Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 42

Author Topic: Movies for Home Viewing  (Read 46957 times)

Royal☭

• Supreme Court Judge President
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Movies for Home Viewing
« Reply #40 on: February 01, 2008, 10:04:09 PM »

Finally watched Annie Hall and am sending it off tomorrow.  It's such a good film, and makes me like High Fidelity a little less for completely ripping it off.

Malenkaya

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 02, 2008, 02:12:10 AM »

Ratatouille! Very :sadpanda: that I didn't see this movie earlier. It's cute without being too saccharine, very funny, and top-notch animation. I really liked the music, too.
Don't mind me, I'm just here for the vaguely Soviet aesthetic.

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2008, 10:17:02 PM »

King of Kong is a silly movie that you can point to any time anybody ever accuses you of taking video games too seriously.

I DID actually shout "HOLY FUCK!" when Wiebe managed to jump over two barrels which looked like they were nearly a Mario-length apart.  That makes me a huge nerd, but less of a nerd than almost anyone in the movie.

1up's story on Billy Mitchell is pretty good for some balance.  The movie DOES do some misleading things to make Mitchell seem more a villain than he actually is -- because frankly, it makes an essentially boring story about a very silly conflict seem more exciting.  Though, in fairness, the few seconds he IS actually onscreen in the same room as Wiebe, he IS an enormous tool, and that's not faked through editing.

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 18, 2008, 10:29:33 PM »

Hey, that is the same guy who got the perfect score on Pac-Man to annoy the Canadians.  Why are they making him the bad guy?

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #44 on: February 18, 2008, 10:42:00 PM »

They DO mention the perfect score on Pac-Man and his use of "USA" as his initials to annoy Canadians (separately).  He doesn't actually seem like such a bad guy for the first half-hour of the movie.  But they mostly make him out to be a villain for the rest of it, mostly through the omissions he details in the linked article, presumably to get you to sympathize more with Wiebe as the underdog.

Classic

• Happens more often than you'd think.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 19, 2008, 08:40:13 AM »

Classic hates all media that does not have people grunting a lot and talking about their power levels. However, a friend of his who does enjoy things that aren't incredibly stupid has a netflix account, which has been used lately to show his circle (which includes Classic) the Dexter from showtime.

It's a show about a sociopath and his relationship with his almost equally mad but deceased foster father. What's not to love?

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #46 on: February 25, 2008, 09:16:18 AM »

New Frontier is out tomorrow; MySpace has a clip:

It's one of the better Wonder Woman bits from the book, and Superman is looking very Fleischer-y.

Royal☭

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 25, 2008, 05:32:30 PM »

Rented "Enron: Smartest Guys in the Room" which illustrates both what is good and bad about documentaries.  Though the actual film was merely so-so, the subject matter interested me enough to keep watching. 

EmaWii

• Tested
    • View Profile
    • Game Blog
« Reply #48 on: February 27, 2008, 12:20:11 PM »

I watched The Prestige last night. For some reason I didn't realize it had Hugh Jackman, Scarlett Johansson AND David Bowie, not to mention Christian Bale. But yeah, Bowie...that was a trip. He plays Nikola Tesla. Anyways, it was a good movie. Some people didn't like when it [spoiler]started straying a bit into science fiction[/spoiler] but I thought it was fun. The end was pretty intense. Lots of crazy twists, albeit forseeable if you're paying good attention.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #49 on: March 05, 2008, 09:29:23 PM »

New Frontier is excellent.  I never read the last half of the comic, but I can at least vouch that in the first half, they kept all the best bits (Wonder Woman in Vietnam, J'onn turning into Groucho and Bugs Bunny, Batman's comparison of the relative weaknesses of the two aliens), and the parts they cut still got decent allusions.

It's a tight story clocking in at a mere 75 minutes, and has a huge cast, but Hal, J'onn, Superman, Wonder Woman, Batman, Flash, Flagg, Faraday, Lois, and Carol all get enough screen time to be well fleshed-out, and cameos by Green Arrow, Aquaman, Ray Palmer, and Jimmy Olsen are good fun.  The closing montage has more characters and teams than you can shake a stick at.

