays, the hookshot/clawshot can only be fired in to clearly marked doodads.  Granted, I haven't messed around with it much on the overworld in TP, but I just finished the Twilight Temple a few days ago.

Classic

• Happens more often than you'd think.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 08, 2008, 10:59:44 AM »

Well, that's the thing though, Hook-Shot is great. But why should there be two versions of it? It's a bit hazy, but did the two versions at least have different swinging mechanics? I could accept such a thing, but I don't remember for sure and for certain. I just remember OMG AMAZING FINAL BATTLE.

Also:
the hookshot/clawshot can only be fired in to clearly marked doodads. 

Is a better example of bad hookshot replication.
Though I must confess, getting the double claw and pretending to be spider-link was a guilty pleasure I still haven't quite gotten over. Problem was, you spent most of the game using a single and wondering why Link didn't do anything useful with his other arm, being pissed at not being able to get items that you should very clearly be able to get.

McDohl

• Pika-boo
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 08, 2008, 11:05:12 AM »

getting the double claw and pretending to be spider-link was a guilty pleasure I still haven't quite gotten over
this

Norondor

• Where I'm at is: Fuck you, get shot
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 08, 2008, 11:35:00 AM »

Again, i really prefer the hookshot replacement in Oracle of Seasons, the Magnetic Gloves. They can attract and repel marked objects in the world and be used to shove around metal enemies (Darknuts, those fuckers with the morning stars that are so impossible to kill) and they can be used as a BACKWARDS HOOKSHOT on metal posts, which totally rules.

Also, Classic, i am surprised you didn't mention the boomerang. Along with Roc's Feather it is #1 in "things i equip the most besides a sword" in every single game it shows up in. Having an infinite-ammo ranged stunning attack when your protagonist does most of his damage in melee is pretty clearly a good thing!

Classic

• Happens more often than you'd think.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 08, 2008, 11:55:05 AM »

It is a game staple for exactly those reasons, but I'm not sure it's essential in the same way the hookshot is. The new multi-target systems for the boomerang make it a more potent puzzle solving tool, but until these recent developments the boomerang wasn't necessary for any puzzles and even in these examples I could imagine someone defending the claim to it's puzzle solving abilities being irrelevant to it's combat abilities and vice-versa (though, again, I wouldn't do it myself).

I excluded the boomerang from my initial list purposefully because I wasn't convinced it was "essential" in the same way that arrows, bombs, and hookshot (which I missed due to senility). My :wuv: for the boomerang is pretty potent and was also a factor in second-guessing it's place on the "essential" list.

I agree with you that the Roc's Items have been some of my favorites, but this might be because I really enjoy mobility altering/enhancing items. One of my favorite items in LttP remains the Pegasus Boots. CHAAAAAARGE!

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #66 on: October 08, 2008, 11:57:46 AM »

Well, that's the thing though, Hook-Shot is great. But why should there be two versions of it? It's a bit hazy, but did the two versions at least have different swinging mechanics?

Yeah.  One was the grappling hook.

Norondor

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 08, 2008, 12:01:09 PM »

I agree with you that the Roc's Items have been some of my favorites, but this might be because I really enjoy mobility altering/enhancing items. One of my favorite items in LttP remains the Pegasus Boots. CHAAAAAARGE!

Agreed but i really dislike using them in tandem with the Roc's feather/cape for super jumps, given how pits in the GB games suck you in.  :humpf:

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 08, 2008, 02:22:58 PM »

Boomerang is the iconic Zelda tool, mainly because you get it so early in the first game, it's in nearly every one, and it's unique enough to stand on its own (everyone has bombs).  Plus it continues to be amazing that you can grab items from way over there wooooooah.

François

• Huh.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 08, 2008, 02:28:49 PM »

The boomerang is Link's trusted sidekick. He's always there for you, and he'll even find his way back if you leave the screen while he's out. Sure, sometimes you throw him at a bad guy and he makes that "tink" sound and does nothing, but that's okay. He tried his best. And even then he's still better than the bow, that money-grubbing mercenary guaranteed to let you down as soon as your funds run out.

Royal☭

• Supreme Court Judge President
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 08, 2008, 02:48:51 PM »

bow has the guts to do what boomerang can't.

Kill a man.
Bow/Palin 08!

McDohl

• Pika-boo
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 08, 2008, 02:57:22 PM »

in b4 sokka :approve:

Detonator

• You made me come back for THIS?
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 08, 2008, 04:00:23 PM »

You do always come back! ::D:

Hookshot was great in LttP and all, but I think it's acceptance as a series staple has diminished its impact.  I would rather see something brand new next game, even though the "new" stuff in TP was kinda lame.

I don't even remember the special items in Phantom Hourglass.  Was there anything significant?
"Imagine punching somebody so hard that they turned into a door. Then you found out that's where ALL doors come from, and you got initiated into a murder club that makes doors. The stronger you punch, the better the door. So there are like super strong murderers who punch people into Venetian doors and shit"

Norondor

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 08, 2008, 05:33:50 PM »

A top you can ride on and a magic cane that's even more useless than the cane of pacci, if you can believe that.

Detonator

• You made me come back for THIS?
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 08, 2008, 05:36:05 PM »

I don't even remember the special items in Phantom Hourglass.  Was there anything significant?
A top you can ride on and a magic cane that's even more useless than the cane of pacci, if you can believe that.

That was Twilight Princess, or did they do it AGAIN?
"Imagine punching somebody so hard that they turned into a door. Then you found out that's where ALL doors come from, and you got initiated into a murder club that makes doors. The stronger you punch, the better the door. So there are like super strong murderers who punch people into Venetian doors and shit"

Norondor

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: October 08, 2008, 05:46:22 PM »

oh UH i misread that good work me

Phantom hourglass, unless i am totally blanking on something, had NO unique items. The one that's made the least appearances is the hammer. However, they are all used in various awesome ways with the touchscreen, which kind of makes up for it?

Bongo Bill

• Dinosaurcerer
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 09, 2008, 06:10:47 AM »

Phantom Hourglass had, I guess, the boat? But that hardly counts.

The spinner was great fun in the few places that you were able to use it.
...but is it art?

McDohl

• Pika-boo
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 09, 2008, 07:58:29 AM »

Like that boss fight.  I totally dug the boss fight in the dungeon with the Spinner.

MadMAxJr

• Tested
    • View Profile
    • RPG Q&A
« Reply #78 on: October 09, 2008, 10:10:46 AM »

The gameboy one with the windfish (Oh god I can't recall the actual name).  Flying chicken.  Throw boomerang.  Pick up flying chicken.  Boomerang is now a tiny angry god below you that will viciously murder anything you fly over.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt." - Bertrand Russell

Got questions about RPGs?

McDohl

• Pika-boo
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 09, 2008, 10:18:00 AM »

link's awakening
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 22