Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 74

Author Topic: Webcomics that aren't MSPA  (Read 114960 times)

Sharkey

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Webcomics that aren't MSPA
« on: January 15, 2008, 08:42:57 PM »

It's nice to have something resembling a morning routine beyond shit, shower, shave. Running through the secure familiarity of a comic strip is one of the more pleasant options. Unfortunately, the internet's ability to make me smile in anything other than a the-world-is-ten-kinds-of-fucked-and-the-bitch-had-it-coming kind of way has waned recently.

Current reading list includes:

xkcd - Actually, this is more insecure familiarity. The kind you get when you realize that someone has been following you around and drawing crude stick figure illustrations of your life's most uncomfortable moments.

Achewood - Obviously. Infrequent laugh out loud moments, but a constant feeling of satisfaction. Plus, the ever present hope that it'll again do something comparable to that Cartilage Head arc.

Cat and Girl - Was somewhat more entertaining before I started sharing a desk with Jeremy. USRDA of existential angst re: modern life is more than met.

Bongo Bill

• Dinosaurcerer
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Webcomicry
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2008, 08:50:14 PM »

Dresden Codak, Minus, and Rice Boy are good eatin'.
...but is it art?

Sharkey

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2008, 09:03:06 PM »

Dresden Codak, Minus, and Rice Boy are good eatin'.

Rice boy was fun when there was archive to go through, but it's so slow moving that unless I forget about it for a few months and catch up all at once it just doesn't do anything. It's like reading a book at one letter per day.

Dresden Codak, however, is entirely new to me, and love at first sight. At least, if they're all anything like the first one I saw.

I periodically check on Gunnerkirgg Court, and feel intensely ashamed of myself for it.

Bongo Bill

• Dinosaurcerer
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2008, 09:09:25 PM »

White Ninja is the best ninja in comics. Yes, even better than Dr. McNinja. And Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal, while good (fluctuates from "hilarious" to "tries too hard"), is primarily remarkable for its update schedule, which is usually once or sometimes even twice a day.
...but is it art?

Doom

• ~run liek a wind~
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2008, 09:14:46 PM »

Scary Go Round and Achewood are dailies.

I'm the sort of word mutant who also bookmarks Order of the Stick for my weekly.

And this wins forever because half the time the facial expressions are enough to draw laughter.

I'm still fucking bummed that Solomon went out of business. Trashing webcomics is always a good time and a good troll.

I've actually pulled away from quite a few stinkers in my time. It's like actually adopting and sticking to new good habits, you feel smarter and better.

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2008, 09:45:45 PM »

I've personally added webcomics to my nightly routine, right before shave, shower, and shit.  At this point it's:

Sluggy Freelance - Yeah, yeah.  Reading Sluggy at this point is just like being married to the thing; we're both constantly angry and cheating on each other, and the bitch ain't getting any prettier, but frankly we've been together for so long that I just can't imagine it not being there every night to let me know the world's still stable.

8-Bit Theater - If Sluggy's my wife, 8BT is my evil harpy of an ex who I can't seem to stop seeing even though I completely hate her guts.

Schlock Mercenary - Easily the most improved artwork in a webcomic ever, while the writing has always been consistently intelligent and entertaining.  Your daily fix of soft-boiled sci-fi and hard-boiled wit.

The Adventures of Doctor McNinja - Currently my favorite of the lot.  When it's not consistently funny, it's consistently awesome.  For some reason I can never convince anybody besides Thad of this, though.

Achewood - The only current strip-format comic, digital or otherwise, with any sort of cultural value whatsoever... which the creator himself thinks is a ridiculous idea and constantly makes fun of.  People I tend to make friends with always seem to already be reading it.

Looking for Group - I haven't played WoW in over a year, but the beauty of LFG is that it doesn't require in depth knowledge of who Nerz'ghul is or anything like that.  It's content to simply spend its time skewering the various archetypes and stereotypes that WoW presents.  I do wish Sohmer would get a writer or something, though, because sometimes he misses something and then suddenly the plot makes no sense.

Maxwell the Demon - Your standard "Devil in a business suit" tale, written by a woman, which for some reason makes it so much the more better.  Beautifully drawn, too.  Most of the time.

The Non-Adventures of Wonderella - Deconstructing superheroines.  Yep yep.

Misfile - I really ought to stop reading this crap, but it always seems about a week away from a teenage lesbian sex scene.  Like Kryptonite, I am powerless to resist.

Penny Arcade - I keep up with PA, but I don't read it with any regularity and I usually don't read the news posts much unless it's necessary to understand the strip (which it often is, god damn it).  Tycho and Gabe understand their own importance in the gamer community and they tend to be a little bit irritating about it, whether they mean to or not.

There's also a smattering of strips that I'll check in on every few months and read the archives of, or which are probably still good and I don't read them anymore.  This list is probably more than enough for now, though.

Doom

• ~run liek a wind~
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2008, 09:56:58 PM »

I actually still read PA since like, their second year and enjoy it pretty regularly.

But every time they copy and paste after so many fucking years I want to fly out just to slug Gabe.

Bal

• Cheerful in the face of nuclear armageddon
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2008, 10:11:47 PM »

Perry Bible Fellowship delivers on a regular basis.

