Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 17

Author Topic: Suicide Club!  (Read 26934 times)

Cyan Prime

• a little queer
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Suicide Club!
« on: March 24, 2009, 06:24:42 PM »

So the way I see it, if your life is shitty, and you don't see any hope in sight than it's okay to kill yourself. If your friends and family actually cared they would have been there to help you before you did it.

Also I think it's rather selfish to tell someone not to kill themselves without offering a actual solution toe their problem. So many times I've heard things like "It'll get better" and "I'll pray for you" and it's just bullshit. If someone wants you to live so much they should be willing to actually do something for you so your life is worth living.

I actually tried killing myself in February. It didn't go so well, or maybe it did depending on who you ask. But this thread isn't about me, but I know I'm going to get a ton of "You should kill yourself" replies anyway, but really. What is your stand on it? Is it good? Is it bad? Is there a time when your opinion of it changes?

Kazz

• Projekt Direktor
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Suicide Club!
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2009, 06:25:43 PM »

whatever sinks your boat

sei

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2009, 06:26:12 PM »

Circumstantial.

If one can expect more good than bad, then life seems to be worth living.  The question is a personal one.  Does anything offset enduring the pain/tedium/other-bad that has you considering suicide to begin with.  If not, is there a reasonable chance that something will come along?

If the bad is winning by a slim margin, is anything (potentially) available to mitigate the bad?

Beat Bandit

• be entranced by my sexy rhythm
  • High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2009, 06:36:40 PM »

If you are currently at a point in life where you should be contributing to society as a whole or your own personal sphere and are not, and do not see an immediate future where you would be there's really nothing wrong with offing yourself, you're just wasting resources.

Think of Starcraft. Say you ran out of unit space before a big fight and you have two zealots with practically no health, you'd destroy them to free up the units for a unit that would actually be helpful in the time being, right?

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2009, 06:38:41 PM »

If you're, say, trapped in a Vietnamese prison, or missing all four limbs, or a vegetable, or staring stupidly at a bunch of Reavers off-camera, then yeah, I think it's in the interest of humanity that you put an end to it.

If you have any inkling of an ounce of potential to change your current situation, then running from that is abject cowardice.  From my position I'd be lying if I said I didn't understand, but that doesn't mean it's a forgivable thing.

...I'm going to have to double up my bus quota for next month.

Detonator

• You made me come back for THIS?
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2009, 06:39:56 PM »

If you are currently at a point in life where you should be contributing to society as a whole or your own personal sphere and are not, and do not see an immediate future where you would be there's really nothing wrong with offing yourself, you're just wasting resources.

Think of Starcraft. Say you ran out of unit space before a big fight and you have two zealots with practically no health, you'd destroy them to free up the units for a unit that would actually be helpful in the time being, right?

So in this analogy, the injured zealot is the guy making Starcraft analogies?
"Imagine punching somebody so hard that they turned into a door. Then you found out that's where ALL doors come from, and you got initiated into a murder club that makes doors. The stronger you punch, the better the door. So there are like super strong murderers who punch people into Venetian doors and shit"

Beat Bandit

• High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2009, 06:41:39 PM »

If you're, say, trapped in a Vietnamese prison, or missing all four limbs, or a vegetable, or staring stupidly at a bunch of Reavers off-camera, then yeah, I think it's in the interest of humanity that you put an end to it.

If you have any inkling of an ounce of potential to change your current situation, then running from that is abject cowardice.  From my position I'd be lying if I said I didn't understand, but that doesn't mean it's a forgivable thing.

...I'm going to have to double up my bus quota for next month.
When I think of people killing themselves, the first thing I see isn't missed potential, but expressway lanes opening up and supermarket lines shortening.

So in this analogy, the injured zealot is the guy making Starcraft analogies?
He knew he may one day give is life for Auir.

Kazz

• Projekt Direktor
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2009, 06:43:13 PM »

You know, 97% of humanity is not actively producing resources for the rest of us, and most of that lot aren't bettering humanity in any meaningful way.

Let's not pretend that our continued survival is a concern.

If you don't want to stick around, nobody's going to make you.  At the same time, you're welcome to stay.  As much as any of us, anyway.

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2009, 06:47:59 PM »

When I think of people killing themselves, the first thing I see isn't missed potential, but expressway lanes opening up and supermarket lines shortening.

See, but he could have been a construction worker.  Or a grocery store manager.  Or built the motherfucking flying car already so we wouldn't have those problems.

...well, he was stupid enough to get himself killed, so probably not, but you get my drift.

But, okay, think of the last guy you probably heard of offing himself ::(: and try to decide whether or not there was any missed potential there.

