Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 ... 37

Author Topic: Unforgivable Sins of Game Design  (Read 67517 times)

Joxam

• The Transformizzle
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Shadowrun
Re: Unforgivable Sins of Game Design
« Reply #520 on: August 10, 2011, 05:18:22 PM »

Playstation has always had the best controller for my buck.

Bal

• Cheerful in the face of nuclear armageddon
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: August 10, 2011, 05:45:11 PM »

The DualShock shape is a bit too small for my hands these days, but the 360 pad, which is functionally identical at this point, fits a bit better. The only really bad thing about the 360 pad is the d-pad, but that's pretty bad on the dualshock form factor too.

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: August 10, 2011, 05:57:41 PM »

I really like Logitech's gamepaD'OOOOOOOOOOH

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #523 on: August 10, 2011, 08:17:58 PM »

...you can't possibly be arguing that users should expect only Microsoft hardware to work correctly with Windows.

The hilarious part is just how many times he'll try to run after that ball.

You misunderstand.  I'm using "expect" to mean "consider reasonable or due", not to mean "consider likely".

As in, "I expect you to be home by 9 o'clock, young man!"

I've gotten my PS3 controller to work via a third-party driver, but PS3-compatible controllers (namely, the FightStick) seem to work out of the box.

Only if your USB controller has a VIA chipset.

Playstation has always had the best controller for my buck.

Logitech's controllers are more or less identical to the Dual Shock shape.  That's why I got my CRP2, why I like it, and why I continue to use it, with hacks if I have to.

(I've also got Wii Remotes set up through WiiMouse that I use for two-button console games, a Hori Fighting Stick attachment for it for arcade games, and a Mad Catz SF4 pad for Genesis games or for a second player on arcade games.  You can begin to see why I don't want to buy any more damn controllers -- and that's before I even get into the WaveBirds and the PS2, NES, Dreamcast, and Genesis I still have hooked up.  And the SNES and N64 I've got in boxes.)

Envy

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: August 11, 2011, 02:46:44 AM »

The DualShock shape is a bit too small for my hands these days, but the 360 pad, which is functionally identical at this point, fits a bit better. The only really bad thing about the 360 pad is the d-pad, but that's pretty bad on the dualshock form factor too.
There is a new 360 pad that has a pretty slick new Dpad that you can change from + to Disc if you really want it to go back. The only problem is the price which put's it around 65.

Edit: It's got a play and charge kit with it too.

Bongo Bill

• Dinosaurcerer
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #525 on: August 11, 2011, 05:05:27 AM »

I like the Wii classic controller pro. Got a USB adapter for it and everything.

Gamepad support on PC games is pretty spotty all around; the things are second-class citizens. The existence of a common controller which some games support perfectly and which I already owned anyway is something of a relief, even if it is bad for the ecosystem as a whole due to fragmentation and compatibility issues.
...but is it art?

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #526 on: August 11, 2011, 07:12:30 AM »

Hm, interesting on the Wii CCP/USB.  I've got one and used it briefly when I was working on keyboard emulation, but that was just via connecting to the Wii Remote and pairing that via Bluetooth.

Haven't tried it with Wiimouse (my current go-to program for Wii PC gamepaddin') but I know the program Wiimouse is based on crashes when you plug a Pro into it because the ID string is one digit off from the OG Classic Controller.  It's a trivial fix but Wiimouse is closed-source, so if it has the same problem I'm at the mercy of its dev.

Saturn

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: August 11, 2011, 08:21:36 AM »

There is a new 360 pad that has a pretty slick new Dpad that you can change from + to Disc if you really want it to go back. The only problem is the price which put's it around 65.

Edit: It's got a play and charge kit with it too.

Except that because you can't use the charge cable to connect it to a pc (it will only charge off that cable) you'll need the wireless controller adaptor

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: August 11, 2011, 08:25:28 AM »

ITT unforgiveable sins of controller design

Niku

• MEAT
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: August 11, 2011, 12:28:18 PM »

Gamepad support on PC games is pretty spotty all around; the things are second-class citizens. The existence of a common controller which some games support perfectly and which I already owned anyway is something of a relief, even if it is bad for the ecosystem as a whole due to fragmentation and compatibility issues.

My workaround has always just been keeping a copy of Joy2Key on my computer, personally.
i'm a blog now, blogs are cool: a fantastic machine made of meat

Bongo Bill

• Dinosaurcerer
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: August 11, 2011, 12:40:42 PM »

Joy2key doesn't play too nicely with axes, but it's a lifesaver otherwise.
...but is it art?

