Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 39

Author Topic: Make mine doodles  (Read 61706 times)

Mothra

• ┐('~`;)┌ w/e
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Make mine doodles
« Reply #60 on: March 02, 2009, 07:21:37 PM »

BEEP BEEP!

That is one badass piecea work there, Mongrel. Six thumbs up!

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 02, 2009, 07:32:42 PM »

:nyoro~n:

McDohl

• Pika-boo
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 03, 2009, 05:24:36 AM »

Yeah, the Pedobear air freshener is just class.  Somebody show this to 4chan, I'm sure they'll devour it happily.

Classic

• Happens more often than you'd think.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 03, 2009, 09:38:21 AM »

Since no one's nitpicked it yet, the pedobear seems off. Though it's clear why you made that choice and it didn't strike me as such until I started looking for stuff to complain about.

I should say that I really like your new stuff I_M. It all looks pretty good, and when you go for a more cartoonish/outlandish subject it has a "right" looking feel*. Perhaps because we're conditioned to expect and appreciate variable proportions when things look less real.

Even though I'd like to get on the nitpick train about some of your proportions, I'd like to add that in contrast to everyone else here, I really like this one:
I made a thing.
Both as an exercise and as a painting/picture/whateverthehellyou'dliketocallityoupompouslikingtechnicallingofucker.
In spite of the fact that this is exactly the wrong thing to use painting time for: To me it looks very much like a carefully taken photograph. Captured by surprise in that one moment where the subject reflects on the sunrise/set that she's just witnessed and is about to complete her return to face the photographer.

I know I'm projecting a lot more onto the art than the lines really tell. For me this makes your character more interesting/relatable, because the pose and scene evokes memories of someone I was really invested in.
No, that's not the kind of profound, sincere praise an artist always wants to hear. Just a stab at why I like it so well. To try and express why it was so successful with me in particular.

Looking forward to your next bit. If you're taking suggestions, I think I'd like to see what you do when two characters, or an event featuring several is your subject. Instead of doing either character drafts or profiles (if that is the right word).

*Holy balls what a horseshit line. Note to self, edit this later when less retarded.

Niku

• MEAT
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 03, 2009, 10:16:49 AM »

i'm a blog now, blogs are cool: a fantastic machine made of meat

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 03, 2009, 10:34:41 AM »

Since no one's nitpicked it yet, the pedobear seems off. Though it's clear why you made that choice and it didn't strike me as such until I started looking for stuff to complain about.

I should say that I really like your new stuff I_M. It all looks pretty good, and when you go for a more cartoonish/outlandish subject it has a "right" looking feel*. Perhaps because we're conditioned to expect and appreciate variable proportions when things look less real.

Even though I'd like to get on the nitpick train about some of your proportions, I'd like to add that in contrast to everyone else here, I really like this one:
I made a thing.
Both as an exercise and as a painting/picture/whateverthehellyou'dliketocallityoupompouslikingtechnicallingofucker.
In spite of the fact that this is exactly the wrong thing to use painting time for: To me it looks very much like a carefully taken photograph. Captured by surprise in that one moment where the subject reflects on the sunrise/set that she's just witnessed and is about to complete her return to face the photographer.

I know I'm projecting a lot more onto the art than the lines really tell. For me this makes your character more interesting/relatable, because the pose and scene evokes memories of someone I was really invested in.
No, that's not the kind of profound, sincere praise an artist always wants to hear. Just a stab at why I like it so well. To try and express why it was so successful with me in particular.

Looking forward to your next bit. If you're taking suggestions, I think I'd like to see what you do when two characters, or an event featuring several is your subject. Instead of doing either character drafts or profiles (if that is the right word).

*Holy balls what a horseshit line. Note to self, edit this later when less retarded.

The Candy Van was sort of an old promise to a friend. The '101-HANY' license plate is part of that joke (old work joke, don't ask). The Pedobear thing was half a friend request the same sort of thing, and half a tiny thing that just puts it too far over the top. Like, if the cops are ever knocking on my door to ask about this picture, I can point to pedobear and yell "It was only a joke!", as I do a diving roll out the bedroom window. It's subtle so that it doesn't detract from the picture at first glance.

Thanks for the comments on the previous picture. That was really what I was kind of going for. The other thing I wanted to mention is that if you actually have a person staring out the window at that angle, you only see the back of her head which is awkward and boring.

I could have made a more dynamic picture, maybe from the outside, from a little more interesting angle (the flat-on angle I chose is a very bland and static thing, but that's what I wanted) looking in with most of the figure obscured by the glare of reflection (...actually that's a really cool idea *writes that down*), but this time I just wanted the dark rich silhouette of the figure and wall against the window. I kind of half-succeeded, but it's better than my previous stuff (COLOURING IS HARD HURRRR), so I think it's a victory on some levels.

And actually, the next couple of ideas I had were all more group things. So right with you on that last comment.

BTW, anybody who's never seen my older stuff can look here. Most of the colouring is crap. It's been an excruciatingly slow process to wean myself off of abuse of a: white and b: airbrush.

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 03, 2009, 11:45:19 AM »

Like, if the cops are ever knocking on my door to ask about this picture, I can point to pedobear and yell "It was only a joke!", as I do a barrel roll out the bedroom window.

Sorry.

Classic

• Happens more often than you'd think.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 03, 2009, 12:05:55 PM »

It's OK. I know I couldn't have resisted putting a Peppy graphic in there. So better you than me, I suppose.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 03, 2009, 01:01:24 PM »

Like, if the cops are ever knocking on my door to ask about this picture, I can point to pedobear and yell "It was only a joke!", as I do a barrel roll out the bedroom window.

Sorry.
It's OK. I know I couldn't have resisted putting a Peppy graphic in there. So better you than me, I suppose.

Arc

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 03, 2009, 01:12:30 PM »

Why is his name labeled onto his pajamas? Has he run for political office?

Niku

• MEAT
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 03, 2009, 01:13:40 PM »

His wife got them a matching set.

His clear anger issues, seen in the phone embedded in the wall, are why she is not present in his bed.
i'm a blog now, blogs are cool: a fantastic machine made of meat

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 03, 2009, 01:33:14 PM »

You guys know I didn't make that pic, right?

Arc

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 03, 2009, 01:50:07 PM »

Yes.

Now where are The Mayor portraits? I needed them on my desk last week, so we're going to have a meeting between the two of us regarding your failure, which shall be rescheduled for sometime in June.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 19, 2009, 04:21:56 PM »

Today we will play a game. If you wish to participate, you must not look at the filename of the posted image below.

Guess what song the below drawing is a lyric from. The song is by a band that is ah, rather well known, so there's a fairly reasonable chance a number of you may guess it.

No reason for the game other than, hey why not? And of course, if you're lazy, you can just look at the filename.

Don't know why I made it, just an image I got stuck in my head a long while ago. Took fucking long enough to paint.

Guild

• High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 19, 2009, 04:26:24 PM »

i aspire to one day illustrate half that well

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: March 19, 2009, 05:24:38 PM »

not british enough

- ED

Royal☭

• Supreme Court Judge President
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 19, 2009, 06:07:27 PM »

But they're drinking chips and tea.  Should they have a union jack on the wall?

JDigital

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 19, 2009, 06:29:23 PM »

Maybe it's on the opposite wall.

My Russian neighbours had a Russian flag on their wall. At least I assume they're Russian. Maybe it's just covering up a hole.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 19, 2009, 06:42:20 PM »

not british enough

- ED

Care to elaborate?

JDigital

• Tested