Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Author Topic: Cinematic FilmTrax 3000  (Read 15814 times)

Rosencrantz

• Renegade Game Counselor
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Cinematic FilmTrax 3000
« on: January 18, 2008, 02:09:30 AM »

New thread about guys who make fun of movies, as proposed by Thad.

I just got back from seeing the third RiffTrax Live with Moctobot in San Francisco. It wasn't quite as good as the first two shows (Daredevil and Over The Top), but that's really only because Plan Nine From Outer Space is a more painful movie. We still left with our jaws aching from laughter.

The only odd part was that this time, the crew didn't stick around for a Q&A session like they did before. We chalked it up to the show being later at night and the crowd being much, much larger (they filled up the Castro theater).

I still need to check out the first Cinematic Titanic movie. Has anyone here seen it yet, by chance?

S D S

• Who?
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Shawn Struck
Re: Cinematic FilmTrax 3000
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2008, 09:33:07 AM »

No, but after enjoying the RiffTrax take on the Star Wars Holiday Special (the actual special being both better and worse than I thought it would be), I'm certainly eager to check it out.

Detonator

• You made me come back for THIS?
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2008, 12:00:42 AM »

I watched the Cinematic Titanic DVD tonight.  I don't have the nostalgia that some may have for Joel, but it was pretty funny.  It's nice to see some obscure bad movies being riffed on (and this one is BAD).  They would also pause the film sometimes for little silhouette skits, which weren't very funny, but at least it's something they can do that Rifftrax can't.  Overall, a thumbs up, but I can't imagine paying $15 regularly for them.
"Imagine punching somebody so hard that they turned into a door. Then you found out that's where ALL doors come from, and you got initiated into a murder club that makes doors. The stronger you punch, the better the door. So there are like super strong murderers who punch people into Venetian doors and shit"

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2008, 01:56:37 PM »

Shout Factory gets MST3K DVD rights.

I think that's good news.  I've liked the Rhino stuff just fine, but Shout Factory puts out some damn fine DVD releases, especially for cult shows.  And the talk about downloads has my interest piqued, though if there's DRM they can fuck themselves.

There's also word of the movie getting a DVD rerelease, which is a good thing.  I have it on VHS, but it's probably time to upgrade.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2008, 12:56:38 AM »

/. interview with Joel.  Some interesting thoughts on copyrights (he's a moderate -- public domain good, copyrights last too long, but by the same token, please don't torrent MST3K eps that are available on DVD).  A hint in there that the real reason he left the show was that he and Mike had a falling-out; that WOULD tend to explain why there are two different groups doing this now.

(EDIT 2008-02-23: Joel has since confirmed he was talking about Jim Mallon, not Mike.)

DarkSchneider

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2008, 04:07:09 PM »

Mike has outright denied any rumors of a falling out between him and Joel.  He supposedly called Joel when he began the rifftrax project and didn't get any answers.

That being said, Joel's not exactly clear on which "partner" in the venture he means.  Don't forget that Jim Mallon was one of the guys who started Best Brains Inc. and he's the one who still owns the trademark on the S.O.L. and the bots (and he's got some side-project going as well that's just abysmally dumb.)

I'm not sure if it's Mike being better at keeping up appearances and not being angry about Joel, or if it's something Joel is angry at Mike for that Mike doesn't know about at all, or what.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2008, 08:55:22 PM »

True, but Joel's refusal to comment on RiffTrax/Film Crew seems to imply it was one of those guys (ie either Mike or Kevin; Bill didn't join up until years after Joel left).

I could be wrong, though.  None of them seem to have a cozy relationship with BBI at this point.

DarkSchneider

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2008, 02:50:41 AM »

It's pretty clear that Joel's got something against Mike, yeah.  Whether or not that's mutual or Mike even knows what it is is up in the air, but oh well--what it does mean is more riffs for us, the viewing public.

Joel et al seem to have aged a lot less well than Mike's crew.  Or maybe it's that Joel and Frank and Trace left several years before the show ended so the picture I have in my mind of them is some four or five years less recent than the image of Mike, Bill, and Kevin.

I've heard good things about Cinematic Titanic, actually, but I'm holding off on getting it for some unknown reason.  I know there were a metric assload of problems with its release schedule and such, and the way Joel's been going about it seems to be a "hey fuck you Mike" in general, which kind of doesn't sit too well with me.  The main reason I think I'm less interested in CT is that having become accustomed to watching a higher grade of film get mocked in general, at this point I just can't sit through the truly awful ones as readily.

That or it's the sheer amount of it I've already been subjected to by MST3K having built up to near-fatal levels of bad-movie toxicity in my brain.

Classic

• Happens more often than you'd think.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2008, 04:58:22 PM »

Joel did appear for that one episode... Was it... Soul Taker? Hobgoblins? During mike's run... And Mike & Co. are at least pro. enough to also not comment on it...

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2008, 09:42:58 PM »

Soultaker, yeah.  The tenth season premier.  Featured Joel and Frank.

Classic

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2008, 12:30:02 AM »

I haven't seen very many MST3K episodes, and the vast majority that I have seen have been Mike. What do you make of Joel's performance? Do you suppose Joel's upset for MST3K becoming Mike's show?

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2008, 03:58:11 PM »

Could be, though what he said implied he wasn't getting along with Mike BEFORE he handed the host reins over to him.  (Again, this is conjecture; he didn't say Mike's name and could just as easily have been referring to Jim Mallon or somebody else.  But he DOES seem to have a beef with Mike.)

