Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 17

Author Topic: Eversion  (Read 38956 times)

François

• Huh.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Eversion
« Reply #80 on: November 30, 2008, 05:15:48 PM »

I don't remember if it was the same idea i had back then but yeah, your dream helped inspire it. sharkey's article on polybius and lee-ham's game were inspirations too.

Haha, neat. It was of some use to someone, that's cool.

Romosome

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 30, 2008, 05:24:50 PM »

I definitely sniffed a bit of Polybius from this.

I like spreading joy around, Zara.  Find a nice clickthrough thing or something that will help you get moneys from this, put ads on the download page, something.  I think this one will be really popular.  Once you've got some google ads or whatever on a place I can link to on your site I'll start passing it around.

Zaratustra

• what
  • Board Moderator
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Zaratustra Productions
« Reply #82 on: November 30, 2008, 07:25:52 PM »

Yeah, I'll tell you when. I still have a couple of bugs to fix. (the losing-gems-on-esc bug and the huge-log-file bug)

Romosome

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 01, 2008, 09:12:35 PM »

ok, I just got the true ending.

I've gushed over this a lot already but this is goddamn brilliant, really.  I love it.  The across-the-entire spectrum part of stage 7 was my favorite part, tying it all together, and then it just starts throwing curveballs.

I'll go ahead and say that yes, I think this is the best thing Zaratustra has done yet.

More feedback and bugs (jesus christ those tester-types never shut up):

Music 2 and 3 seem significantly louder than the other tracks.  It might be nice to lower their relative volume if it's possible.

[spoiler]The gem counter still shows at the top of the screen when you reach the final depth.  Not sure if it's intended, I notice the rest of the data up there went away.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]On the final level near the end in the maze, I somehow managed to end up on top of the screen after an eversion, letting me run along above it like the Super Mario Bros underground level.  I didn't see what happened if I ran over the flag...[/spoiler]

[spoiler]When the world everses on its own after clearing the final area, the music starts playing again.  Minor but thought I'd mention it for completeness's sake. [/spoiler]

sei

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 02, 2008, 04:55:45 AM »

I really like this game's atmosphere.

There are no screamers, if you're worried about that.  Be assured from one incredibly flinchy person to another.
The first claw is basically a screamer.

Arc

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 02, 2008, 05:07:32 AM »

Upon initial start-up, a digital signature error pops-up.

The game closing itself out after completion was neat the first time, but not so much afterward.

Zaratustra

• what
  • Board Moderator
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Zaratustra Productions
« Reply #86 on: December 02, 2008, 05:41:27 AM »

digital signature error? Give me a screenshot or something

Arc

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 02, 2008, 06:28:12 AM »

Zaratustra

• what
  • Board Moderator
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Zaratustra Productions
« Reply #88 on: December 02, 2008, 08:04:51 AM »

I don't even notice that anymore

MadMAxJr

• Tested
    • View Profile
    • RPG Q&A
« Reply #89 on: December 02, 2008, 08:33:20 AM »

Is that Vista?  Doesn't running it with admin privileges skip that?
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt." - Bertrand Russell

Got questions about RPGs?

Kazz

• Projekt Direktor
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: December 02, 2008, 08:57:00 AM »

I get that.  Then I click that little checkbox and stop getting it.

Also, just got BAD END, can't imagine that GOOD END is any more satisfying.

Royal☭

• Supreme Court Judge President
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 02, 2008, 10:55:43 AM »

It is, actually!  It ties together a few loose plot threads and gives a sense of closure that the regular ending lacks.

Also, Zara, this is a terrific game.  Level 7 is the best level, because it makes the player use all the available levels to solve the puzzle effectively and get the last remaining gems.  The only real problem is that if you die after the checkpoint it can become impossible to get all the gems.  Since there is no way to start over other than simply completing the level and letting the ending cinematic kick you out of the game, it can be a bit annoying.

And, the exact opposite is why I hated Level 8.  It's cute how the worlds cycle randomly, but this only stands to obfuscate rather than challenge.  Most of my time in the level was spent waiting for the appropriate moment so I didn't get stuck behind a monster.

One last bug, if you jump on two monsters occupying the same space, that is instant death rather than a more satisfying double kill.  Otherwise, the game is great and I would definitely like to see more of it, or at least more with that gameplay mechanic.

Zaratustra

• what
  • Board Moderator
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Zaratustra Productions
« Reply #92 on: December 02, 2008, 11:25:34 AM »

plot threads? OH RIGHT PLOT THREADS I SURE TIED THEM TOGETHER RIGHT

I think your interpretation of the game is more interesting than mine

Niku

• MEAT
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 02, 2008, 11:36:21 AM »

The only real problem is that if you die after the checkpoint it can become impossible to get all the gems.  Since there is no way to start over other than simply completing the level and letting the ending cinematic kick you out of the game, it can be a bit annoying.

Buh?  You can travel back and forth between all the eversion points that I recall.
i'm a blog now, blogs are cool: a fantastic machine made of meat

JDigital

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 02, 2008, 12:25:43 PM »

I'm grinding through world 6. I just wanna be the guy!

A few more bugs came to light.

- I think I managed to make the leftmost block of world 1 turn invisible somehow by headbutting it.
- The middle block in World 6's jumping bridge has an invisible block two squares below it. Not necessarily a bad thing.
- I get 100% CPU usage. The game can slow on World 6. I'm using a 1.25Ghz Athlon XP.

Romosome

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 02, 2008, 12:37:04 PM »

The only real problem is that if you die after the checkpoint it can become impossible to get all the gems.  Since there is no way to start over other than simply completing the level and letting the ending cinematic kick you out of the game, it can be a bit annoying.

Buh?  You can travel back and forth between all the eversion points that I recall.

[spoiler]If you're on depths 1 2 or 3 and you die, you can't everse back to 4 because the 3 to 4 gate is behind a breakable brick that regens after you die, so you have to restart the level (to get back to depth 7)[/spoiler]

Guild

• High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 02, 2008, 01:20:27 PM »

i cant figure out this eversion thing

i'm stuck on world 2-1 where there's this impossible jump

help i'm slow

Guild

• High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 02, 2008, 01:29:11 PM »

WTF

lol

ok let's beat this sucker

Arc

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 02, 2008, 01:39:11 PM »

- The middle block in World 6's jumping bridge has an invisible block two squares below it. Not necessarily a bad thing.

Thought I imagined this.

Level 7 is the best level, because it makes the player use all the available levels to solve the puzzle effectively and get the last remaining gems.

Halfway through, it became clear that the level itself was functionally a boss fight due to the above mentioned point. Only beef with level eight being the brick room, which requires an exacting sequence to pass beyond, essentially taking much of the control out of the player's hands.

Guild

• High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 02, 2008, 01:55:14 PM »

This post is for personal use. Disregard it or DON'T!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 17