Far, far better than Doomsday, but then, so was the source material.

Interested to see how Batman: Gotham Knight turns out.  Much less interested in Teen Titans: The Judas Contract.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #50 on: March 21, 2008, 11:34:53 PM »

You'll be hard-pressed to find a better pair of leading men than Denzel Washington and Russell Crowe, and their outstanding performances make up for the glaring flaws in American Gangster.

While each gives a nuanced performance of a complex character -- Washington's not altogether evil, and Crowe's hardly a saint --, that complexity clashes with the incredibly ham-handed use of symbolism through the movie.  One scene cuts from Washington saying grace at Thanksgiving dinner to a junkie dying of an overdose on his heroin, and it's not enough that we SEE Crowe philandering even as he tries to pass himself off as a boy scout, it has to be discussed in dialogue just in case the audience doesn't notice.  Washington's choice to get heroin directly from southeast Asia rather than deal with a middleman is foreshadowed not once but TWICE in dialogue about how the direct market is cutting out small businessmen.  And while he plays a nuanced villain who you can relate to, you know who the REAL villains in the movie are, because they shoot dogs and use words like "nigger" and "kike".

Not to say it's a bad movie.  The two leads' game of cat-and-mouse is well-played, particularly for the fact that they don't appear onscreen together until the end of the film.  The historical aspect is intriguing, and the Animal House ending that tells what happened to everybody in the end has some statistics that blew me away.  (I watched the extended version of the movie, which follows that ending with an epilogue, which puts the pacing off a bit.)

All in all, a decent film with great acting, but I don't think Scott's directorial skill is what it once was.

Cannon

• Hopes for a great many things
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 21, 2008, 11:57:42 PM »

I'm late in regards to New Frontier, but I think I'll toss out some idle thoughts as I'm wont to do.

I was sorry to see John Henry's story (among others) be reduced to a newscast, but it's not like the flick was ruined because of it. The voice casting was fantastic, and I feel like rewinding and watching [spoiler]King Farraday's death by t-rex-related kamikaze[/spoiler] another half-dozen times. I found the two-disc edition to be rather meaty; there's a mythic analysis of the Legion of Doom narrated by Malcolm McDowell (though there were times, like when the comic nerd in me wanted to jab my finger in the air and yell to no one in particular that "Hey! Captain Cold is not a smarty! He's a lucky hood with a gimmick!"), and in the interviews and commentaries, there are nice little tidbits such as what the Center symbolized (yeah, Darwyn Cooke, I didn't grasp the obvious, either). If I have any hopes for the movie, it's that it'll sell well and raise awareness of the Green Lantern mythology.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 22, 2008, 07:16:42 AM »

You'll be hard-pressed to find a better pair of leading men than Denzel Washington and Russell Crowe, and their outstanding performances make up for the glaring flaws in American Gangster.

While each gives a nuanced performance of a complex character -- Washington's not altogether evil, and Crowe's hardly a saint --, that complexity clashes with the incredibly ham-handed use of symbolism through the movie.  One scene cuts from Washington saying grace at Thanksgiving dinner to a junkie dying of an overdose on his heroin, and it's not enough that we SEE Crowe philandering even as he tries to pass himself off as a boy scout, it has to be discussed in dialogue just in case the audience doesn't notice.  Washington's choice to get heroin directly from southeast Asia rather than deal with a middleman is foreshadowed not once but TWICE in dialogue about how the direct market is cutting out small businessmen.  And while he plays a nuanced villain who you can relate to, you know who the REAL villains in the movie are, because they shoot dogs and use words like "nigger" and "kike".

Not to say it's a bad movie.  The two leads' game of cat-and-mouse is well-played, particularly for the fact that they don't appear onscreen together until the end of the film.  The historical aspect is intriguing, and the Animal House ending that tells what happened to everybody in the end has some statistics that blew me away.  (I watched the extended version of the movie, which follows that ending with an epilogue, which puts the pacing off a bit.)

All in all, a decent film with great acting, but I don't think Scott's directorial skill is what it once was.

