Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 17

Author Topic: Eversion  (Read 39044 times)

Misha

• Pro-Choice
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Eversion
« Reply #60 on: November 30, 2008, 12:03:26 AM »

last level was sweet, true ending was  :perfect:.

A suicide button would be useful for the parts you can get physically stuck in without dying. also, getting into a one unit high corridor was kinda a bitch but I dunno if that's possible for you to fix

also, there aren't really screamers but there are definitely heart-racing moments

Romosome

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 30, 2008, 12:25:43 AM »

A suicide button would be useful for the parts you can get physically stuck in without dying.

I just called for such a thing but JUST REALIZED you can push Escape to go back to the main menu  :slow:

also, there aren't really screamers but there are definitely heart-racing moments
As it should be, honestly.  That's how you're supposed to do it.

Oh, uh, yeah, if you have some kind of condition maybe you should skip out, Zed.

Also Zara, I forgot to mention this but I love what you did with the title logo.  Very subtle.

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 30, 2008, 12:39:28 AM »

...I can't believe I didn't see that coming.  Ha ha ha ha ha.

[spoiler]I was disappointed, once I saw the new title, that you don't actually get to play the game like that though.[/spoiler]

Friday

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 30, 2008, 02:28:51 AM »

FEED ME

should be a game over screen

Zaratustra

• what
  • Board Moderator
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Zaratustra Productions
« Reply #64 on: November 30, 2008, 06:09:53 AM »

Quote from: ZedPower
The regular temples didn't have any particularly memorable features and were pretty short, but the hidden dungeons all looked more gruesome the deeper when you went in. The first level could be just like the temple it's attached to, but with occasional bloodstains on the walls. The deeper levels had you crossing rope bridges made out of intestines, and fighting demons and creatures made of human bone and wretched, fleshy monstrosities that could have come right out of Splatterhouse. It was made all the more creepy by the way Link didn't seem to give a shit that he was fighting these blood-spewing horrors instead of, you know, bats and spiders.
Quote from: Constantine
I like your idea of a game that rewards the player with FEAR.
Quote from: Zaratustra
This gives me an idea.

Is that what it is?
 :8D:

I don't remember if it was the same idea i had back then but yeah, your dream helped inspire it. sharkey's article on polybius and lee-ham's game were inspirations too.

Friday

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 30, 2008, 09:02:51 AM »

All gems collected, bonus world defeated, true ending achieved.

Dare I say this is probably your best game? Fun and challenging, though I think the final level could have used less mazes that really just take time and more action parts.

Good show.

EDIT: [spoiler]That final claw that pops up right before the flag in world 8 reminded me of IWTBG's traps. I laughed.[/spoiler]

JDigital

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 30, 2008, 11:32:22 AM »

I like the game concept. Although it's short, I think this is my favourite game of yours since Zeux.

I love the claws in world 4. The first time you get hit they're fantastically spooky.

I quit after the world 4 bridge. Am I missing an eversion point or something? I make it past the bridge less than half the time, and after that I always fail trying to jump to the platform directly above. Either I jump too little and headbutt the platform, or jump too much and hit the claw.

Feature requests:

"Press Fire" reacts to 'Z', and perhaps enter.

Basic controls listed on the title screen. Nobody reads manuals

Window title changed to credit author by name.

Support for widescreen modes, if only letterboxing.

Arc

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 30, 2008, 11:52:18 AM »

I quit after the world 4 bridge. Am I missing an eversion point or something? I make it past the bridge less than half the time, and after that I always fail trying to jump to the platform directly above. Either I jump too little and headbutt the platform, or jump too much and hit the claw.

One factor that could help is if jumping was more 'floaty', ala Super Mario Bros. 3, which allowed for more approximations regarding angling and landing.

Friday

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 30, 2008, 11:55:22 AM »

THIS IS SURVIVAL HORROR THE CONTROLS REFLECT THE INEXPERIENCE OF THE CHARACTER

Romosome

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 30, 2008, 11:56:49 AM »

Thanks to his 1-block hitbox, Z.T. can edge nearly all the way out over a drop as long as a little bit of him is still over solid land behind him.  Like Mega Man.  You can edge out before jumping to avoid headbutting and that also keeps you from overshooting.

Also, Zara, I wanted to give you huge props for making this gamepad compatible.  That was really nice.

Zaratustra

• what
  • Board Moderator
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Zaratustra Productions
« Reply #70 on: November 30, 2008, 12:14:37 PM »

jesus christ when I do floaty jump people complain it's too floaty
now people complain it's not floaty enough

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 30, 2008, 12:18:29 PM »

If it makes you feel better, I think this is the first time I haven't had a problem with the way your character jumps.  Usually I find it disturbingly linear, so, er, good job.

Romosome

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 30, 2008, 12:38:19 PM »

I think it's fine, Zara.  The large hitboxes are the only mechanical quibble I have with the game.

also I saw those "make eversion points sparkle" posts on the other forum and laughed.

Detonator

• You made me come back for THIS?
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 30, 2008, 02:45:28 PM »

I agree with the large hitbox sentiment, it shouldn't be so difficult to jump into or fall down small gaps.

I think there should be more puzzles with the eversion changes and less straight up platforming.  Will there be more levels coming, maybe a sequel or second adventure-type thing?  Do you have a goal for this game beyond what you've already made?
"Imagine punching somebody so hard that they turned into a door. Then you found out that's where ALL doors come from, and you got initiated into a murder club that makes doors. The stronger you punch, the better the door. So there are like super strong murderers who punch people into Venetian doors and shit"

Norondor

• Where I'm at is: Fuck you, get shot
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 30, 2008, 02:54:51 PM »

I think it stands fine on its own. It's short, and should be short. The kind of impact that's made by a game with mechanics like this is unlikely to retain its efficacy over the course of a 5/10/whatever-hour-long adventure.

It's better short and to the point, as it were.

Norondor

• Where I'm at is: Fuck you, get shot
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: November 30, 2008, 02:55:00 PM »

then again i didn't make it, so what do i know

Kazz

• Projekt Direktor
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 30, 2008, 02:58:15 PM »

YOU KNOW NOTHING BUT THE COLD GRIP OF THE CLAW

Arc

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 30, 2008, 03:02:31 PM »

True End.

$15 donated. You should all chip in too, damn ya.

Especially ones where you have to go off-screen and hope there's a disintegrating platform there.

The trickiest one being the last, which is only one block instead of two. If successful, a vital 1.5 seconds is achieved.

also, getting into a one unit high corridor was kinda a bitch but I dunno if that's possible for you to fix

Jumping into one of these was hit-or-miss.

I just called for such a thing but JUST REALIZED you can push Escape to go back to the main menu

Unfortunately, the escape function erases collected gems.

your dream helped inspire it.

[spoiler]That final claw that pops up right before the flag in world 8[/spoiler]

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

Romosome

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 30, 2008, 03:03:28 PM »

Agreed with Norondor, as fun as it is, making it longer would lessen the impact.

Zach

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 30, 2008, 04:59:48 PM »

I think the final level could have used less mazes that really just take time and more action parts.

Agreed. There really isn't any danger in them -- maybe if the mazes were shifted to the start of the level as a tutorial regarding what's going on. Or if you really wanted to be mean, add a really slow scrolling wave of destruction. I hate those things.

Regardless, what a fun deversion. Good luck in your contest!

Do other people make up stories about platformers while they play them?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 17