Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

Author Topic: Futurama  (Read 15628 times)

Ziiro

• Inquiry?
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Into The Wild Green Yonder
« Reply #80 on: June 22, 2010, 09:56:15 AM »

I still need to catch up on 3/4 movies before watching the new episodes. I've only seen Bender's Big Score.

Niku

• MEAT
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 22, 2010, 09:59:19 AM »

I watched it thirty-five minutes ago.

wait what do you mean there's no ozymandias emoticon

son of a bitch i waited thirty-five minutes just to make that joke

(it's pretty good)

http://brontoforum.us/index.php?topic=353.400
i'm a blog now, blogs are cool: a fantastic machine made of meat

TA

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 22, 2010, 10:08:26 AM »

It's quite good!

I was thinking that [spoiler]they'd just keep Robot Leela for the remainder of the series, and just remind us that she's a robot from time to time when it would be relevant[/spoiler], but guess not.
Do you understand how terrifying the words “vibrating strap on” are for an asexual? That’s like saying “the holocaust” to a Jew.

Niku

• MEAT
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 22, 2010, 10:56:27 AM »

I was thinking the same thing, really.

Fredward

• a romantic soul
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 22, 2010, 07:51:39 PM »

good enough make me forget the movies?
Quote from: Brentai
It's never easy to tell just where the line is between physical malady and the general crushing horror of life itself.

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #85 on: June 30, 2010, 09:41:01 PM »

I read an interview with Cohen last week (think it was AV Club) where he said yeah, the movies had issues, and that the main problem was that they had to be movies that could be split up into episodes every 22 minutes -- that they'd have worked better as either movies OR episodes, and that having to pace them as both hurt them.

I'm inclined to agree; the last two in particular felt awfully episodic.

I still stand by the claim that Bender's Big Score was the best -- it didn't have as many laughs as Beast, but it was a straight up SMART time-travel story.

Anyway.  Show back to being episodic; works better that way.  The first two eps were a bit shaky (the first better than the second), but worked out pretty well and showed real promise for the rest of the season.

And given that last week's Thursday night was the strongest Thursday night in the history of Comedy Central, I don't think we have to worry about the constant threat of cancellation anymore.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.

(PS: Retitled thread.  We are no longer talking about Wild Green Yonder.)

McDohl

• Pika-boo
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Futurama
« Reply #86 on: July 01, 2010, 06:30:47 AM »

So, who's jazzed about tonight?

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #87 on: July 02, 2010, 06:59:06 PM »

WOW.  If ever a TV episode provided a more perfect metaphor for itself than "fetid pool of goat vomit", I haven't seen it.

I think it's safe to say that writer Patric M. Verrone has seized the crown of "most hated episode" from previous record holder That's Lobstertainment!, by writer Patric M. Verrone.

(Oddly, he also wrote The Sting, one of the best episodes, and classics such as A Clone of One's Own.  He's nothing if not inconsistent!)

Fredward

• a romantic soul
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 02, 2010, 10:36:20 PM »

I am not even ready to start comparing the new episodes to the old, as only the premiere has been comparable thus far. Numbers 2 and 3 were both pretty insipid. "In-a-blergh-da-ba-bleela" started with a few strong jokes, but Brannigan's flagrant disregard for the Rule of Three, along with... nearly everything that happened after they crashed left me unimpressed and a little gassy.

I have high hopes, though, so long as the next episode does not focus on Freela. Three in a row is too much as it is.
It's never easy to tell just where the line is between physical malady and the general crushing horror of life itself.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #89 on: July 03, 2010, 08:06:21 PM »

Pretty much that.  The premiere was decent, not the best but perfectly serviceable; In-a-Gadda had some good moments but didn't work on the whole, and Killer App...look, I'm not a guy who just throws around the "worst episode ever" label; I honestly mean it.

But, as has been observed before, they ALWAYS kinda had an "every third episode is bad" thing going on, and frankly at this point there's nowhere to go but up.  Still optimistic about the rest of the season.

teg

• DONUTS GONNA' DON
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Teg's Dumb Art
« Reply #90 on: July 04, 2010, 11:37:00 AM »

Mothra

• ┐('~`;)┌ w/e
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 04, 2010, 11:44:40 AM »

Oh god, the second I realized this was by the guy who'd done That's Lobstertainment I kinda just clenched my teeth and hissed a ffffffffffffffffff

Where's Eric Kaplan when you need him?

Niku

• MEAT
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 04, 2010, 03:09:32 PM »

honestly I braced myself for something so terrible that it ended up not being as bad as I expected.  I mean, I'm not saying that it isn't the worst episode ever, but it still made me laugh a few times.

Fredward

• a romantic soul
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 08, 2010, 10:43:04 PM »

Wait a second. Wasn't this premise already explored? Except with copyright infringement rather than gay marriage as the modern day analogue?

Whatever. At least it was funny. And it didn't focus on Freela! I am pleased.

Also, [spoiler]first Lucy Liu, now Amy Wong? Bender got some yellow fever goin down, that's fo sho.[/spoiler]

Misha

• Pro-Choice
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 08, 2010, 10:44:21 PM »

i feel like now that they're trying to do episodes about topical shit it's going severely downhill. I want my episodes about people being their own grandfathers and giant brains and fucking holophoner operas back.

Fredward

• a romantic soul
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 08, 2010, 10:48:41 PM »

Topicality was not exactly unheard of in the original episodes, and this has only been two (albeit, two in a row). I'm more concerned with how the show seems to be going on fast-forward all the time. Old episodes, you could actually appreciate a sight gag without pausing your damn television computer box.

Or perhaps I am just getting old! Who knows.

Mothra

• ┐('~`;)┌ w/e
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 09, 2010, 06:32:59 AM »

No, that's definitely something I've found off-putting about the show since it came back. They're trying to compensate for the quality of the humor with the quality, and it feels kinda rushed and awkward. I'm hoping this is just the writer.

I remind you this is exactly what happened to Family Guy and it was The Worst Thing

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #97 on: July 10, 2010, 11:44:42 AM »

Topicality was not exactly unheard of in the original episodes, and this has only been two (albeit, two in a row).

Gay marriage is a lot less keyed to a specific moment in time than, say, Susan Boyle, though.  The only thing that REALLY dated this ep was the "stormclouds" ad -- I think the rest will (sadly) still be relevant in a decade.

I'm more concerned with how the show seems to be going on fast-forward all the time. Old episodes, you could actually appreciate a sight gag without pausing your damn television computer box.

Unless it was in Alienese.

Anyway!  I liked this one okay, but yeah, pretty much the same premise as the Lucy Liu one.

And the "crusader against deviants is actually a total perv himself" gag worked way better here than when they did the same joke two weeks ago.

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 10, 2010, 11:47:31 AM »

Basically it just feels like they've steered the show in the same direction as The Simpsons.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #99 on: July 10, 2010, 11:49:00 AM »

What, just because every single "the Professor is old" joke in that episode had already been done for either Grampa or Mr. Burns?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8