Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22

Author Topic: I Don't Do Windows  (Read 47588 times)

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: I Don't Do Windows
« Reply #380 on: April 10, 2013, 08:27:25 AM »

Global PC shipments drop a full 14% on the back of peoples' unwillingness to adopt Windows 8

Haha, oh man. I mean that is 14% of PC sales for the entire world. Even if the direct effect of Win 8 is only half that, that's still massive.

Kayma

• kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • http://twitter.com/kayma
« Reply #381 on: April 25, 2013, 01:53:41 AM »

Ubuntu 13.04 is out today. Here I thought they were going to release their first .05

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #382 on: April 26, 2013, 03:10:32 PM »

My old Kubuntu drive is going south.  I mainly use it for storage but I've found it handy as hell to have a spare Linux boot around when OpenSUSE misfires, so I'm going to go ahead and put Mint on the replacement drive and fuck around with it for a bit.

Haven't had much luck so far.  My torrent download fucked up; I looked for the correct checksum but didn't find it listed on the Mint site, so instead of thinking to look for an FTP mirror I just decided to roll the dice, burn it, and see what happened.

Which was foolish of me; even though it only took a few boot attempts to convince myself I'd burned a bad ISO (I knew it wasn't a bad burn because I HAD checked that) that was still a pretty hefty chunk of time.

Always look at the checksum.  And if you can't find it on the distro website, well yes that IS pretty stupid, but you should still be able to find it if you pull up one of the FTP mirrors.

Trying again now...

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #383 on: April 26, 2013, 04:52:12 PM »

It's installed but I haven't tried it yet because now I'm troubleshooting an unrelated issue in OpenSUSE.  X isn't working because of an nVidia driver upgrade.

I swear to Christ if I find a distro where that doesn't happen I'm sticking with it.  Think I'll try Arch next.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #384 on: April 26, 2013, 05:07:41 PM »

...just gonna go ahead and post this here too in case my website's down the next time I need it:

For the next time I get locked out of X after an nVidia upgrade:

The OpenSUSE package for nVidia drivers for a GTX570 is x11-video-nvidiaG03.

The OpenSUSE package for the nVidia kernel module for a GTX570 is nvidia-gfxG03-kmp-default.

Which still hasn't goddamn fixed it and I'm STILL getting an error that the kernel's using an old version number, despite my installing the new one.  But it's a start.

Kayma

• kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: April 27, 2013, 03:18:45 AM »

Got similarly fucked when I updated my work computer to 13.04, since it updated xserv and broke my legacy-ass ATI fglrx drivers. Fun, though, because installing 13.04 from scratch, downgrading xserv, and then installing the legacy drivers is still breaking unity.

dtsund

• Untested
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: April 27, 2013, 05:36:31 AM »

What I'm getting from all of this is "don't upgrade from 12.10 just now".

EDIT: No, wait, I misread; it's only one of you actually having Ubuntu problems.  Still, though, I've never had an OS upgrade go well, so I'm still going to put this one off.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #387 on: April 27, 2013, 08:14:03 AM »

And then updating my kernel led it to kp.  Tried to run a previous kernel and that worked for a bit but now I'm getting kp's from the old one too.

Mint's working, though still a pretty bare install without much of anything configured (I'll probably have more comments later, but generally speaking it's got a good collection of software, a good and often clean look, but the typical GNOME problem of not nearly enough easily-visible options to configure shit), and...

...well.  The good news is I just found out that after a reboot it's no longer failing to mount any of my other drives, so that's good.  Should be able to chroot into the OpenSUSE partition and fuck around with zypper from there, hopefully get my kernel working again.

Kayma

• kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: April 27, 2013, 08:47:38 AM »

What I'm getting from all of this is "don't upgrade from 12.10 just now".

EDIT: No, wait, I misread; it's only one of you actually having Ubuntu problems.  Still, though, I've never had an OS upgrade go well, so I'm still going to put this one off.

To be honest, I've never had an Ubuntu upgrade work well. Much better luck (current circumstances aside) with fresh installs.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #389 on: April 27, 2013, 02:28:20 PM »

OpenSUSE's booting again but, while the nvidia kernel modules finally appear to be working, no other modules seem to be.  Can't mount any non-Linux FS's (which it turns out is the reason I couldn't boot at all for the past few hours -- have I mentioned how much I fucking HATE OpenSUSE's refusal to boot if it has trouble mounting something?) and networking is not working, which I hope is the reason why Firefox and Evolution just max out the CPU when I try to launch them and never actually come up.

Posting this from Mint, as you might expect.

Miserable damn headache all day; this hasn't helped.

Kayma

• kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #390 on: April 27, 2013, 02:50:37 PM »

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #391 on: April 27, 2013, 04:16:47 PM »

Back to the kp's.

Can use Mint as my main OS for a few days if I need to but I'm not prepared to make it my primary.

Could do a backup/restore on my home directory etc. and just reinstall OpenSUSE, but I'm not exactly filled with confidence that it wouldn't crap out as soon as I run another kernel update.

And while "try out Arch" is on my to-do list, it's sure as hell not on my to-do list for this week or indeed this month.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: June 18, 2013, 01:06:14 PM »

So I guess http://login.passport.net/uilogin.srf?id=2 is gone for good?

