Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 ... 50

Author Topic: It's the economy, stupid!  (Read 68584 times)

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: It's the economy, stupid!
« Reply #520 on: December 16, 2010, 09:07:25 AM »

I don't think he's incompetent so much as way too pacifistic (token war notwithstanding).  Like I've said before, we voted him in on the understanding that he was not a gigantic asshole; this turned out to be exactly the worst thing for a President to not be.

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #521 on: December 16, 2010, 10:05:25 AM »

Well, striking deals isn't inherently bad.  It's not that negotiation is bad, it's that Obama is bad at negotiation.

JDigital

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: December 16, 2010, 10:11:45 AM »

I thought he would be magic but instead he's just like a regular president

François

• Huh.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: December 16, 2010, 10:18:11 AM »

I'm starting to believe that the first day a new president gets in office, some FBI x-files liaison comes in and tells them "okay, here's what's really going on", and whatever the revelation is, it just breaks their mind.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #524 on: December 16, 2010, 10:21:57 AM »

I thought he would be magic but instead he's just like a regular president

Yeah, I'm pretty much tired of the debate being mischaracterized this way.

"Put up a fight once in awhile, god dammit" is not equivalent to "I live in fairyland".

Like I said, I was perfectly aware I wasn't voting for a doey-eyed liberal in '08.  I just thought I was voting for someone who'd have at least as much spine as Bill Clinton did.

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #525 on: December 17, 2010, 05:03:30 PM »

"It's a good first step, but let's be clear, if we actually want to help our economy get back on track and to begin creating jobs, we need to end the job-killing spending binge. We need to cut spending significantly and we need to provide more certainty to small businesses around America," House Speaker-designate John Boehner, R- Ohio, said before the signing.

Man the look on his face when he actually reads the bill is going to be so priceless.

Royal☭

• Supreme Court Judge President
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: December 17, 2010, 05:31:54 PM »

job-killing spending binge...cut spending... small businesses

That's... that's too many shots in a row I need to stop this republican drinking game immediately.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: January 18, 2011, 08:33:51 PM »

That link about the Swiss bank leaker led to this really well-done piece on law school grads

Man, given that I know way too many lawyers, I knew that out of the old "Traditional Pillars" of high end jobs (Doctors, Lawyers, etc.), the outlook was grimmest for law grads. Rising standards on absurd things, lowered standards overall to get more suckers students to enroll... all the "professional" jobs face this these days. But this is much worse than I thought it was. And the offshore outsourcing I hadn't heard about.

Blah blah jokes about sympathy for lawyers aside, until recently, the law was one of the few paths left in higher education that came with a reasonable guarantee of economic security. I guess you can ball this in with the general decline of higher education overall, but it's still brutal to read.

I wonder what sort of enigmatic comment Paco has about this. 

TA

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: January 19, 2011, 09:38:54 AM »

Yeah, you can't get a legal job in this market without either knowing the person hiring you or having 3+ years of specialized experience.  Wasn't true when I went into law school, but the bottom fell out of the market in the past couple years.
Do you understand how terrifying the words “vibrating strap on” are for an asexual? That’s like saying “the holocaust” to a Jew.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #529 on: January 19, 2011, 11:24:45 AM »

You know, you can take the words "legal" and "law" out of your post and it works just as well.

Rico

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: January 19, 2011, 12:08:04 PM »

While we're a huge step away from 1Ls getting cushy firm internships from a few years back, I'm not really that convinced by the article: for 7 pages, it doesn't even mention some pretty important factors to the equation. While right away I found the quote, “I guess I kind of assumed that someone would hook me up with something,” I was strangely unable to find a single statement or data on the percentage of these people who took, say, a judicial internship 1L to up their experience, or the number of people who tried for law review, or, having not gotten on law review, who went for another journal, etc.

Pacobird

• Just fell off the AOL cart
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: January 19, 2011, 01:26:50 PM »

I won't comment on this article other than to say there is a robust dialogue about this, and it is viewed by many as The Problem.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: January 19, 2011, 03:25:22 PM »

That is fascinatingly vague.

(^ not meant as an insult)

Pacobird

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: January 19, 2011, 05:02:53 PM »

I work at a law school, man.  I'm not going to talk about this in depth on a public web forum.

At least not before I publish about it.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: January 19, 2011, 05:13:58 PM »

I knew you worked at a law library. Didn't know it was directly under a school.

Though in retrospect, where the hell else would you have a library specifically for law and legal matters.

Classic

• Happens more often than you'd think.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: January 19, 2011, 05:14:24 PM »

Fed?

JDigital

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: January 19, 2011, 07:57:41 PM »

Yeah, you can't get a legal job in this market without either knowing the person hiring you or having 3+ years of specialized experience.

It's the same in any industry. A man's salary and related expenses are a lot of money and the CEO doesn't want to accept any more risk than necessary. The job opening will go first to someone who's done the same job before. You'll only get the position if none of those interview with the company.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: January 19, 2011, 08:05:18 PM »

Or if the job is shit and you are disposable.

TA

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: January 20, 2011, 08:02:04 AM »

In this case it's more than a lot of large firms are shutting down, so you have entry-level associate positions asking for 3 years of specialized experience and being able to get it.

I like the postings for jobs that want 4-8 years of experience, "but are willing to consider more".
Do you understand how terrifying the words “vibrating strap on” are for an asexual? That’s like saying “the holocaust” to a Jew.

Pacobird

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: January 20, 2011, 09:52:13 AM »

Well, I will say there IS another, rosier side to it: everybody's 401ks got slaughtered in 2008, so the attorneys who were projected to retire at that time couldn't and since have stayed on.  The degree to which business has shrunk is somewhat exaggerated (after all, when shit goes belly-up, people want to sue) but a much larger issue is that jobs that were projected to open up when TA and others like him enrolled in law school simply haven't.  Once things "turn around", the Dept. of Education predicts a mass exodus of older attorneys and equilibrium will resume.

The New York white shoe firms have heavily downsized because half their clients vanished, it's true, but other markets like Chicago, Dallas, and Atlanta are still doing reasonably well; this is probably cold comfort to the new grads in those markets who are now competing with the several thousand wunderkinden who were supposed to have been in New York.

The more immediate problem, as TA hints at, is that the system of summer internships leading to job offers upon which initial legal career development relies was shaken up; law schools are not always as circumspect as they ought to be with regard to actual career skills training, so this has sort of resulted in a Lost Generation of law graduates.  The kid in the article demonstrating a complete lack of ability or vision in setting up a solo practice right out of the gate is not at all surprising.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 ... 50