Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 ... 38

Author Topic: Left 4 Dead  (Read 44658 times)

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Left 4 Dead
« Reply #320 on: May 01, 2009, 10:13:15 PM »

So... am I playing this game wrong, or is there something wrong with me?

It's not bad.  It's definitely not bad.

But it's... I dunno... lacking in depth?

I mean, you got your zombies, and you got your special zombies, and once you know exactly what to do about each of them, you don't have much of a problem.  It's all about knowing the moves and being ready to do them, and occasionally combine them, and be aware of what the other three guys on your team are doing.

I mean, I was just in a game with three other guys who had played the exact same number of times as me - twice - and we waltzed our way through Dead Air or whatever with hardly any difficulties at all.  The challenge level was only Normal, but still.

I understand that the game is more or less designed to be like that, and that it gets harder as you kick its ass more.  But eeeeeeh.

Going through this thread all the rest of y'all seemed to think it was an instant flavah hit, so I'm inclined to think that if I don't like it already, I may honestly just not like it.  Just another Chrono Trigger I guess.  Dunno.  Have about 10 more hours to decide.  Might not sleep tonight.

Anyway, if you guys have any how-to-have-fun in L4D tips to help bring me around, lemme know please.  I love the idea and want to flip this fucking rock over and find the damn magic that everyone else has found.

Detonator

• You made me come back for THIS?
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: May 01, 2009, 10:16:53 PM »

NORMAL IS SMALL TIME

PLAY ON EXPERT
"Imagine punching somebody so hard that they turned into a door. Then you found out that's where ALL doors come from, and you got initiated into a murder club that makes doors. The stronger you punch, the better the door. So there are like super strong murderers who punch people into Venetian doors and shit"

yyler

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: May 01, 2009, 10:19:12 PM »

Kill your friends

Spam the laugh command

King Klown

• Honk Honk
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: May 01, 2009, 10:44:15 PM »

I think everyone in this thread could solo normal mode for the most part.

Try it on Expert and see what you get.

If you're like me, or Doom, you'll find that fire is a lovely thing to use against zombies. Or zombie sympathizers.  :smile:

Edit: Its also more fun to play with people you know, because its doubly funny to laugh at them the next day when you cleverly incap them.

Arc

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: May 01, 2009, 10:47:35 PM »

So... am I playing this game wrong, or is there something wrong with me?

Played the campaigns on single player and some co-op upon the original release, and tried out versus with this recent trial.

I was back to KA-BOOMing within twenty minutes.

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: May 01, 2009, 11:11:51 PM »

I will admit that it's nice to feel like An Hero reviving your entire team in Versus Mode while waiting for the boat at the end of Dead Toll, or whatever the hell is the one with the boat.

Of course, about 2 minutes later there were so many trash mobs up our asses that it came down to "Is Brentai reloading when the Hunter spawns?  y/n"  (y)

Detonator

• You made me come back for THIS?
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: May 01, 2009, 11:43:47 PM »

Note: The slogan of the game is not "It's the zombie apocalypse.  Play alone."
"Imagine punching somebody so hard that they turned into a door. Then you found out that's where ALL doors come from, and you got initiated into a murder club that makes doors. The stronger you punch, the better the door. So there are like super strong murderers who punch people into Venetian doors and shit"

Catloaf

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: May 01, 2009, 11:56:32 PM »

Re:my first evening playing survival mode
I really got sick of being the last one alive, killing a smoker, only to get caught by another smoker right behind the fucker, then jumped by a hunter.  Happened 5 fucking times, once there were 2 fucking tanks there too!

And I now hate HATE HATE last stand!  I want to fucking play blood harvest! but Noooo~ Not one fucker would join me, and if I managed to find a server playing something else; they'd switch to it after at most 2 short rounds.

And you guys wouldn't let me play with you. :sadpanda:

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: May 02, 2009, 12:09:57 AM »

Versus Mode

Play alone."

I'm going to assume these posts were not meant to be sequential.

Despite that, I am playing on solo, just to see the maps.  I figured if I picked Easy I could pretty much run through it and occasionally shoot a zombie.  And for the most part I was right.  Untiiiiiiiiiil...

:humpf: Hello, I am yet another Tank.
QUICK, EVERYBODY JUMP INTO THE PATH OF THE FLYING CAR.
:painful: I... okay.  Well it's still easy mode, I can probably solo a tank without even taking a...
:evil: Hey, yeah, I forgot to give you any warning signals that there was a hunter around too.  Except for the fact that he just pinned you.
:painful: ...huh.
:gameover:

I'm not going to stop playing over shit like that (I mean I AM dicking around in Solo) but it's certainly not helping the cause of endearment.

Bal

• Cheerful in the face of nuclear armageddon
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: May 02, 2009, 12:38:18 AM »

Campaign:

Normal mode is a tutorial, Advanced is the median, and Expert is the actual zombie apocalypse.

Versus:

Good team means fun, bad team means boring. So a Valve vs action game.

Survival:

This is the "Oh fuck" moments from the game, for ten solid minutes you hope. Normally it is less time than that.

In my experience this game is better the more challenging it is.

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #330 on: May 02, 2009, 05:54:30 AM »

Yeah, going to have to agree with you guys that Advanced is pretty much Normal difficulty.  Weird curve.

Playing it FO REALS had its moments, but it still feels a lot more like a Source mod than a game on its own.  Something you fuck with until the novelty wears off.  It's almost damn certain that they'll end up stuffing it in with Episode 3 and the Portal prequel later anyway so I'll be happy when that happens.

EDIT: And I just now figured out why Versus mode bothered me so much... it punishes you for playing well.  Because let's all be honest, the real fun of Versus mode is playing the zombies, and the better team will naturally spend much more time as the Survivors (they'll hold out longer as Survivor and end rounds where they're not much more quickly.)  I think in a 2 hour game I spent maybe 5 minutes tops as a Lickitung.

