Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33 34 ... 74

Author Topic: Webcomics that aren't MSPA  (Read 115436 times)

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Webcomicry
« Reply #560 on: June 30, 2009, 05:28:20 PM »

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: June 30, 2009, 05:29:34 PM »

in soviet russia

The Artist Formerly Known As Yoji

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: July 10, 2009, 10:21:11 AM »

Pros: Webcomic that isn't just some copy-paste job? Being drawn live on the Intertubes? Awesome!
Cons: Oh wait, it's just Megaslowkyo again...

It'd be neat to see this in something like Three Panel Soul or even XKCD, but I guess I'll take what I can get.

...Fred, you know it in your heart how the story must end... [spoiler]Massive gay orgy[/spoiler]

Disposable Ninja

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: July 11, 2009, 11:17:03 AM »

Lackadaisy finally updated again. Continues being the best drawn webcomic on the internet.

Shinra

• Big Juicy Winners
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: July 11, 2009, 12:39:56 PM »

Pros: Webcomic that isn't just some copy-paste job? Being drawn live on the Intertubes? Awesome!

It'd be neat to see this in something like Three Panel Soul or even XKCD, but I guess I'll take what I can get.

...Fred, you know it in your heart how the story must end... [spoiler]Massive gay orgy[/spoiler]

After, what, ten years? Megatokyo's art has still not improved AT ALL.

Kazz

• Projekt Direktor
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: July 11, 2009, 12:53:06 PM »

isn't megatokyo that gaming comic that turned into a coping-with-your-pedophilia comic

McDohl

• Pika-boo
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: July 11, 2009, 12:55:25 PM »

With a salt-shaker prank's worth of weeaboo.

yyler

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: July 11, 2009, 01:00:14 PM »

A friend of mine, Miles Grover, just launched a new comic called Creep House. I really like it so far.

You may know him as the guy behind Thinkin' Lincoln but I honestly like that comic not a whole lot these days, though there are some amazing gems in his archive.

Koah

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: July 11, 2009, 01:26:11 PM »

After, what, ten years? Megatokyo's art has still not improved AT ALL.

I'd stick that Family Guy "I Disagree" image macro here if I could be bothered to.

Playing devil's advocate for a second, whatshisface's artwork has improved; simply looking at the first few comics and comparing them to his later stuff confirms this.  Maybe not better in all respects (would it have killed him to at least get a unique style of drawing generic anime girls?), and maybe he's sort of plateaued at this point, but it has gotten better overall.  Still, I can't help but wonder if his style would have developed differently had it been in the hands of someone who wasn't, you know, the male Japanophile equivalent of Laurell K. Hamilton.

Doom

• ~run liek a wind~
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: July 11, 2009, 01:54:33 PM »

You have to make actual effort or be truly pathetic to stagnate to the degree that ol' Freddie boy has. I mean, TEN YEARS. A DECADE. Probably most of that spent living off the comic. It'd be pathetic even if you had strictly average standards. He's lower than a robot.

And when I left off he was doing that much. Updating maybe once or twice a week, missing updates frequently and putting up vomit from his stick figure friend, basically being pathetic.

When you say "It's gotten better overall", I imagine it'd be more accurate to say "he doodled for kicks with his friend for a year, realized he could make a living, and stuck to a consistent point of minimal effort that was at least slightly better than the original doodles." I stopped even checking Megatokyo on a bi-annual basis like six years ago. Today's strip could easily be slipped into year two or three.

TO TRULY PLAY DEVIL'S ADVOCATE FOR A SECOND, I am in fact envious as hell of people who realize they can show up to "work", put in five minutes of actual work and sit there jacking off for the other metaphorical 8 hours of the day. Megatokyo, Ctrl-Alt-Delete, etc etc etc. I guess all it really takes is that initial and unique miracle of internet cluster-fucking to ride for the rest of your adult life. Manning up and actually being great at it like Penny Arcade is strictly optional.

Koah

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #570 on: July 11, 2009, 02:16:39 PM »

Being disappointed over webcomics never was my forte.  :nyoro~n:

My LKH analogy is still spot-on, though.

