Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12

Author Topic: Spam  (Read 30280 times)

François

• Huh.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Spam
« Reply #200 on: November 15, 2012, 02:15:50 AM »

Wow, yeah, thanks for the links, that's definitely what was going on. Honestly my best guess at the time was that the woman who called me might have been some unfortunate Haitian immigrant set up in Montréal being forced to do that sort of thing by an abusive boyfriend or something, but I'm not gonna put a lot of stock in my ability to identify foreign English accents; the call coming from India does make more sense.

Given the following exchange from the comments in the first article...
"Look, do you actually get anyone with this scam?"
"Yes, except you are stupid and a fool."
"Alright man, I wish you better luck with your future scams. Have a great afternoon."
"Shut up you fool."
...I think I would find myself much less inclined to be too nice if it was to happen to me again. Man, you just failed to rob someone, might as well be polite about it at least.

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #201 on: November 15, 2012, 10:06:44 AM »

I'm sure there are scams like that running throughout the developing world.

Found another good one in the series: “Can you fix my Windows 95 computer?”: How to troll a tech support scammer

Scammer: In our London office we have got a server and, in that server we keep track of all the IP addresses, and if those IP addresses, if any of the IP addresses blinks in red that gives us an indication that there might be online malware infections that are in the system.

Russell: Let me get this straight. You've got servers in your head office which are connected to every computer in the country, and any time somebody has a piece of malware, you get a little flashing light.

On the lighter side, one reddit poster named aveilleux really wanted a tech support scammer to call him. Waiting for such an occasion, he had prepared an unpatched Windows 2000 virtual machine and a flash drive filled with viruses. After toying with the scammer by pretending not to know what a keyboard was, he let the "technician" take remote control over the system. He put the viruses in an archive titled "bank_data.zip" and put some you-will-want-to-scoop-your-eyes-out pictures from a notorious subreddit into a file called "passwords.zip." He recounts what happens next:

Naturally, the guy at the other end of the line grabs passwords.zip and bank_data.zip and uploads them to a fileshare server. (Why he didn't just use the LogMeIn VPN is beyond me.) I make a note of the deletion links. This takes maybe 45 minutes (I have a fast connection). After that's done, he snags some files from \WINNT\ (to grab registration info and such; of course, the system's data is all incorrect). I get a call from Jason [the scammer].

"Okay, Mister aveilleux. We have all the information we need and we'll be back in touch with you if we need anything."

"Thanks much, Jason. I hope you enjoy my data as much as I did."

"I'm sorry?"

"Never mind. Goodbye!"

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: November 18, 2012, 10:46:57 PM »

Okay, this may be the oddest spam I've ever gotten:

Olga Marcasciano olgamarcas@gmail.com

7:59 PM (5 hours ago)

to me
Hi Mary,
Here is the recipe for Carol's Spiced Yams:

4 Lbs. yams
3/4 Cup unsalted butter at room temp
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
pinch of cloves
Salt and pepper to taste

Make slits in yams.  Bake at 400° for 1 1/4 hours.  Let cool 20 minutes.  Scoop out pulp.  Mix and mash with all ingredients.  Bake at 350° for 1 hour.

We will definitely have to get together with the girls and the dogs after T-day.  Happy Thanksgiving!

Olga

There was also a .jpg of a small terrier in a ballcap and t-shirt, but no links or URLs.

:wat:

I mean, it SEEMS like it could just be a "wrong number", but geez, my email address isn't exactly one that you might type by accident.

Bongo Bill

• Dinosaurcerer
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: November 19, 2012, 01:59:36 AM »

My guess would be that their strategy is to mass send innocuous-looking emails, then add everyone who replies to a list of recipients for slightly more targeted spam. It might circumvent spam filters which use a heuristic like "Email coming from an address that the user has contacted should probably not be blocked."
...but is it art?

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #204 on: November 19, 2012, 10:04:54 AM »

Could be.

Also, was the jpg an attachment, or off-site?

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: November 19, 2012, 10:51:12 AM »

Attached in the body (i.e. I didn't click on an attachment - gmail just displayed it).

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: November 19, 2012, 11:34:12 AM »

Bongo's got it.  Establishing a "prior business relationship" is a cornerstone to not only bypassing filters, but also to establishing a legal sliphole if the victim starts complaining.  Any authority who's paying attention should be able to notice that telling someone in the first place doesn't construe a business relationship, but the spammers sort of thrive on people who aren't paying attention.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: November 19, 2012, 11:36:19 AM »

Well, at least we all got a sweet recipe for mashed yams out of it. 

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: November 19, 2012, 01:14:42 PM »

Seems pretty mundane to me.

