Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 42

Author Topic: Movies for Home Viewing  (Read 73290 times)

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
Re: Movies for Home Viewing
« Reply #60 on: April 03, 2008, 11:42:26 PM »

I also coincidentally just rented Midnight Cowboy.

Jon Voight struck the right notes as the naive Joe Buck, but it was Dustin Hoffman's Enrico "Ratzo" Rizzo that really made the film.

There's a reason Hoffman gets top billing.  He's in a class by himself.

My grandmother's always compared it to Easy Rider, and I understand why: same year, each starring two up-and-comers who went on to become legends (well, three in the case of Easy Rider, with Jack Nicholson), both stories of the death of the American dream set against the backdrop of traveling across the country and the atmosphere of sex and drugs that characterized the era, filmed sparsely and with a small cast.  And of course they're both goddamn masterpieces.

I would add that the two leads had something of an Oliver Twist/Artful Dodger relationship.

I would also add that the only reason I can see why the movie was originally rated X (trivia: the only X-rated film ever to win Best Picture) was the very non-explicit gay sex scene (and almost equally non-explicit homosexual rape scene).  This Film is Not Yet Rated had quite a lot to say about the MPAA ratings board's bias toward male, hetero sexuality.  (Wikipedia says UA self-applied the rating after the MPAA offered an R, but doesn't cite a source.)

Going to have to let this one sit for awhile and give it some thought.  But I'll summarize by saying it's one of those classics that everybody should see.

Speaking of which, next one in the queue is The Godfather, which I have somehow gotten this far without seeing.

James Edward Smith

• CIS male, Albeist Scumbag
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 04, 2008, 07:48:52 AM »

I saw this movie Spun a few weekends ago. I wanna watch it again since I missed the beginning and had to do some work on something while I was watching it at some point and so it wasn't getting my full attention all the way through. But I feel like I saw enough of it to give it a recommendation, as long as you aren't tired of movies about addicts.

It's a cool flick, some comment I read on that imdb site or maybe somewhere else said that it "makes Snatch look slow cut" which I think is debatable, but yeah, go in expecting that feel. The movie is about a speed addict and it really tries to make you feel like he did. I say "feel like he did" because the movie was written by a guy who originally wanted to make a documentary about meth labs and dealers, so he spent a winter driving a meth cook around just like Jason's character in the movie. Whether he was using or using as heavily as the character in the movie I can't say, but it makes for a cool feeling and looking movie. It also works as a pretty fucking good deterrent towards the use of meth.

It's not Midnight cowboy, but it's a neat little experience with some great performances. I also appreciate how you like Jason's character and feel for him, but you never think that he's cool like say McGreggor's Renton in Trainspotting. He's an out of control junky, plain and simple and there's truly no hope for him as long as he's using.
Talk? Talk is for lovers, Merlin. I need a sword to be king.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #62 on: April 22, 2008, 01:38:10 PM »

And speaking of people who missed out on some of the great cartoons of the 1990's, I am finally and much-belatedly working my way through Gargoyles.

Two eps in and very impressed so far.  Great animation, cast, writing, and full orchestra.

Royal☭

• Supreme Court Judge President
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 22, 2008, 02:58:22 PM »

Gargoyles was a great show.  And once Disney realized what a hit they had on their hands, they went and queered it all up as fast as they could.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #64 on: April 23, 2008, 12:44:14 PM »

Gargoyles has taught me that before Giuliani cleaned up New York, cops wouldn't even show up if there was a machine gun fight in Central Park.

Classic

• Happens more often than you'd think.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 23, 2008, 12:46:54 PM »

What episode was this? Wasn't MAZA on the scene? That kid's got real spunk. Almost like she's got guardian angels or something.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #66 on: April 25, 2008, 11:06:51 PM »

Was part of the opening "Awakening" arc.  Part 4 if I'm not mistaken.

Yeah, she was there; she was the one getting shot at.  This continued until well after dawn, and even involved blowing up a shack.  No other police showed up.

Also, per episode 5: the most effective way to steal information from your competitors is to ship an entire castle over from Europe and rebuild it brick-by-brick on top of a New York skyscraper in order to awaken ancient mystical creatures who are possessed of free will and may or may not actually want to serve you.  Even if you have a private army and Evil Robot Thems at your disposal.

Ted Belmont

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 08, 2008, 04:06:20 PM »

Teeth is one of the most disturbingly funny movies I've seen in a long while. If it doesn't make you cringe, you don't have a penis. Or you're Friday.

(see what I did there)

Royal☭

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 08, 2008, 04:08:16 PM »

Arc

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 14, 2008, 11:17:31 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TrPwOrf4sM

I spied Taxi & The Terminal on one of the shelves. And where is VHS, which accounted for 70% of the inventory at the time? That isn't accurate to the '99/'00 era whatsoever! Codswallop!

