Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 110

Author Topic: MTG  (Read 152882 times)

Misha

• Pro-Choice
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: MTG
« Reply #60 on: April 29, 2009, 06:55:29 AM »

the key difference between alara reborn and legends is that alara reborn isn't full of shitty cards

jsnlxndrlv

• Custom Title
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #61 on: April 29, 2009, 07:00:18 AM »

So the new set is 'Alara Reborn' and apparently EVERY card is gold-bordered (more than one color)?  I seem to recall they tried this ages ago only they called it LEGENDS.

I would believe this except every third Legends card I encountered was unfailingly Bog Rats.

Seriously, though, I kind of like Alara Reborn.  People keep shouting "power creep" but it seems to me they're just putting power into places it should be but hasn't been up to now.
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

MadMAxJr

• Tested
    • View Profile
    • RPG Q&A
« Reply #62 on: April 29, 2009, 07:04:59 AM »

The cosmic horror that is the WOTC marketing department will always find a way to keep the game interesting to at least 80%* of the Type 2 players salivating with each block.  Since they keep making sets illegal a handful of years down the line, they can keep retooling old ideas and make them seem new again. (Slivers in 2010!  Come on!)

*Totally not scientific number based on my register experience of 1 in 5 players saying 'This new set sucks, I quit!'
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt." - Bertrand Russell

Got questions about RPGs?

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 29, 2009, 07:15:19 AM »

jsnlxndrlv

• Custom Title
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #64 on: April 29, 2009, 08:05:54 AM »

Oh, hey, wow.  I forgot my first gold cards were from The Dark, not Legends.
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 29, 2009, 10:00:20 AM »

the key difference between alara reborn and legends is that alara reborn isn't full of shitty cards

Matter of opinion there, son.

Kashan

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 29, 2009, 10:23:25 AM »

No, everything gold in legends sucked, and that's pretty much a fact. Was there even one good gold card from that set?

Zaratustra

• what
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Zaratustra Productions
« Reply #67 on: April 29, 2009, 10:39:47 AM »

MadMAxJr

• Tested
    • View Profile
    • RPG Q&A
« Reply #68 on: April 29, 2009, 10:40:48 AM »

While not necessarily a good card, Nicol Bolas was fun as hell to play. (Yes, I am aware of the new one.)
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt." - Bertrand Russell

Cyan Prime

• a little queer
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 29, 2009, 10:45:19 AM »

Zombie Bidding is the greatest deck ever.  :perfect: :perfect:

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 29, 2009, 10:50:09 AM »

No, everything gold in legends sucked, and that's pretty much a fact. Was there even one good gold card from that set?

opinion

Also, the other side of that coin was: Who says Alara Reborn is full of a good cards? On the whole, it's a fairly weak set for the modern era.

EDIT: Thank you Zara.

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 29, 2009, 11:15:16 AM »

Goblin Bidding is the greatest deck ever.  :perfect: :perfect:

MadMAxJr

• Tested
    • View Profile
    • RPG Q&A
« Reply #72 on: April 29, 2009, 11:24:48 AM »

MTG only has 13 kinds of bear, according to gatherer (Get out of my search flagBEARers)

We have apparently many many more kinds of real bears.

Dammit man!  MAKE MORE BEARS!

François

• Huh.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 29, 2009, 11:41:20 AM »

While not necessarily a good card, Nicol Bolas was fun as hell to play. (Yes, I am aware of the new one.)

Nicol Bolas + Flame Whip = tap to make opponent discard his entire hand (also he takes 1 damage)
::D:

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 29, 2009, 12:17:45 PM »

Give the whip to a Shocker and you can keep doing it.

MadMAxJr

• Tested
    • View Profile
    • RPG Q&A
« Reply #75 on: April 29, 2009, 12:32:40 PM »

Nicol Bolas + Megrim = Good

Dragon Mage + Megrim + Underworld Dreams =  :lol:

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 29, 2009, 12:52:30 PM »

Give the whip to a Shocker and you can keep doing it.

Not to mention that the jokes were always a lot funnier with that particular combo.

yyler

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 29, 2009, 01:00:02 PM »

Do any of you guys use Magic Workstation? I don't really know anything about the cards past Mirrodin or so (not entirely sure where I stopped paying attention) but if you want we can play and I'll get my ass handed to me or something.

Kashan

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 29, 2009, 01:05:30 PM »

opinion

Also, the other side of that coin was: Who says Alara Reborn is full of a good cards? On the whole, it's a fairly weak set for the modern era.

EDIT: Thank you Zara.

If what you mean by good is "has an awesome name or awesome art" then you would be right that it's a matter of opinion.. Ramses Overdark and Tuknir Deathlock are pretty awesome names. If what you mean by good is "something that could might be played in a deck that is designed to win." then no, it's not a matter of opinion. The power of a card is objective, it may vary by environment, but it's objective. I just looked over all the gold cards from legends and Nebuchadnezzer, Rasputin Dreamweaver, Rubinia Soulsinger, and Gwendlyn Di Cordi are the only gold cards from that set that weren't straight up horrible, and none of them were ever actually good. There were some good single color cards in legends, but not gold cards.

MadMAxJr

• Tested
    • View Profile
    • RPG Q&A
« Reply #79 on: April 29, 2009, 01:25:13 PM »

I pretty much disregard any art prior to Tempest, when it became less REALLY BLAND FLAT COLORS, SHAPES, CONCEPTS, AND PEOPLE and more epic paintings of guys with swords vs. generic fantasy monster a, b, and/or c.

Burrowing a flying ship through a moon full of mana as a super-weapon?  Sign me up Legacy Weapon, you are neat in my book.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 110