EDIT: Fuck it.  Fuck it!  Hold on, everyone shut the fuck up and let me think for a second.

Okay.  So.

Gaston was bad, but he got better.  I haven't read it in fucking ages so I don't know when that happened exactly and I have better things to do than read the entire bloody archives of Megatokyo to figure out when, but at some point he did.  The art just stopped improving at some point (or "plateaued," as I put it) in some sort of calculated effort at Jim Davis-esque sustained mediocrity, except that Jim Davis could actually keep to a schedule.  He's not bad, per se (it's all generic moeblob bullshit but at least it isn't actively offensive), but the fact that he's settled for slightly above average with no interest or incentive to get better is more damning than any lack of talent.

Is that what we're driving at here?  Is that it?  Gaston being a disgusting, stagnant beast unable to crawl out of his own misery and surrounded by spineless apologists that would embarrass the Papacy while parroting the most insipid excesses of Japan's bastard children at a near-glacial pace?

Jesus fucking Christ.

Is self-improvement some sort of bad word these days?  Are people so afraid of criticism or doing something hard or - heaven forbid - losing that they throw a shit fit whenever someone suggests that maybe they could be doing something wrong?  I mean look at that last post up there by me.  LOOK AT IT.  That is some spineless, flaccid arguing.  But it reinforced a very good rule for me: Don't try to argue a fucking point if you don't fucking know anything about it.  I fucked up!  I admit it!  I did something wrong, Doom saw an opening and he attacked my weak point for massive damage!

(He still used "devil's advocate" when he did not, in fact, argue the opposing viewpoint and just expressed jealousy over the exact thing that I started a tangent over but that doesn't count for anything at this point, at all, ever.)

But oh wait you can't do anything wrong on the Internet!  Not when there's so many people telling you that you did something right!  That's some serious "everyone is special in their own way" bullshit right there and it sickens me.  You think that people point out perspective problems or bad grammar or plotting or sloppy code or poor level design because they hate you?  If they hated you they'd just call you names and troll your MySpace page.  They do this because it's generally assumed that when people do something they want to get better at it.  But maybe not!  Maybe someone just wants to be... average.  Maybe they like perspective problems or bad plotting or constant hall of mirror effects.  I do not know!  I am not them!  Possibly because I am not so fucking insecure as to take people pointing out errors I didn't see as personal attacks and most likely because - get this - I realize that I am not infallible!  I am not perfect!  Neither are you!  It's amazing, I know!

There's a saying I toss around a lot and usually I'm joking when I say it but here I'm not: "You don't get the fans you want, you get the fans you deserve."  Well I gotta tell you right now, Megatokyo proves this.  It practically defines that saying, because MT's forums are a bunch of underage no-talent weeaboos who wouldn't know quality from QUALITY if it broke their boxes of Pocky open and drove that stale-ass shit under their fingernails, and if you talk shit about MT every single one of them will defend this fucking comic to the death - to the death.  Gaston's probably too depressed over his own inconsequential shit to get it up these days, much less respond to criticism, but that's okay because he has a great big forum full of rollicking, teeming, unwashed masses ready to tear you apart if you point out things like his chronic ability to keep to a schedule or stagnating art because OH-EM-EFFING-GEE HE MADE FUN OF PIRO-SAMA.  Good job, you guys.  Maybe if you shout a little louder you can drown out that little voice of doubt in your mind that says that maybe the other guy's got a point.

Any human being with a shred of decency would eventually become disgusted with the perpetuation of a plot most Japanese artists at least have the decency to add gratuitous sex scenes to (so even though you're wasting your time reading it you have something to show for your efforts) and either the unwillingness or inability to get better at something, because heaven knows enough of the former readers have.  But maybe that's what's happened.  Maybe he got disgusted with himself years ago and he's dragging his feet but doesn't have the balls to either man up or put a bullet in this abomination so he's just keeping the status quo.

Same as usual, then, I suppose.  At least he has his fans to keep him company.

