Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35

Author Topic: LGBT  (Read 56883 times)

falselogic

• Tested
    • View Profile
Re: LGBT
« Reply #580 on: July 25, 2012, 01:28:33 PM »

...yeah dude, that's what we've been talking about this entire page.

...dammit.  You're SoraCross, aren't you.

Whoops, sorry I didn't scroll down far enough...

Smiler

• HOM NOM NOM NOM
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: July 25, 2012, 01:33:38 PM »

Soracross would not have gone this long without posting something about a shitty game he made or awful LP videos.

Also what Lyrai said.

Caithness

• Hat Man
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: July 25, 2012, 01:42:17 PM »

I thought the entire page's discussion was about Boston, not Chicago.

falselogic

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: July 25, 2012, 01:56:29 PM »

Menino is a ding-dong (he's the one who freaked the fuck out over the Aqua Teen Lite-Brite campaign).  Popehat had a pretty good takedown, which is basically along these lines: unless you have evidence that Chick-Fil-A is engaging in discriminatory hiring practices, you can't just tell them they can't operate in your city because you disagree with them politically.

The city doesn't have to put "politics" for the reason a permit or license is denied, even when that is the case. There are thousands of ways cities and counties control what is built within them.

I suppose that is obvious...

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #584 on: July 25, 2012, 02:09:46 PM »

He edited his post.  So now we have two different cities.  Which is cool; we've got something new now.  ...'cept that the link's broken.  I'll fix it.

The city doesn't have to put "politics" for the reason a permit or license is denied, even when that is the case. There are thousands of ways cities and counties control what is built within them.

Yeeeeeah but if you say outright it's because they're anti-gay -- which is exactly what Menino and Moreno have done -- then you're opening yourself up to a First Amendment suit.

falselogic

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #585 on: July 25, 2012, 02:16:48 PM »

He edited his post.  So now we have two different cities.  Which is cool; we've got something new now.  ...'cept that the link's broken.  I'll fix it.

Yeeeeeah but if you say outright it's because they're anti-gay -- which is exactly what Menino and Moreno have done -- then you're opening yourself up to a First Amendment suit.

The Boston one is iffier because its on official stationary. The Chicago alderman can always say he was expressing himself as a private citizen and will act as the people in his district want when/if it came time to voting on anything before him as an alderman.

I don't know the municipal organization of Boston, but the Mayor is likely safe because any permits and such would go through numerous committees before reaching the city council any one of which could kill the thing before it ever got to him, plenty of cover there...

In general, it's not a good idea to try to bring your company into an area where you're not wanted. You can do it, it took Target 20 years to build a big box in our town, but you burn whatever goodwill you might have had both with the people of the city and those who manage it.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #586 on: July 26, 2012, 07:46:28 AM »

Fortunately, Chick-Fil-A has Pretty Redhead Teenager Isolated on White Smiling Stock Photo 3117967 to defend its reputation on Facebook.

Royal☭

• Supreme Court Judge President
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: July 26, 2012, 10:13:17 AM »

I do find it pretty suspect that the guy found the stock model and image within 4 minutes.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #588 on: July 26, 2012, 10:25:16 AM »

Nice catch.

Wonder how high the pic was on a Google search for stock photo redhead teenager yesterday; as of today all the results for that search point to this story.

There are a few other things that could explain it -- reverse image search, or maybe someone else had already called "her" out in a different comments thread (since I imagine a sock puppet would not just be responding to one post), or it could be that the avatar (or other pics on the profile) had identifying information somewhere on it (watermark, filename, metadata, whatever).

But it's also entirely possible that the whole thing was a setup, and not Chick-Fil-A's.  That's a fair point.

Miss Cat Ears

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: July 27, 2012, 12:10:46 PM »

Shinra

• Big Juicy Winners
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: July 27, 2012, 12:17:49 PM »

That's uh

That is

Hm.

:humpf:

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #591 on: July 27, 2012, 12:46:47 PM »

As the article notes, there's some suggestion that it was a heart attack, though that's not 100% clear yet.

I imagine he's been under a bit of stress over the past couple of weeks, but it'd be crude to blame his death on the controversy (or on Chick-Fil-A's food).  So let's be nice; we disagree with Chick-Fil-A as an organization, but let's not celebrate anybody's death please.

Shinra

• Big Juicy Winners
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: July 27, 2012, 01:30:00 PM »

in this case I wouldn't dream of it. Just a dude with a job. It's sad but the timing is pretty fucked up. I imagine he was under a lot of stress.

Miss Cat Ears

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: July 27, 2012, 02:29:40 PM »

I wasn't celebrating it... I just thought it was relevant.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: July 27, 2012, 02:47:51 PM »

It is. Albeit not intentionally so. 

That guy must've been under god-knows-what-kind of duress these last two weeks.

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: July 27, 2012, 07:23:02 PM »

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: July 27, 2012, 08:23:46 PM »

One year of legal marriage equality in New York: A story in pictures

It's always the little old lady couples that get me. The two old "tough guys" are pretty D'AWWWW too. :kowhyee:

Royal☭

• Supreme Court Judge President
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: July 27, 2012, 09:55:30 PM »

What gets to me is just how happy everyone looks. That is how everyone should feel 100% of the time.

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile

Shinra

• Big Juicy Winners
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: August 26, 2012, 05:46:25 PM »

It was linked on the top stories of CNN.com off their front page for 2 days after it happened. It also got mentioned on plenty of other news sites and I saw at least a couple of videos of news stations reporting on it hit the front page of /r/videos on Reddit, so obviously it was on TV too. That's pretty broad for a random shooting in a small town. They never found the shooter, so it was never conclusively linked to being a hate crime. I think this is somebody reaching to find an example of systemic intolerance where it isn't actually happening.

edit: changed wording to clarify my point

Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35