Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: A Next Mayor Is...  (Read 8062 times)

Arc

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
A Next Mayor Is...
« on: February 02, 2009, 11:28:15 PM »

ARC EDIT: http://www.worstmayorsever.com/

i made a thing

The drumbeat for the next incarnation of The Mayor is beginning to fill my inbox. Reassuringly, the desire for community-based content appears to be as strong now as ever. Another voyage into the abyss was inevitable, and so my proposal is as follows:

Reviewing the unique projects we have created, The Mayor & The End standout immediately. In one, we have an absurd character, and in another we have an untapped play system. Merging the two together, a bizarre succession of interactive storylines could arise.

Employing a small committee of writers, updates once every two to three days would be a breeze. The storyline could be held on a presentable front page, while voting and discussion occur within the boards. A new topic would be posted with every update, complete with adjustable poll. In this manner, new members would be directly introduced to the boards, with a secure voting system already in place.

Artwork, comics, music samples, voice work, and even small game prototypes from our community could be included at random, or planned to coincide with the events in the storyline. Extracurricular articles are welcome, but would not hold priority.

In the The Mayor, we already hold oddball design and background work of which to draw from. In Friday's The End, an evolving Choose Your Own Adventure system was born, offering an experience not often (if at all) seen before. The growth potential for both are rich, and possibly dynamite together.

Thoughts?

Kazz

• Projekt Direktor
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: A Next Mayor Is...
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2009, 04:35:19 PM »

A collaborative fiction blog, huh.

I remember everybody calling this a terrible idea back when I suggested it.

Detonator

• You made me come back for THIS?
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2009, 04:59:11 PM »

Reviewing the unique projects we have created, The Mayor & The End standout immediately.

By The Mayor, are you talking about the failed website or the extremely failed video game idea?
"Imagine punching somebody so hard that they turned into a door. Then you found out that's where ALL doors come from, and you got initiated into a murder club that makes doors. The stronger you punch, the better the door. So there are like super strong murderers who punch people into Venetian doors and shit"

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2009, 05:08:46 PM »

I can draw things at random.

Royal☭

• Supreme Court Judge President
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2009, 05:49:01 PM »

A collaborative fiction blog, huh.

I remember everybody calling this a terrible idea back when I suggested it.

Actually I seem to recall the thing getting support then being put into practice then being shot down.

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2009, 05:54:58 PM »

My recollection was that we said "Maybe we shouldn't build a blog and a wiki around it until we see if it will last more than 7 posts."

Royal☭

• Supreme Court Judge President
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2009, 05:55:16 PM »

Well, there wasn't a wiki...

• Magic Gunner Miss Blue
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2009, 06:14:04 PM »

My recollection is something happened to the webspace it was o :serious: :wrong: :enraged: :scanners: :gameover:

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2009, 06:22:33 PM »

...I don't think we're talking about the same thing.

MadMAxJr

• Tested
    • View Profile
    • RPG Q&A
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2009, 06:32:05 PM »

I would have liked the video game if we had:

A: Regular organized discussion.  On second thought, we did pretty good on this part, except the bi-weekly IRC chat.
B: Fewer cooks putting things in the pot
C: Me actually getting off my duff and picking up the 'So you want to code a game' book.

I have never ever looked at 'The End' threads.  Though after reading an archived copy of 'RubyQuest', collaborative fiction seems to be the in-thing these days.  (Accusations of RAILROAD go here.)
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt." - Bertrand Russell

Got questions about RPGs?

Disposable Ninja

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2009, 06:45:09 PM »

Actually, the game could have worked if we broke it up into smaller, bit-sized adventures. Like, One Dungeon an episode.

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2009, 07:11:32 PM »

The game would have worked if 80% of the team didn't enter with the mindset that it would fail.

The fact that 80% of everyone else was doing everything in their power to reinforce the belief didn't help either.

Guild

• High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2009, 08:03:45 PM »

Offering my services as a voice actor... that's about all I can be reasonably expected to contribute of value.

MadMAxJr

• Tested
    • View Profile
    • RPG Q&A
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2009, 08:24:15 PM »

Oh right.  One other FUN ISSUE.

The wonderful social network where some of us actually don't like certain members, let alone any desire to work with them.

That does make it hard to work on a group thing.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt." - Bertrand Russell

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2009, 08:25:44 PM »

...have you ever had a real job before?

MadMAxJr

• Tested
    • View Profile
    • RPG Q&A
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2009, 08:26:39 PM »

That's different.  I have to work with those people.  To get paid.  No avoiding it.  I'm talking about instances where work is outright refused due to partnerships.

Detonator

• You made me come back for THIS?
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2009, 08:27:19 PM »

The game would have worked if 80% of the team didn't enter with the mindset that it would fail.

The fact that 80% of everyone else was doing everything in their power to reinforce the belief didn't help either.

I think it's a mistake to develop something as complex as a game so openly.  To lay out the idea to everyone before getting all programming and artwork positions filled seems short-sighted.  If the people who actually make the game don't want to make the game, perhaps the idea should be put on hold.

Can something like The Mayor Game work?  Sure, but development needs to done privately.  Idea threads can still be used, but decisions need to be finalized by a small team instead of mob rule.  Blame our attitude all you want.

As for this new idea, it's a lot less ambitious than a full video game, and I think Arc has the resources to make most of it himself without our help.  Any planning for the story needs to be done secretly by the writers as to not spoil things, however.  I think Arc just needs to reach out to the talented writers among us and surprise us with the page.  I think it will succeed that way.
"Imagine punching somebody so hard that they turned into a door. Then you found out that's where ALL doors come from, and you got initiated into a murder club that makes doors. The stronger you punch, the better the door. So there are like super strong murderers who punch people into Venetian doors and shit"

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2009, 08:30:31 PM »

^
This is exactly why I never tell you people what I'm doing until it's done.

MadMAxJr

• Tested
    • View Profile
    • RPG Q&A
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2009, 08:31:16 PM »

I'm inclined to agree with Det.  The last iteration was effectively design-by-committee.  Arc should just cherry pick, since it's pretty much his brainchild, pull those people into a lab/thinktank and see what happens.

I am still of firm belief that if anything is to get done, consistent, regular scheduling must occur.  Working on a hobby project of this nature on a total 'When I feel like working on it' basis is best left to one man teams like Zara and Kayin.

Lady Duke

• Shiny Ranger
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2009, 08:41:14 PM »

So people want it to be collaborative, but highly selective?  That doesn't sound very community-ful.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4