Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Explain Your Name  (Read 7705 times)

MadMAxJr

• Tested
    • View Profile
    • RPG Q&A
Re: Explain Your Name
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2009, 09:49:47 PM »

In the early to mid 90s my father ran a BBS out of the home on blackcat BBS software.  This was pre-internet days.  Modems dialed up a local file sever/message board/text game server.  The board was called Thunder Dome.  My father, the SYSOP, was Mad Max.  Being his son, I took up Mad Max Jr.

When the internet came around, I discovered my name was not unique, so I capped the second A, so when you see Mad MAx Jr., you can think it's a witty identifier for me and totally not me fucking up usage of the shift key.

Briefly around 96, 97 there was a [PPC] on the front of my name when I played MechWarrior: Mercenary leagues on Kali with Parkers Pirate Corp.

I was briefly a part of the Qoole quake editing community, not good, not terrible mapper.  I had objects get onto their retail CD, and I had a map packed in with the Special Forces Quake mod that had guns by the infamous Gooseman (He did the early CS weapons.)

I still have a copy of my Quake 2 map 'Disfunction Junction' which was the last quake stuff I ever did.  It's a pretty looking killbox map that was distributed around on ftp.cdrom.com for a time.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt." - Bertrand Russell

Got questions about RPGs?

Koah

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2009, 09:58:18 PM »

Mid-nineties, Tenchi Muyo fandom (self-insertion fanfic not included, mostly because I was way the hell too lazy to actually get around to writing it), stock fan "tribute" name.  Found out later that there was a last name to go with the first name I was aping, so I started using it.  Then I found out the way the first name could very easily be read as being feminine, so I started abbreviating it.  Fortunately the knowledge of the last name is so obscure that nobody would actually know what the origin of it was unless I explicitly told th-

:facepalm:

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2009, 10:00:27 PM »

Hunh.  Never made the connection, honestly.

Friday

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2009, 10:47:16 PM »

This name, I kid you not, comes from a bunch of girls shopping and giggling in a mall about how fabulous Fridays are.

My friend who was there still calls me Fab, or Fab Fri, sometimes.

Also I hate my real name with BURNING JUSTICE and so I adopted this name in real life in all but legal matters.

The only person left who calls me by my real name is my brother. Even my mom calls me Friday.

Fortinbras

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2009, 10:48:41 PM »

Still reprasentin' the Hamlet Squad.

Have also gone as Riggwelter on the WFE which is a Welsh or Norse? word for a sheep that's fallen over onto its back and died because it couldn't get up.

Doom

• ~run liek a wind~
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2009, 10:54:39 PM »

maou: I bet if you joined #finalfight you'd never fit in it's a terrible hazing process they're xenophobes etc etc(all true to this day)

me: lawl I'll call myself Doom

Doom has joined #finalfight

Doom: MAN I SURE DO LOVE VIDYA GAMES ALSO THE COLLAR BONE IS THE HOTTEST PART OF A LADY

#finalfight: This guy's alright, also pretty classy and obviously cultured and refined and rich.

Doom:  :nyoro~n:

Kayma

• kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • http://twitter.com/kayma
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2009, 10:56:32 PM »

My story's the same as Lyrai's, except the game I was mashing phonemes together for was Suikoden. I was totally Kayma McDohl.

jsnlxndrlv

• Custom Title
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2009, 11:20:29 PM »

I was lurking the Seven Deadly Forums back in mid- to late-2003 when Thad posted the Newbie Guide.  Something about it bothered me, and I can't remember what that was--possibly the instruction to never refer to oneself as "new", since that would be self-evident to the longstanding members of the community.  I registered as Newbie in protest and have regretted it ever since.

I also posted as "Barathrum" for maybe a week.  Can't remember why, but the name itself is just a synonym for the Abyss.

I tried to change to jsnlxndrlv but you guys made me change back.  It's just my name (Jason Alexander Love) minus all the spaces and vowels.

Sometimes I post as Intentionally Wrong on other forums, because I like to play Devil's Advocate.
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

Spaco

• LLC
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2009, 11:23:13 PM »

High school nickname acquired in Junior? year. Stupid story and tired of telling it, but somehow the name got stuck to me and old high school friends call me it since.

Disposable Ninja

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2009, 11:28:50 PM »

Well, five years ago this exact month I donned the title Disposable Ninja when I joined the Dork Club's message boards (seriously, check it out, five years ago). I had just gotten out of a horrible relationship with a message board for furry super heroes and strange young men who wanted to fuck Nidoqueen, and I decided it was time for a fresh start.

