Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 ... 50

Author Topic: It's the economy, stupid!  (Read 68927 times)

François

• Huh.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: It's the economy, stupid!
« Reply #400 on: July 23, 2009, 04:41:48 PM »

I've decided 1000000$ a year is the upper limit that talent, luck and honest work can get you. Any more than that, you're probably screwing somebody.

ANYONE MAKING OVER A MILLION A YEAR MUST BE PUT TO THE GUILLOTINE IMMEDIATELY

THE ASS GUILLOTINE

IT'S LIKE A REGULAR GUILLOTINE BUT INSTEAD OF PUTTING THE HEAD IN THE HOLE YOU BEND THE GUY OVER AND

WELL I'M SURE YOU CAN FIGURE OUT THE REST

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: July 23, 2009, 04:44:29 PM »

Congratulations, you are Swedish.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: November 04, 2009, 09:08:55 AM »

Some interesting economic bombshells this morning.

GM displays it is still capable of making massive errors in judgement.

That's just a brutal, brutal 180. I hear lying to the governments of Russia and Germany to steal billions of Euros ("Oh no, we didn't REALLY. We'll pay it back if you ask!") and then taking a giant crap on their citizens is not the way to revitalize your business.

And in nerd-land... State of NY files antitrust suit against Intel.

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: November 04, 2009, 05:18:48 PM »

Kinda sorry I bought a pity car from them.

Royal☭

• Supreme Court Judge President
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: November 11, 2009, 05:06:35 PM »

Counts on the H1N1 vaccine

Here are some of the numbers:

Citigroup - 1,200 doses

Goldman Sachs - 200 doses

Morgan Stanley - 1,000 doses

Now look at what some of the New York City Hospitals received:

Memorial Sloan Kettering - 200 doses

Lennox Hill - 200 doses

NYU Medical Center - 300 doses

And the local universities:

Columbia University - 200 doses

NYU - 300 doses

PhilosopherDirtbike

• Wouldn't dream of it, my good chap.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #405 on: November 12, 2009, 12:33:24 AM »

Goldman Sachs doesn't care about black people rich people.

Only 200 is surprising but I guess the fact that they got any when there are probably at least 200 asthmatic kids who could die from this bug somewhere out there is an outrage. I heard that there was something in the works that would force your employers to give you paid time off if you got the H1N1 bug. I did hear it on the comments section of YouTube, though, so who can say? Would be nice to have something to entice people to stay home and not go out giving this crap to everyone. Especially with the down market and everyone scared of taking the time off. The timing couldn't be worse for this kind of thing.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: November 12, 2009, 04:00:23 AM »

My favourite quote on that issue was from some random government rep "Look, just because it's Goldman Sachs, doesn't mean it's wrong."

The Artist Formerly Known As Yoji

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: November 12, 2009, 02:34:42 PM »

Contrariety GO!

When I mentioned this to Lexi, she didn't see what the big deal was as she figured they were a high-risk group. If it were any of you schmucks I'd probably call bullshit, but not with a nurse-in-training.

I suppose it would make sense if you were trying to keep one of these massive banks from failing any more. It would probably make things worse if a bank already weakened by the financial crisis also had a bunch of it's employees call in sick. That scenario might make sense in a perfect and just world, but then I remember this is a world where motor company execs fly in on private jets to beg for handouts. By this point, I don't know what the hell to think.

:tldr:: Are these guys actually a high-risk group and everyone is still just angry at them? Or are they actually scum that deserve to be hung by their ankles from a streetlight?

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: November 12, 2009, 02:55:37 PM »

Pretty sure anybody who is already in a hospital, even as an employee, is at a much higher risk than an office worker.

But if the nurses themselves don't even care then I've got nothing else to say.

Classic

• Happens more often than you'd think.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: November 12, 2009, 03:31:06 PM »

If I had to make one, the rationale I'd give would be about how much these people travel to make on-site inspections. Making them exceptionally good vectors for disease.

I don't know if Lexi has any reason to believe that this distribution actually services people at high risk, or if she's "just" trusting other professionals. Nor do I really have the guts to even suggest asking her.

