Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10

Author Topic: Legalize It!  (Read 23744 times)

TA

• Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Legalize It!
« Reply #140 on: December 22, 2010, 08:26:18 PM »

Wonder what kind of cancer he just got diagnosed with.
Do you understand how terrifying the words “vibrating strap on” are for an asexual? That’s like saying “the holocaust” to a Jew.

Norondor

• Where I'm at is: Fuck you, get shot
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: December 22, 2010, 09:05:07 PM »

if there was a god, it would be "whole entire body at the same time" but i doubt we are so lucky

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #142 on: December 23, 2010, 08:08:55 AM »

Huh.  I THOUGHT my grandma seemed much less worried about medical marijuana the last time the subject came up.  If Robertson says it's okay that would explain her attitude changing.

Meanwhile, NYT: Montana juror pool refuses to convict a man on minor possession charges, even before the trial begins.

Not a perfect story as the guy's got a hell of a lot of other charges against him besides -- but then, he should presumably get convicted on THOSE.  I'm all for throwing him in prison for owning a gun despite having a prior; I just think focusing on a small amount of marijuana is a distraction from the stuff that's actually important.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #143 on: December 29, 2010, 09:05:56 AM »

LA Times has more on the ramifications of the story.

"I was thinking, maybe I'll have to call a mistrial," [Judge Robert L. Deschamps III] said. "We've got a lot of citizens obviously that are not willing to hold people accountable for sales in small amounts, or at least have some deep misgivings about it. And I think if I excuse a quarter or a third of a jury panel just to get people who are willing to convict, is that really a fair representation of the community? I mean, people are supposed to be tried by a jury of their peers."

[...]

"My personal view, I think for the most part we should legalize marijuana and be done with it. Because I think it's created way more havoc and trouble than it's worth," Deschamps said. "But when you get some guy [like Cornell] that just comes and rubs it in your face.…"

Let's keep in mind, that's a JUDGE talking.  A judge who's a former prosecutor.

Norondor

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: December 29, 2010, 09:15:14 AM »

"It's becoming an increasing problem. People just don't seem to care about marijuana cases anymore," said Brian Towne, the LaSalle County prosecuting attorney.

NOTE TO SELF: cry a river later

Pacobird

• Just fell off the AOL cart
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: December 29, 2010, 11:47:08 AM »

A set of laws (see also: sodomy) historically enforced in such a way as to keep traditionally disenfranchised groups disenfranchised is becoming somewhat inexplicable now that said disenfranchised groups are gaining political power.  More progressive-minded prosecutors are naturally going to be some of the more vocal supporters of legalization, because they are less likely to associate their jobs with maintaining existing power structures.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #146 on: November 11, 2011, 10:37:35 AM »

New Times has a pretty good piece from a few weeks ago on the Obama Administration's systematic dismantling of state medical marijuana laws -- the IRS is denying deductions for dispensaries, and the Justice Department is threatening to charge banks with money laundering and arrest people who lease property for dispensaries.

It's slimy, slimy shit, a gross violation of a previous promise, and of course the victims are people who are seriously ill.

Hey Obama?  Fuck you.

Bal

• Cheerful in the face of nuclear armageddon
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: November 11, 2011, 11:29:55 AM »

It's the one issue on which it seems the left and right agree almost completely, and the government does exactly the opposite of public will. Who could be surprised at this point.

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: November 11, 2011, 11:31:50 AM »

Still holding out hope that the main reason he's the de facto nominee is to rudely surprise the candidates who've built their entire campaign around the idea that all Democrats are Obama.

Bal

• Cheerful in the face of nuclear armageddon
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: November 11, 2011, 11:47:11 AM »

Unfortunately I cannot think of a candidate on either side who I would prefer to Obama.

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #150 on: November 11, 2011, 12:06:24 PM »

I would already prefer Huntsman to Obama.  Hell, I might even pick Romney when it inevitably comes down to it.  An overwhelming Democratic victory in Congress and a landslide vote against Obama would be the best kind of referendum we could actually hope for.  Plus, if we can get the Democratic Congress to ACTUALLY DO THEIR JOBS AND STOP SHIT, then it opens up the possibility of a real long-term solution to this whole conservative tailspin situation.  In 2012 we staunch the bleeding; in 2014 we cleanse the infection; in 2016 we can start healing the patient again.

I hold no reasonable hope of the immediate future being rosy in any situation, but I do think there's a path we can take that doesn't end with our children being fucked at birth.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: November 21, 2011, 02:18:38 PM »

Cedar Sinai gave my sister stomach cancer.  Those guys are dicks seriously.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #153 on: November 23, 2011, 08:34:04 AM »

88-year-old man who sells iodine crystals for water purification has been shut down because, like many chemicals, they can be used in meth production.

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: November 23, 2011, 08:53:39 AM »

They need to shut down Wal-Mart, since you can buy spoons, lighters, candles and baking soda, which are all things that may be used to make crack cocaine.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #155 on: December 02, 2011, 09:36:48 AM »

io9: study shows that states where medical marijuana is legal have fewer fatal traffic accidents; argues that people are more likely to drive stoned than drunk if the penalties for both are equal, and the former is less dangerous.

Not exactly a ringing endorsement, but decreasing traffic deaths is a good thing.

Royal☭

• Supreme Court Judge President
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: December 02, 2011, 10:53:18 AM »

It may not be about the state of the driver, just that in order to drink most people go out to bars, then have to drive home. To smoke weed, you can just stay in.

Which just emphasizes my larger point about cars and driving: The less we have to do it, the less likely we are to die. Which is obvious, and steps up public transportation from a convenience to a civil right and public safety issue.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #157 on: December 02, 2011, 10:59:32 AM »

...but you can drink at home, too.

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: December 02, 2011, 11:12:54 AM »

I've always maintained that private transportation should be outlawed (despite the awesome two-wheel turn I pulled out of the offramp this morning).  But that's another topic!

You're both right though; I'd like to see that statistic hold up in areas where marijuana is served publically (which unfortunately is pretty much limited to one extremely unreliable point of data).

Norondor

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: December 02, 2011, 01:37:45 PM »

...but you can drink at home, too.

but there's a tradition of getting drunk to meet people and much less of one for getting stoned to meet people. (also, no such venue exists.)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10