I'm more of a Mike fan but Joel was a perfectly good host.  As a character he was more laid-back; as a comedian he focused more on sight gags than Mike did.  (Hence CT continuing with the silhouette format where Film Crew has given it up.)  The whole concept was originally Joel's, of course, and some of the best eps were Joel-era (most notably Manos, though a few of my other favorites are Godzilla vs. Megalon, Cave Dwellers, Pod People, and Joel's swan song, Mitchell).

As for the rest of the cast, I generally preferred Beaulieu's Crow to Corbett's, Murphy's Servo to Weinstein's, and Forrester/Frank to any other Mad combination.  So I guess that means seasons 5 and 6 were the sweet spot for me.  But don't get me wrong, I loved the whole series.

Cannon

• Hopes for a great many things
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2008, 01:11:58 AM »

Truth be told, I find a possible Joel/Mike rivalry to be a touch shattering. Yeah, it's lame of me. Monty Python and the original Star Trek cast weren't exactly bosom buddies within their respective circles, either. You just get so involved in the fiction and product that the reality hits you a bit harder, I guess. Bit like a small kid who loves meat wandering into a slaughter house during work hours, I suppose. I dunno'. Thad has proven that I stink at metaphors, but I think I've expressed myself properly.

Anyway, I'll be buying each show of Cinematic Titanic and snatching up each RiffTrax that interests me, to the point of pirating a feature if needed, and chiding my brother if he even thinks of getting the 'Trax for free. I'm a Joel lover, but I'm with the jerk up there in loving the whole series and the basic idea. Heck, I can't watch most any cartoon or bad movie without adding my own comments any more. It's by reflex.

I'm sure everyone that's present is thankful that I'm so funny, too. ::D:

Classic

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2008, 09:00:22 AM »

I'm sure everyone that's present is thankful that I'm so funny, too. ::D:

:whut:  I C WUT U DID THAR!!!  :smile: ++

Arc

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2008, 09:39:56 PM »

Naturally, my first RiffTrax choice was The Matrix. :cool:

I, uh, fell asleep thirty minutes in. :sadpanda:

They absolutely need a third heckler to fill the inexcusable dead air. Then it'll be gravy.

Fortinbras

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2008, 10:17:49 PM »

Generally prefer Mike to Joel, but only marginally.  Mike taking abuse from the bots was funnier than Joel being a father figure to them.  While a lot of the best movies riffed on were done pre-Mike, I think Mike-era MST would have done a better job on them, possibly not just because of Mike.  I liked him because he was more engaging, but in general they really knew what they were doing in the later seasons, and there was a ton more riffing going on.

If there is any ill will between the two, it might have to do with invention exchange and mailbag being sacked.  Joel seemed to really like those portions (I like them too, they feel like something I would have made when I was a kid and my friends got ahold of a video camera,) and iirc Mike was behind getting rid of them.  In general, I don't think Mike liked doing the puppet theaters.

I've been incredibly happy with Rifftrax so far, haven't seen any Cinematic Titanics.

Rosencrantz

• Renegade Game Counselor
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2008, 11:14:43 PM »

Naturally, my first RiffTrax choice was The Matrix. :cool:

I, uh, fell asleep thirty minutes in. :sadpanda:

They absolutely need a third heckler to fill the inexcusable dead air. Then it'll be gravy.

Well, there are a number of Rifftrax that have the Mike, Kevin, and Bill trio doing their thing.

Even then, I've found a lot of Rifftrax to be sort of hit or miss. The Matrix one really was somewhat boring, and not even the Trio could really salvage Battlefield Earth.

Has anyone watched the 300 'trax? I've been meaning to get it, but I'm worried that it won't live up to the sample:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2Bbwj3P4C4

(I originally tried making the words "the sample" link to that youtube page, but the forums removed the words and posted the embedded video instead.)

Disposable Ninja

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2008, 11:33:33 PM »

Hey, cool, Weird Al is doing the Jurassic Park RiffTrax.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2008, 11:41:02 PM »

While a lot of the best movies riffed on were done pre-Mike, I think Mike-era MST would have done a better job on them, possibly not just because of Mike.  I liked him because he was more engaging, but in general they really knew what they were doing in the later seasons, and there was a ton more riffing going on.

Right, I think THAT'S the thing -- Joel spent half his run figuring out how to do the damn thing; Mike perfected the formula.

If there is any ill will between the two, it might have to do with invention exchange and mailbag being sacked.  Joel seemed to really like those portions (I like them too, they feel like something I would have made when I was a kid and my friends got ahold of a video camera,) and iirc Mike was behind getting rid of them.  In general, I don't think Mike liked doing the puppet theaters.

Invention Exchange WAS Joel's baby, and that's EXACTLY why Mike got rid of it after a few eps in.  His inventions just weren't as good.  I don't see Joel taking offense to that; it seems to me like one more Joel thing that they didn't continue with out of respect for him.  (See also: "Gizmonic" refs were all scrubbed after Joel left, at his own request.)

Mailbag actually continued, albeit infrequently, even into the Sci-Fi era.

Detonator

• You made me come back for THIS?
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2008, 06:02:24 AM »

Has anyone watched the 300 'trax? I've been meaning to get it, but I'm worried that it won't live up to the sample

I saw it.  I don't remember it being particularly great or bad, but I would still recommend it.
"Imagine punching somebody so hard that they turned into a door. Then you found out that's where ALL doors come from, and you got initiated into a murder club that makes doors. The stronger you punch, the better the door. So there are like super strong murderers who punch people into Venetian doors and shit"
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6