Too bad, I always liked having a clean, no-frills page to access Hotmail from.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: July 02, 2013, 05:52:09 PM »

So I guess http://login.passport.net/uilogin.srf?id=2 is gone for good?

Too bad, I always liked having a clean, no-frills page to access Hotmail from.

Well how about that! They brought it back! Huh.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #394 on: July 05, 2013, 03:05:57 AM »

Finally got my Samba working again using a script called SACT.  I was impressed by its thoroughness and ease-of-use; I think it'd work great as part of the standard distro.

Course, I'd rather have Samba Just Work.  It worked fine in 12.2 and broke when I upgraded to 12.3; dunno what happened but I'm not the only guy who's had that problem.  Regressions suck.  My printer's stopped working too.

On the whole I'm still happy with 12.3 and everything it's fixed; they seem to have stomped the bug I kept getting with Evolution and LibreOffice where after a reboot they'd segfault and I'd have to reinstall them.  But I wish they could have fixed those without breaking things that were working fine before.

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: July 11, 2013, 02:35:14 PM »

About two hours to get to the point where I can make posts using Raspberry Pi, including the hour it took just to get NOOBS onto an SD card.  Not bad.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #396 on: July 16, 2013, 04:04:47 PM »

Ars has an article that's basically just a summation of two other articles listing alternatives to various Google products and services.

I was hoping that the 207 comments meant that there would be people contributing more suggestions, but nope, today we got the Petty Snipey Nerd Ars Comments Section instead of the Helpful Knowledgeable Nerd Ars Comments Section.

I only ever used gmail as a forwarding destination for the E-Mail address that some of my disposable accounts are tied to, because at that time that address was stuck with a hosting provider that didn't support IMAP.  Now that I've taken ownership of that domain myself, I use my own IMAP server and don't need gmail anymore.

I've been using owncloud for backups on my local network.  Interface is fiddly but backend is solid and gives me something to do with my early-model Mac Mini.

Finding an alternative to Reader has been frustrating.  I've gone with Tiny Tiny RSS.  The official Android client (which costs money in the Play store but is free on F-Droid) is feature-complete enough that I don't miss NewsRob until it starts running balls-slow and then crashes, which only happens, you know, constantly.

And it seems that the only desktop Linux client for TTRSS is Liferea, which has at least tried to live up to its terrible name by being runny shit.  Its level of sophistication has not quite reached the complexity of "display an apostrophe instead of ' in the subject line", "display post author", or "show categories associated with Tiny Tiny RSS feeds".  (Though at least it still displays your feeds in the same order they appear in when they're categorized, so they ARE still sorted by category -- you just can't actually see any of the category names or divisions.)

I go back and forth on whether it's actually superior to just using TTRSS's Web interface or not.  It's certainly faster, and it's got better hotkey support.

sei

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: July 17, 2013, 02:00:30 PM »

I've found Feedly + GReader (Android app) to be adequate for RSS consumption. The default magazine style layout of Feedly is crap, but they have 3 other views, some of which are satisfactory.

OwnCloud's freedom from other people's servers is appealing, in a way, but it's a Dropbox competitor more than a Drive one. If you discover something else that makes it that convenient to collaborate on documents in real-time, great. If you find something like that that's easy enough for non-geeks to use, all the better. If it's free to them, only then does it become practical for business use.

(Well, unless it became free to them through some other, pre-existing software purchase they've made. Wonder how Office 365 is panning out.)

Re Dropbox-like services: I would still want to back my shit up off-site. Unless you co-locate a server, OwnCloud isn't doing that for you. I don't really know what the other viable, secure options for that shit are. Dropbox can decrypt your shit whenever they feel like it, which isn't really okay for anyone heavily invested in their privacy. IIRC, SpiderOak and Tarsnap can not, but I imagine they're both far more hassle to use.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #398 on: August 12, 2013, 12:06:56 PM »

I'm not in love with Mint but it may become my regular distro just by default.

Much as I love YAST, OpenSUSE has once again gotten all fucked up and I've been using Mint exclusively for about a week now.

And I just had to print something, and let me tell you something: I set up a wireless printer and it FUCKING WORKED.  No bullshit, no package fuckery, no infuriating third-party binary installers.  Mint supports my printer better than Windows 8 does.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #399 on: August 12, 2013, 04:02:21 PM »

Adding: we'll see just how cheerful I still am about Mint after I finish my first distribution upgrade.

On the one hand, I am nonplussed by Mint's naked fucking hostility toward the very IDEA of a simple distribution upgrade.

On the other hand, so far it doesn't seem like it's actually significantly HARDER to do one in Mint than Ubuntu.  You have to do a find/replace on some files in sources.list instead of a prompt popping up and offering to do it for you, but that appears to be the only real difference.

Sometimes I think maybe I'll try Arch next.

And then I think, yeah, THAT'LL remind me why I quit using Slackware and Gentoo.

Meantime, starting to consider switching my laptop to Xubuntu or something.  Ubuntu proper has gotten balls-ass slow.  Though it's possible that's just the result of umpteen upgrades since I got the already-pretty-long-in-the-tooth sucker back in '010.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22