Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 35

Author Topic: LGBT  (Read 56898 times)

Kashan

• Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Prop 8
« Reply #60 on: November 06, 2008, 04:10:31 PM »

Could you point me to the 300 a month 4 bedroom house? I mean Oklahoma is cheap but I've not seen anything close to that.

Guild

• High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 06, 2008, 04:12:55 PM »

This was five+ years ago and I took a bus...

I was in a (shallow, too physical) relationship with a girl there while stationed in San Diego in the Navy and went there once for three weeks on leave. I don't even know the name of the town.

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #62 on: November 06, 2008, 04:21:27 PM »

I'd like to see those studies :3

You know, a quick Google doesn't turn up any evidence to support that, and I can't remember where I read it, so I'm going to back down from that claim.

However, a quick Google DOES find numerous studies that suggest same-sex parents are no different from heterosexual parents, and WebMD cites studies suggesting that two gay parents are better than one straight parent.

It's less that 'they really really want to be parents' and more 'they're scrutinized much, much, much more'. When your primary means of getting a child is through adoption, you're a lot less likely to get a kid as a complete waste of humanity. My brother makes 40k/yr through the military and has a wife who was willing to be a full time mom and they weren't able to adopt. If a gay couple isn't beating that by a lot, they're never going to get a kid in the first place.

That's a fair point too.  Maybe I should be looking at studies of adopted versus natural parents.

Anecdotally, my grandparents have neighbors who are a lesbian couple; each one has a natural daughter (I assume via artificial insemination but I haven't asked) and they're currently working to finalize the adoption of three more kids.  It's been a very difficult process for them, but they've really worked hard and have done a great job and by all accounts the adoption agency has scored them very high and really gone to bat to help them get approval.

So again, that's anecdotal and I can't exactly say they're representative, but I'm willing to bet that, at least in as gay-unfriendly a state as Arizona, their story's a common one and you really have to kick a lot of ass to get to adopt.  (They also say it's gotten a lot easier since Napolitano took office.)

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 06, 2008, 05:11:44 PM »

The problem with qualifying gay parenthood is that it's very subjective what makes a better parent.  I mean about 55% of the state here would probably give gay parents bad marks for not teaching their children that being gay is awful.

Pacobird

• Just fell off the AOL cart
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 06, 2008, 08:50:37 PM »

I think if we replaced "gay" with "black" in this thread, we would be getting much closer to understanding the real problem here.

Guild

• High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 06, 2008, 08:51:39 PM »

gj paco way to fix the thread

• Magic Gunner Miss Blue
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 06, 2008, 08:58:53 PM »

I think if we replaced "gay" with "black" in this thread, we would be getting much closer to understanding the real problem here.

Can Gays still drink out of the same water fountains as straight people?

Fredward

• a romantic soul
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 06, 2008, 09:10:28 PM »

But that's silly! Blacks have always been allowed to marry blacks! :slow:
Quote from: Brentai
It's never easy to tell just where the line is between physical malady and the general crushing horror of life itself.

Pacobird

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 06, 2008, 09:59:37 PM »

Point is that the whole question of whether homosexuals make good parents or not is irrelevant to whether or not they should be allowed to adopt.

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 06, 2008, 10:12:37 PM »

Well, that's the thing.  Adopting in general is a fucking hellish process.  Most of the heavy stuff I had to do during my stint as a notary was that sort of bullshit.  It pisses me off and I really want to get a dialog going about it, because I've mentioned a few times that the adoption system in this country is horribly, horribly strained, mainly because the requirements for adoption are far stricter than... well, anything.  You're sooner likely to join the Secret Service than adopt a needy child.  'course nobody gives a shit about that 'til they find out their own eggs ain't hatching, but they'll talk a good line about the importance of adopting.  Mumble grumble grumble.

Pacobird

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 06, 2008, 10:17:39 PM »

I have absolutely no problem with how strict the adoption process is.  The problem is "dudes who like dick" is apparently a strike.

JDigital

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 06, 2008, 10:23:54 PM »

Point is that the whole question of whether homosexuals make good parents or not is irrelevant to whether or not they should be allowed to adopt.

Isn't that the entire benchmark on adoption?

Fredward

• a romantic soul
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 06, 2008, 10:25:36 PM »

Yeah, I was going to say, a better wording would have been "Whether or not prospective parents are homosexual is irrelevant to whether or not they should adopt." But I could think of no way of saying that that would not make me look like a  :thad:.
Quote from: Brentai
It's never easy to tell just where the line is between physical malady and the general crushing horror of life itself.

Romosome

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 07, 2008, 04:48:01 AM »

been doing that since the Yes on 8 ads started.

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #74 on: November 11, 2008, 11:28:35 PM »

Dan Savage notes a lesser-known but even more potentially dangerous law that's just passed, one in Arkansas that prevents unmarried couples from adopting.

That would need some tweaking to pass here, but I think it could: the reason Arizona failed to ban gay marriage in '04 was that that bill was so broadly-written that it could be interpreted as applying to unmarried straight couples too.  If, however, it simply said "gay people can't adopt", that would have more of a shot of passing.

Royal☭

• Supreme Court Judge President
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: November 12, 2008, 07:43:04 AM »

This thing has me wondering: How can the Mormon church still possess its tax exempt status?  And how are they not in any trouble for financing a political proposition in California from Utah?

TA

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 12, 2008, 09:58:45 AM »

Because the multiple lawsuits alleging exactly that are only getting started.
Do you understand how terrifying the words “vibrating strap on” are for an asexual? That’s like saying “the holocaust” to a Jew.

Defenestration

• The Sixth Window
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 12, 2008, 10:04:56 AM »

I came across this last night.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVUecPhQPqY

Very moving.
Una salus victis nullam sperare salutem

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 12, 2008, 10:13:46 AM »

The entire response to this is going to be "Okay let's find out which of Keith Olbermann's relatives is gay."

Arc

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 12, 2008, 10:31:59 AM »

"Okay let's find out if Keith Olbermann's relatives is gay."

:suave: Single. No children. Never married. Turns 50 in January.

Time to find out, and take one for the team. By which I mean myself, and that $7.5 million a year just waiting to be grifted.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 35