Bongo Bill

• Dinosaurcerer
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: November 19, 2012, 01:50:30 PM »

Yams are usually on the sweet spectrum, and nothing in this recipe appears to overpower it, so he is correct in a technical sense: the most important one.
...but is it art?

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: November 19, 2012, 02:20:59 PM »

Just the other day I was saying I should make some sweet potato fries. It's a sign!

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: November 19, 2012, 02:36:06 PM »

4 Lbs. yams
9-10 large eggs, beaten
3/4 Cup unsalted butter at room temp
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
pinch of cloves
Salt and pepper to taste
3/4-1 C pecan halves
Maple syrup to taste

Make slits in yams.  Bake at 400° for 1 1/4 hours.  Let cool 20 minutes.  Scoop out pulp.  Mix and mash with all ingredients.  Bake at 350° for 40 minutes or until set. Top with pecans and return to oven 20 minutes, or until pecans are toasted. Drizzle with maple syrup.

I did what I could.

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: November 19, 2012, 02:40:54 PM »

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: November 19, 2012, 03:22:40 PM »

Well, see. Now we got an even BETTER recipe for mashed yams.

Ted Belmont

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: December 04, 2012, 08:29:48 AM »

Greetings!

We have already noted that you are trying to sell your personal World of Warcraft or Diablo III account.
Terms of Use

It will be ongoing for further investigation by Blizzard Entertainment's employees.
If you wish to not get your account suspended you should immediately verify your account ownership. You must complete the steps below to secure the account and your computer.

STEP 1: ACCOUNT INVESTIGATION
We now provide a secure website for you to verify that you have taken the appropriate steps to secure the account, your computer, and your email address. Please go to this site and follow the instructions:
SPAM LINK

STEP 2: VERIFY YOUR SUBMISSION WAS RECEIVED
We will contact you with further instructions once we have received and processed your submission. If you do not receive a reply within 48 hours of submitting this form, please resend it from the address listed above.

Please be aware that if unauthorized access to this account, it may lead to further action against the account.

Fare Thee Well,

Game Master Dunarthra
Customer Services
Blizzard Entertainment

Who knew Blizzard customer support would use yahoo email?

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: December 04, 2012, 10:15:20 AM »

"Fare Thee Well"

:glee:

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #216 on: December 08, 2012, 11:37:55 AM »

More on the FTC takedown of some of the major "Windows Support" scam groups.  tl;dr yet another case of scammers not being very good at realizing when they're being scammed themselves.

Cthulhu-chan

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: December 08, 2012, 11:22:17 PM »

Having had to deal with a large number of these jokers, I can honestly state they haven't two brain cells to rub together amongst the lot of them.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #218 on: December 23, 2012, 09:53:28 AM »

Reply-to: <captanthonyjohn1@[...].ua>
To: undisclosed-recipients : ;
Subject: GREETINGS;

GREETINGS;

I am sorry to encroach into your privacy in this manner, I found your name listed in the Trade Center Chambers of Commerce directory here in Iraq, I find it pleasurable to offer you my partnership in business. I only pray this time that your address is still valid. I want to solicit your attention to receive money on my behalf.
 I am Capt. John Anthony, an officer in the US Army, i am one of the U.S. Army deployed to Iraq in the beginning of the war in 2003, and also a West Point Graduate presently serving in the Military with the 82nd Air Borne Division Peace keeping force in Baghdad, Iraq. I am on the move to Afghanistan from Iraq as the last batch just left, and i really need your help in assisting me with the safe keeping of two military trunk boxes which has just arrived the USA from Iraq. I hope you can be trusted?
Though, I would like to hold back certain information for security reasons for now until you have found time to visit the BBC website news below to enable you have insight regarding what I intend to share with you, believing that it would be of your desired interest in one way or the other. Here is a BBC news listing that confirms what I want to share with you http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/2988455.stm.

Here is also BBC news listing that confirms what I want to share with you http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/7444083.stm if you can be trusted, I will explain further when i get a response from you.
Get back to me having visited the above websites to enable us discuss in a more vivid manner to the best of your understanding? I must say that I'm very uncomfortable sending this message to you without knowing truly if you would misconstrue the importance and decide to go public.

In this regards, I will not hold back to say that the essence of this letter is strictly for mutual benefit of you and I and nothing more. I will be more vivid and coherent in my next email in this regards. Meanwhile, could you send me a mail confirming you have visited the site and understood my intentions? Am standing by for your urgent response now that we are leaving Iraq to Afghanistan.

Yours faithfully,

Best regards.
Capt Anthony John
US ARMY

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #219 on: February 05, 2013, 01:01:01 PM »