Sharkey

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2008, 10:18:03 PM »

I do read PA. I kind of left it out, with a few others, because it's kind of like pointing out that you breathe air. I'm frequently entertained by it, and Tycho's ramblings.

Gabe, on the other hand, I'm still annoyed with after that rant about Assassin's Creed reviews. The one where he pretty much said our reviewer must not have enjoyed it because he was driven to play through it rapidly for a review. Which was both pure conjecture and douchebaggery. The extended argument is that the circumstances under which a professional critic works render his opinion invalid. It's an accusation that ranks up there with "somebody else paid you to trash it," and "You just hate Sony/Microsoft/The Jews" on the list of popular horseshit explanations for why the opinion of a critic of any medium isn't in line with yours. Those kinds of comments, however, are typically limited to barely literate slopeheads who don't realize there are numbers between 1 and 10 and spend way too much time advertising the fact in review comments, because any of these things are apparently more plausible than maybe someone just playing the damn thing and having less fun than you did. I figured he knew better.

Especially what with this particular comic, which sums up the entire above rant in a much more entertaining way.

Which isn't to say that I hate the guy. I just wish he'd stick to drawing and dick jokes.

Royal☭

• Supreme Court Judge President
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2008, 10:36:55 PM »

Each and every one* of you should feel ashamed for not mentioning Perry Bible Fellowship.  I'm not really sure what the update schedule is, but each comic never fails to make me laugh.

The Pain is probably the best political cartoon in existence, and the artist's statements that back up each comic are insightful, poignant, and hilarious all at once.

Brad Neely is most likely some kind of savant.  After delivering to us the George Washington music video, his Creased Comics are just about the most bizarre things I've ever seen.

Bad Gods is the latest from Lore Sjolberg but it's infrequently updated.

And finally, KC Green is my fucking hero and shall be until I die.  Amen.

*not bal, apparently.

Bongo Bill

• Dinosaurcerer
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2008, 10:41:12 PM »

PBF got listed. But anyway.

Schlock Mercenary is lively and consistent entertainment, and although Dinosaur Comics seems past its prime, that still puts it far ahead of the pack, and other trite metaphors.
...but is it art?

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2008, 10:41:43 PM »

There's not enough PBF to read frequently.  Same with Girly.  Your best bet is to let them simmer for a long time, then catch it all in a block.

Royal☭

• Supreme Court Judge President
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2008, 10:44:07 PM »

PBF got listed. But anyway.

Liar.

Oh wait.  Man, I'm used to every post on Pyoko being HUGE HUGE HUGE

Koah

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2008, 11:44:40 PM »

Nobody Scores.  I really can't think of any way to make this seem appealing at the moment except to use vague terms such as "like Dresden Codak, only with less science and more sociology and economics."

Bongo Bill

• Dinosaurcerer
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2008, 07:33:24 AM »

Sociology and economics are science! Technically!
...but is it art?

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2008, 08:00:40 AM »

Everything else I read has been mentioned, but I do enjoy PartiallyClips from time to time.

Arc

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2008, 08:20:32 AM »

From month to month, I've the 'luxury' of forgetting web comics even exist, as a medium or otherwise, so updates are a non-issue.

The only two I visit with any frequency are The Pain (mentioned above), and Bob The Angry Flower, which is now in formula land. Thankfully, the formula works, the author's very recent admiration of Ron Paul not withstanding.

The Nineteenth-Century Industrialist - A true discovery from the last time we went over this topic. Glib writing aside, the lining and coloring seem to be one or two filters away from finished.

Never understood the appeal of Achewood, and Minus (the character) ticks me off enough that I wish to stomp on her children's genitals.

Dresden Codak

Holy. Shit.

PBF got listed.

And so did Schlock Mercenary. OH SLAM BOYEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeee~~~

Zaratustra

• what
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Zaratustra Productions
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2008, 10:13:02 AM »

S D S

• Who?
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Shawn Struck
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2008, 10:49:04 AM »

A bunch of the ones I read are already mentioned (Order of the Stick, Penny Arcade, Bad Gods, xkcd, Something Positive, The Pain, Achewood, Nedroid) , so:

Minus. It's a little hard to explain. I'd recommend starting at the very beginning and working your way up to now. In a nutshell, there's this kid, Minus, who has odd flights of fancy and is apparently wields godlike amounts of power of over time and reality, and uses it for stuff you'd maybe expect: go on weird adventures, fuck with grownups, terrorize cites, etc. And I love the art. As the artist explains, "Each minus strip is painted on a 15x20" piece of Illustration board. With this comic I am pretending I am making a comic strip for a newspaper in the early 20th century. A special newspaper that lets me use as much color as I want, because real papers have limitations on that sort of thing. Or maybe they did in the past I'm not sure! "

Some Guy With A Website-- The art is okay, but the political humor and some of the more surreal jokes are right up my alley. The artist is probably most famous for his Internet Argument Cartoon.

Ozy and Millie-- I like the art, and something about the strip reminds my of Calvin and Hobbes before Watterson turned into a bit of a bitter cartoonist hermit.

I don't know if This Modern World, The K Chronicles and Tom The Dancing Bug count though-- I read them ON the web, but they were print comics first.

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2008, 12:24:10 PM »

Ozy and Millie I can't read because I know too much about the author and his friends.

goddam furfags  :thad:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 74