Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Poll

Black/White and Starter?

Black/Smugsnake
- 5 (18.5%)
Black/Sadotter
- 5 (18.5%)
Black/Firepig
- 3 (11.1%)
White/Smugsnake
- 5 (18.5%)
White/Sadotter
- 3 (11.1%)
White/Firepig
- 6 (22.2%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 78

Author Topic: Pokeymans  (Read 100606 times)

yyler

• Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Pokeymans
« Reply #60 on: March 24, 2009, 07:03:10 PM »

Actually, you can get rid of Flash now, but they replaced it with Defog. Same thing, but sometimes outdoors too! I THINK YOU MISSED THE POINT CHUCKLEFUCKS

Lady Duke

• Shiny Ranger
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 24, 2009, 07:04:11 PM »

Well it's exactly like flash.  You just bring along a random pokemon you'll never use that can learn it for that ONE area, and then get rid of it and never worry about the HM again.  In fact, I used to never even teach anything Flash because I knew the one cave you needed it for by heart.

yyler

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 24, 2009, 07:05:41 PM »

Same here, but you shouldn't have to do that :[

Lady Duke

• Shiny Ranger
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 24, 2009, 07:08:03 PM »

Eh.  I just don't find it to be detracting on the game very much.  It's expected and there are plenty of games where you have to do annoying stupid shit.

• Magic Gunner Miss Blue
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 24, 2009, 07:20:57 PM »

The islands are short and tiny and the only interesting battles are all against the likes of Rocket Executives, which is saying something. I'll grant you that Kanto was sparse in terms of added sidequests, but it had one big one that has never really been matched: eight additional gym leaders, the closest thing to a final boss the series has ever had, and an opportunity to revisit familiar places. Kanto had ambition! It had a sort of majesty to it. The substance just didn't live up to the appearance, given how many areas they had to gimp or cut out entirely.

If you didn't go FUCK YEAH in your young mind when

Pokemon Master RED would like to battle

Showed up, you need to get the hell out of my mans.

Bongo Bill

• Dinosaurcerer
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 24, 2009, 07:24:27 PM »

The reason why HMs cannot be forgotten at arbitrary locations is so that you can't get yourself stranded in a place where you need either an HM or an item to escape from. Scenario:

You have one mon in your current team with Surf, none with Fly or Teleport, no escape ropes, no nothing. HM03 is in your PC storage to make space for something. You surf out to a tiny island along Route... 14? Was it 14? There's no grass or trainers there. You use a Rare Candy on your mon with Surf, and he learns... fuckin' Bubblebeam or something. You delete Surf in favor of Bubblebeam. Then you save your game. How do you get off the island?

But yes, they should totally be special items or something. Instead of Surf, have A Boat that you can get that works as an alternative to Surf, and get it prior to HM03? I don't know.
...but is it art?

McDohl

• Pika-boo
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 24, 2009, 07:27:36 PM »

But then, you could be like "Oh crap, that was dumb."  Re-teach Surf to your mon, and get the hell out of there, go to a move tutor, and re-learn Bubblebeam.

EDIT: Read more better, Dohl.

See, that's probably why they took out the PC item storage all together.  Granted, the item system in D/P could use a lot of work, as my Pearl game's Items pocket has a metric fuckton of shit that I have to keep meticulously organized, or I end up having to scroll through pages and pages of crap until I find what I need.  Hell, for stuff I only have one of, like Exp Shares, I'd transfer one from another game and keep it at the top of my list just so I didn't have to scroll all the way to the bottom for it when I wanted to put it on another mon.

Norondor

• Where I'm at is: Fuck you, get shot
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 24, 2009, 07:28:18 PM »

The reason why HMs cannot be forgotten at arbitrary locations is so that you can't get yourself stranded in a place where you need either an HM or an item to escape from.

Or just make it so you can't take HMs out of your inventory.

Bongo Bill

• Dinosaurcerer
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 24, 2009, 07:34:34 PM »

All excellent solutions, yes. But that's why it worked that way in the first games, and by this point its probably just tradition. An ugly, ugly tradition.
...but is it art?

Alex

• the Slug
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 24, 2009, 07:38:40 PM »

Your Mewtwo might be the greatest psychic in the world, but he's no match for rocks, cliffsides, dense bushes and water will stop it dead!

I hate HM moves too.

McDohl

• Pika-boo
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 24, 2009, 07:39:36 PM »

Let's shift gears for a bit:

Vantage Master-style tactical Pokemon RPG.  y/b?

OR

Have you seen the strategy guide for this thing?  It'll deal 1d6 points of damage if you hit someone with it, jesus christ.

Bongo Bill

• Dinosaurcerer
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 24, 2009, 07:41:33 PM »

Vantage Master? Never heard of it. It's also not on Mobygames. Are you pretending again?

Your Mewtwo might be the greatest psychic in the world, but he's no match for rocks, cliffsides, dense bushes and water will stop it dead!

I hate HM moves too.
I seem to recall that Mewtwo could learn four of the first game's five HMs, though.
...but is it art?

yyler

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 24, 2009, 07:43:02 PM »

Dunno what Vantage Master is, but Pokemon does need a good RTS.

Bongo Bill

• Dinosaurcerer
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 24, 2009, 07:46:53 PM »

I do not want Pokemon to be associated with thoughts of the victory going to the fastest clicker. It's broken enough in its natural state!
...but is it art?

McDohl

• Pika-boo
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 24, 2009, 07:47:58 PM »

Sharkey's Vantage Master article on 1up.com.  Falcom created this game, and never actually released it for retail, so they put it on the intertubes for free.  The gist of it is you have a leader character who summons creatures on to the map, who you can directly control in a turn-based tactical RPG.

EDIT: Holy crap, 1up.com does terrible things to old articles.  You'll have to highlight the text of it to read it.  ::(:

Lottel

• You know that's right
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: March 24, 2009, 07:48:21 PM »

I don't really see a problem with HMs. The only ones you actually need on a regular basis are Fly and Surf. Both of which are good moves in battle. The others are not needed except in one or two spots and it takes a few seconds to put them on a pokemon you just caught and then forget about it in one of you dozens of boxes.
Doesn't seem bad to me.

Norondor

• Where I'm at is: Fuck you, get shot
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 24, 2009, 07:50:52 PM »

Tolerating lazy design is absolutely unacceptable

I would probably not have a problem with pokemon, but i have played games made by Valve.

Lady Duke

• Shiny Ranger
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 24, 2009, 07:55:29 PM »

I'd like pikkymens tactics.

JDigital

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 24, 2009, 07:58:14 PM »

I'm almost convinced to get back into Pokemon. Long RPGs always make me feel unproductive, though, like I could be doing something more profitable with the same time. (Then I waste the time anyway.)

It hits me that it's technically feasible to bring Pokemon from the first generation to current by engineering a cheat. It's possible for a PC program to communicate with the DS, using certain wifi cards with a special driver. It's also possible to edit a save file and use the R4 cartridge with a second DS to trade from that save file to a real Diamond/Pearl cart. Recreating the old pokemon is just a matter of reading its stat off the screen and deriving the EVs and approximate stat XP from that.

Warning - while you were typing 30 new replies have been posted. You may wish to review your post.

:over9000:

Bongo Bill

• Dinosaurcerer
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 24, 2009, 08:01:48 PM »

Pokemon in the first and second generation have slightly incompatible stats compared to the third and fourth. Then again, the first and second also had slightly incompatible stats compared to each other....
...but is it art?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 78