Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 50

Author Topic: It's the economy, stupid!  (Read 68490 times)

Air

• Tested
    • View Profile
    • SoraCross Dev.
Re: It's the economy, stupid!
« Reply #80 on: September 29, 2008, 11:02:30 PM »

I don't wanna be $400 in debt anymore  :sadpanda:.

I am going to fuck you in the eye.

Me first.

$400? Get a fucking paper route.
Wow, that's not a bad idea. I'll check that out.

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 29, 2008, 11:08:01 PM »

Master, I must object to your curious interest in such a little boy...
You have much to learn, Padawan.

Arc

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 29, 2008, 11:19:50 PM »

I listen to all the masters and maverick hunters who come through here. I'm a bomber, you know, and someday I'm going to  rush away from this place.

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #83 on: September 29, 2008, 11:37:39 PM »

What I hate about all this talk about the bailout is that they're always filled with ill portents and doomsaying; I'm sorry, but the economy collapses every 20 years, (the gas crisis, the stock market crash of 87, etc) and we're always better for it in the end. The banks who deserved to survive will, and the banks that didn't won't. The economic world works just like nature - survival of the fittest.

Bailing them out just disrupts the natural order, and delays the inevitable.

File this under "the world would sure be a lot better if it were as simple as He-Man always told me it was."

First of all, you want to talk about "sickening"?  Social Darwinism is sickening.  It is an inherently racist school of thought.  If you think our economy is based around survival of the fittest, then, by definition, you must think that the reason minorities are disproportionately poor is that they are not as fit as white men.

Problem number two is the implication that the economy is a vacuum, that the Invisible Hand drowns the wicked and spares the righteous.  That's not how it works.  It'd be fucking grand if we could just punish the people who got us into this mess and reward all the hardworking Americans who have had to suffer for it, but real life isn't like that.  In real life, if these companies go down, the entire economy goes with them; you're suggesting cutting off the nose to spite the face.

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 29, 2008, 11:42:57 PM »

Or blowing up an orphanage to kill Hitler.

Shinra

• Big Juicy Winners
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 30, 2008, 04:57:30 AM »

What I hate about all this talk about the bailout is that they're always filled with ill portents and doomsaying; I'm sorry, but the economy collapses every 20 years, (the gas crisis, the stock market crash of 87, etc) and we're always better for it in the end. The banks who deserved to survive will, and the banks that didn't won't. The economic world works just like nature - survival of the fittest.

Bailing them out just disrupts the natural order, and delays the inevitable.

File this under "the world would sure be a lot better if it were as simple as He-Man always told me it was."

First of all, you want to talk about "sickening"?  Social Darwinism is sickening.  It is an inherently racist school of thought.  If you think our economy is based around survival of the fittest, then, by definition, you must think that the reason minorities are disproportionately poor is that they are not as fit as white men.

Problem number two is the implication that the economy is a vacuum, that the Invisible Hand drowns the wicked and spares the righteous.  That's not how it works.  It'd be fucking grand if we could just punish the people who got us into this mess and reward all the hardworking Americans who have had to suffer for it, but real life isn't like that.  In real life, if these companies go down, the entire economy goes with them; you're suggesting cutting off the nose to spite the face.

Poorly managed companies dying out and being replaced by the companies who managed themselves properly is harldy racist; race never comes into that equation.

Some of the aspects of social darwinism are disgusting, yes. But if we're going to dump 700 billion dollars into counteracting then, I'd prefer they go to the people on the bottom rather than the people on the top. The money should be relief, not reward. Any company who would collapse for their use of predatory lending and overlending should be allowed to collapse. The FDIC and the federal government will protect people's savings and mortgages. A bank collapsing does not suddenly throw tens of thousands of people out of their homes.

You and I may feel differently about the economy, Thad, but I really don't appreciate you attacking me on our difference in opinion. If you want to have a discussion, let's have a discussion.

