Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 37

Author Topic: Unforgivable Sins of Game Design  (Read 67509 times)

Shinra

• Big Juicy Winners
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Unforgivable Sins of Game Design
« Reply #640 on: March 07, 2013, 01:18:10 PM »

So I decided to go back and play Dawn of War: Soulstorm, since it was the one DOW game I never got around to playing.

Tip for game designers, amateur and professional out there: When you're making a game with a hero character, maybe don't have them play the same soundfile on loop every 15 seconds with no way to shut it off whatsoever short of turning off game sounds altogether. Holy. Fucking. Shit. Why?????

Smiler

• HOM NOM NOM NOM
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: March 10, 2013, 11:14:45 AM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_games_notable_for_negative_reception

SimCity (2013) (PC)

Your server is experiencing very high volume. Could not log in to SimCity due to a network error.

:3c

Disposable Ninja

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: August 30, 2013, 09:10:06 AM »

All console games must have one, and ONLY one, button designated to the menu. If it's an action-oriented game, that button is the start button. If it's a more laid-back game, like some manner of turn-based strategy or RPG game, that button should be the top-most face button.

And from this menu, you should be able to arbitrate everything that happens in-game. No god-damned second menu that is also your cell phone, no god damned scroll wheels assigned to the left and right shoulder buttons. If you MUST have scroll wheels, at least have the decency to at least make them quick selects, and NOT the only god damned way to access your inventory or abilities.

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: August 30, 2013, 05:12:46 PM »

I kept hitting escape to get out of the game menu in Saints Row IV and ending up in the system menu.

Sharkey

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #645 on: September 03, 2013, 12:43:04 PM »

Make your UI scalable.

Failing that, at least make the font size adjustable.

Failing that, don't use a font made for goddamn sugar ants.

These are really starting to get to me ever since I started PC gaming on my living room TV. Sometimes I can see it being justified... almost. If there's an absolute shitstorm of information that needs to be displayed simultaneously, maybe? Even then, that's not great.

The one that most recently set me off was Reus, which is a great little god/puzzle game that has absolutely no excuse to be using an unalterable microscopic font for everything. In fact, it's a pretty small even on my desktop. It's just one of those tiny oversights that absolutely kills an entire game for me. It's a goddamn shame.

Classic

• Happens more often than you'd think.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: September 03, 2013, 07:41:54 PM »

Those might be using a system feature that has settings you can fiddle with elsewhere? Dick about with default text displays.

Sharkey

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: September 04, 2013, 05:26:07 AM »

Er, no, I've already done that (in fact, that was nearly the first thing I did when I started using this TV.) Some games just have this kind of thing buried in their own guts and unless they're popular enough that someone has bothered to make a mod then there's just nothing for it.

Classic

• Happens more often than you'd think.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: September 04, 2013, 05:49:15 AM »

It took me weeks to figure out that was the problem when I was playing some Spiderweb games on a hand-me-down machine. Guess I'm just bad at windows.

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: September 04, 2013, 10:58:58 AM »

Quote from: http://www.polygon.com/2013/9/4/4693704/metal-gear-solid-5-characters-more-erotic-encourage-cosplay-hideo-kojima
Some of Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain's characters are being redesigned to make them "more erotic" in an effort to encourage cosplay, said game director Hideo Kojima in a series of tweets today.

"I've been ordering to Yoji [Shinkawa, the game's art director] to make the character more erotic, and he did it well," said Kojima on his English Twitter account. "Recently I've been making characters this way. I create the setting thoroughly, how he/she spent early life, name, style, favorite phrase, fashion, action, to stand the character out."

He continued, "The initial target is to make [you] want to do cosplay or its figurine to sell well."

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #650 on: September 04, 2013, 11:02:20 AM »

I, uh, er?

JAPAN!

MarsDragon

• NO FUCKS LEFT TO GIVE
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: September 04, 2013, 11:05:19 AM »

As long as he does it for dudes and chicks equally I don't really have a problem with it? Kojima going to Kojima.

Smiler

• HOM NOM NOM NOM
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: September 04, 2013, 11:19:07 AM »

He wants all of the bishies to dress like One-Armed Miller

Sharkey

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: September 04, 2013, 11:22:27 AM »

Well, as long as they're not based on some chick he totally banged at E3 this one time, right?

As long as he does it for dudes and chicks equally I don't really have a problem with it?

Haha.

No, I'm pretty sure we can just skip straight to the part where we drop him off a building. Unless we want to do the "male videogame characters are sexualized too!" dance all over again. Pretty please? It was so much fun the last fifty or sixty times.

"I live on through this wanking arm!"

MarsDragon

• NO FUCKS LEFT TO GIVE
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: September 04, 2013, 01:26:31 PM »

I dunno. I think Metal Gear is usually pretty good at hot guys. It's perfectly possible to sexualize men too. It's just that most media play it for comedy instead of serious, so everyone thinks men can't be sexualized. If he's serious, I'm willing to give him a shot. Even if he fucks it up it's more than most dude creators are willing to do. If it's just for more titties, then whatever.

I don't want to end pandering until I get pandered too as well, okay.

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: September 04, 2013, 01:45:13 PM »

My main problem is that pandering for pandering's sake always feels especially awkward and out of place in Metal Gear Solid, a series that more often than not equates any sort of sexuality to a psychological disorder.  To be fair, it equates everything else to a psychological disorder too, but the sum effect is when the ass-lady bosses or the loli spies get started it's really just kind of uncomfortable and please can I skip this cutscene now.

Bongo Bill

• Dinosaurcerer
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: September 04, 2013, 02:41:16 PM »

The most erotically charged scenes in Metal Gear Solid have always been those involving men. How soon we forget the knife fights between Vamp and Raiden in MGS4! On the other hand, there was the model viewer in Peace Walker.

I think it's clear that when Kojima uses sexuality and objectification in his games, he means more by it than most developers do. His use is not necessarily less problematic, but it is certainly not qualitatively the same.
...but is it art?

Zaratustra

• what
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Zaratustra Productions
« Reply #657 on: September 04, 2013, 10:29:25 PM »

Nick Cage's Plan

I don't think you can take a Japanese developer who hasn't kept up to date with the last eight centuries of Western Internet discussion about gender roles and opression and put him to the same ruler as a English-literate guy.

But it does get sort of annoying to have this awkward, tense thing between genders in gaming and every month a new guy comes in hollering HEEEEEEEEY WHO LOVES SOME TITTAYS

Smiler

• HOM NOM NOM NOM
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: September 05, 2013, 01:51:15 AM »

For what it's worth, Kojima did tweet that he really wants to see people cosplay as Skull Face aka the guy with the melty face.

Sharkey

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: September 05, 2013, 08:24:09 AM »

I dunno. I think Metal Gear is usually pretty good at hot guys. It's perfectly possible to sexualize men too. It's just that most media play it for comedy instead of serious, so everyone thinks men can't be sexualized.

It's not so much that anyone thinks they can't, it's that on the whole they just aren't. Metal Gear is actually an odd exception in that it has a few male characters that are clearly intended to be attractive to women rather than just embodying an adolescent male power fantasy.

The only problem is that Kojima treats sex pretty much the same way he does military hardware: with incredible enthusiasm mixed with confusion, impracticality, and a childlike sense of humor.

Honestly, it's part of the charm, in a "Jesus Christ this is fucking insane, I can't stop watching" sort of way. At this point I think Metal Gear occupies the same place in my heart as Axe Cop. It's a barely-coherent tale told by an imaginative child, realized by talented artists. I should probably stop acting surprised when he's all "I liek boobs. I'mma draw a lady inna boob suit so girls will show their boobs."
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 37