Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress  (Read 10846 times)

jsnlxndrlv

• Custom Title
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Website title
Dwarf Fortress
« on: March 22, 2009, 11:38:18 PM »

We didn't have an actual Dwarf Fortress thread.

Ever since I found the Complete and Utter Newbie Tutorial for Dwarf Fortress, I've been wanting to take another crack at it.  I've built forts before, but the sheer enormity of the options available tended to induce paralysis on my part, and I was usually content to work my starving dwarves to death building a labyrinthine complex that I'd subsequently flood out of boredom.

This time I hunted for landscape that would look bitchin' in 3-D without being too overwhelmingly evil or sacrificing available wood, stone, and running water.  I found a calm stretch of forest that butted up against incredibly steep cliffs and which contained a stream; I set out on my expedition.

...and immediately got ripped in half by a cave spider.  Dwarf chunks everywhere.

By immediately conscripting my entire immigrant party, we managed to kill the beast, but three people lost legs in the encounter (one of whom would die of thirst pretty rapidly).  With the immediate threat taken care of, I surveyed the territory.

The most obvious feature was the enormous fissure I started out next to.

As you can see, the two bisected dwarves are still lying where they fell, possibly because I only have four healthy dwarves to get the fort up and running, and everyone with health care active has more important things to do.

What's really great, though, is where the fissure runs part-way up the side of a mountain.

The fortress itself isn't very big, yet; it's exactly the same as the fortress described in the guide linked above, so far, except rotated 90 degrees.  With a third of my starting group invalidated, it's been kind of slow going.

In any case!  Play Dwarf Fortress!  Tell me of your trials and tribulations!
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

Zaratustra

• what
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Zaratustra Productions
Re: Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2009, 11:47:00 PM »

I think dwarven corpses are marked as forbidden now until you set them to be acquirable. This is to avoid the whole population of the fort rushing to grab the body of a dwarf killed by a dragon while said dragon is still next to it.

Norondor

• Where I'm at is: Fuck you, get shot
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2009, 11:49:38 PM »

It's at least true in the copy that comes with the ultimate newbie's guide, which i am working through.

jsnlxndrlv

• Custom Title
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2009, 02:55:40 PM »

We made it through the first few years relatively unscathed.  Had kind of a rough start--after dealing with assorted spiders and cave moles, I had a lot of injured dwarfs to care for, and not a lot of resources.  It also turned out that I'd only brought one pick, which put all my digging on hold every time my miner got a strange mood or broke a limb in a cave-in.  By skipping ahead to the section on labor management, I got 1- and 2-dwarf teams of planters, brewers, healers, loggers, and builders set up long enough to see my first sets of immigrants and caravans, and it's been relatively smooth sailing ever since.

Now that I have a semi-autonomous dwarven colony, the next step is to find increasingly ambitious projects that will probably result in failure and radical death.

To that end, I've drained into the chasm a couple of murky pools which had been cluttering up my entryway, and rather than simply floor over the holes like a sensible person would, I'm systematically filling the pits with walls.  I also discovered that, since invalids won't drink alcohol, a well might be really helpful and should hopefully prevent unnecessary winter dehydration.  I built a culvert from the brook on the west side of the map all the way to my residential hall, where it drops a level and empties into the rift.  It seemed like a pretty good system, right up until the winter when the waterfall froze and the water, lacking any place to go, started rising up the stairs.  Some safety floodgates fixed that problem.

Still, it looks like water projects are the way to go, since there's almost certainly no magma on my map.  My next plan is to use screw pumps and water wheels to build a water tower and decorative water fall by my entrance, along with the floodgate controls necessary to reroute it into my central chamber.  That seems like exactly the sort of thing I can screw up magnificently.

I suspect I'll be invaded before I can get the thing ready.  Should be fun!
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

Dooly

• Who?
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2009, 02:13:11 AM »

If I stick my new Tax Collector into my magma-trapped "Noble Roaster" bedroom and kill him, will that end the economy?  I engraved the crap out of every room in my bedroom floor, and I don't want to have to make a ghetto for my peasants.
:painful: :painful: :painful: :painful: :painful: :painful: :painful: :painful:
:painful: :painful: :painful: :painful: :painful: :painful: :painful:

François

• Huh.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2009, 02:56:39 AM »

I'm pretty sure the economy is permanent.

