Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Trick or Treat!  (Read 4062 times)

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Trick or Treat!
« Reply #40 on: November 04, 2008, 04:05:18 PM »

It can sometimes be called for.  Like when deciding who can have converted automatics.

Probably not called for in any situation Lyrai's been in, though.

• Magic Gunner Miss Blue
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 04, 2008, 04:22:53 PM »

I have no problem being told "I'm sorry, I don't want to sell you a gun because you're mentally unstable"

I have a huge problem being told "I'm sorry, I don't want you to sit there because you're mentally unstable"

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 04, 2008, 04:28:10 PM »

But, but... YOU NEED A LICENSE TO OPERATE THAT SLURPEE MACHINE!  :ohshi~:

SCD

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 04, 2008, 04:52:39 PM »

Quote from: Bongo Bill
Mandatory military service and you get a firearm license at the end of it?

No. If the only people who have guns are the military, we become China. Most people who serve in the military take the military with them when they leave - hey would be the loyalists to our revolutionaries, so to speak. When the cards have been dealt and all the chips are down, we have to be able to make a stand, and picket signs and marches only go so far. America came pretty close to a police state during the last 8 years, and I really don't think it's a stretch to say that we will definately go down that road again.

I believe you misunderstood that.  He is referring to compulsory military service.  Also, I can tell you from personal experience that the attitude of Volunteers and underpaid conscripts is much different.

Shinra

• Big Juicy Winners
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 04, 2008, 04:59:09 PM »

Quote from: Bongo Bill
Mandatory military service and you get a firearm license at the end of it?

No. If the only people who have guns are the military, we become China. Most people who serve in the military take the military with them when they leave - hey would be the loyalists to our revolutionaries, so to speak. When the cards have been dealt and all the chips are down, we have to be able to make a stand, and picket signs and marches only go so far. America came pretty close to a police state during the last 8 years, and I really don't think it's a stretch to say that we will definately go down that road again.

I believe you misunderstood that.  He is referring to compulsory military service.  Also, I can tell you from personal experience that the attitude of Volunteers and underpaid conscripts is much different.

No, I understood it just fine. I'm saying, no, because it's a fucking bad idea, and if I wanted to live in China, I'd move to China.

• Magic Gunner Miss Blue
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 05, 2008, 09:06:21 PM »

Quote from: Thad
People with mental disabilities are frequently discriminated against.
This is something I want to come back to later, but need some time to think on to make sure it's coherent. I will say that as late as last year, I experienced discrimination soley on the basis that I had a mental problem.

As early as...elementary school, I remember being 'different'. I saw things differently. I processed things differently. To borrow video games, "I do what I want. You have problem?!" People viewed me as...sort of an anomaly. Parents would make sure their kids wouldn't get too close to me - I was 'dangerous.'

In middle school, teachers viewed me with a mix of pity and disdain. I had learned (through trial and error) to 'act' normal. I still didn't -get- what I was at this time. All I knew was that once a week I'd talk to this guy that they called a "psy-ko-iatrist" and I'd take pills and that.

In High School, I slowly became cognizant of both what was going on with me, and just how much around me everyone hated it. School tried to have me arrested, and resisted every single step of the way to try and help me - if you're mentally disabled, school districts are required by law to provide services for you. They refused to do this to the very end, when we sic'd the board on them and threatened to eliminate all of their funding if they did not cut this shit out right now.

To the very end, the teenagers in high school picked up on the drama swirling around me, no matter how hard we tried to hide it, and thus I got picked on for being 'different.' Remind me sometime to tell the 'Frog Prince' story. It's a wonderful story of an elitist bitch trying her damndest to keep me away from her clique and in the end...failing.

Society on the whole, I've found, still thinks of mental disabilties that way. We're special. We're feared. They think we'll snap at any time. 99% of everyone thinks we're all like the Columbine shooter, or any of the other crazy people with guns. That at any moment, we're going to go crazy and kill people.

I make no attempt to hide that I've been in a mental hospital - I'm proof it works. I needed it. I also have no problem with short bus jokes or anything like that. I laugh at them, and will amusingly point out "You know, padded rooms are awesome", because I was in one, twice. At Verizon, I pointed this out to a group of people chewing the fat. Most of them were genuinely interested. Later that week, the boss approached me, and said that a few of the people there were scared of me, and had asked to sit away from me because of that.

Whenever they report a criminal who does some heinous act, they always love to throw the buzzword "unstable" around. It's still in people's minds. If you have mental problems, you're a danger. You're a freak. People don't want to look at you, or say how they don't want their children near them. I've seen it, and heard it, been 10ft away from a large group of 30+ year olds saying that they'd beat one of them with a bat if they ever got anywhere near their children or them.

Is it any wonder I may have clinical depression?

• Magic Gunner Miss Blue
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 05, 2008, 09:26:06 PM »

Deleted said post so you can edit it for lulz, Dgorgon, and put the content here:
Also, uh, I think there may be a mental problem thread...somewhere on these boards. Feel free to splitmerge these posts into it if you find it. I have no idea where it is.

Yes, I take this seriously. But I think if we refuse to joke about things, we get too into it.

Lewis Black had a comedy skit where he said that the true casualty of the Iraq conflict was that we lost our sense of humor. I fully endorse this thought.

Alex

• the Slug
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 06, 2008, 12:19:08 AM »

Normal people in society think anyone different is bad.

My school district were like this too.  I'm almost tempted to think that students were paid to hassle me until I defended myself.  Bad enough I was given an anti-depression prescription that basically made me drowsy all the time so I was typically napping in class.

While not related to my depression, my mom taught me one thing to say when I was picked on about my weight at least.

'At least lipo's cheaper than plastic surgery, champ.'  :perfect:

SCD

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 06, 2008, 12:35:18 PM »

Shinra:  While it is not my intent to chance your position on the matter, it brings insult to every parlementary democracy in the world which still has a manditory two-year service period that you group them with China. 

But here's the real thought:  The parent - did she allow her kids to knock on a door that didn't have a jack-o-lantern lit?

There is an unwritten rule here that you trick or treat only if there is a burning pumpkin head by the doorstep or on the walkway, otherwise going there would be a baaad idea.

Does this apply down south of the border, and if so, why was the parent not on this like a fat kid on a smartie?

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 06, 2008, 12:54:31 PM »

Well, not jack-o-lantern per se, but you generally ought not to knock on doors without a porchlight on.  It's not such a universal rule that you can expect to get your head blown off if you don't follow it, though.

Alex

• the Slug
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 06, 2008, 09:07:54 PM »

Well, not jack-o-lantern per se, but you generally ought not to knock on doors without a porchlight on.  It's not such a universal rule that you can expect to get your head blown off if you don't follow it, though.

That was the unwritten rule I was taught.  No light = No candy.  That's why my porchlight is off every year but living in an apartment for a few years helped.
Pages: 1 2 [3]