Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 30

Author Topic: Street Fighter 4.  (Read 28074 times)

James Edward Smith

• CIS male, Albeist Scumbag
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Street Fighter 4.
« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2009, 03:58:48 PM »

No, but you can create games with private slots and then invite someone from your Windows LIVE friendslist.
Talk? Talk is for lovers, Merlin. I need a sword to be king.

patito

• kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 12, 2009, 04:02:19 PM »

Yeah, matchmaking is pretty counter intuitive on the whole thing, I am not a big fan of GfWL.

Envy

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 12, 2009, 04:30:52 PM »

Wonderful fights Geo and Patito.

James Edward Smith

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 12, 2009, 04:46:02 PM »

*flails around semi-robotically like a polygonal fighting game character*

Your burning soul has reminded me of my own need for justice. This was just the beginning!

*arm pump*

Saturn

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 12, 2009, 04:52:00 PM »

Yeah, matchmaking is pretty counter intuitive on the whole thing, I am not a big fan of GfWL.

nah, SF4 just does it stupidly.

Soul calibur, Blazblue,and even SFIIHD have goddamn lobbies where you can have multiple people in them who can watch the fight while waiting for their turn

James Edward Smith

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 13, 2009, 07:34:37 PM »

*sigh* I fucking hate Pubs who pick Akuma EVERY ROUND you play with them and refuse to switch off. Akuma is so lame, play other characters sometimes for fuck's sake. It seems like every middle of the road player who like, knows how to combo well enough and shit does this and it's really frickin' lame. I was playing this one guy today and for about 25 rounds he picked Akuma and then finally picked Ryu of all people once.

I mean, if you wanna play Dan or the 'gief all the time that's a different story. At least that would be funny.

Envy

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 13, 2009, 09:03:09 PM »

Hey back off Dan. Dan is amazing. So is Gief.. I picked akuma for the lols that one match. D:

James Edward Smith

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 13, 2009, 09:18:50 PM »

Well, I believe that's what I just said, Envy. Dedicated Dan and 'gief players are entertaining. I just find that picking Akuma over and over again is like playing Fox all the time in Smash Bros. Like, it's not like I can't beat Akuma, I can, it's just a totally lame character to solely play. Like, I'd seriously just prefer playing against Sagat all the time.

Envy

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 13, 2009, 09:45:18 PM »

TIGER! Also sorry I was very tired when I read that the first time though. After playing in championship today.. I have to agree.. Every other match was Ken, and Akuma.. Also alot of ragequit after Gief and Abel beat downs.

Rico

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 13, 2009, 10:03:59 PM »

Been getting fairly frequent random crashes going through arcade mode trying to unlock Seth.  No message or anything, just game running at full speed and then disappearing in half a second.

And then sometimes I can just play for hours at a time, so who knows.

James Edward Smith

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 13, 2009, 10:04:20 PM »

Well, I can understand butthurt after being 'giefed. I mean, everyone should fear the Red Cyclone, but being bested by him just proves that you suck at the game (like I do but I'm a noob) but Abel is a powerful and cool character. I get the impression that he would be pretty weak in older games due to his awful air game, but with is roll move and the fact that you have focus attacks and that shield that EX moves gives you, he seems very powerful as long as he's agressive.

I don't LOVE Rufus but he is funny and clearly very powerful. The other 3 new characters all seem like some of the best additions the game has seen for a long time. Viper's not that complex, but her specials chain together in a cool fashion and she can be very overwhelming sometimes. She's a good beginner character I think. El Fuerte is awesome, with his crazy speed and tricky dick moves.

They all seem great from a visual and character point of view. Abel as a sort of MMA fighter type guy seems like a very logical and necessary cast addition. Viper is a spy/specops character like so many characters have professed to be in the past, but she actually looks like one for once. Rufus is a funny jab at American culture so he's okay in my book. Fuerte is a great correction of R.Mika's retarded look and weak back story.

McDohl

• Pika-boo
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 14, 2009, 05:36:49 AM »

Viper got off at the wrong bus stop.  She was supposed to get off at King of Fighters.  :nyoro~n:

James Edward Smith

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 14, 2009, 09:56:16 AM »

I was playing against some guy from Quebec late last night and I dunno if it was because our connection was awful or his PC was awful, but for whatever reason the whole time I was playing with him the game was running in suuuuuuuppppppeeerrr         sssslllllllllooooowwwwmmmmmmmoooooo. It was too hilarious for some reason and I actually played through two full rounds with him like that and we both readied the second time as fast as we could.