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #531 on: August 11, 2011, 12:59:08 PM »

Doesn't work with analog controls either.

Friday

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: August 15, 2011, 04:09:58 AM »

ok this could also go in some WoW thread but really it applies to any fucking CTF game ever made so

fuck you warsong gulch. I realize that by saying this I am going to summon up the people here who love wsg and have fond memories of trolling the alliance by taking the flag and hiding with it in vanilla for seven hours as people came and went and sometimes the same people came back the next day and they're like FUCKING SHIT HAS NOBODY FOUND HIM YET because you are like hidden deep within the sawmill or up on that one stump and those were good times yes fine ok.

why.

can't.

you.

cap.

while.

your.

flag.

is.

away.

Seriously. Even 2fort, the single worst level designed in the history of level design, and I don't just mean fps, there is no worse level than 2fort possible, they even asked Satan and he was like "yeah man I dunno, I just copypasted 2fort all over hell and it seems to torture people who don't even know what videogames are" allows you to fucking cap even if the enemy team has your case.

Warsong and its retarded twin brother Twin Peaks do not.

You know what's not fun? Sitting around holding a flag with seven of your team mates who refuse to go on offense so your loss is inevitable and assured and I have already /afked out because eating the 15 minute debuff of no requeues is better than watching you goddamn faggots fuck yourselves for the next twenty minutes

Yes adding a 25 minute hardcap time limit and damage stacking on the flag carriers was a good idea. They are better than EL OH EL ENDLESS VANILLA WARSONGS, which at least could be used for trolling purposes. But WHY DON'T YOU JUST LET US CAP EVEN IF WE DON'T HAVE OUR FLAG

UP THE NUMBER OF CAPS TO WIN TO 5 OR SOMETHING AND MAKE ALL EFCS IMMEDIATELY VISIBLE ON THE MAP

also wsg is shitty because it is the bg that most rewards gear over skill and strat but that is more an issue of team size

Beat Bandit

• be entranced by my sexy rhythm
  • High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: August 15, 2011, 06:21:37 AM »

As much as I agree that Twin Peaks is one of the worst thing to happen to BGs ever (second only to your teammates) not being able to cap without your flag isn't the reason. If you could, it would quite literally become which team has the most hunters / priests instead of just seeming like it.

Bal

• Cheerful in the face of nuclear armageddon
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: August 15, 2011, 09:57:16 AM »

I reached Rank 11 (of 14) in the old, pre-TBC honor system. This was a time when the only battlegrounds were Alterac Valley, Warsong Gulch, and Arathi Basin (still the best by far in terms of gameplay and balance). I understand your woes, Friday, having done literally hundreds of WSGs in my day. Just as an aside, flag carriers have had the damage debuff and have appeared on the map after a short time since vanilla. I'll give you the reason why you can't capture while your flag is away, with my literal man months of experience on the map. Druids and, to a slightly lesser extent, Shamans. If you could capture while the flag was away it would just become a race between all the druids, with other players trying to run interference for them. One crafty druid could win the game in a matter of a few minutes of unchecked, which I've seen happen many times.

I am not saying this is a good thing. I haven't PVP'd "seriously" since that time, and I consider competitive PVP in the context of WoW to be an oxymoron, but that's still why.

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: August 15, 2011, 01:13:14 PM »

Yeah it's not like 2fort where a rushing Scout is going to inevitably run into Turret Hell.  It would be if they had thought of that in 2005, but WSG's mechanics are pretty set in stone now.

patito

• kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: August 15, 2011, 02:11:42 PM »

zombies

DestyNova

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: August 15, 2011, 05:23:55 PM »

2Fort really needs an update so that the sewers don't flow into the chokepoint near the main entrance. Shift the tunnel so it opens into the ramp room so a team can't lock everything down with SGs.

NexAdruin

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: August 15, 2011, 09:36:09 PM »

No, because then it wouldn't be 2Fort. This is not supposed to be a balanced Team Fortress 2 map; it is a remake of a map from Team Fortress Classic, which was an entirely different game.

TA

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: August 15, 2011, 09:38:13 PM »

"Yeah, it's shitty and not fun, but it's shitty and not fun on purpose because nostalgia" is a stellar example of the topic of this thread.
Do you understand how terrifying the words “vibrating strap on” are for an asexual? That’s like saying “the holocaust” to a Jew.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 ... 37