Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 30

Author Topic: Worst Stray Thoughts Ever  (Read 63320 times)

Bongo Bill

• Dinosaurcerer
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Worst Stray Thoughts Ever
« Reply #60 on: August 03, 2008, 11:58:00 PM »

And think of the possibility of adding Fire Emblem-style support conversations, even.
...but is it art?

MadMAxJr

• Tested
    • View Profile
    • RPG Q&A
« Reply #61 on: August 04, 2008, 06:56:50 AM »

Damn.  I've never seen it put so plainly.  Just shut up and code already.

Whoops.  This might go in the programmers wanking thread instead.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt." - Bertrand Russell

Got questions about RPGs?

Bongo Bill

• Dinosaurcerer
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 04, 2008, 05:36:19 PM »

Damn.  I've never seen it put so plainly.  Just shut up and code already.

Whoops.  This might go in the programmers wanking thread instead.

Well, it applies to just abou' everything.
...but is it art?

Kazz

• Projekt Direktor
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 04, 2008, 08:28:55 PM »

I think the best example is Da Vinci, who never stopped creating for two goddamn seconds, and you can bet that not everything he made was brilliant.

Bongo Bill

• Dinosaurcerer
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 05, 2008, 02:35:02 AM »

I don't know how involved it is to script Garry's Mod for something like this, but I suspect it'd be fairly easy. When I get to learning how to deal with Source, maybe I'll do it then.

ROLLERMINE WRANGLER

There are about a hundred rollermines all in the middle of a map, or perhaps fairly distributed throughout it. At far opposite ends of the map there are goalposts, which are harmless to humans but which disable rollermines as soon as they pass through. Unarmed players with finite HP form teams to try to lure the most rollermines into their own goals. Play continues until all rollermines are disabled or all players are dead. For added fun, construct maps with obstacle courses that either make it hard to avoid rollermines or hard to get them to follow you en masse.
...but is it art?

Kazz

• Projekt Direktor
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 05, 2008, 10:29:58 AM »

It'd be easy to set that map up, as long as you figure out a way to get the goals to kill the mines.  Lasers might work, but they would kill the players.

McDohl

• Pika-boo
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 05, 2008, 01:02:36 PM »

So, Chu Chu Rocket where the mice explode?

MadMAxJr

• Tested
    • View Profile
    • RPG Q&A
« Reply #67 on: August 05, 2008, 01:07:58 PM »

Except the mice are hellbent on chasing you.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt." - Bertrand Russell

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 05, 2008, 01:58:41 PM »

It'd be easy to set that map up, as long as you figure out a way to get the goals to kill the mines.  Lasers might work, but they would kill the players.

How hard is it to give them infinite health and have them count as a target for the mines?  Or you could, you know, give them finite health, if you want to add that level of challenge.  Or just change the goalposts to, like, terrified NPCs.

Bongo Bill

• Dinosaurcerer
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 05, 2008, 03:18:05 PM »

Maybe just a big hole with an elevator (which is activated by PCs but not by rollermines).
...but is it art?

Kazz

• Projekt Direktor
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 05, 2008, 09:53:40 PM »

Or maybe just a big hole.

Which sort of turns the whole thing into a Double Dare event.

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 06, 2008, 01:12:21 PM »

So... what's the difference between a Half-Life level and a Double Dare event?

MadMAxJr

• Tested
    • View Profile
    • RPG Q&A
« Reply #72 on: August 06, 2008, 01:19:42 PM »

Only one of them has Marc Summers secretly telling himself 'Unclean. UNCLEAN!' and rushing to a bathroom stall to scrub himself with steel wool afterward.  Well not really, but he is OCD.

James Edward Smith

• CIS male, Albeist Scumbag
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 06, 2008, 01:43:25 PM »

Can anyone here think of a 2d platform game where there are one or more player characters that each have unique abilities that are needed to progress through a level easily, or even at all (like the Lost Vikings) that is multi-player? Obviously I'm thinking of having something here where you play over the net and yell at eachother over ventrilo, but has there ever been a game like this before that just used a multitap or something to let three people play on one tv or something like that?

Is it just me or is that an amazing idea that has never been done because of the perceived outmodedness of 2d platformers once online play became an expected game feature?
Talk? Talk is for lovers, Merlin. I need a sword to be king.

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 06, 2008, 01:44:55 PM »

No way, G-Man is totally Summers.  He's all like, "Grab the flag, Mr. Freeman, and prossssseed to the next obssstacle," and then he adjusts his tie.  Over and over again.

Can anyone here think of a 2d platform game where there are one or more player characters that each have unique abilities that are needed to progress through a level easily, or even at all (like the Lost Vikings) that is multi-player? Obviously I'm thinking of having something here where you play over the net and yell at eachother over ventrilo, but has there ever been a game like this before that just used a multitap or something to let three people play on one tv or something like that?