At this point I don't even fucking care that this is all amazingly long-winded and potentially off-topic and illogical because I'm going to forget everything I typed in a matter of hours, and if you know what's good for you then you will too.

• Magic Gunner Miss Blue
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: July 12, 2009, 02:33:55 PM »

All I took away from that is:

Megatokyo is the Webcomic Equivalent of Garfield.

Mothra

• ┐('~`;)┌ w/e
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: July 12, 2009, 03:08:12 PM »

See now, my problem with Garfield is that, at one point, as a child, I could bring myself to enjoy it. It was wacky, and Jon yelling at his cat for all manner of shenanigans was entertaining enough to get a couple solid laughs out of me. I only became genuinely annoyed when I would pay for a volume of fat cat jokes, and instead, find that Jim Davis had taken an enormous shit on a page of paper. I had wasted my seven dollars, and I resented him for it.

With MegaTokyo, and I did read MT for a bit before it was clear the comic had no intention of going anywhere whatsoever, I've come to the conclusion that this was as far as Fred wanted to go with it, and that yes, his comic sucks, but whatever. And this is an important concept to understand. But whatever.

The wonderful thing about webcomics is that they're completely free of charge, and accessible only by means of actively deciding to go there and submit yourself to their mind-blowing retardation. If a comic sucks as hard as MT eventually did, I stop going there. I no longer have to think about it, much less get frustrated by it. It's not like there's a million-dollar live-action MT movie being released with a dancing CG cat whose trailer I am forced to sit through, it's not like I have Piro plushies and leather-bound anthologies dominating every kid's section of the bookstore, I can completely ignore the existence of MT and it is wonderful.

If Fred decided, for whatever fucking reason, that this was as far as he wanted to go, well that's just fine and dandy. I'm not paying him, I don't need to be reminded of him, I certainly don't need to get frustrated by him (I've had more than one friend deliver me a similar rant), he's just a comically obese dude on the internet who decided that what his self-insertion online manga was good enough.

tl;dr Why do people care so much about this? It's free and on the internet.

Bongo Bill

• Dinosaurcerer
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: July 12, 2009, 03:21:55 PM »

If Internet people stopped producing hyperbolic complaints about inconsequential annoyances, life as we know it would cease to exist.
...but is it art?

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: July 12, 2009, 03:24:25 PM »

If Internet people stopped producing hyperbolic complaints about inconsequential annoyances, life as we know it would cease to exist.

Bongobill and TF2 are actually the source of the Sun's fusion reactions.

Koah

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: July 12, 2009, 04:43:48 PM »

At some point Rodney decided it was worth charging money for and made a deal to publish it both here and in Japan (dunno if someone is translating it for Glorious Nippon as the comic goes on, but if not it's the only way to read it in Japanese), which means that his work ethic has gone from "that's good enough" to "that's good enough, people will buy it anyway," which is pretty shitty by anyone's standards.  At least the guy who does Berserk is a much better artist and has his sudden addiction to Idolmaster to blame for his lapse in productivity.

Secondly, it's not that I care about it, it's that I had problems articulating what I wanted to say, got frustrated and decided to go off on whatever was closest... which was that.

yyler

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: July 12, 2009, 04:49:52 PM »

Just because something is free and online doesn't mean that it should be subject to zero criticism. That is why. There is an element of "We could just not pay it any mind and it will probably go away" but given the amount of stupid people on the Internet it is important to occasionally make a distinction between them and yourself. The easiest way to do this is to criticize something online that is free.

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: July 12, 2009, 04:56:42 PM »

Constructive criticism is best aimed at the author, not at an internet message board whose members probably have zero collective interest in the thing.

Royal☭

• Supreme Court Judge President
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: July 12, 2009, 04:57:06 PM »

Also, repeatedly stating that something sucks isn't really an opinion, nor is it constructive.

yyler

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: July 12, 2009, 04:59:50 PM »

That's why I don't talk about webcomics here. I talk about them on webcomics boards.

Anyway I was just sayin'.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33 34 ... 74