Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10

Author Topic: Legalize It!  (Read 23833 times)

Kazz

• Projekt Direktor
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Legalize It!
« Reply #100 on: March 28, 2009, 03:33:31 PM »

The question isn't "when do kids start drinking."  It's "when should we stop punishing them for it."  I think 18 is the most sensible spot.

Busting up college parties is a waste of time and tax money.  Wait until people actually get hurt.  Not every underage drinking situation is out of hand; my friends and I were nerds who'd get drunk and watch movies and play Sega Genesis RISK.  We didn't drive and we rarely raped each other.  Yet, cops came along one day and hauled us off.  (This was like 4 years ago.)

JDigital

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 29, 2009, 12:32:54 AM »

It's a ridiculous misuse of police authority. Why give your kids the responsibility to choose their future, move a thousand miles away, study on their own, take heavy debt, then make them criminals for enjoying a beverage that their parents have demonstrated to be quite safe.

Norondor

• Where I'm at is: Fuck you, get shot
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 29, 2009, 01:25:14 AM »

Or, you know. Not.

Kazz

• Projekt Direktor
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 29, 2009, 01:33:47 AM »

I think the fact that the little shits are more than boxer stains is proof that alcohol is a dangerous goddamn thing.

Doesn't mean three years makes a difference, though, except in encouraging the kids to hide from anyone with a shred of responsibility.

Norondor

• Where I'm at is: Fuck you, get shot
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 29, 2009, 02:16:11 AM »

Gives the 5-0 something to do apart from hassling decent people.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: March 29, 2009, 04:48:21 AM »

You guys have forgotten one thing: Students are scum. And a little hardship makes for cleverer, better people.

:happy:

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 29, 2009, 04:53:00 AM »

You guys have forgotten one thing: Students are scum. And a little hardship makes for cleverer, better scum.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 29, 2009, 09:25:24 AM »

Hey, evil masterminds have to have some kind of recruitment grounds for henchmen.

Thugs fished from gutters and dressed in matching black singlets with yellow 'M's on the front just don't cut it any more.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 05, 2009, 07:46:26 PM »

Amusing: Mexican drug lord thanks US for keeping drugs illegal.

Whether or not he'd thank them twice as much if drugs were legal is another question entirely.

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
Re: Legalise It!
« Reply #109 on: April 07, 2009, 04:54:42 PM »

The Reg: study shows illegalizing drugs in Britain has made the problem a hell of a lot worse and cost the citizenry a shitload of money for no good reason.

JDigital

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 09, 2009, 12:50:20 AM »

I saw on the BBC News once that police chiefs in some major UK cities were advocating drug legalization, much for the same reasons.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 09, 2009, 02:56:55 AM »

You know, in the same way as Russia bit the bullet for the rest of the world and made the grand experiment to see if Communism would work out, sooner or later a major country is going to have to go no-holds-barred legalization-and-taxation, just so we can see what really happens.

Bal

• Cheerful in the face of nuclear armageddon
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 09, 2009, 05:03:49 AM »

That's kind of a bad analogy, given that Russia only ever got half way through the communist process. Also, would the Netherlands count? There are restrictions on where you can use drugs, but they might actually be less strict than those governing cigarette smoking in California

I guess it counts if compared to your analogy.

Detonator

• You made me come back for THIS?
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 09, 2009, 05:32:55 AM »

You know, in the same way as Russia bit the bullet for the rest of the world and made the grand experiment to see if Communism would work out, sooner or later a major country is going to have to go no-holds-barred legalization-and-taxation, just so we can see what really happens.

Is Portugal considered major?

Yeah, it's not quite "no holds barred", but still...

Compared to the low to moderate levels of drug use in Portugal since decriminalization went into effect, the majority of EU states have drug use rates that are double and triple that of Portugal today, according to the report.
"Imagine punching somebody so hard that they turned into a door. Then you found out that's where ALL doors come from, and you got initiated into a murder club that makes doors. The stronger you punch, the better the door. So there are like super strong murderers who punch people into Venetian doors and shit"

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 09, 2009, 05:40:25 AM »

That's kind of a bad analogy, given that Russia only ever got half way through the communist process. Also, would the Netherlands count? There are restrictions on where you can use drugs, but they might actually be less strict than those governing cigarette smoking in California

I guess it counts if compared to your analogy.

Well, I was being kind of glib, but I might as well blabber on.

The Netherlands came to mind, but I think they don't count for several reasons: Some drugs were still illegal there and use was restricted to very defined areas. Also, the Netherlands is one of the more populous small countries, but it's still a smaller country.

But actually, to my mind, the most damning thing is that the Netherlands is a wealthy, often permissive country. They have had some trouble with drugs like any western nation, but nothing like the endemic issues faced in the US, Mexico, (to a degree) Canada, Britain or other places deep in a 'war on drugs' mentality. Any real experiment would need to be applied in those countries.

Will wider availaility over time lead to a decrease or increase in consumption? An increase or decrease in crime? Will decriminilization of consumption across the board allow for better treatement programs or will it just make things worse? I think that for any experiment to be useful, it will need to be much wider-ranging (for all or almost all drugs), in a larger country, and in one that already has a drug problem.

Warning - while you were typing a new reply has been posted. You may wish to review your post.

Hm, that's certainly relevant. One thing that should not under any circumstances be overlooked is the increase in treatment as money was shifted away from enforcement and prosecution and over to recovery.

It's such a horrible cliche, but I honestly wonder just how much of the allure of drugs has to do with its forbidden nature.

Kazz

• Projekt Direktor
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 09, 2009, 08:29:29 AM »

It's such a horrible cliche, but I honestly wonder just how much of the allure of drugs has to do with its forbidden nature.

To my mind, the first time is likely an act of rebellion.  The second time and each future time is just because the first time kicked so much ass.

There isn't a kid in America who doesn't hear from every authority figure in his life that drugs are bad, all the way through high school.  There also isn't a kid in America who doesn't resent those same authority figures, aside from retards and Bible-thumpers.

Cthulhu-chan

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 09, 2009, 08:51:00 AM »

Well, the bible thumper do, too.  They just have the omnipresent fear and paranoia of JESUS watching their every move.  Hearing every word.  Sensing every thought.   :proceed:

When I was a believer, I always hated that.

Kazz

• Projekt Direktor
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 09, 2009, 09:01:48 AM »

I imagine being psychologically compelled to feel guilt and self-loathing and taught to endlessly seek acceptance from an invisible entity with whom you can't interact is somewhat troubling, yes.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 09, 2009, 09:55:18 AM »

Actually most 'first times' I've seen were the result of soft peer pressure. Whether or not that constitutes rebellion is another question entirely.

One notable thing that was omitted from the Portugal article was whether 'reduced incidence' meants that the number of average users declined or the average consumption per user went down.

I.E. Did it cause less people to use, or did it only cause existing users to cut down? I'm mean, it's a good result either way, just that the former is probably better.

Kazz

• Projekt Direktor
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 09, 2009, 10:01:37 AM »

So those kids just wanted to "fit in" with whoever they thought was cool.

And that kid they thought was cool probably wanted to "fit in" with some other kid that he thought was cool.  Probably some older kid.

I bet you could trace this back to some kind of Pot Jesus.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10