Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11

Author Topic: Let's Get Conventional  (Read 18874 times)

Zach

• Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Get Conventional
« Reply #180 on: September 01, 2013, 07:10:04 PM »

I'll take that love, if you don't mind! PMs sent to Niku and Mal, regarding LoL skins.

• Magic Gunner Miss Blue
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: September 01, 2013, 07:12:35 PM »

If anyone's got a spare set of PAX LoL skins, I could use a set or...whatever it is they have.

Niku

• MEAT
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: September 02, 2013, 01:13:23 AM »

MarsDragon is a gentlewoman and a scholar and hit me up with some codes .. so I will pay it forward and send these Zach codes to Miss Lyrai.
i'm a blog now, blogs are cool: a fantastic machine made of meat

Malikial

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: September 02, 2013, 05:50:21 PM »

Zach, thanks for the codes, the Arcade Hecarim one was only 13 charcaters long and didn't work... The Blitz one was 14 characters long and worked.

Ted Belmont

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: December 18, 2013, 03:34:30 AM »

PAX to introduce "diversity lounges".

I know the phrase 'tone deaf' gets thrown around a lot, but...goddamn.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: December 18, 2013, 03:52:23 AM »

Oh. Oh wow.

Mothra

• ┐('~`;)┌ w/e
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: December 18, 2013, 04:16:05 AM »

The “Roll for Diversity Hub and Lounge” will be launched as part of a push to provide a resource hub for PAX attendees in relation to marginalized communities within the gaming audience, including women, people of color, the disabled, LGBTQ communities and those with mental illness. It will be a hub for communication, networking and, hopefully, an increased understanding of issues facing these communities every day and the promotion of a tolerant, safe space within PAX.

WOW

Mothra

• ┐('~`;)┌ w/e
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: December 18, 2013, 04:49:50 AM »

Classic

• Happens more often than you'd think.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: December 18, 2013, 06:31:52 AM »

Wait... So this is an actual, physical lounge?
Not like, a series of panels that they're doing as a public service to try and make their constituency be less terrible?

Ted Belmont

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: December 18, 2013, 06:37:40 AM »

Basically, it's Kentia Hall for marginalized groups.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: December 18, 2013, 06:54:59 AM »

I believe the word you're looking for is "Ghetto".

Classic

• Happens more often than you'd think.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: December 18, 2013, 07:05:47 AM »

Wow... So I guess they're really trying to pare down their empire?

• Magic Gunner Miss Blue
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: December 18, 2013, 09:15:39 AM »

Wait... So this is an actual, physical lounge?
Not like, a series of panels that they're doing as a public service to try and make their constituency be less terrible?

No.

Go read the materials. It's little more than an information kiosk, where people who run the panels about Mentally Disabled/LGBT/etc can advertise their panels more.

This is not going to be the Faggots Only hall that people seem to think it is, nor are all the Non-Whites going to be forced into this.

Page 1 Page 2

It even points out that if you're promoting some diverse-issue game, you'll need a booth in the main hall. Which sort of prevents the whole "They're shoving them all in here" aspect.

This is literally nothing more than them trying to do a corporate outreach thing specifically trying to teach their fanbase about things they may not be aware of.

Is the name awful? Yes.
Would it be better if we didn't need a specific "Hey, stop treating people like assholes" information booth/setup? Yes.
Is this, quote, "1950s-era segregation racism, except for White Cis Males & Everyone else"? No.

Ted Belmont

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: December 18, 2013, 10:21:48 AM »

If I may be serious for a moment here, speaking as a member of one of those marginalized groups, this sort of half-assed measure comes off as pretty goddamn insulting. Rather than just enact a policy making the entire con a safe space for everyone, they've just set up an INFORMATION section that will likely be completely ignored by the people who could stand to learn the most from it.

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: December 18, 2013, 10:51:53 AM »

As a white cis male: what Ted said.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: December 18, 2013, 11:30:51 AM »

Rather than just enact a policy making the entire con a safe space for everyone

Exactly. I mean I guess I can see some sort of argument that states "Well, cons have tried to have policies like that in the past and they've been ignored because we can't police the whole con/whatever other reason/excuse".

But that would be an asinine bullshit reason to give up trying to make a whole con safe.

To go back to Lyrai's point, IF this is only supposed to be an education thing, then that might be less bad if there's only one lounge and it's basically treated like a universal education point. In that case maybe their press release is awful, but the actual intended result is a little better-intentioned.

Unfortunately, it's really not clear from the announcements if there's just one lounge or several. If on the other hand, you have specific lounges for each "issue" (which is the way a lot of us read the initial announcement), then that feels way more like ghettos. That also gets into serious issues of categorization of both people and ailments.

Ted Belmont

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: December 18, 2013, 11:37:18 AM »

Rather than just enact a policy making the entire con a safe space for everyone

Exactly. I mean I guess I can see some sort of argument that states "Well, cons have tried to have policies like that in the past and they've been ignored because we can't police the whole con/whatever other reason/excuse".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GaymerX

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: December 18, 2013, 11:46:39 AM »

If I may be serious for a moment here, speaking as a member of one of those marginalized groups, this sort of half-assed measure comes off as pretty goddamn insulting. Rather than just enact a policy making the entire con a safe space for everyone, they've just set up an INFORMATION section that will likely be completely ignored by the people who could stand to learn the most from it.

Not to mention that it may just become the butt of some nasty jokes from less considerate attendees: "if you can't handle it, go back to the diversity lounge", etc.

MarsDragon

• NO FUCKS LEFT TO GIVE
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: December 18, 2013, 01:10:39 PM »

I'm with Ted except that I've always felt safe at PAX already, so....whatever. Just one more thing to completely ignore.

• Magic Gunner Miss Blue
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: December 18, 2013, 01:59:23 PM »

Speaking also as a member of those marginalized groups, there already is a no-harassment policy in place for the entire con, and they've stated repeatedly that they want it to be a safe place for everyone, regardless. There already IS policy in place, but people have told them that there's still a lack of information. So this is their attempt to get the information out.

Quote from: Tycho
If somebody fucks with you, I will show you a magic trick (called “Our Harassment Policy”) where that person’s badge disappears.

They underscore it a few more times in newsposts, but the point is there already is a thing in place for this. Again, it is kind of shameful that they have to double down on what is essentially Cosgrove going "Cut it out", but it's good that they're actually trying to put a good foot forward. I imagine this isn't finalized, PAX AUS (where this is supposed to debut, apparently?) is Eleven Months away. Plenty of time for feedback, fine tuning, and making sure it works.

If further releases show Khoo fucking previewing the glass cages and carnie stands, then yes, lets get the pitchforks and get a good old Angry Mob going. But right now we have something with good intentions, a weird name, written for companies and not the public, and nothing else.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11