Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 45

Author Topic: Culture Wars  (Read 73439 times)

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
Re: Culture Wars
« Reply #60 on: October 17, 2008, 10:23:41 PM »

I'll just leave this here,

That's a Star of David on the ghost's head; sort of odd that nobody mentions the anti-Semitism alongside the racism.

As a sociologist, I'm really interested to hear why you think race is a dying issue.

The issue of race is dying with the ignorance that is racism (just a bit more slowly).

Guild, quoting something you said earlier to answer a question doesn't really work as well when IT'S THE EXACT SAME STATEMENT THE PERSON WAS QUESTIONING.

All this "I'm being totally serious here" protestation is sort of hard to buy when you keep doing shit like that.

Guild

• High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 17, 2008, 10:27:45 PM »

God hate's nigers and fag.

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 17, 2008, 10:36:47 PM »

So you're trying to make racism an issue by loudly asserting that it is a non-issue.

Romosome

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 17, 2008, 10:43:44 PM »

thank god Guild says racism is dead so he has the opportunity to tell people that are horrified by that statement that racism is bad.

A brilliant plan.

Romosome

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 17, 2008, 10:47:12 PM »

Also, I know saying this is hypocritical after indulging in this bullshit, but you're all derailing whatever topic you originally had to play debate with Guild while he just jerks off about his "powers" of manipulative retardation by saying shocking things and giggling as everyone reacts.

Classic

• Happens more often than you'd think.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 17, 2008, 10:47:37 PM »

Guild, I'm not entirely sure what you've said. I think you just said that you say the "race is dead" clap and use it to go on a tear and say a bunch of sensible things, and then followed it up with, "If we keep saying it's true, it will be true eventually". To which you add... "Dattebayo" :shudder:
I'm not sure I can read anything right now. So, if this turns out to be completely retarded in the morning I am so sorry.

What's worse: discriminating against poor black people because they're poor, or discriminating against them because they're black?

I'm pretty sure I'm not really driving at the point properly, but the idea is that racism masks itself as discriminating against the poor. So there's not really any difference in the racists of today (or rather, the late 90's) using "cultural and economic differences" to justify their racism and the racists of the past.

Guild

• High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 17, 2008, 10:55:28 PM »

Then there's always a Romosome nearby to spit on the whole process. What a huge hater.

So you're trying to make racism dead by loudly asserting that it is dead.

What does Dattebayo mean? I thought that icon meant something like "The more you know!" It was supposed to be self-effacious.

Classic

• Happens more often than you'd think.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 17, 2008, 11:02:13 PM »

I wasn't talking about the icon. That will indeed work as "The more you know!" I'm gonna have to say wiki for it yourself.

Guild

• High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 17, 2008, 11:06:08 PM »

Meh, it's probably not that important.

Edit: Ha.

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 17, 2008, 11:16:46 PM »

So you're trying to make racism dead by loudly asserting that it is dead.

You're trying to make people ignore it by getting them to not ignore it by telling them to ignore it because you want them to... um...

Aha!

Guild

• High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 17, 2008, 11:36:47 PM »

You're trying to make people ignore it

No.  :wat: I think you and I missed each other thoroughly in this exchange. I'm just going to erase the damn post.

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #71 on: October 18, 2008, 12:32:46 AM »

Also, I know saying this is hypocritical after indulging in this bullshit, but you're all derailing whatever topic you originally had to play debate with Guild while he just jerks off about his "powers" of manipulative retardation by saying shocking things and giggling as everyone reacts.

I was totally ignoring him but then like 10 people kept replying to him and there was no point anymore.

But maybe we SHOULD split this extra stuff over to Guild's Opinions like we did with the other thread.

sei

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 18, 2008, 12:34:23 AM »

I was sort of hoping the split would be named "Guild Wars," but if we made a new thread for every Guilderail...

Bal

• Cheerful in the face of nuclear armageddon
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 18, 2008, 12:36:49 AM »

The supposition that racism is disappearing and that therefore race is becoming a non-issue is flawed on a number of levels.

First, it presupposes that racism is disappearing. If by "disappearing" you mean "rarely stated openly" then perhaps you have a point, but to say that the overall racism held by people personally is declining in any significant way is, at the very least, unsupported by any evidence I have seen.

Second, even accepting the first part as true, the issues associated with race are not 100% tied into racism. Cultural differences can create problems in an environment of total racial equality and acceptance.

Thirdly, your assertion that ignorance = racism, and therefore an less ignorant person is a less racist person is demonstrably false. Many very intelligent, well educated people are also virulent racists. Racism is closer to religious faith than it is a mere lack of knowledge. The racist knows that the object of their hate is all the things they believe them to be. It doesn't matter what contrary evidence is presented to them, that's just more evidence.

This isn't universally true, obviously, but to dismiss racism as mere ignorance is to empower it in a way.

Guild

• High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 18, 2008, 12:59:46 AM »

The supposition that racism is disappearing and that therefore race is becoming a non-issue is flawed on a number of levels.

First, it presupposes that racism is disappearing. If by "disappearing" you mean "rarely stated openly" then perhaps you have a point, but to say that the overall racism held by people personally is declining in any significant way is, at the very least, unsupported by any evidence I have seen.

Your refutation of my premise lacks punch.

Second, even accepting the first part as true, the issues associated with race are not 100% tied into racism. Cultural differences can create problems in an environment of total racial equality and acceptance.

You've got me. It's mostly a way to open up discourse, which I believe is the proper answer to bigotry in all its forms.

Thirdly, your assertion that ignorance = racism, and therefore an less ignorant person is a less racist person is demonstrably false. Many very intelligent, well educated people are also virulent racists. Racism is closer to religious faith than it is a mere lack of knowledge. The racist knows that the object of their hate is all the things they believe them to be. It doesn't matter what contrary evidence is presented to them, that's just more evidence.

Woah, woah. I did say racism was ignorance, but I did not say that an intelligent person cannot be ignorant.

Ignorance in people with a high IQ is especially insidious.

Maybe we should use another word besides intelligent. How about "enlightened, non-shitbag member of society?"

Whatever word you use, racist geniuses aren't going to blind me with science while I'm armed with not being a complete retard myself. And if they're out championing racism, I can go out and champion a celebration of the similarities between all humans.

Kazz

• Projekt Direktor
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: October 18, 2008, 01:05:15 AM »

LIKE TITTIES

Bal

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 18, 2008, 01:30:01 AM »

Whatever word you use, racist geniuses aren't going to blind me with science while I'm armed with not being a complete retard myself. And if they're out championing racism, I can go out and champion a celebration of the similarities between all humans.

This is missing the point by a wide margin. It's not that intelligent racists are going to win people over to there sides with their massive intellects. In fact I have no idea where you even came up with the notion. My point is that racism is not simply ignorance, and to dismiss it as such is to empower racism in general. To say that a racist is "just ignorant" excuses the racist, whether you intend it to or not. This isn't to say that ignorance isn't a factor, obviously it is, but it's a deeper seated issue that just not knowing any better.

The second sentence there just comes off as "look how tolerant and enlightened I am" chest thumping

sei

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 18, 2008, 01:36:33 AM »

It's not that intelligent racists are going to win people over to there sides with their massive intellects. In fact I have no idea where you even came up with the notion.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_racism

Bal

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 18, 2008, 01:38:55 AM »

I meant where he got the notion from what I said.

sei

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 18, 2008, 01:41:12 AM »

K.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 45