Royal☭

• Supreme Court Judge President
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 30, 2008, 06:03:59 AM »

Oh, yeah, do it.  Let's see this Thad v Shinra debate on the economy.  I'm sure Shinra is as informed and knowledge about as complex a subject as the economy as anyone could ever hope to be.

Shinra

• Big Juicy Winners
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 30, 2008, 06:09:49 AM »

Oh, yeah, do it.  Let's see this Thad v Shinra debate on the economy.  I'm sure Shinra is as informed and knowledge about as complex a subject as the economy as anyone could ever hope to be.

I don't really understand the assumption that I'm stupid. I'm entitled to have my opinions, even if they differ from yours, and the occasional misspelling or poor grammar does not classify me as an idiot, either. Smarter people than I have had a much worse grasp on the english language.

If having the balls to actually take part in a discussion instead of blindly agreeing with the flow and contributing nothing relevant of my own makes me an idiot, then so be it.

Classic

• Happens more often than you'd think.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 30, 2008, 06:27:22 AM »

::D: Did Shinra just do some kiai? Believe in you who believes- :slap:

T- Shinra w/ serious:
You're talking about "opinions" and the like almost as though you're a grassroots ID campaigner. I want to believe you have a keen and insightful grasp of the micro and macro economic realities of the American economy, but I don't have any reason to right now.

Or blowing up an orphanage to kill Hitler.
I'd do it. It's not like the orphans have anyone who love them. :nazi:

Friday

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 30, 2008, 06:34:46 AM »

You and I may feel differently about the economy, Thad, but I really don't appreciate you attacking me on our difference in opinion. If you want to have a discussion, let's have a discussion.

I don't see any attacks made against you in Thad's post.

Shinra

• Big Juicy Winners
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: September 30, 2008, 06:46:30 AM »

I don't see any attacks made against you in Thad's post.

First of all, you want to talk about "sickening"?  Social Darwinism is sickening.  It (your opinion) is an inherently racist school of thought.  If you think our economy is based around survival of the fittest, then, by definition, you must think that the reason minorities are disproportionately poor is that they are not as fit as white men.

Emphasis mine, obviously.

Friday

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 30, 2008, 06:51:17 AM »

Well, yeah. He's attacking your opinion, for sure. I just was confused about it, because it sounded like you were saying that he was attacking you personally.

Shinra

• Big Juicy Winners
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 30, 2008, 06:57:09 AM »

Well, yeah. He's attacking your opinion, for sure. I just was confused about it, because it sounded like you were saying that he was attacking you personally.

Attacking my opinion would be one thing, but jumping to the conclusion that I'm a racist when I never mentioned race or referenced race is another entirely. He took my point out of context rather then providing a rational response. If this was Guild I would believe that it was unintentional and chalk it up to him just being Guild, but I know Thad is smart enough to understand what I was saying.

Classic

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 30, 2008, 07:03:47 AM »

Or he it could be that "it" is Social Darwinism, and he's arguing that you can't support SD as it's commonly constructed without it leading to racist conclusions.

SD takes as one of it's assumptions that we are not in a state of essentially economically enforced feudalism, with poor but talented and worthwhile fiefs squeezed for whatever they've got and kept down almost systematically.

Of course, this is all "high context" reading of Thad's words, so, you know, it's almost definitely wrong.

Guild, you are a hero forever for bringing the phrase "high context" here.

Catloaf

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 30, 2008, 08:33:28 AM »

He took my point out of context rather then providing a rational response.

Thad's obviously fit to be a politician then.  THAD FOR PRESIDENT 2012!

Norondor

• Where I'm at is: Fuck you, get shot
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 30, 2008, 09:41:44 AM »

Thad also has long-standing problems with the snark-unkind continuum of human interaction.

Classic

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 30, 2008, 09:45:53 AM »

By "problem" to you mean antipathy or extreme exuberance?

Arc

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 30, 2008, 10:33:39 AM »

McDohl

• Pika-boo
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 30, 2008, 10:46:33 AM »

::(:

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 30, 2008, 10:48:39 AM »

Today is the second worst day in the last 100 years to be trying to buy a car.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 50