Anyway, I recall seriously deliberating whether to call myself Disposable Ninja or... Disposable Whiteboy.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2009, 11:33:17 PM »

Old handle I picked up in a hurry to register for a forum a long time ago. I was half-assedly trying to be consistent by carrying it over to pyoko, but I have no particular attachement to it other than 'mongrel' is an excellent description of my heritage.

Went by Nobby Nobbs for a short bit. Heh.

I've gone by 'Bjerg' a lot in real life (pronounced 'byerg' or 'buhyerg', like 'Bjorn')... it's a goofy fake-nordic-sounding twist on half my last name (ends in berg). My friends called me Berg a lot, and then one day they were joking about the fact that the last name is Swedish. It went from there to "Ja, heey meester Bjerg!", to that just being my nickname.

I'm mainly pissed that I want to buy Bjerg.com, but some asshole squatter company is sitting on it and I don't know the first thing about trying to get those kinds of URLs.  Even if I did, it'd probably cost the monies.

:sadpanda:

Spaco

• LLC
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2009, 11:43:33 PM »

I'm mainly pissed that I want to buy Bjerg.com, but some asshole squatter company is sitting on it and I don't know the first thing about trying to get those kinds of URLs.  Even if I did, it'd probably cost the monies.

:sadpanda:

Same 

::(:

Dooly

• Who?
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2009, 02:24:55 AM »

A guy on a radio show I heard in high school was named Dooly, and I thought the name was funny.  I don't like it so much now, and I'm thinking of changing it.
:painful: :painful: :painful: :painful: :painful: :painful: :painful: :painful:
:painful: :painful: :painful: :painful: :painful: :painful: :painful:

Alex

• the Slug
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2009, 02:26:07 AM »

I went through a slew of names in my first decade or so on the Internets and finally decided handles are for pussies.

Ditto.  At some point a year or so back, I sat back and asked myself whether or not being anonymous would give me superpowers other than being amazing wuss.  The answer was 'No, I'm not Rumpelstiltskin', so I started going by my real name.

As for my real name, I was named after Alex Karras and Michael J. Fox's Family Ties persona.  I just gave my mom confused looks when she mentioned it.

Guildenstern

I immediately thought of Onimusha when I saw it.  :hurr:

Zaratustra

• what
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Zaratustra Productions
« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2009, 03:17:14 AM »

This name, I kid you not, comes from a bunch of girls shopping and giggling in a mall about how fabulous Fridays are.

The wonderful thing about Fridays, is that Fridays are wonderful things.

mine actually comes from a brazilian short story about a man in a isolation experiment that starts calling himself progressively weirder names.

Roger

• Waiting for the next Smash Bros is the Pits
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2009, 04:08:13 AM »

I got nothing.  :nyoro~n:

Catloaf

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2009, 04:10:10 AM »

I used to go by the name of a character I drew up as a kid which later turned out to resemble a pokemon to a horrifying extent.  I then began to resent this character and dropped that name.

After lurking on Pyoko, which Saturn noisily brought to my attention (not intentionally, but when he lols...) I later joined him at a Pyokon, well, part of it anyway.  There I didn't have a internet name to go by and some one, I forget who, tentatively gave me the title of Kong.

Later on #finalfight I became Catloaf.  Partially based on my cat at the time who had a way of sitting particularly loaf-shaped, partially on vaguely remembering a picture of a loaf of bread with a cat face (I think it was titled nekopan) and partially because I memories of geese sitting being called goose-loafs by my father, so that made me already think of my cat as a Cat-loaf.

The said cat has since passed away. He was 17 years old, as was I at the time. :sadpanda:  Because of that cat's habits, to this day, I still sleep better with a weight of some sort pressing down on me.  The one thing I don't miss about him though, was his habit of drooling on me, usually my face, while sleeping atop me.

Alex

• the Slug
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2009, 05:57:28 AM »

partially on vaguely remembering a picture of a loaf of bread with a cat face (I think it was titled nekopan)

Catloaf

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2009, 06:10:16 AM »

Yep, that's the one.

Bal

• Cheerful in the face of nuclear armageddon
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2009, 08:09:44 AM »

I was playing Virtual On in 99 or 2000, while at the same time, quite by coincidence, I needed an internet handle, so I went with Bal Bados, my favorite robot in the game. Everyone immediately started calling me Bal, and I've gone by it ever since. By this point I identify with it as much as my real name.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5