It turns out that when the game is moving at one 10th it's normal speed, I become this amazingly unbeatable SF4 tactician. I beat his Abel with El Fuerte with a dazzling super combo finish and then narrowly beat his Sagat with Abel with an ultra finish.

I would like to note two things though:

- Yesturday was the first time I realized the left shoulder and trigger buttons on the xbox controller are assigned to all three punch and all three kick buttons respectively making ultra execution a lot more practical.  :nyoro~n:

- I finally realized what a dragonpunch motion actually is and can do it easier than a fireball now.  :nyoro~n: :nyoro~n:

In my defence on that last one, the first time I ever saw the symbol representation of a dragonpunch motion in a gaming magazine, it must have been totally wrong because it was definately the first picture I've attached to this where as in SF4 I have found that the much easier motion in the second image is actually what works, works everytime, and is way easier to do.

Kayin

• Akzidenz Grotesk
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • I Wanna Be The Guy
« Reply #53 on: July 14, 2009, 10:06:05 AM »

Gotta disagree on Viper being a good beginner character. She needs to work her butt off to do any sort of damage or use her mixups in any sort of good way. Rush punches will only go so far. :(

As for shoryuken inputs, actually your first image is 'right' geo. But SF4 has tons of little 'shortcuts' you can do instead. One of the easiest ways to SRK actually is to just double tap downforward. Diagonal-diagonal Punch! It's a little silly, but can be nice!

Saturn

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 14, 2009, 10:10:15 AM »

James Edward Smith

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 14, 2009, 10:19:30 AM »

Oh also, I bought the cheapo MadKatz stick over the super expensive tourney fag one because I figure there's no sense in a noob like me getting the fancy pants one, but the joystick is "square gated". At first I thought this was a factory fuckup, like they forgot to put the round part in or something but now I've found out that it's just a kind of joystick. However, while I'm a little less pissed off now... how the fuck do I do a fireball motion on this thing, it feels really awkward.

Also, forgive my inexperience on the Viper call. I just find her moves easier to do in rapid sucession than a lot of other peoples. I mean, looking at it now with even just a little more experience, Ryu and Ken look like better beginner characters because it seems like you can combo into a fireball, hurricane kick or dragonpunch with just about any move or sequence of moves.

Saturn

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 14, 2009, 10:27:19 AM »

Takes some getting used to because most of us are familar with western arcade machines which use different buttons (which is how my new stick is fucking me up) and either have round or octagonal gates

one thing which is nice with the cheapo is that all the wires have quick-disconnects so replacing the stick or buttons is extremely quick and easy, so if you want, you can effectively make it the same as the TE version (you may want to as i've heard the parts on the cheapo one are prone to fucking up)

Kayin

• Akzidenz Grotesk
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • I Wanna Be The Guy
« Reply #57 on: July 14, 2009, 10:46:28 AM »

No Geo, I will never forgive you! :enraged:

Yeah, upgrading a cheapo is pretty work if you ever feel like spending some dollar on better equipment. Much better then trying to upgrade a Hori Ex2 (but not the Hori Real Arcade Ex! But at that price, what would you upgrade?).

One of the things to realize with the stick if you don't have to hit the corner to register a DF. Japanese style sticks are darn sensitive. I haven't played on a cheapo madcatz but you SHOULD be able to feel the microswitches click as you play. So if you fiddle with it you should see how little motion it takes to trigger the direction as opposed to motion required to hit the gate.

So pretty much just flick your wrist in a QCFish direction with no regard for the gate. Just use the gate for stuff like quickly blocking DF (you'd be surprised how tricky that can be on a circular gate).

Envy

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 14, 2009, 05:47:32 PM »

:mahboi: Geo your learning good. You ultra'd right through my fireball.  :perfect:

Kayin

• Akzidenz Grotesk
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • I Wanna Be The Guy
« Reply #59 on: July 14, 2009, 06:06:22 PM »

That sounds like you had sex or something.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 30