Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 22

Author Topic: Zelda Blows  (Read 35807 times)

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Zelda Sucks
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2008, 08:01:01 PM »

:tears:

Bongo Bill

• Dinosaurcerer
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2008, 08:07:01 PM »

Minish Cap and Twilight Princess have unlockable advanced sword maneuvers (most of which, in the latter case, amount to doing Wind Waker's counterattacks manually). Twilight Princess suffers a little bit from equipment creep - the slingshot and the dominion rod were useless outside their own dungeons, the spinner and the ball & chain don't open up much beyond the obvious, and the water bomb upgrade wasn't handled well - but it's all still just widgets. And, despite Norondor, it's still a hell of a game.
...but is it art?

McFrugal

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2008, 08:09:06 PM »

I beat Oracle of Seasons, but it turns out my copy of Oracle of Ages has a dead battery!  Or, I think that's the problem.  My save erases when I turn it off.  Thank god I found that out before playing more than 20 minutes.

I haven't gotten up the motivation to buy that stupid tool to open the cart so I can replace it.  Plus I hear it could be welded in there.

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2008, 08:10:59 PM »

I gave away those games.  Twice.  To pretty girls.  I'm fucking emulating it if I play them again.

Alex

• the Slug
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2008, 08:12:43 PM »

I'm going to have to back up Norondor on TP.  I wanted to like it so much after Wind Waker left an absolutely terrible taste in my mouth, but it fought me every step of the way and won out in the end by being easy enough to put me to sleep.  The ball and chain sub-boss gave me the most trouble in the game.

the water bomb upgrade was handled well because you could at least use them for bomb arrows.

::D:

Norondor

• Where I'm at is: Fuck you, get shot
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2008, 08:19:15 PM »

See, Bill, just as you said, the equipment creep really pissed me off. Yeah, i know you guys like having all these new toys every dungeon, but either make them useful or just cut them, you idiots.

Also, the ultra-realistic style makes the game look horrible when you run into the unnatural-looking freaks that populate the N64-style zelda worlds. It also makes the natural-looking characters freaky -- Ganondorf's head is, like, 3 feet long.

Norondor

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2008, 08:21:08 PM »

I'm going to have to back up Norondor on TP.  I wanted to like it so much after Wind Waker left an absolutely terrible taste in my mouth,

FUCK YOU BUDDY, sailing may be a bit boring but the last act of that game redeems the whole thing and the dungeons are lightning bolts better than TP's.

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2008, 08:21:23 PM »

Dungeons are essentially built around their contained item now.  You might as well start calling them the Bow Temple, the Hookshot Temple, the Boomerang Temple...

Norondor

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2008, 08:24:20 PM »

Dungeons are essentially built around their contained item now.  You might as well start calling them the Bow Temple, the Hookshot Temple, the Boomerang Temple...

This has been the case since the SNES at least, and possibly even Zelda 2. The difference is, in TP the items in the top dungeon, stupid stick dungeon, and slingshot dungeon are never used again. They're just useless filler, and the game's dungeons are already so long that they become boring way before the last boss fight.

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2008, 08:24:49 PM »

Bombchu.

Norondor

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2008, 08:25:36 PM »

... what about it.

Royal☭

• Supreme Court Judge President
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2008, 08:36:14 PM »

FUCK YOU BUDDY, sailing may be a bit boring but the last act of that game redeems the whole thing and the dungeons are lightning bolts better than TP's.

Hey so once Wind Waker stops being about sailing and starts acting like other Zelda games it becomes fun?  What a concept!

Disposable Ninja

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2008, 08:38:08 PM »

I liked sailing in WW.

Honestly, I liked everything in WW.

They... could have done the Triforce hunt better, I'll give you.

Everything else was right tits in my opinion, though.

Norondor

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2008, 08:53:12 PM »

Hey so once Wind Waker stops being about sailing and starts acting like other Zelda games it becomes fun?  What a concept!

Yeah, the larger point here is that the parts where it gets off its ass and starts being a zelda game are better than any other zelda game.

It seems that not bothering with designing and modeling a giant useless mostly-empty overworld that, and fuck you if you try to fight me on this point, is exactly as boring and stupid and pointless as a giant ocean you have to sail around, allowed them to focus on making the game look and play better than any previous nintendo-headed effort in the series. What. A. Concept.

Doom

• ~run liek a wind~
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2008, 08:55:21 PM »

It seems that not bothering with designing and modeling a giant useless mostly-empty overworld that, and fuck you if you try to fight me on this point, is exactly as boring and stupid and pointless as a giant ocean you have to sail around, allowed them to focus on making the game look and play better than any previous nintendo-headed effort in the series. What. A. Concept.

Yeah really, we havn't had an Overworld worth exploring since Link to the Past.

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2008, 08:56:07 PM »

YMMV on the actual Zelda bits too though.  I actually liked sailing the most, though it was grating to have to do it so often.

Royal☭

• Supreme Court Judge President
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2008, 08:58:30 PM »

The problem with sailing is that it took forever to get anywhere (you can complain about OoT being empty, but in the time it takes to get Epona from Kokiri Village to Hyrule Castle, that's the same as going from island to island), there was nothing to do once you got anywhere except maybe find A RED RUPEE!  THAT'S WORTH 10 RUPEES over and over again, and on top of that there were a lot of monsters which once they hit you off the boat did a good job of hitting you off the boat again once you got back on.   And you could barely outrun them.

Rosencrantz

• Renegade Game Counselor
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 07, 2008, 09:00:18 PM »

Yeah, it was stupid how you couldn't have any other items equipped when the sail was out. God, that was probably my least favorite part.

(We probably need a split by this point.)

Bongo Bill

• Dinosaurcerer
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 07, 2008, 09:02:09 PM »

I think I'll replay Minish Cap.
...but is it art?

Alex

• the Slug
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 07, 2008, 09:03:40 PM »

Sailing was food making/laundry doing/errand doing time, downgrading to simply food making time once I got the Song of Gales or whatever that teleporting song was.

The rest of the game was just not all that interesting to me as I wasn't taken in by the cel shading, the combat, the stealth segments, Tingle (and the fucking Triforce hunt) or Link's big cat-like eyes, not that I enjoyed Tobey Maguire Link in TP, who could only widen his eyes and smile stupidly at everything.

I'm really thankful it was a gift and not something I actually spent money on.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 22