Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 ... 38

Author Topic: Left 4 Dead  (Read 44557 times)

François

• Huh.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Left 4 Dead
« Reply #400 on: November 07, 2009, 10:11:25 AM »

The worst thing about the jockey is how you're not completely helpless when he's on you. If you get pounced or tongued, it sucks, but in a way it becomes somebody else's problem; you're removed from the equation entirely. It's almost like a little break. But the jockey? Nope, he puts you in OHSHITOHSHITOHSHIT mode and you need to struggle and help save yourself before you get fucked up more. He's mostly in charge, and you can't win by yourself, but you still gotta make him work for it.

Saturn

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: November 07, 2009, 07:30:09 PM »

the military sniper rifle is a goddamn death cannon.

Kazz

• Projekt Direktor
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: November 07, 2009, 07:50:24 PM »

The Spitter should be really dangerous.  He's a one-man counter to closeting.

However, his damage IS very high.  Like, really really high.  I think it should accelerate; start with a small but significant amount of health loss, but after a second the damage rate doubles, then a little later it quadruples, and by then you are dead sir.

It might already work this way; if so, it should work this way slightly slower.

Let me reiterate that I love the Spitter and if he stays this dangerous then I won't complain.

Defenestration

• The Sixth Window
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: November 07, 2009, 08:00:04 PM »

Una salus victis nullam sperare salutem

Bleck

• Tailor Made Squid Unicycles
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: November 07, 2009, 08:06:12 PM »

I've never really been bothered by the Spitter, which I assume is because I understand that if I don't closet in places, I can very easily walk off of the goo.

Saturn

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #405 on: November 07, 2009, 08:37:48 PM »

I've never really been bothered by the Spitter, which I assume is because I understand that if I don't closet in places, I can very easily walk off of the goo.

if you are in orange/red hp or otherwise slowed down you are gonna get fucked

a hunter/charger/smoker grabbing you in the goo is a death sentence

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: November 07, 2009, 10:56:41 PM »

Tried the demo out of some sort of obligatory feeling aaaand yeah it's probably pretty great if you liked the original.  The zombies are zombier, the weapons are shootier, the personalities are more personable, the specials are douchier, and the penalties for fucking up are more penalizing.  I still think it's missing whatever spark is needed to make it interesting without three other people you specifically know and a bottle of tequila though.

Norondor

• Where I'm at is: Fuck you, get shot
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: November 07, 2009, 10:59:39 PM »

well that's just the way of things.

i saw you playing, maybe i should have barged in and beat you with a frying pan to make the experience complete?

Alex

• the Slug
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: November 16, 2009, 11:45:35 PM »

I'm finally getting around to trying those custom campaigns Zed posted, starting with 7 Days Later (in lieu of not having money to spend on L4D2).  I don't know if I'm just lucky or I'm being set up with the first witch, but it sure feels like the latter.

François

• Huh.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: November 17, 2009, 01:24:12 AM »

It's totally a trap. A propane tank explosion will stun a witch for a couple of seconds but it's definitely not going to one-shot her.

Right now I'm taking a break from trying to beat L4D2's first campaign's second level on Advanced in single player after like five unsuccessful attempts. Man these bots are dumb. We're at the beginning safe house. There are four medpacks. Two bots pick one. Another picks one, and uses it, so there's one left. I'm nearly at full health and I'm carring a box of explosive rounds (which take the place of a medpack!). Logically the bot who just used a pack should pick up the remaining one, but no, he won't.

The level is legitimately difficult though, so I can't blame it all on the AI. It's indoors, mostly big open areas with lots of clutter, and it's dark. Really dark. It feels much darker than any area in the first game.

In any case I'm probably going to start over on Normal. That, or stay on Advanced but pick up some human comrades, which seems the better idea.

In other news, holy shit the grenade launcher is nuts. The TF2 demoman is launching firecrackers by comparison. It feels like you're throwing propane tanks that detonate on impact. The friendly fire is kind of brutal though; I'm not sure it's going to be much use on Expert.

The chainsaw is crazy fun, it's the equivalent of putting up a wall of death in front of you, but its limited fuel introduces the idea that you might actually run out of offensive options completely. Though that's not so bad since melee weapons seem fairly common so far.

What else, what else... The laser sight is good, basically a straight upgrade item, but I find its best purpose is that it lets you see where everyone is pointing their guns.

The incendiary and explosive ammo don't seem like a huge deal so far, but every bit helps I suppose. Thinking back on it I'd rather take a medpack though.

Entertainingly enough, the first "oh shit!" moment happens seconds into the game. [spoiler]You pick up your medpack, you get your choice of extra pistol or melee weapon, and you get your... err... Uh-oh. Nope, no tier 1 weapons here![/spoiler]

Bal

• Cheerful in the face of nuclear armageddon
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: November 17, 2009, 02:06:14 AM »

I've only played a bit of Scavenge and the commentary run through The Parish (highly recommend the commentary as always), aside from my time spent with the demo. Scavenger mode neatly fits into that competitive niche that was missing from L4D1, that being the quick game. The mode is split into rounds where each team is scored 1 to 1 on how many gas cans they manage to get into the McGuffin as their run on the survivors. The structure can be one round, best of three, or best of five. After the first benchmark is set by the first team to play as survivors the survivors automatically win, and end the round, but beating the score of the other team within the same round. So if you shut out in the other team as infected in round 2, you only have to score one gas can to take the round and move on to the next one, rather than forcing you to play to the death.