Catloaf

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: November 12, 2009, 04:40:22 PM »

They're high risk in that if one gets H1N1, they'll immediately spread it around to everyone packaged as derivatives.  That's how banker's immune systems work, they're a hive-like species who's hive mentality mimics their inner workings and that's exactly how they dealt with their illness that was bad loans.

OR

They're high risk in that rich people are extremely prone to catch illness from the disgusting unwashed masses as they have no resistances to disease from living in their alternate reality that they live in.  What you didn't know that if you have enough money, god opens up a rift in space for you were you can live in infinite bliss as long as you make the masses on this plane of existence suffer?  Well, God does.

Royal☭

• Supreme Court Judge President
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: November 12, 2009, 04:55:17 PM »

These are people who don't even touch their own car doors, who the fuck are they going to spread disease to?  It's also the distribution.  You'll notice that Citigroup and Morgan Stanley combined have about 10 times more than any other group.  And I'd be hard pressed to justify saying that a Wall Street banker is more high-risk than a college student.

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #412 on: November 12, 2009, 05:07:33 PM »

Some interesting economic bombshells this morning.

GM displays it is still capable of making massive errors in judgement.

Quote from: TFA
Server not found

Firefox can't find the server at www.theglobeandmail.com.

•    Check the address for typing errors such as

ww.example.com instead of
          www.example.com

•    If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network

connection.

•    If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure

that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

If only there were some way it was possible to phrase links so that their meaning would be clear without having to click on them.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: November 12, 2009, 06:01:44 PM »

??? The article still works for me. And I know the G&M isn't banned to US IPs or whatever. Don't know why you're having problems.

The long and short of it is that GM, which has owned Opel for years sold it in a complex sale partially bankrolled by Germany to preserve jobs that were otherwise going to be cut (the European Auto industry has had a terrible capacity glut for a while now). The sale itself was old news - they were forced into it as a result of the bankruptcy/bailout. It was finally sold to a Canadian company, partnered with a Russian company with the stated goal of retooling to make cars for the emerging Russian market.

Now that GM's been bailed out, they basically gave everyone the finger and cancelled the sale AFTER IT HAD BEEN COMPLETED. And also after receiving $1.5 Billion Euros from the German government. So, uh, both Russia and Germany hate GM, the workers are furious (since this means thousands of them will be laid off after all) and GM has alienated all the markets it needs for Open to turn a profit anyway, so it's probably not even worth the massive fallout that will ensue.

As we speak, the German government is suing GM for a return of the money, plus interest & damages.

... and that's why I just type links and let people read the damn article. Not everyone does concise as well as you do Thad.

Mothra

• ┐('~`;)┌ w/e
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: December 15, 2009, 11:43:46 AM »

Around half of the US' unemployed population has had some kind of depression. This gonna make our generation end up like those Great Depression boys?

All teaching us the value of hard work and all that?

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: December 15, 2009, 11:57:32 AM »

Not featured: All the people who didn't make it out of the great depression alive.

Mothra

• ┐('~`;)┌ w/e
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: December 15, 2009, 12:09:41 PM »

See now, that's what's concerning. My grandparents and old-as-hell relatives just never talked about the Great Depression, at all. Few really seemed to, that I'm aware of. We know the history of the thing and a couple extreme personal accounts that made it into general knowledge, but as far as what regular people had to deal with when there wasn't any employment anywhere... it was avoided and danced around. It would certainly be useful to avoid some of the mistakes they made, or at least have some sense of what to expect, but people from that time have this awful preservation of innocence thing going on where "the kids don't need to know about that."

Well yeah, I kind of do now.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: December 15, 2009, 12:19:51 PM »

First off, we don't have it even a tenth as bad as they did back then.

The difference between 8% unemployment and 30% unemployment is by several orders of magnitude. While there's valuable lessons to be learned from the hard times our grandparents or great grandparents experienced, not all of them may directly apply to our own era and circumstances.

Mothra

• ┐('~`;)┌ w/e
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: December 15, 2009, 12:28:24 PM »

I guess.

Norondor

• Where I'm at is: Fuck you, get shot
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: December 15, 2009, 01:45:25 PM »

The difference between 8% unemployment and 30% unemployment is by several orders of magnitude.

Eight? EIGHT? Oh, you poor hapless fool. You're so, so lucky to not be living here.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 ... 50