Not quite what you're talking about, but FFCC:Ring of Fates will alter all the dungeons in Multiplayer to require each player to use his or her special abilities to proceed.  And every so often you can skip ahead by cleverly forming a tower and throwing each other.

Also this may or may not be the idea behind Little Big World.  Honestly at this point if anyone can explain Little Big World in less than 10 pages then they get a cookie.

James Edward Smith

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: August 10, 2008, 08:06:08 PM »

After I make Devil's in Heaven with XNA starting in september and making a little Blackberry rogue-like about moles, my next big game idea that isn't Mount Darwin is for a game where you have a sled or wagon that is pulled by various... well pokemon really.

You'd ride around seeking out new pokemon to pull your wagon or fight for it and speed of travel would be a big factor in the game. Like, a sled that was fast but had weak attacking capabilities would still have a big advantage over other sleds and could wittle them down while circle strafing them and going over jumps and shit. Plus, fast sleds/wagons could do cargo missions faster and do the harder missions that required long journeys in a short time. But you'd want good fighters pulling your sled to so that you can fight easier and make battles end faster so that they didn't hold up your shipments too much. You'd have to strike a balance.

Kazz

• Projekt Direktor
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 10, 2008, 08:44:53 PM »

the sled would only go as fast as the slowest creature, though.

so i think the top speed of an animal wouldn't matter as much as how much endurance it has.  a fast animal pulling at half speed would tire slower than if it pulled at full speed with a bunch of similarly fast animals.

having a lot of creatures would raise your upkeep quite a bit and you'd probably have to keep them from fighting.  maybe by ensuring that animals who don't get along (predator/prey or similarly aggressive) are nowhere near each other in the hitching order.

i think the sled would make the most sense.  maybe one big hurdle is environment; a bunch of heavy-coated animals do great in the tundra but have a really hard time in the desert.

James Edward Smith

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 10, 2008, 09:27:35 PM »

That stuff he said

I think you could come up with some sort of system where you could have animals traveling with you, along side you what weren't pulling you. That way, you could hitch or un hitch animals according to the situation (just cruising, trying to get the sled away from something in a hurry, fighting, etc).

About your sled only going as fast as the slowest animal thing though. I could see having it where by faster animals whould reduce the amount of pulling that slower animals have to do and therefore save their endurance where the slower animals would lessen a lot of the weight that is pulled by your faster animals so they don't  waste strength. This would work under a system where.

pulling a sled of X weight requires Y strength
pulling a sled for Q time requires P endurance

Also maybe have something where the lead animals alter the way the rest of the pack gain stats.

I also like the idea of auxiliary animals that don't pull the sled but that do other things like generate supplies or act as scouts

James Edward Smith

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 11, 2008, 06:08:22 PM »

But back to my Blackberry roguelike which I might actually start working on just because I found a pretty good open source, java roguelike engine on source forge and I'd like to try to port it over to blackberry APIs and etc and then use it to make a little roguelike.

Your character would be a mole in this game and the first four classes I would try to make are the:

Miner
Muncher
Mugger
Mystic

I was wondering if any of the game design wanks on here would have any cool ideas for abilities for the Muncher class. My basic idea for him in my head is that he is a melee fighter who has poor armour wearing and weapon using abilities and gains those stats slowly due to his low intellect. His strengths are that he is very physically strong and tough, with high natural attack power when using his trademark teeth based attacks from which he also gains life on successful attacks and which he levels up in quickly. He's the sort of class that is able to deal a lot damage physically, but who gets into trouble quickly if he is stunned or otherwise disabled since he needs to be able to constantly attack to keep his health up because of his lack of good armour choices.

Some other side abilities would be his instestional fortitude; he can eat almost anything for food and not suffer the ill effects other classes might, a good ability to have in a roguelike. I was also thinking of maybe giving him a sort of kirby-like power stealing ability at high levels too, but that may prove overly complicated. I do like the idea of his ultimate teeth attack being the ability to engulf an enemy and slowly damage them until they are digested or force him to spit them out though.

Bongo Bill

• Dinosaurcerer
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 11, 2008, 06:12:02 PM »

Since it's about moles, all the characters need the ability to dig through walls, and that ought to be a major factor in the game. Adjust class balance by changing the speed with which they can dig, and maybe the amount of waste dirt produced. Also needed: the ability to use waste dirt to make new walls.

As for the Muncher himself? Give all enemy meats an intrinsic bonus, but each of them requires a minimum Digestion skill, below which you might get no effect at all or even be harmed by it. Munchers get high Digestion.
...but is it art?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 30