Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 39 40 ... 45

Author Topic: Culture Wars  (Read 72783 times)

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Culture Wars
« Reply #680 on: May 10, 2012, 06:23:05 PM »

In fairness, that link does state the contents right in the URL.

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: May 10, 2012, 07:55:32 PM »

(The next most common negative images? : “judgmental,” “hypocritical,” and “too involved in politics.”)

A little disturbed that more people are pissed off that the church is mean to gay people than they are that the church is mean, period.  It almost feels like, okay, sure, it's hip to be queer now, but that just means we're going to flit on over to beating up somebody else we find different somehow.

Classic

• Happens more often than you'd think.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: May 10, 2012, 08:13:14 PM »

The kind of people who want the church to change is the same kind of people who believe that the church won't undo steps in the right direction.

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #683 on: May 10, 2012, 09:07:07 PM »

A little disturbed that more people are pissed off that the church is mean to gay people than they are that the church is mean, period.  It almost feels like, okay, sure, it's hip to be queer now, but that just means we're going to flit on over to beating up somebody else we find different somehow.

Weeeell, one way of looking at it is just that when you look at bigotry within American Christianity, it IS currently laser-focused more on gay people than anyone else.

But on a macro level, I'm afraid you're right.  Most of the people currently opposed to gay marriage wouldn't dream of opposing interracial marriage.  The judgemental types just keep finding some new group that it's socially acceptable to discriminate against.

(This, incidentally, is why it's even more infuriating when Obama plays the "states' rights" card than when a run-of-the-mill bigot does it.  He is literally using the exact argument that people used to try to deny HIS parents the right to marry.)

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: May 10, 2012, 09:15:56 PM »

(This, incidentally, is why it's even more infuriating when Obama plays the "states' rights" card than when a run-of-the-mill bigot does it.  He is literally using the exact argument that people used to try to deny HIS parents the right to marry.)

I'm glad somebody else thought this was :scanners:

Royal☭

• Supreme Court Judge President
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: May 11, 2012, 05:01:32 AM »

...but that just means we're going to flit on over to beating up somebody else we find different somehow.

Like the Girl Scouts

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: May 11, 2012, 07:29:56 AM »

What are they going to do, excommunicate the fucking GSA?  Okay, have fun with that.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: May 11, 2012, 08:00:40 AM »

Is there an organization they could beat up on that would make them seem even MORE like cartoon villains? Because I'm drawing a blank here.

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: May 11, 2012, 08:11:33 AM »

The ASPCA, maybe?

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: May 11, 2012, 09:19:44 AM »

I'd say "saveably ill and/or domestically abused children", but the House budget seems to have those two covered.  The Church is really lagging in the fucked-up priorities arms race.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #690 on: July 03, 2012, 11:45:28 AM »

So uh in accordance with Poe's Law I'm wondering whether this Texas Republican Party Platform is an elaborate joke.

We oppose the teaching of Higher Order Thinking Skills (HOTS) (values clarification), critical thinking skills and similar programs that are simply a relabeling of Outcome-Based Education (OBE) (mastery learning) which focus on behavior modification and have the purpose of challenging the student's fixed beliefs and undermining parental authority.

Critical thinking?!  That's fucking crazy.  Here's what our students SHOULD be getting:

We recommend that local school boards and classroom teachers be given more authority to deal with disciplinary problems.  Corporal punishment is effective and legal in Texas.

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: July 03, 2012, 12:06:33 PM »

Am I to understand that they do not believe in undermining the parental authority of Muslim mothers and fathers?

TA

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: July 03, 2012, 12:11:51 PM »

Am I to understand that they do not believe in undermining the parental authority of Muslim mothers and fathers?

:scanners:
Do you understand how terrifying the words “vibrating strap on” are for an asexual? That’s like saying “the holocaust” to a Jew.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #693 on: July 03, 2012, 12:34:24 PM »

Wow, as melon-scratchers go, that's a honey-doodle.

Doom

• ~run liek a wind~
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: July 03, 2012, 01:15:31 PM »

So uh in accordance with Poe's Law I'm wondering whether this Texas Republican Party Platform is an elaborate joke.

We oppose the teaching of Higher Order Thinking Skills (HOTS) (values clarification), critical thinking skills and similar programs that are simply a relabeling of Outcome-Based Education (OBE) (mastery learning) which focus on behavior modification and have the purpose of challenging the student's fixed beliefs and undermining parental authority.

Critical thinking?!  That's fucking crazy.  Here's what our students SHOULD be getting:

We recommend that local school boards and classroom teachers be given more authority to deal with disciplinary problems.  Corporal punishment is effective and legal in Texas.

The GOP would love it if they could make more of the general population as dumb and malleable as say, Ditto-Heads. Pretty legit without even having to bump shoulders with "Those In Power" conspiracy theories. It's just a natural condition for their policies becoming so toxic.

Imagine the voting bloc it would take to make a Santorum presidency. Now imagine how badly the Right is going to overreact if Mitt loses as the "guy who isn't extreme" and who they'll nominate in 2016!

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: July 03, 2012, 03:48:54 PM »

>Implying there are muslims in Texas

Bal

• Cheerful in the face of nuclear armageddon
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: July 03, 2012, 04:04:30 PM »

That bit about discouraging critical thinking had me grinding my teeth so hard I bled.

Rico

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: July 03, 2012, 08:53:54 PM »

you're so white you should vote Republican anyway.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #698 on: July 03, 2012, 08:59:54 PM »

That bit about discouraging critical thinking had me grinding my teeth so hard I bled.

I hear they've edited that out since they started getting attention for it.

Because obviously if you remove the phrase "critical thinking" then the rest of the document is totally not embarrassing at all.

Bal

• Cheerful in the face of nuclear armageddon
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: July 04, 2012, 01:20:08 AM »

you're so white you should vote Republican anyway.

It's a defense technique. I blind assailants in the sun and then run off.

I hear they've edited that out since they started getting attention for it.

Because obviously if you remove the phrase "critical thinking" then the rest of the document is totally not embarrassing at all.

Yeah, the overall promotion of stupidity still shines through.
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 39 40 ... 45