The new specials are a blast to play. I think I particularly enjoy the charger. His play style is kind of like a one shot tank. You have this tremendously disruptive charge, and then start pounding on your chosen target, but you can't just man handle the whole team like the tank can. The spitter plays a lot like the smoker, waiting for the right time to drop that pool of acid, which does not fuck around by the way. The jockey is just a bastard. You wouldn't think the little shit  could even get that close to you, and then next thing you know he's dragging you around a corner, right into some waiting friends of his, or into some fucking fire, or some other god awful fate you never saw coming.

Experience so far: Fuck yeah.

François

• Huh.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: November 17, 2009, 02:41:40 AM »

The range on the charger and jockey grabs is kind of nutty. The jockey can be bashed (or slashed) mid-leap à la hunter, but the timing is difficult. Also, the special infected grabs seem to bypass an active chainsaw so it can't be relied on to shield you at all (which is fair I suppose).

Errata: That was level 3 I was stuck on, and emptying the chainsaw leaves you with a basic pistol.

Aaaaand normal is still pretty easy.

Experience so far: Fuck yeah.

Kazz

• Projekt Direktor
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: November 17, 2009, 03:23:46 AM »

Bal

• Cheerful in the face of nuclear armageddon
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: November 17, 2009, 03:25:27 AM »

Just played through the first campaign with Kazz and a couple pugs and holy fucking shit. I thought the gauntlet crescendos were crazy, but there are ones that emulate Scavenge mode apparently, and they are crazy as fuck.

Highlight of the game so far: Smashing through a horde of zombies in a 1970's era stock car.  

Alex

• the Slug
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: November 17, 2009, 04:08:01 AM »

It's totally a trap. A propane tank explosion will stun a witch for a couple of seconds but it's definitely not going to one-shot her.

I thought about it for a minute and decided 'Why not?' then made the witch chase me until the bots killed her.

Quick Edit: Only got around to doing 7 Hours Later and Cape Murder.  7HL does feel like it drags on a little too long for my liking while CM was pretty damn fun and very well designed from my own perspective.  I always like when there's no suspiciously spacious hallways in buildings because it feels like an actual person might've built it for non-zombie apocalypse activities.

François

• Huh.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: November 17, 2009, 04:11:06 AM »

single player

:wat:

I wanted to try the new weapons and see the levels at my own pace without having to deal with some spaztards rushing ahead and grabbing all the grenade launchers and chainsaws. Now that I've seen what I wanted to see and tried what I wanted to try I'll enjoy the real game more, spaztards and all. Can't be worse than those fucking bots.

King Klown

• Honk Honk
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: November 17, 2009, 01:29:48 PM »

Oh man is Realism mode fun/scary.

François

• Huh.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: November 17, 2009, 06:17:12 PM »

I'm still not a huge fan of the old assault rifle (it's not awful but everything it does I'd rather do with something else), but the AK and combat rifle are growing on me. I especially like the AK's single-shot capability; combined with its high per-round damage, it makes it feel extremely efficient. Range is a problem but I got a pistol for that. It's almost like a precise shotgun with a huge clip that can instantly go full-auto for several seconds.

The combat rifle has all the automatic long-range benefits of the assault rifle, but the burst fire makes me feel totally in control. It's not as good in short-range crowd management, but in that case I'd much rather have an autoshotty. Or a crowbar.

The sniper rifle still feels godly. It's basically tier 3. I can't believe they made it that good. With a laser sight on you can use it to snipe on the run, and special ammo seems like it lasts forever if you're smart about it.

The magnum's so strong and the reload is so short I don't know why anyone would pick dual pistols over it. For my money, it's hard to beat eight-shot-eight-kills with infinite ammo. I suppose I just have a preference for precise high-damage weapons over the spray-and-pray type. (Which is weird because I'd rather play the Heavy than the Sniper. Hmm.)

King Klown

• Honk Honk
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: November 17, 2009, 06:36:20 PM »

Just finished Hard Rain. Holy shit have they out done themselves with the quality of scary shit that can happen.

It reminds me of the idea Bal had a while back. Have an ice stage, with zombies popping out of the snow.

Cept replace the snow with impossible to see through rain.

Saturn

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: November 17, 2009, 07:31:05 PM »

FUCK CLOWNS

also i swear to god the AI is even DUMBER.  (HURR MUST CLIMB LADDER TO MELEE TONGUED SURVIVOR INSTEAD OF SHOOTING SMOKER) (HURR I'M TOO CLOSE TO THE ACID  SO I GOTTA STOP HELPING YOU UP/HEALING)
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 ... 38