Norondor

• Where I'm at is: Fuck you, get shot
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2009, 06:49:52 PM »

Quote from: Rygaron
Rygaron

Anonymous is fucking legion xD

Catloaf

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2009, 06:57:55 PM »

Never kill yourself.  Give all your money to a therapist.  They'll help you contribute to society while you give them something to do with their degrees in philosophy.

Beat Bandit

• High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2009, 07:00:03 PM »

To sum up my views on suicide, they seem pretty close to Kazz's: If you kill yourself, there is an about a 2 in 70 000 000 chance that I will care so go for it, I guess?

Kazz

• Projekt Direktor
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2009, 07:00:42 PM »

therapist
philosophy
:perfect:

also rygaron don't lump your views in with mine

i let my zealots die in battle like heroes

Lady Duke

• Shiny Ranger
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2009, 07:02:09 PM »

I only see suicide as acceptable really when you're just super old and in nothing but pain and your quality of life is just so horrifically terrible nothing you can do will ever make it any better.  

So young people without like, severe terminal diseases that will kill them very soon don't really have a reason to be committing suicide in my books.  That's just...young adulthood for you I guess.

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2009, 07:04:21 PM »

Well to be fair if I don't know you I'm not going to care if you die, so I guess I agree with Rygaron there.  But if you ask me, I'm going to say what I just did, only probably with more swear words.

Norondor

• Where I'm at is: Fuck you, get shot
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2009, 07:06:10 PM »

To sum up my views on suicide, they seem pretty close to Kazz's: If you kill yourself, there is an about a 2 in 70 000 000 chance that I will care so go for it, I guess?

soup /b/ post ending in 77 decides what i name my cock xD

Kazz

• Projekt Direktor
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2009, 07:08:04 PM »

someone who's going to kill himself doesn't go to his friends and go "hey dudes, should i kill myself? y/b"

that's what someone who wants attention does

someone who's going to kill himself is too dead to ask anybody anything

Fredward

• a romantic soul
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2009, 07:21:45 PM »

I'm with Ryg and Kazz. And Noro: if we were Anonymous, we'd be telling OP to kill himself because nobody likes the video games he makes. But we aren't, so we're not.
Quote from: Brentai
It's never easy to tell just where the line is between physical malady and the general crushing horror of life itself.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2009, 07:22:27 PM »

Given that there is maybe a 50% chance that CyanPrime is basically asking us to give us reasons for him not to kill himself (in a rather roundabout way), I must say that Ah ah ah! You guys kill me! you guys really inspire faith my fellow man.

If you want to talk about stupid "Darwinist" bullshit, then start talking about it on the grand scale and get with the genocide plans and the doomsday machines. But at the level of the individual, these kinds of selfish little misanthropic displays are out-and-out retarded. I didn't realize I'd been on an Aspergers forum this whole time.

someone who's going to kill himself doesn't go to his friends and go "hey dudes, should i kill myself? y/b"

Actually, they do. Yes. That tends to be the 'cry for help'-type of attention whore suicide, but dead is still dead, last time I checked. Plenty of "Oh I didn't really mean to kill myself suicides end in "Oh shit!" REAL DEATH.

----

I'm more interested in Cyan's actual circumstances. Speaking as someone who daily confronts the question "What do you do if you really are a loser without hope but do not wish to kill yourself?", I'd like to know what you consider to be failure and/or non-contribution?

Because the way I look at it, either your proximity to the problem blinds you to a simple solution OR you do have a serious problem which you can perhaps be helped with.

Do you have full or partial acute depressive episodes where people can't communicate with you and you can't do anything? Or is it more of a general malaise, combined with failure and/or lack of hope in whatever goals you may have set for yourself?

I mean, it's more than me just trying to play "retard on the internet wants to HELP you". Suicide is a personal thing, and you can't put these kinds of questions into perspective without the relevant information.

----

As for my general thoughts on suicide, I always looked at it like this ('you' and 'your' being used in a purely general sense below):

If I ever found myself in a position where I just couldn't take it any more, I would instead resolve to be a homeless deranged derelict. You effectively drop out of society, you can say and do just about anything you want, you're no burden on family or friends if you just disappear, and substance abuse becomes a happily accepted way of dealing with your issues.

The lifestyle will probably kill you quickly enough and if by any chance, you're not dead after a while and you feel like you made a mistake, like you feel like "coming back to life", the option is a whole lot more feasible than if you really kill yourself. Yes, you may have health issues, and will have lost years off your life, but hey, considering death was the alternative and you just decided to live, you're already up by more than you could ever normally hope to be in that circumstance.

Beat Bandit

• High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2009, 07:22:36 PM »

soup /b/ post ending in 77 decides what i name my cock xD
Tiffany.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 17