I just turn on the RENTS = ZERO option (or whatever it's called) in the init file. Less trouble that way, and you still get shops and their related happy thoughts.

Esperath

• chesse nab
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2009, 11:34:21 PM »

RENTS=ZERO is good.  The other recommendation is to never ever mint any coins, ever.  When the economy starts up, everyone will essentially get credit accounts.  If you have coins, all of your dwarves will spend all of their time hauling coins back and forth rather than actually working.

Dooly

• Who?
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2009, 03:11:14 AM »

Do you have to have ZERO_RENT set to yes when starting your fortress?  I set it from no to yes right before the baroness and tax collector showed up, and yet I've still got a bunch of peasants sleeping in the barracks while there are nice rooms left unclaimed.
:painful: :painful: :painful: :painful: :painful: :painful: :painful:

Koah

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2009, 10:26:29 AM »

Do you have to have ZERO_RENT set to yes when starting your fortress?  I set it from no to yes right before the baroness and tax collector showed up, and yet I've still got a bunch of peasants sleeping in the barracks while there are nice rooms left unclaimed.

Yes.

The Artist Formerly Known As Yoji

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2009, 10:39:15 AM »

François

• Huh.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2009, 01:47:20 PM »

that'll teach him to not make diamond-studded socks for the mayor when asked to

Esperath

• chesse nab
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2009, 03:58:35 PM »

Yes.

I was actually able to toggle this mid-game.  Once the economy starts up, you may have to go to all of your non-noble beds and specify them as 'available for rental,' even if the rental price is zero. 

jsnlxndrlv

• Custom Title
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2009, 07:04:58 AM »

So, in the next version, there are randomized megabeasts. Take a look at the raw coding for two of these things. Can't wait to be destroyed by one.
Signature:

Shinra

• Big Juicy Winners
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2009, 09:43:38 AM »

the last big fortress I made, the dungeon master threw a party in the fort's prison.

Nobody came. :(

McDohl

• Pika-boo
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2009, 05:08:25 PM »

Dwarven Justice!

...That's been my TF2 spray for months now.

Saturn

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2009, 06:47:00 PM »

So, in the next version, there are randomized megabeasts. Take a look at the raw coding for two of these things. Can't wait to be destroyed by one.

He should bring back the GROUNDHOG THAT ATTACKS WITH ITS ENTIRE HEAD for that

"I found a lot of things wrong with the groundhog bite today. First, a groundhog ripped a lion in half and bit off a dwarf's arms... and it was using every part of its head (eyes, nose, etc.), not just its teeth, for the biting. After I fixed that up, it was still using its teeth like little needles and piercing brains and so on. I eventually got that sorted out. "

François

• Huh.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2009, 10:58:21 AM »

The project for today and the next few days is setting up vertical connections between all of the layers, including but not limited to surface caves and volcanic features. This will also include the interfaces between hidden fun stuff and the friendlier layers. Ideally, an adventurer will be able to walk from some of the surface cave entrances all the way down to the worst the underground has to offer, passing through the various layers.

Oh, that's great, Toady. Wonderful idea, Toady. Let me pretend I'm playing Spelunky while I'm playing Dwarf Fortress, that'll cure my addiction.

Esperath

• chesse nab
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2009, 02:00:45 PM »

Hm, this is the first time I've had enemy dwarves assaulting me in conjunction with the goblin raids.

My dwarves are nice enough to give them proper burials afterwards. :3

Smiler

• HOM NOM NOM NOM
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2009, 07:42:42 AM »

Man, DF won't stop crashing. I have no clue what causes it.

Esperath

• chesse nab
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2009, 09:44:49 PM »

Code: [Select]
[22:40] <Romosome> you'll have so many nobles
[22:40] <Romosome> FOUR HUNDRED NOBLES
[22:40] <Esperath> AND THEY'LL BE DEPORTED BACK TO ADVUCAR
[22:40] <Esperath> CARP EEEYEEES
[22:40] <Romosome> you'll mine so fast Armok will be like SLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWN and you'll hit him in the face with your ENERGY BEARD
[22:41] <BongoBill> This object menaces with spikes of bone. This object is engraved with an image. It depicts two dwarves. The dwarves are drinking Powerthirst. The dwarves are SO ENERGETIC.
[22:41] <Mr_Saturn> the dwarves are kicking a goblin in the face with their ENERGY LEGS
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8