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #70 on: May 18, 2008, 03:22:03 PM »

More useful lessons from Gargoyles:

There are multiple stone castles in New York City, within a short distance of each other.  They are highly flammable.

Lady Duke

• Shiny Ranger
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 02, 2008, 06:53:18 PM »

Kazz and I watched the Darjeeling Limited last night/early this morning.  It was a totally silly movie.  I'm a fan of Wes Anderson movies, so I enjoyed it, but I'd hardly recommend it if you don't like his movies.  It has a very meandering plot-line, not too much action, and all the characters just sort of go with the flow.  They aren't acting on plans, so much as letting things determine what they do.  Surely conditioning at its best.

The brothers are all really strange characters, and they spend half the movie on the train, the Darjeeling Limited.  They spend a lot of time telling each other secrets about one another and making strange pacts about rekindling their brotherhood.

(THAD EDIT: Splitmerged into this thread, because "I watched a movie!" is for current releases and this one's for rentals.  But I haven't always followed that rule myself; no biggie.)

Envy

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 02, 2008, 10:48:38 PM »

Renaissance was quite interesting to watch.

Royal☭

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 11, 2008, 11:14:42 AM »

I just watched Monster and was... disappointed.  For a film that was getting mad reviews and won an Academy Award for acting, I was surprised it was so by the numbers.  But I guess the main focus and draw of critical attention was the acting.  And Theron does a great job playing Aileen Wuornos, and she brings a lot to it.  In fact, all the attention that was leveled on her, it's downright charming that Christina Ricci actually does a better job.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #74 on: July 20, 2008, 11:36:49 PM »

Persepolis: more like this, please.

I never read the comic, but the movie strikes me as similar to Maus in the way that it uses simple, iconic art (in this case reminiscent of Peanuts, at least in the early scenes) to help cushion some pretty horrific subject matter.  (Marji's ordeals aren't on the same level as Vladek's, of course, but her uncle's execution and the war with Iraq are intense.)  The presentation is gorgeous -- when I say "more like this, please" I mean more black-and-white animated films for adults, and more straight-off-the-page comic adaptations.  I'd love to see Maus done in this style, or perhaps some of the stories from Love and Rockets -- though their art's a bit more detailed and would likely prove more costly to animate.  (Leaning more toward the latter definition than the former, I hope the Bone movies are this good.)

I watched the dub -- which, interestingly, had several of the same voices as the original recording -- and thought the voice acting was quite good.  I'd be interested in watching it again in the original French.

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: July 21, 2008, 07:37:06 AM »

Don't bother seeing Project Grizzly. I know there's gushing praise from Quentin Tarantino on the cover, but seriously. Let me summarize: it's a movie about a man who builds a bear-fighting suit and then never goes up against a bear. Heck, you only get to see him in the suit a couple of times anyway, and the best thing he tests it against is a swinging log trap. The rest of the movie is him in a buckskin jacket and red beret talking about knives and panoramic shots of canadian wilderness.

:wat: And the NFB subsidized this?

Dooly

• Who?
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 21, 2008, 11:14:51 PM »

Also, we already saw that on Outer Heaven.
:painful: :painful: :painful: :painful: :painful: :painful: :painful: :painful:
:painful: :painful: :painful: :painful: :painful: :painful: :painful:

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #77 on: August 02, 2008, 12:08:42 PM »

In Bruges is an over-the-top violent British black comedy with a heavy emphasis on witty dialogue (often delivered in wildly inappropriate situations).  It reminds me of Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels and Snatch, but with a much smaller cast and less reliance on MacGuffins.

I'm no longer disappointed that I missed it in the theater, but I also think it was well worth the rental.

On an unrelated Netflix note, I am now caught up with all the Gargoyles currently released on DVD.  I could find a torrent and grab the rest, but maybe I'll break for awhile and find something else.

Burrito Al Pastor

• Galatea is mai waifu
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 02, 2008, 07:03:36 PM »

Watched the first disc of the Andromeda Strain TV movie that came out earlier this year. Thus far, I'm enjoying it a lot, but I also have a long-standing affection for the book and Benjamin Bratt.

Still, it's a solid adaptation thus far; they've kept a lot of elements, but changed enough that you no longer feel confident you know where the story is going just because you've read the book.
I'm a heartbreaker... My name... Charles.

Royal☭

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 02, 2008, 09:02:43 PM »

Despite my best efforts, Drillbit Taylor worked its way past my cynical defenses and entertained me.  I know what probably comes to mind when hear the term "Owen Wilson comedy", but this manages to avoid making it a film about Owen Wilson hamming it up for the camera.  The teenage actors are actually really charming and engaging on their own, and a subtle influence from Freaks and Geeks seems obvious.  It probably won't change how you think about plot or characters, but it can at least entertain.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 42