EDIT EDIT: And then there's the flipside to when you DO get to play as monstars for any appreciable period which is YOU ARE LOSING.

Arc

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: May 02, 2009, 08:36:23 AM »

During my solitary Versus match, the initial survivors didn't even move off the roof.

Two minutes as Hunter, 18 minutes as The Man With The Machine Gun.

James Edward Smith

• CIS male, Albeist Scumbag
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: May 02, 2009, 10:08:17 AM »

I don't really like L4D very much. It's a sort of slick package for what it is, but to be honest, a more polished version of Sven Coop would have been a much better game.

Other than his incessant Chrono Trigger hate*, I have to agree with Brentai. The game doesn't strike me as anything better than a free mod. Yes it has way more polish than one of those would have, but in terms of the actual lasting value of the gameplay and overall concept of the game itself, the game is really gutless. I mean, it's basically about as deep as The Hidden with 2 more modes.

If the campaign mode had some sort of actual progression to it or if the overall game itself just had ANY additional game play mechanics to it other than shoot everything all of the time, I would feel a lot better about my purchase of the game. But as it stands, if I could ask for my money back, I would. The teamwork aspect of the game is cool and very well thought out but it doesn't magically make it an engaging game, it just makes it a game that isn't very good and is even less good if you aren't playing with people that you know over ventrilo.

L4D LOOKS really great in terms of its lighting and character animations but it really needed to have more gameplay aspects to it like more clever foraging for supplies aspects or barricading of buildings and construction of barriers, just something to spice it up. Bill, Zoey, Louis, Frankie, Hoodie, Smokey, Fatty, Hulky, Bitchy, I love you all, but your game gets very repetitive very quickly and it's just not worth 40+ bucks, I'm sorry.

*Brent, would you stop going on about how 10+ years after the fact, you played the apex of 16-bit era JRPGs, a genre that anyone with half a brain now realizes was way shittier than we realized at the time, and acting like because you're unimpressed by it you're too cool for school or something? Yeah, guess what, Street Fighter 2 doesn't impress me one bit either because I didn't play it when it was new and original. OOoooooh! :hurr:
Talk? Talk is for lovers, Merlin. I need a sword to be king.

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: May 02, 2009, 03:57:55 PM »

*Brent, would you stop going on about how 10+ years after the fact, you played the apex of 16-bit era JRPGs, a genre that anyone with half a brain now realizes was way shittier than we realized at the time, and acting like because you're unimpressed by it you're too cool for school or something? Yeah, guess what, Street Fighter 2 doesn't impress me one bit either because I didn't play it when it was new and original. OOoooooh! :hurr:

...uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.  That's a good point, man, except for the little fact that it's not at all what happened.  I got Chrono Trigger for Christmas that year, after hunting up and fucking down for it in every game store and Blockbuster in Las Vegas, because all my friends (yes, on both sides) wouldn't shut up about it.  Then I played it, found it too fucking easy and boring and didn't like any of the characters but Lucca, and made the mistake of saying so.  Then I caught a bunch of stupid crap for it for years am still catching a bunch of stupid crap for it, apparently.

I only bring it up all the time because it's a game that's unilaterally loved by everyone but me, often to the point of angry misinformed rants about it.

But as it stands, if I could ask for my money back, I would.

Now there's an argument for brick-and-morter game trading that nobody's brought up.  If I had had any common sense at the time I'd've taken the copy of Force Unleashed Wii I got for Christmas this year* to the nearest Best Buy or something and said "This game has gambooya, let me trade it."  If they had just bought me a Steam license, I'd be plain fucked.

* Santa, you are just the cause of all my gaming problems.  Including my gaming problem.

Arc

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: May 02, 2009, 04:14:53 PM »

Then I played it, found it too fucking easy and boring and didn't like any of the characters but Lucca, and made the mistake of saying so. 

I will see you ruined, sir. Ruined.

Now spend some of those pyos already so that I may have something to ruin.

Saturn

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: May 02, 2009, 04:18:53 PM »

I kinda hope the SDK release will help the modding community fix some of the problems (of course things like NO ONE USES ANYTHING BUT THE SHOTGUNS, VERSUS PLAGUED BY RAGEQUITTERS and of course PLAYING AS INFECTED IS LIKE HITTING YOUR DICK WITH A HAMMER)would probably have to be fixed by valve

Bal

• Cheerful in the face of nuclear armageddon
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: May 02, 2009, 04:24:59 PM »

I'm actually really happy with where the special infected are right now. They've buffed them quite a bit since release.

Saturn

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: May 02, 2009, 04:30:26 PM »

it just feels so Sisyphean to me, you jump/tongue them, you do about 4 damage, you get grazed by a shotgun pellet and die, AND THEN THEY FIND MORE MEDPACKS.

I miss expert versus.

Expert versus was a blast just because it was so rare for survivors to actually make it, causing the game to be TRY TO GET 6 MORE FEET THAN THE OTHER GUYS.

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: May 02, 2009, 04:32:27 PM »

That is something I noticed, yeah.  No matter how much you fucked up those guys it seemed like they'd always be green again 30 seconds later.

Kazz

• Projekt Direktor
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: May 02, 2009, 07:13:26 PM »

I love just about everything about L4D, but after playing like 100 hours of it when it first came out, I didn't see much reason to go back until the new stuff came out.  Now that Versus has been fixed up a bit and had more released for it and that Survival mode is out, I'm back to playing it all the time again.

I can understand why someone wouldn't like it, though.  But I have never, ever played a game below Advanced difficulty, so I don't even know what Normal plays like.  The game has to be dangerous to be exciting.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 ... 38