I actually have a copy of a full-length story/interview/op-ed peice on the real Frank Lucas. It's a REALLY interesting read. I can post it actually if anyone wants to read it, since the original article has long since been taken down/archived.

Hmmm, might as well.

EDIT: Never mind, it's way over the 25k character limit, so it'd take a couple of posts (can't attach an .rft or .txt). I'll make a new thread for it if anyone wants it, otherwise never mind. 

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #53 on: March 23, 2008, 10:47:18 PM »

Our story opens with a black-and-white spoof of a 1950's educational video.

It IS the 1950's, and in short order we're introduced to our protagonist, a lonely young boy who's about to make a very unconventional friend, straight out of the monster movies of the day.

But all is not well, as this friend, despite his gentle nature, is suppressing violent tendencies, and there are those who think of him as a monster.  And it just so happens that our hero is now living in very close proximity to an agent whose purpose is to bring the monster in.

This is a plot summary of not only The Iron Giant but also Fido, and I watched both of them within a 24-hour period.  On balance, I'd say Iron Giant is the better movie, but Fido is funny, and has a great, albeit small, cast.

Anyway.  I took way too long to see Iron Giant, and I doubt there's much to say about it that you guys don't already know.  A very good Brad Bird movie.

...And IM, I WOULD be interested in seeing that article.  Easiest thing would be just to upload it to some webspace, leastways if you have any.

Arc

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 24, 2008, 09:16:38 AM »

Frank Lucas: The Return of Superfly - Linked this a few months back. Looks like they tossed in a few graphics for the children since then.

His visual flair is as disciplined as ever, but his eye for nuance has been diminished since Gladiator. Which I'm fine with. If overt violence is the name of the game, then grab the audience by the throat from time to time but remember to give the images some damned weight.

Diving into the Director's Cut of Kingdom of Heaven last weekend, heads fly and torsos are cut in half with abandon, moving the film closer to the subject at hand. But the engagement with the audience just simply wasn't there. With American Gangster, Scott did happen upon a scene of consequence and gravity. Not in the lush jungles of Vietnam, but in the projects of New York. The paramedic extraction as a throng of enraged residents all but riot into the crime scene confirmed that Scott still understands legitimate danger and tension. If this understanding reared its head more often, questions of his renowned stature could vanish.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 24, 2008, 02:58:56 PM »

That's the one, must've got it from Arc in the first place. One of the best damn op-ed bios I ever read.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #56 on: March 25, 2008, 10:44:19 PM »

Thanks Arc.

Meanwhile:

AVP2 somehow manages to be worse than the first.  (I did not pay for this one; roomie torrented it.)  It's not even good mockery fodder; it's just so blah.  At first I was going to suggest it'd be perfect for Rifftrax, but the truth is it's just a pastiche of scenes from other, better bad movies.  It's like Planet Terror without the self-awareness, humor, or any redeeming qualities at all.

A Russian friend brought over Ivan Vasilevich menyaet professiyu, a vaguely Python-esque 1970's Russian film about a scientist who brings Ivan the Terrible to the present, and I thought it was awesome.  A truly great bad movie.  My roommate disagreed.

Ocksi

• Guy on a buffalo
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 29, 2008, 10:20:58 AM »

Thad is wrong because AVP2 had aliens fighting predators and a guy said get to the chopper so it was exactly what was advertised and entertaining enough on those grounds that shut up it wasn't bad.

Royal☭

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 03, 2008, 11:25:41 AM »

Rented Midnight Cowboy a few weeks ago, and it was fantastic.  Jon Voight struck the right notes as the naive Joe Buck, but it was Dustin Hoffman's Enrico "Ratzo" Rizzo that really made the film.  Immediately after viewing, I thought to myself "That was pretty good" and turned the film off.  It wasn't until later that night that the true effectiveness of the ending really hit me.  And the more I thought about it, the better the film got.  It's a fantastic movie, brilliantly directed and acted, so I recommend everyone check it out.

Arc

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 03, 2008, 01:21:34 PM »

I'm throwing a Grizzly Man party this weekend.

I'll be sure to serve brownies at the correct moment.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 42