Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8

Author Topic: Futurama  (Read 15629 times)

Lady Duke

• Shiny Ranger
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Futurama
« on: February 11, 2009, 04:50:13 PM »

...So apparently the newest Futurama movie is already online?  It's called Into the Wild Green Yonder or something.

Bal

• Cheerful in the face of nuclear armageddon
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Into The Wild Green Yonder
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2009, 05:12:46 PM »

I have it torrenting at the moment. /co/ is abuzz, but I've avoided spoilers myself.

Royal☭

• Supreme Court Judge President
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2009, 06:33:19 PM »

If you find a decent torrent of Wild Green Yonder that doesn't have a balls seed:leech ratio, do share.

Bal

• Cheerful in the face of nuclear armageddon
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2009, 08:51:50 PM »

Just finished watching it. I enjoyed it at least as much as the others.

torrent

Royal☭

• Supreme Court Judge President
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2009, 06:50:35 PM »

Wild Green Yonder is the ending the series has needed for years.  A bit rushed towards the very end, but very satisfying.

Also, it makes Bender's Game look even more like filler.

Arc

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Into The Wild Green Yonder
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2009, 02:16:05 PM »

:negative: The series never needed an ending, as it should never end!

Too bad the biggest marketing efforts for these movies come from the leaked files, time and time again.

Kazz

• Projekt Direktor
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2009, 04:02:21 PM »

[spoiler]Tacked-on Fry/Leela love plot, the Society of Mad People or whatever was tedious as hell, Leo Wong was a terrible villain... all in all, many funny gags mired in the swamp of obligatory "plot."[/spoiler]

The "episodic" structure of the films really grinds on me.  I sort of wish they'd have written the thing like a movie; extended tangents about things like [spoiler]Fanny[/spoiler] get irritating when they amount to nothing in the grand scheme.

At least there weren't songs.

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2009, 04:40:51 PM »

[spoiler]Tacked-on Fry/Leela love plot, the Society of Mad People or whatever was tedious as hell, Leo Wong was a terrible villain... all in all, many funny gags mired in the swamp of obligatory "plot."[/spoiler]

And yet you have described movies consisting of a bunch of disconnected gags with no plot as your least favorite kind.  Ho hum.

Each movie served its place -- BBS was a dense, complex, smart and internally consistent time-travel story, BBB was a laugh-out-loud funny series of gags on top of a thin plot consisting of a little bit of Lovecraft and a whole lot of Heinlein, BG was a huge departure from anything the series had ever done before, and WGY ended the series just the way the fans wanted it.

...of course, it's obligatory at this point to remind everybody to buy the damn thing if you ever want to see any more new Futurama.

Disposable Ninja

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2009, 04:57:58 PM »

I'm not sure if I do, honestly. I mean, I always thought "The Devil's Hands are Idle Playthings" was a pretty decent ending to the series; Fry holophoning a crude projection of him and Leela holding hands into the sunset was just sappy enough to always get me a little choked up.

And so BBS was incredibly disappointing, if only because the writers weren't willing to let them be together and instead continuing that will-they-won't-they bullshit. And even though at the end of BBS Fry had achieved the maturity that it took Lars 12 years or so to get, they kept on going with the bullshit in BBB and the polyamorous girl. If there are more DVD Movies, they'll all likely keep ending implying that Fry and Leela finally fall in love.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2009, 05:09:00 PM »

The problem is that, on one hand, when you resolve the romantic tension between your leads, the series inevitably loses something, but on the other, you can't keep it going forever without ANY kind of resolution.  X-Files is the most obvious example of this I can think of; the "For God's sake, just fuck already" meeting the "Well, what the hell's the point if they DO?"  (Or, even aside from the sexual undertones, Scully-as-skeptic became fucking ludicrous after the first half-dozen seasons of seeing crazy shit every week, but of course the show couldn't work without the skeptic/believer dynamic.)

That said, I'd like to see more Futurama; the writers got us this far and can still deliver a satisfying product.

Disposable Ninja

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2009, 05:17:16 PM »

Yeeeeeah, Futurama passed the "For God's sake, just fuck already" threshold long before the show even ended, and I don't think it would have lost any of it's fun or charm by letting Fry and Leela actually be together.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2009, 05:20:56 PM »

Afterthought: backing up a bit:

The "episodic" structure of the films really grinds on me.  I sort of wish they'd have written the thing like a movie; extended tangents about things like [spoiler]Fanny[/spoiler] get irritating when they amount to nothing in the grand scheme.

I'd say that's an interesting contrast between the first two movies and the last two; IIRC the first two worked pretty seamlessly when watched all the way through, whereas the episode breaks in the last two were much more glaring.

Now that the "season" is complete, I'm interested to see how splitting them up affects the pacing of the last two movies.  My guess is positively.

This may be by design -- if Futurama DOES come back, it's up in the air at this point what the format will be, whether back to an episodic format or continuing the movie format, and this way they've laid the groundwork for both.

• Magic Gunner Miss Blue
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2009, 05:57:31 PM »

I simply can't buy movies on DVD. Money's too tight to spend $25 on what amounts to one 'thing' when $25 can get several 'things' elsewhere.

Any word on a movie box set? I liked Bender's Big Score, and I don't want to download it because hey, it's Futurama, but again, the above thing.

Arc

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2009, 05:59:47 PM »

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2009, 08:39:57 PM »

I simply can't buy movies on DVD. Money's too tight to spend $25 on what amounts to one 'thing' when $25 can get several 'things' elsewhere.

Hey, I'm not gonna condemn; I haven't bought any of them yet myself.  (Rented two of them, though, so that counts for a little, at least.)  I was unemployed for a long time and couldn't justify a lot of entertainment spending, but now that I have a bit of disposable income this is a high priority.

Spend the money if you've got it, don't if you don't.

Lady Duke

• Shiny Ranger
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2009, 09:02:13 PM »

I didn't read anybody else's replies because I'm just too lazy at the moment.

I thought the relationship blossoming all of a sudden between Leela and Fry was rather ridiculous and rushed.  The movie basically starts with them in this sort of flirting period, which we never saw, and all of a sudden they're all in love.  Sorry, what?  Did I totally miss something?  Oh yes, you didn't make it in a film.  That's right.

Of the 4 movies, it's the second best in my opinion.  The Beast with a Billion Backs is just my favorite.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2009, 10:00:52 PM »

...I'd say it flowed pretty naturally from Devil's Hands and Big Score.

Kazz

• Projekt Direktor
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2009, 10:07:43 PM »

And yet you have described movies consisting of a bunch of disconnected gags with no plot as your least favorite kind.  Ho hum.

Aaaand in the above quote, I describe the plot as disappointing and thin (especially given how much attention it received).  Almost as though it wasn't there.

I contradict myself often, but I don't think that's the case this time.

Lady Duke

• Shiny Ranger
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2009, 10:17:23 PM »

...I'd say it flowed pretty naturally from Devil's Hands and Big Score.

So how many relationships have you been in where it went straight from "There's no chance of a relationship" to suddenly "Omg, we're basically dating now."

Kazz

• Projekt Direktor
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2009, 10:31:03 PM »

re: show continuing

the simpsons.

that is all.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8